PDA

View Full Version : Jermichael Decorean Finley, PhD, Chemistry, University of Texas - Green Bay

pbmax
10-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Here we go again, Oct 11, 2012. http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/10/11/12/Finley-on-chemistry-with-Rodgers-It-take/landing_packers.html?blockID=803097&feedID=5065

As usual with the ham-handed yet loquacious one, there are some great quotes ("Rodgers blaming himself is a leader saying check yourself") in service of one, overriding theme; its not my fault.

QB needs to play better, line needs to block better, and from the last Chemistry Symposium in August, that he needs to be thrown the ball more.

Get out of everyone else's head J-Mike and concentrate on catching the ball.

mraynrand
10-12-2012, 11:17 AM
I agree with Finley - the offense's problems start with everyone.

gbgary
10-12-2012, 12:11 PM
that's not nearly as controversial as the greenbay radio media were making it out to be last night.

Old School
10-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Somebody please stuff a sock in his mouth until Ted can send him packing. I'm sure DJ Williams can catch more than 10 of 20 passes - with his mouth closed.

George Cumby
10-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Just catch the ball, shut your cheese-pipe and see what that does for chemistry.

Brandon494
10-12-2012, 01:00 PM
"And I need the quarterback on my side, and I need to catch the ball when he throws it to me. So it takes two things to get that going, the chemistry. I feel we need to get that going."

I don't think hes trying to blame Rodgers but instead he is saying he wants them to get better. Maybe he shouldn't have said it or at least have said it in another way but its Finley man, what do he suppose to say?

LP
10-12-2012, 01:04 PM
"And I need the quarterback on my side, and I need to catch the ball when he throws it to me. So it takes two things to get that going, the chemistry. I feel we need to get that going."

I don't think hes trying to blame Rodgers but instead he is saying he wants them to get better. Maybe he shouldn't have said it or at least have said it in another way but its Finley man, what do he suppose to say?

Nothing would be good.

pbmax
10-12-2012, 01:15 PM
He needs to stop trying to put things in context, even if, as Rand jokes, there actually ARE things to be put into context this year due to offensive ineptitude.

He needs to be 100% about catching the ball, privately and publicly. If this was the first go around, then everyone would understand. Only a few blinked when Jennings was beefing about targets a couple of years ago. But when the trouble hasn't subsided for a year plus now and the excuses are 3 years old now, patience is thin.

The same way Rodgers needs reminding about his public reactions on the field occasionally? Finley needs reminders about perception and distraction off the field. If he was catching everything, it would only be the most obvious of statements. What do he suppose to say? "I am continuing to work on catching every ball and blocking everything else".

Brandon494
10-12-2012, 01:23 PM
I don't see the big deal but maybe because its Finley and I'm use to it by now.

mraynrand
10-12-2012, 01:47 PM

I agree. Finley would be better served to say nothing, but then people would be saying "What are we getting the silent treatment from Finley?" Lose, lose situation.

Finley's getting the Buckley treatment, and he's nowhere near that level of controversial. I just hope he plays well, catches a lot of passes; enough so that the Packers win, people stop talking about his 'attitude', but not so much that his head swells. That's probably asking too much.

mraynrand
10-12-2012, 01:49 PM
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Finleywish.jpg

QBME
10-12-2012, 02:16 PM
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Finleywish.jpg

Dang Mr. Rand, things slow up there on the 12th floor today?

mraynrand
10-12-2012, 02:26 PM
What do I supposed to do?

pbmax
10-12-2012, 02:33 PM
I'd take a sandwich. But as for Finley's comments, its a rerun. An unsatisfying rerun. A reminder that things are not how they should be, but as they are. Disappointment.

I am going to need to start a Finley Elegiac Tumblr. I might also need to go outside.

Pugger
10-12-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm still trying to figure out if there is a story here. A TE tells a reporter he doesn't have good chemistry yet with his QB and how it is still a work in progress. I guess it is only a big brouhaha because the player speaking is Finley.

Patler
10-12-2012, 04:20 PM
In and of itself, this and many of his other comments are fairly innocuous. It's when you put them all together, year after year, and watch his performances and failings, and even some of his mannerisms that it gets tiring.

During that interview he said a lot of different things, including:

“When I catch a ball in the first half, I mean the first quarter, the first few plays, and I don’t touch the ball until half, I get out of my groove, man,” Finley said. “It’s natural. You need to get your playmakers involved early, you know what I mean, to keep impacting the game.”

Time after time, he seems to be looking for an external reason for his lackluster play, rather than looking at himself. It seems that in his mind, everything would be good, if they would just throw to him more.

All that really needs to happen is that he needs to be where he is expected to be, he needs to catch the ball consistently, and he needs to truly be a playmaker by making more of the difficult catches, etc. Those are all things within his own control. When he starts doing those things, the ball will come his way more often, I suspect.

sharpe1027
10-12-2012, 04:23 PM
In and of itself, this and many of his other comments are fairly innocuous. It's when you put them all together, year after year, and watch his performances and failings, and even some of his mannerisms that it gets tiring.

During that interview he said a lot of different things, including:

Time after time, he seems to be looking for an external reason for his lackluster play, rather than looking at himself. It seems that in his mind, everything would be good, if they would just throw to him more.

All that really needs to happen is that he needs to be where he is expected to be, he needs to catch the ball consistently, and he needs to truly be a playmaker by making more of the difficult catches, etc. Those are all things within his own control. When he starts doing those things, the ball will come his way more often, I suspect.

It's kind of funny because there are less total pass plays when drives keep getting killed by dropped passes.

Patler
10-12-2012, 04:30 PM
It's kind of funny because there are less total pass plays when drives keep getting killed by dropped passes.

Good point, but I doubt that has entered his thinking.

mraynrand
10-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Good point, but I doubt that has entered his thinking.

He is busy trying to rationalize hybrid orbitals. Is that Chloride, Chlorine, or Chlorate? Cut him some slack.

Bretsky
10-12-2012, 09:08 PM
He is busy trying to rationalize hybrid orbitals. Is that Chloride, Chlorine, or Chlorate? Cut him some slack.

Dear Jermichael

SUAP= Shut Up And Play

George Cumby
10-12-2012, 09:12 PM

repped

MadtownPacker
10-12-2012, 09:24 PM

This MFer and his 40 acres and a mule attitude are some bulllssshhhittt! Ship his ass off and give ANYONE else a chance because the talk of finley changing defenses is crap. He is single covered (and not even that tight most of the time) when he drops what seems like every pass that comes close to him. Is he worried about getting hit/hurt and a defender in striking distance panics him? His QB needs to get his back? Does he want Rodgers to fucking hand it off to him? ARod should do that and then tell finley "run with the ball instead of your fucking mouth". Fuck this fool, he isn't special by any means IMO.

George Cumby
10-13-2012, 12:20 AM
This MFer and his 40 acres and a mule attitude are some bulllssshhhittt! Ship his ass off and give ANYONE else a chance because the talk of finley changing defenses is crap. He is single covered (and not even that tight most of the time) when he drops what seems like every pass that comes close to him. Is he worried about getting hit/hurt and a defender in striking distance panics him? His QB needs to get his back? Does he want Rodgers to fucking hand it off to him? ARod should do that and then tell finley "run with the ball instead of your fucking mouth". Fuck this fool, he isn't special by any means IMO.

What the Angry Mexican said.

Pugger
10-13-2012, 10:27 AM

Until Quarless returns we don't have another TE on this roster that can stretch the field like Finley does. I agree, JF has to catch the damn ball. But don't worry, we'll have that dynamite combo of Crabtree and Taylor out there tomorrow night dropping passes against the Texans' defense instead.

LegandofthePack15
10-13-2012, 10:28 AM
I still have faith in J-Mike. Folks seem to forget that back in '09 Finley could catch a bullet blindfolded. Took a bullet for the Packers in '10 trying to recover Lee's motherfucking fumble. Lost his mojo while on the IR. But like Austin Powers, Finley will eventually recover his mojo. When? Pretty soon. I hope.

Smidgeon
10-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Until Quarless returns we don't have another TE on this roster that can stretch the field like Finley does. I agree, JF has to catch the damn ball. But don't worry, we'll have that dynamite combo of Crabtree and Taylor out there tomorrow night dropping passes against the Texans' defense instead.

I find it easy to root for Quarless for some reason. Even when he was being maligned, I was still in his corner. But even though he tested more athletically than Finley (combine numbers), he never seemed to play more athletically and seemed to be more of an inline blocker despite being a highly touted receiver in college. Who knows? Maybe that means he'll be the most complete TE the Packers have had in years, someone who can block and stretch the field. I hope that he comes back strong. I'm still rooting for him.

Smidgeon
10-13-2012, 10:45 AM
I still have faith in J-Mike. Folks seem to forget that back in '09 Finley could catch a bullet blindfolded. Took a bullet for the Packers in '10 trying to recover Lee's motherfucking fumble. Lost his mojo while on the IR. But like Austin Powers, Finley will eventually recover his mojo. When? Pretty soon. I hope.

I don't know why, but he definitely didn't come back from that injury. Maybe he's physically back, but something's off mentally then. Because he's not the same player he was before even though he's young enough to make a full recovery. The guy is still only 25 years old or something.

mraynrand
10-13-2012, 11:09 AM

Preach it! I'm still on board the Finley bandwagon! He will return! Keep up the faith!!!

http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/terrell_buckley_2002_02_03.jpg

Patler
10-13-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure who the real Jermichael Finley is, the one who caught everything in late 2009 and early 2010, or the one who has lapses catching the ball. I did a summary of his history in a thread last year, the highlights were these:

- He had lapses in college, to the extent that many scouting reports before the draft raised his ability to catch the ball consistently as a concern. Interestingly, all seemed to agree that, unlike for some receivers, it had nothing to do with his ability to catch the ball, because he had good hands and clearly was able to make all the catches. He caught the ball easily and fluidly most of the time. The problem seemed to be lack of attention to detail, lack of focus.

- He had some drops he shouldn't have had as a rookie, and coaches wondered why because he normally caught the ball so naturally.

- He committed himself to improving after his rookie year, and seemed to make a huge turnaround, to the extent that in late 2009, training camp of 2010 and early season 2010 he literally caught everything. At one point late in camp, they mentioned that Finley had not one single play that could be considered a drop. In early 2010 Rodgers and the offense focused on Finley, and he made easy and difficult catches with ease. He seemed like a maturing player who had learned how to be a professional. Even his attitude and comments changed in the off season following his rookie year, and that seemed to carry forward to the off season before 2010.

- Everything seemed to change again after his injury, he reverted back to what we saw and heard from him as a rookie. A comment here, a comment there, the Super Bowl picture flap. Then TC 2011 rolled around, and his catching of the ball again became suspect. It carried into the season, and has seemed to get progressively worse. Comments from him continue.

It is a building pile that may make it difficult if not impossible for him to re-emerge as a star in GB. I think he has an image of himself that his performance on the field no longer matches. It appears that he expects things will change without recognizing that he has to change them. He needs a reawakening, much like he seemed to have after his rookie season.

I suspect he will never be in GB what we expected from that season or so of games that started during 2009 and continued until his injury in 2010. However, I will not be at all surprised if he leaves GB and becomes that player after a fresh start somewhere else. He is still young enough to do it. Situations arise where it is best for the team and the player if they go there separate ways. The Packers and Finley might be getting to that point.

Best case scenario for everyone involved - Quarless comes back and looks healthy, and both he and Williams show promise as capable receivers, even if not with the same potential as Finley. In the off season, Finley is traded for a mid-round draft pick to a team with a decent QB and a need for a TE.

pbmax
10-13-2012, 11:26 AM
The only guess I can hazard, if its strictly a football related issue, is that he has started to worry about the future again. Having to focus on the here and now issues of being reliable and catching everything and being a teammate to be counted on worked in 09 and 10. But the injury may have refocused him on the short term nature of his career and concerns about his contract. He could even view the injury as proof that what is good for the team is not necessarily good for the individual.

Its neither illogical nor unreasonable to be concerned. Except that as currently manifested, he is costing his future dearly.

Patler
10-13-2012, 01:43 PM
The only guess I can hazard, if its strictly a football related issue, is that he has started to worry about the future again. Having to focus on the here and now issues of being reliable and catching everything and being a teammate to be counted on worked in 09 and 10. But the injury may have refocused him on the short term nature of his career and concerns about his contract. He could even view the injury as proof that what is good for the team is not necessarily good for the individual.

Its neither illogical nor unreasonable to be concerned. Except that as currently manifested, he is costing his future dearly.

Ya, it is difficult to understand the thinking of many 25 year olds, let alone the thinking of more outspoken 25-year old millionaires who become such as much from god-given physical ability as anything. They aren't exactly models for rational thinking and analysis! :lol:

The Packers didn't commit long term, but they threw $14 million (or whatever) on the table, with the only requirement being that he catch the ball when thrown to him. Doubts about what his earning power might be should be gone, and if he performs well enough this year to assure 2013, coupled with his rookie contract, his financial security is there.

Just catch the ball......

George Cumby
10-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Ya, it is difficult to understand the thinking of many 25 year olds, let alone the thinking of more outspoken 25-year old millionaires who become such as much from god-given physical ability as anything. They aren't exactly models for rational thinking and analysis! :lol:

The Packers didn't commit long term, but they threw $14 million (or whatever) on the table, with the only requirement being that he catch the ball when thrown to him. Doubts about what his earning power might be should be gone, and if he performs well enough this year to assure 2013, coupled with his rookie contract, his financial security is there.

Just catch the ball......

.... and shut the front door. If you know what I mean........

ThunderDan
10-15-2012, 08:54 AM
I have no problem with JerMichael running his mouth and saying stupid stuff when he is producing. I have defended him so far on that front.

When you are having the season he is in 2012 so far, you shut up and get to work.

pbmax
10-15-2012, 08:59 AM
He needs to send the family home to the Twin Cities, hire Apollo Creed and get the Eye of the Tiger back somewhere on a beach in SoCal.

mraynrand
10-15-2012, 09:02 AM
He needs to send the family home to the Twin Cities, hire Apollo Creed and get the Eye of the Tiger back somewhere on a beach in SoCal.

There will be a run on cut-off sweats

Brandon494
10-18-2012, 03:46 PM
McCarthy praises the efforts of TE Jermichael Finley

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/174830431.html

gbgary
10-19-2012, 12:02 PM
good=trains hard, plays hurt, clearly cares, good citizen, intelligent, very athletic.

bad=inconsistent, media magnet, dumb-ass agent.

Joemailman
10-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Just a reminder that he has in heart in the right place.

http://www.jermichaelfinley.com/wp-content/gallery/with-fans/img_4199.jpg

denverYooper
10-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Finley was 2/2 for 31 yards yesterday. Both receptions occurred in the 40 second drive at the end of the 1st half.

Smidgeon
10-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Finley was 2/2 for 31 yards yesterday. Both receptions occurred in the 40 second drive at the end of the 1st half.

Read in a JSO chat that Finley was getting separation in his routes all game long. Rodgers was just more comfortable throwing the ball to the receivers on hot streaks: Nelson, Cobb, and Jones.

3irty1
10-23-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm just as frustrated by Finley as anyone, not so much about his interviews because I don't care if he speaks in youtube comments when people put a mic in his face.

His drops are a problem. And they are numberous, not just prolific a la James Jones circa 2010. The thing is that with the type of player he has always been there are really only two possibilities. 1) He has Steve Blass syndrome and will go from glue-handed to stone-handed permanently for inexplicable reasons. Or he'll eventually recover and go back to being an offensive focal point. It sure seems to me like this level of drops is unsustainable for the type of player he is.

denverYooper
11-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Finley looks to regain "beast mode".

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/11%2F02%2F12_Finley_looks_to_regain_'beast_mode'/4401?feed=2

Fin got taken to the dean's office for a review of past academic achievements. He's now on double secret probation.

Joemailman
11-02-2012, 06:21 PM
What's a little disconcerting to me is that MM had to go back to 2009 for those highlights. I wonder if Finley is still capable of what he could do prior to his knee injury in 2010. The problem isn't just dropped balls. To me even when Finley catches the ball, he doesn't look like the matchup nightmare he was for opponents in 2009-10.

Patler
11-02-2012, 07:15 PM
I said this last year before the season, when Finley explained how he attempted to lose weight and why he did so (even though he assumed the coaches wouldn't like it). I still believe this now. He does not have the mindset of a TE. He sees himself as a WR. Consequently, he is not playing big; he is not playing physical. Maybe the frequent injuries have taken away his feeling of "toughness", but he plays smaller than he is. There is no beast in his game anymore.

mraynrand
11-02-2012, 11:15 PM
I said this last year before the season, when Finley explained how he attempted to lose weight and why he did so (even though he assumed the coaches wouldn't like it). I still believe this now. He does not have the mindset of a TE. He sees himself as a WR. Consequently, he is not playing big; he is not playing physical. Maybe the frequent injuries have taken away his feeling of "toughness", but he plays smaller than he is. There is no beast in his game anymore.

"Sorry I let you down, dad"

Bossman641
11-03-2012, 08:56 AM
What's a little disconcerting to me is that MM had to go back to 2009 for those highlights. I wonder if Finley is still capable of what he could do prior to his knee injury in 2010. The problem isn't just dropped balls. To me even when Finley catches the ball, he doesn't look like the matchup nightmare he was for opponents in 2009-10.

Said the same thing a few weeks ago when I pulled up the 2009 highlights. He doesn't seem very fast nowadays.

Fritz
11-03-2012, 04:55 PM

If he thinks he's a wide receiver then he should watch some Larry Fitzgerald highlights. That dude plays BIG.

Smidgeon
11-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Said the same thing a few weeks ago when I pulled up the 2009 highlights. He doesn't seem very fast nowadays.

He never was that fast. He had exceptional body control and exceptional catching ability. He could locate the ball in the air and contort his body into a position where he could catch the ball. Andrew Quarless tested more athletic and faster than Finley, but nobody would say that Quarless had Finley's talent. I wonder what happened to Finley's ability to contort for the ball. Did his recovery remove his agility and flexibility?

red
11-05-2012, 12:28 PM
There is no beast in his game anymore.

when was the last time we saw him do anything with the ball after he caught it? he seems to go down while making the catch or goes down as soon as he catches it.

you're right, there is no beast to him anymore. and its really concerning that he continues to start even though its clear as day that a-rod has lost all faith in him. crabtree (our blocking TE) has taken over running some of finleys deep routes and is actually making the plays

finley needs to be benched, its clear as can be to everyone but him and MM

pbmax
11-05-2012, 12:32 PM
when was the last time we saw him do anything with the ball after he caught it? he seems to go down while making the catch or goes down as soon as he catches it.

you're right, there is no beast to him anymore. and its really concerning that he continues to start even though its clear as day that a-rod has lost all faith in him. crabtree (our blocking TE) has taken over running some of finleys deep routes and is actually making the plays

finley needs to be benched, its clear as can be to everyone but him and MM

There is an element to his game, especially when he was dominating in the 09 playoffs and prior to his injury in '10 that is no longer available to him. He was about the only Packer that Rodgers would throw a tossup to and Finley usually got it. He would simply elevate and get it as others have mentioned. But with his hands betraying him, he doesn't get those throws except perhaps in the endzone.

And Rodgers has started to throw some jump balls to Nelson and Jones deep along the sideline. So I think its a certainty that his opportunities have changed and that has changed his game. But it started with his hands.

Bossman641
11-05-2012, 01:20 PM
He never was that fast. He had exceptional body control and exceptional catching ability. He could locate the ball in the air and contort his body into a position where he could catch the ball. Andrew Quarless tested more athletic and faster than Finley, but nobody would say that Quarless had Finley's talent. I wonder what happened to Finley's ability to contort for the ball. Did his recovery remove his agility and flexibility?

You're right he was never "that" fast but he looked a whole lot quicker than he does now. When's the last time you saw him make a guy miss?

Teamcheez1
11-05-2012, 03:23 PM
My biggest issue with Finley is what we will be paying him next year after seeing his production through 9 games. Granted, he could take off and become a real weapon for the rest of this season.

He is due a $3.5M roster bonus in March, along with his $4.45M salary next year. Am I to believe we will keep him on the roster for $8M due to his potential? I haven't seen it yet this year, whether it's injuries, scheme, or whatever. That money could be used for long term contracts for proven talent (Rodgers, Matthews, Raji).

Only time will tell.

Smidgeon
11-05-2012, 04:05 PM
You're right he was never "that" fast but he looked a whole lot quicker than he does now. When's the last time you saw him make a guy miss?

He makes Rodgers miss his throws all the time. :rs:

gbgary
12-15-2012, 10:04 PM
fin done in Green Bay... (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-seem-to-be-finished-with-finley-v081e07-183664521.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

RashanGary
12-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Well, the shit can Finley movement isn't looking nearly as retarded as it was in the last year or two.

Bretsky
12-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Perhaps I'm the eternal optimist, but the dude still has a lot of talent.

The value he has..........he's not utilized that way anymore. He's most effective going downfield and stretching the seam. GB often has him chipping on a block and running a short route.
No doubt the dude is immature. Maybe, wrongfully, he's bored with how GB uses him.

But part of me says GB is not giving him the chances in their playcalling to play to his strengths

red
12-15-2012, 11:52 PM

The value he has..........he's not utilized that way anymore. He's most effective going downfield and stretching the seam. GB often has him chipping on a block and running a short route.
No doubt the dude is immature. Maybe, wrongfully, he's bored with how GB uses him.

But part of me says GB is not giving him the chances in their playcalling to play to his strengths

maybe he should take advantage of the opportunities he gets now. if he did that, maybe he would have gotten more

and maybe its his half assing on the field that has derailed this offense this year

i say, i hope the door hits him square in the ass on the way out

Freak Out
12-16-2012, 01:53 AM
Well....let's hope he responds well with he latest leak and he kicks some ass. He knows he better show something to potential suitors.

Patler
12-16-2012, 06:30 AM

His down field routes seemed to become much less frequent right after he ran a few routes quite poorly, one resulting in an interception when, per the coaches, he failed to get deep enough by a couple yards before cutting off the route, which put him in the wrong place for a pass released before he made his cut.

It's all a matter of trust. If the coaches and QB can't trust you to do what you are supposed to do, and be where you are supposed to be, they will simplify what they do with you, and use you in ways that are less and less significant so if (when) you screw up, it has less impact. I think that is where the Packers have gotten with Finley.

mraynrand
12-16-2012, 07:31 AM
I hope the Packers can trade him, because the two most likely landing spots are Chicago and Minnesota. When motivated, this guy will kill defenses, and he'll certainly be motivated against the Packers.

Joemailman
12-16-2012, 08:02 AM
I hope the Packers can trade him, because the two most likely landing spots are Chicago and Minnesota. When motivated, this guy will kill defenses, and he'll certainly be motivated against the Packers.

They can probably trade him for a late round pick if his contract isn't a big issue. Finley has a base salary next year of 4.45 million. He also has a misc. bonus (roster bonus?) of 3.8 million. If a team trades for Finley, do they have to pay the bonus? Teams might be willing to trade for Finley if the price tag is 4.45 million. Not so sure about 8.25 million.

Bretsky
12-16-2012, 08:17 AM
They can probably trade him for a late round pick if his contract isn't a big issue. Finley has a base salary next year of 4.45 million. He also has a misc. bonus (roster bonus?) of 3.8 million. If a team trades for Finley, do they have to pay the bonus? Teams might be willing to trade for Finley if the price tag is 4.45 million. Not so sure about 8.25 million.

I am fairly sure if they trade him by March the new team would pay the bonus

They won't trade Finley unless they can give his current agent time to work out a deal with a new team.

This would be a hard bluff to make. They won't get much more than a lower draft pick for elite type talent because in the end most GM's will know he's getting cut anyways.

In the old days this would have Al Davis writtern all over it.........................Jerry Jones, anyone ?

pbmax
12-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Sounds like a leak meant to start a fire right before they wish to get hot.

Benching Colledge worked, not sure how Finley will respond to this. Its a lot more public but easier to deny.

Bob has one possible outcome nailed down here, but the phrase "barring a shocking turn of events in the next month or so" could mean a lot of different things. I do agree this is a decision they usually wait to make as they already budgeted for him. It will make a hash of the KGB and AJ Hawk examples.

pbmax
12-16-2012, 08:45 AM
I am fairly sure if they trade him by March the new team would pay the bonus

They won't trade Finley unless they can give his current agent time to work out a deal with a new team.

This would be a hard bluff to make. They won't get much more than a lower draft pick for elite type talent because in the end most GM's will know he's getting cut anyways.

In the old days this would have Al Davis writtern all over it.........................Jerry Jones, anyone ?

That's a good question. Would they hold the new team's feet to the fire? If they don't, he gets $7 million almost certainly, though not protected for injury. Would the market support giving him another $7 million in a new bonus for an extension?

Patler
12-16-2012, 08:49 AM
I hope the Packers can trade him, because the two most likely landing spots are Chicago and Minnesota.

I'm not sure the Vikings would have much interest. The already have two young, high 2nd round TEs in Kyle Rudolph and John Carlson. Rudolph has been said to be Ponder's favorite target, and has been at least OK. Carlson was pretty productive in Seattle before coming to MN for $25 million.

swede
12-16-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm not sure the Vikings would have much interest. The already have two young, high 2nd round TEs in Kyle Rudolph and John Carlson. Rudolph has been said to be Ponder's favorite target, and has been at least OK. Carlson was pretty productive in Seattle before coming to MN for $25 million.

This presupposes rational Viking front office decisions.

pbmax
12-16-2012, 08:57 AM
$8.750 million cap hit in 2013. Ouch. That will need to be renegotiated.

Packers probably absorb $500,000 of that. But its still a hefty number.

MadtownPacker
12-16-2012, 09:25 AM
I dont see why you sissy girls would be worried about him going to the bears or vikings. He doesnt fit either offense really. They have strong run games and we know finley aint trying to break a nail out there. Plus vikings wont want a nutjob fucking with there shaky, young QB's confidence. Finley cries about Rodgers? You seen how cutler acts with his teammates, he isnt considerate enough to use the kid gloves Rodgers has used with Finley all these years. The reality is the only NFCN team finely fits on is the lions. Dysfunctional would feel right at home for him.

Pugger
12-16-2012, 09:46 AM
If we move Finley who will be our starter? Quarless? We have no clue if he'll ever be the player he once was. Williams? Taylor? Crabby? How come none of these guys have been able to unseat Finley as our starter who most here have no use for? I say until we find someone better either in the offseason either in FA or the draft Finley isn't going anywhere.

MadtownPacker
12-16-2012, 09:58 AM
If we move Finley who will be our starter? Quarless? We have no clue if he'll ever be the player he once was. Williams? Taylor? Crabby? How come none of these guys have been able to unseat Finley as our starter who most here have no use for? I say until we find someone better either in the offseason either in FA or the draft Finley isn't going anywhere.Don't we have several clues that finley will never be the player he once was?

red
12-16-2012, 10:04 AM
If we move Finley who will be our starter? Quarless? We have no clue if he'll ever be the player he once was. Williams? Taylor? Crabby? How come none of these guys have been able to unseat Finley as our starter who most here have no use for? I say until we find someone better either in the offseason either in FA or the draft Finley isn't going anywhere.

maybe because we kept playing him based on potential?

i'm honestly more comfortable right now with crabtree then i am finley. crab isn't a world beater, but he can block AND make a catch when needed

Pugger
12-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Don't we have several clues that finley will never be the player he once was?

But at least he can get on the field.

Pugger
12-16-2012, 10:09 AM

i'm honestly more comfortable right now with crabtree then i am finley. crab isn't a world beater, but he can block AND make a catch when needed

Yes, Crabby is a good blocker - much better than Finley - but I've seen Crabtree drop a few passes too. If he was better than Finley he'd be the starter. I hope we find somebody better than any of the TEs we presently have on the roster in 2013.

red
12-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Yes, Crabby is a good blocker - much better than Finley - but I've seen Crabtree drop a few passes too. If he was better than Finley he'd be the starter. I hope we find somebody better than any of the TEs we presently have on the roster in 2013.

we have a ton of good WR's, even if jennings leaves. we don't need an all world TE, just a reliable one imo

MadtownPacker
12-16-2012, 10:18 AM
But at least he can get on the field.
I would hate to think being a warm body qualifies someone to be the starting TE for the Pack. Again, not saying finley is a Yugo but he is also not the Lamborghini he believes himself to be.

Joemailman
12-16-2012, 10:18 AM

Finley might be the Packers best TE right now, but you can't justify paying him 8 mil+ next year based on his recent performance. You want to keep Finley and lose Matthews or Raji? The Packers won a Super Bowl without Finley, so it's not like he's indispensable. Besides, who is to say that one of the young TE's couldn't match what Finley's done if given the playing time. It's not like Finley's set the bar very high this year.

pbmax
12-16-2012, 10:22 AM

The TE position, a year after it looked good for a generation, looks pretty shabby now, with a lot of unknowns.

Quarless is the closest physically to Finley and he needs to rebound from injury. He also needs to demonstrate he won't stumble over his own feet when he is wide open.

DJ Williams is all promise so far, with some good blocking thrown in.

Taylor is ST only so far and DJ is a better blocker.

Crabtree is a weapon like Havner. Its mostly because no one is paying attention to him. He is not the blocker Quarless became.

If Finley goes, another TE is coming in the draft guaranteed.

George Cumby
12-16-2012, 10:24 AM
I would hate to think being a warm body qualifies someone to be the starting TE for the Pack. Again, not saying finley is a Yugo but he is also not the Lamborghini he believes himself to be.

Ford Taurus.

MadtownPacker
12-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Just go to the fucking basketball courts and you will find another Finley.

red
12-16-2012, 10:28 AM
The TE position, a year after it looked good for a generation, looks pretty shabby now, with a lot of unknowns.

Quarless is the closest physically to Finley and he needs to rebound from injury. He also needs to demonstrate he won't stumble over his own feet when he is wide open.

DJ Williams is all promise so far, with some good blocking thrown in.

Taylor is ST only so far and DJ is a better blocker.

Crabtree is a weapon like Havner. Its mostly because no one is paying attention to him. He is not the blocker Quarless became.

If Finley goes, another TE is coming in the draft guaranteed.

wouldn't drafting a TE just be putting another TE on the team with "potential"

i think the team would also have to decide that quarless and/or williams is also a bust before investing another high round pick on a TE (rounds 1-3)

George Cumby
12-16-2012, 10:29 AM
wouldn't drafting a TE just be putting another TE on the team with "potential"

i think the team would also have to decide that quarless and/or williams is also a bust before investing another high round pick on a TE (rounds 1-3)

Crabby's a good blocker with an edge.

Williams and Quarless both have potential, the other kid, I don't know.

Pugger
12-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Crabby's a good blocker with an edge.

Williams and Quarless both have potential, the other kid, I don't know.

If Williams is so wonderful why was he a healthy scratch yesterday?

George Cumby
12-17-2012, 11:46 AM

Good point. Perhaps I am mistaken. :oops:

KYPack
12-17-2012, 11:51 AM

He looked like he had a little potential his rookie year.

This season?

The invisible man.

pbmax
12-17-2012, 11:59 AM
He looked like he had a little potential his rookie year.

This season?

The invisible man.

He can still block, though.

Smidgeon
12-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Well, all I've noticed is that ever since he and Rodgers started having one on one meetings, his production has started going up again and he's started showing those flashes of remarkability. I personally don't know what to do with him. I'd try to get him to renegotiate because he is talented and he showed some of that ability in the Bears game yesterday.

He also just said he wants to be a Packer for life. I'd use that to try to renegotiate. Maybe now he knows he isn't the Lamborghini and is willing to be paid like a Taurus.

denverYooper
12-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Well, all I've noticed is that ever since he and Rodgers started having one on one meetings, his production has started going up again and he's started showing those flashes of remarkability. I personally don't know what to do with him. I'd try to get him to renegotiate because he is talented and he showed some of that ability in the Bears game yesterday.

He also just said he wants to be a Packer for life. I'd use that to try to renegotiate. Maybe now he knows he isn't the Lamborghini and is willing to be paid like a Taurus.

A Taurus SHO, mind you. Nice little ride but not necessarily the panty dropper a Lambo is.

denverYooper
12-18-2012, 05:35 PM
The NFL TE Chemistry department is expanding. Welcome Vernon Davis!

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/18/vernon-davis-has-to-repeat-chemistry-with-a-new-qb/

Pugger
12-18-2012, 06:10 PM
He can still block, though.

So can Crabtree. Unless Finley really comes around in the coming weeks getting a TE that can stretch the field will need to be addressed this offseason.

gbgary
12-30-2012, 11:11 PM
set a club record for catches by a te.

pbmax
12-30-2012, 11:20 PM
set a club record for catches by a te.

You knew after than McGinn article something was going to happen. Unlike last year contract-itis, this time is was all good.

ThunderDan
12-31-2012, 07:51 AM
Finley had a very nice game yesterday. Not only did he catch the ball well, he blocked well in th run game and even pancaked his guy on a WR screen.

I m not saying this is going to happen but..... last year was a contract year for Finley and he had a horrible year.

Cheesehead Craig
12-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Finley stepped up real big yesterday. He's playing with some urgency. Too bad about that delay of game call as Rogers hit him in stride and he was gone.

red
12-31-2012, 07:17 PM
the problem that bothers me is that finley is finally stepping up his game, right after the whole money issue came up

is he all about the money like so many others, or is he a guy that will continue to produce even when his paycheck is secured?

denverYooper
12-31-2012, 07:25 PM
They're saving Finley for the playoffs. He's going for 150 on Saturday, 115 a week later on the 9ers.

Total explosion.

Boom.

pbmax
12-31-2012, 08:29 PM
the problem that bothers me is that finley is finally stepping up his game, right after the whole money issue came up

is he all about the money like so many others, or is he a guy that will continue to produce even when his paycheck is secured?

Can't be all about the money. Last year it screwed him up royally.

KYPack
12-31-2012, 11:24 PM
They're saving Finley for the playoffs. He's going for 150 on Saturday, 115 a week later on the 9ers.

Total explosion.

Boom.

Goes the dynamite.

pbmax
01-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport
Doing #Packers TEs story. @JermichaelF88's final 7 games ranked among best TEs in the game.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport
#Packers Finley would have had best catch percentage and second in YAC per catch among TEs.

Its just never going to be easy with this guy. Consistent with his inconsistency.