PDA

View Full Version : A. Green Part Deux

esoxx
10-15-2012, 12:00 AM
Good to see tonight's Packer resurgence include a coming out party for one Alex Green. Handled himself capabaly, ran tough, and had some shake and bake. Early success running helped get single coverage outside and made things easier on the pass game. A. Green back to the future.

pbmax
10-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Justin should step forward and take a bow. He's been rooting for him since he was drafted.

BobDobbs
10-15-2012, 02:17 AM
I watched Ahman Green. I was served by Ahman Green. I wished I was a friend of Ahman Green, and Alex Green, sir is no Ahman Green.

But, he might be a Cedrick "Lloyd" Benson.

Or at least give us a little something. I think he averaged 3 yards tonight. Nothing special. But if he can turn into an every down back with Starks getting some tough yards, then we might have a running game that can do a little damage this year.

What I want to know going forward is: Can we count on converting a 3rd and 1?

Overall, felt like they had to pay attention to our run game to stop it and that's really all we need.

channtheman
10-15-2012, 07:19 AM
We stuck with the run game which was so key. Usually we run somewhat successful runs for 2 or 3 plays and then instantly we think "okay, now we have to throw deep."

Joemailman
10-15-2012, 07:32 AM
He had some nice runs, but he averaged 3.0 YPC. Still too many runs that get little or nothing. He still has a lot to learn about reading a block and hitting the hole. The talent is there though if he can improve in that area. And he's great in the open field after catching a pass.

RashanGary
10-15-2012, 08:17 AM
I was shocked at how well he ready his blocks last night. It seemed like he hit the soft spot on just about every run. And really, he'll break a pretty big one every game if you keep feeding him the ball.

I like how he runs out of the gun. I like him in opens space. I liked how he ran tough, decisive and downhill. Speed, pass catching. . . . He seems to have the full package.

One play, he got on the outside a little. Rather than go up field, he tried to bounce it outside. 9 out of 10 times, when he was at Hawaii that probably worked. It's minor, but I was focusing on him last night. That, and an ineffective pass block.

mraynrand
10-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Cushing was out and the Packers went after the middle like a desperate business class traveler after that last outlet on the concourse.

Tony Oday
10-15-2012, 09:09 AM
I dont remember a lot of negative runs and that was #30's game that he would not have any negative runs then break a big one. The Texans are not a slouch against the run so I think great game out of the basic rookie.

sharpe1027
10-15-2012, 09:17 AM
He did very well, but I am not sold. For the most part, they ran the same play over and over. So, I can say 1) that he can run that one play very well against the Texans, 2) that he was pretty good in open space and 3) that he can catch the ball.

Several times I saw signs of parallel Darrell. One time in particular, he had a defender to his outside and instead of just cutting back to get the extra 2 yards, he tried running around the defender only to lose half a yard.

I like the kid, but one good game doesn't seal the deal for me just yet.

pbmax
10-15-2012, 09:44 AM
He did very well, but I am not sold. For the most part, they ran the same play over and over. So, I can say 1) that he can run that one play very well against the Texans, 2) that he was pretty good in open space and 3) that he can catch the ball.

Several times I saw signs of parallel Darrell. One time in particular, he had a defender to his outside and instead of just cutting back to get the extra 2 yards, he tried running around the defender only to lose half a yard.

I like the kid, but one good game doesn't seal the deal for me just yet.

It was clear from the game analysts and Dungy I think, that the Packers wanted to run against their dime sub-package, which is their go to pass D like the Packers use the 2-4 nickel. 3 ypc or not, he did what the Packers wanted/needed him to do. That was enough if not overwhelming.

smuggler
10-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Alex Green averaged almost 3.0 yards/carry!!! He's nothing special, but getting a few decent runs out of him forced the coverages that we wanted.

QBME
10-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Just a reminder that Green is now 12 months from tearing his ACL. A full year is what is commonly recognized as the recovery period for such an injury, and 18 months for all the "twitch" muscles to start firing again.

I liked what I saw, particularly taking the above into account. I think we're going to see steady improvement into a top notch runner.

Upnorth
10-15-2012, 10:11 AM
A consistent runner who tends to always get positive yardage is perfect for the packer O. 3 yards and a cloud of dust opens up our passing game, which we saw in this game. My concern is with no Cushing, how does that change the Houston D? Did we get lucky and face great D who has an injured superstar?

denverYooper
10-15-2012, 10:25 AM
It was clear from the game analysts and Dungy I think, that the Packers wanted to run against their dime sub-package, which is their go to pass D like the Packers use the 2-4 nickel. 3 ypc or not, he did what the Packers wanted/needed him to do. That was enough if not overwhelming.

It's just what they need to back off the other team's pass rush. I wonder how many were called and how many were run/pass options. It looked like many were of the latter variety.

Against worse defenses, too, Green looks like he'll break some longer runs -- there were a few against the Texans that looked like they might go longer -- and that should really give defenses something to think about.

Bossman641
10-15-2012, 10:56 AM
He was decent. He has shown he can break some tackles and make guys miss. Few complaints I have is that he missed a few holes and seems to be looking for the big play rather than picking up 2-3 extra yards he could get if he just finished the run. Hopefully with more reps his vision will improve.

sharpe1027
10-15-2012, 11:23 AM
He was decent. He has shown he can break some tackles and make guys miss. Few complaints I have is that he missed a few holes and seems to be looking for the big play rather than picking up 2-3 extra yards he could get if he just finished the run. Hopefully with more reps his vision will improve.

This is why I am cautious in my optimism. He hit the designated hole hard and fast, but he hasn't shown that he sees the cutback lanes.

I am worried that MM limited the play calling to hide his lack of vision.

swede
10-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Cushing was out and the Packers went after the middle like a desperate business class traveler after that last outlet on the concourse.

Your Dennis Miller button is turned way up today.

George Cumby
10-15-2012, 11:59 AM
I watched Ahman Green. I was served by Ahman Green. I wished I was a friend of Ahman Green, and Alex Green, sir is no Ahman Green.

But, he might be a Cedrick "Lloyd" Benson.

Or at least give us a little something. I think he averaged 3 yards tonight. Nothing special. But if he can turn into an every down back with Starks getting some tough yards, then we might have a running game that can do a little damage this year.

What I want to know going forward is: Can we count on converting a 3rd and 1?

Overall, felt like they had to pay attention to our run game to stop it and that's really all we need.

What the SubGenius said.

It was refreshing to see M3 stay with the run consistently. Watching Houston pause that beat to honor the play action was giving me wood.

swede
10-15-2012, 12:12 PM
I thought the running game was effective enough to warrant running the ball on the various 2nd and 1's and 3rd and 1's that were generally brought about by AG's runs. I yelled when I didn't get what I wanted. Whatever. The offense did fine without my advice, and I guess if ARod is your quarterback you start to see a short pass as a surer thing.

But Stubby isn't going to learn to love the run without making a romantic commitment to 2nd and 3rd down short yardage. Maybe a little soft music and a neck massage is in order when the time is right.

Cue Barry White vocals:

Baby you know the time is right
Third and one is a sweet, sweet sight
Cut the backside and pull a guard
Tight end is there and you're running hard

I love you best when you're covered with grass
Now's not the time for a 90 yard pass
Don't need to throw it from here to downtown
Just time off the clock and a fresh set of downs

Oh...yeah...

Spaulding
10-15-2012, 12:14 PM
This is why I am cautious in my optimism. He hit the designated hole hard and fast, but he hasn't shown that he sees the cutback lanes.

I am worried that MM limited the play calling to hide his lack of vision.

Agreed that his field/lane vision looked pretty good. Was definitely impressed with his overall awareness of the hole but found two flaws:

- seemed to at times run too far laterally when the lane wasn't there and thus rather than gaining a yard or two, gained nothing or lost a yard trying to take the run wide

- didn't seem to run with a lot of force, seemed to be easily tripped, go down, be stopped with regard to forward progress

Overall though, not bad and will make a nice complement to Benson if he can make it back again this year.

George Cumby
10-15-2012, 12:16 PM
I thought the running game was effective enough to warrant running the ball on the various 2nd and 1's and 3rd and 1's that were generally brought about by AG's runs. I yelled when I didn't get what I wanted. Whatever. The offense did fine without my advice, and I guess if ARod is your quarterback you start to see a short pass as a surer thing.

But Stubby isn't going to learn to love the run without making a romantic commitment to 2nd and 3rd down short yardage. Maybe a little soft music and a neck massage is in order when the time is right.

Cue Barry White vocals:

Oh...yeah...

repped

mraynrand
10-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Cue Barry White vocals:

Oh...yeah...

That gets the Smoove B seal of approval
http://angrywhitedude.com/wp-content/uploads2/2009/07/smoove-b.jpg
"Smoove always will approve a poem that speaks of a sweet backside"

Smidgeon
10-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Agreed that his field/lane vision looked pretty good. Was definitely impressed with his overall awareness of the hole but found two flaws:

- seemed to at times run too far laterally when the lane wasn't there and thus rather than gaining a yard or two, gained nothing or lost a yard trying to take the run wide

- didn't seem to run with a lot of force, seemed to be easily tripped, go down, be stopped with regard to forward progress

Overall though, not bad and will make a nice complement to Benson if he can make it back again this year.

But with more juke and shake than Ryan Grant.