PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta ain't too happy today, esp with Donnetell

Oldwis
08-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Falcons have big issues on defense

By Terence Moore | Sunday, August 20, 2006, 12:16 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Green Bay, Wis. — Goodness knows, the Falcons showed long before the ninth game of last season that they couldn’t stop anything rushing their way in cleats and a helmet. It’s just that their run defense reached the epitome of silliness in November at the Georgia Dome, where they spurred the transition of Samkon Gado from fifth-string running back for the Green Bay Packers into Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor and John Brockington.

That’s why, with big and bad Gado across the way Saturday night at Lambeau Field, the Falcons’ starting defenders were even more obsessed with trying to use an otherwise meaningless exhibition game to take mighty steps toward solving their most glaring weakness.

Oh well. Big, bad Gado didn’t play against the Falcons’ starters this time, but it didn’t matter. With Brett Favre spending the first half on a cool Wisconsin evening slinging and connecting at will to Donald Driver on mostly slants patterns across the middle in a 38-10 victory, it was clear that the Falcons had another problem: They couldn’t stop the run or the pass. Worse, despite the addition of John Abraham to complement the splendid pass rushing skills of Patrick Kerney, the Falcons’ starting front seven couldn’t make Favre scramble for his life on his nearly 37-year-old legs.

Whether these are temporary problems or extended ones for the Falcons is debatable, but this is for sure: They still have issues on defense. Big ones. As a result, with the absolutely loaded Carolina Panthers three Sundays away, the Falcons are more of a championship tease than a championship threat at the moment.

Just last week in the Falcons’ exhibition opener, New England Patriots rookie Laurence Maroney became the Falcons’ latest Gado by torching what supposedly is an enhanced defense. So this was a huge moment in Lombardi’s house for Falcons defenders, both physically and mentally. In addition to Gado, the Packers have Najeh Davenport, a wonderful backup to Pro Bowl runner Ahman Green. Still, given its deficiencies at guard and center, the Green Bay offensive line doesn’t resemble Washington’s Hogs of lore. Try something like the Five Little Pigs, which is why the San Diego Chargers terrorized Favre last week for two sacks and five other clubbings before he mercifully was lifted.

Favre wasn’t sacked against the Falcons. Favre barely was touched.

Worse for the Falcons, somebody named Noah Herron also became Samkon Gado on at least one play. Not only did Herron plow through the middle of the Falcons’ defense with the greatest of ease (do you sense a theme here?) for a 10-yard gain, but Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall sprained his ankle along the way.

Not good. None of this is good for the Falcons. Given the Gado gashing of last season, and the Maroney mess of last week, the Falcons’ defense had even more of an incentive to get it right this time.

“The way you play preseason games, when you only have your first team out there for so long, it is paramount that you have a fast start, because you don’t have a third and fourth quarter to heal the wounds,” Kerney said, before reflecting on Gado, a guy so obscure that he carried the Bible more than the ball during his four years at Jerry Falwell’s Liberty University.

Even so, against the Falcons last year, Gado averaged more than four yards per carry along the way to 103 yards and two touchdowns. He also caught four passes for five yards and another touchdown. In the end, the Falcons suffered one of their most embarrassing losses ever (and that’s saying something for this franchise) with three turnovers that turned into 14 points for the Packers.

“The biggest problem was that we had an awful slow start, and we pretty much expended everything we had just to get back even with them,” Kerney said. “I’m not sure that was the tipping point of the season for us last year, but the Packers were sort of a [reeling] team at the time, and it never does help your confidence to lose to a team in that situation.”

Afterward, the Falcons dropped six of their last eight games, with opponents running at will. Opponents still are doing so, and every team that the Falcons play this season will have no less than a good running back. In order, we’re talking about DeShaun Foster, Cadillac Williams, Reggie Bush and Deuce McAllister, Edgerrin James, Tiki Barber, Willie Parker, Rudy Johnson, Kevin Jones, Reuben Droughns, Jamal Lewis, Bush and McAllister (again), Clinton Portis (if healthy), Williams (again), Julius Jones, Foster (again) and Brian Westbrook.

We’re also talking about the Falcons defense needing to get a clue.

Comments

By LT

August 20, 2006 12:58 AM |

I understand one fundamental aspect about winning football games at any level of play you must Block and Tackle. You can point to the teams who incorporates LIVE TACKLING in there everyday practices.. This team is weak, slow, and lacks instincts..I really wanted Mora to do well, I’m now question myself.. Donnetell, has to go!!! This defense is worse than it was with Reeves… At least he did not have any talent on his team…Last year when Hartwell was injured. I wrote the beginning of the down fall if Keith Brooking was placed in the Middle of the defense as middlelinebacker that decision by the Coaching Staff Still Haunts Them.. I truly hope that we can regain our aggressiveness, speed to the ball, and yes…Instincts..BLOCK and TACKLE that’s the GAME fundamental..fundamental..Fundamental

By keeping it REAL !

August 20, 2006 01:28 AM |

WHAT defense hartwell where defense line where. To all talk about how good the defense was going to be. we have BIG problems. please people colemam and what other scrub the put in is not doing the JOB. Duckett look real good the offense looks ok. DEFENSE our tackels are weak , they can’t play the run. If you saw the game what else can you say. Right now knapp is a head, and Dontell it’s looking real bad. The people we used in the middle are not doing the job.

Bretsky
08-20-2006, 11:42 PM
Interesting read; I noted before the game last week that our OL performance against Atlanta would be telling because their defense against the run is nowhere near as strong to San Diego's. To me if we weren't able to hold our own against the Falcons (which we did) then that was going to be a very bad sign.

I always thought Donatell was an average DC; nothing spectacular but not great either.

It should be interesting to see what occurs.

woodbuck27
08-20-2006, 11:43 PM
I'll have to check out the Falcons Fan Forum this week.

They are getting run over and that means trouble for . . . . .
their Defensive Co-Ordinator.

I don't use his name after 4-26. :mrgreen:

SD GB fan
08-21-2006, 12:13 AM
i think the article was a bit of an exaggeration. it made the packers sound like superbowl champs. hell it nearly compared herron and davenport to pro bowl running backs. the falcons need work but the article blew it out of proportions. i think they are still good for at least 7 games this season. they definitely have the talent for it.

RashanGary
08-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Atlanta blew their wad on Michael Vick. His salary is going to get progressively crippling.

Indy, Atlanta and Cinci are three teams that I think have short windows. If they miss this year or next, it's all over. Cap hell is a bitch and their about to enter it.

SD GB fan
08-21-2006, 12:19 AM
ya Indy..damn..most of their money is in manning, harrison, and wayne right? imagine keeping edge and then one of them getting hurt...

Bretsky
08-21-2006, 12:21 AM
ya Indy..damn..most of their money is in manning, harrison, and wayne right? imagine keeping edge and then one of them getting hurt...

And they still have to try to keep Freeney; I think his contract is up after this year.

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Atlanta blew their wad on Michael Vick. His salary is going to get progressively crippling.

Indy, Atlanta and Cinci are three teams that I think have short windows. If they miss this year or next, it's all over. Cap hell is a bitch and their about to enter it.

There is all kinds of CAP money available in future years and I do agree that Michael Vick will be making Franchise numbing money.They will never be any good till they trade him.

SkinBasket
08-21-2006, 06:34 AM
Calling themselves a championship tease is the biggest exaggeration in this article. I guess everyone these days believes they can win the big one in any given season, but seriously - they are still the ATL Falcons, and they are nowhere near being able to compete for any kind of championship. Unless finishing third in your division counts as some kind of championship for them.

BooHoo
08-21-2006, 10:04 AM

I have never been a Vick fan. They should look to trade him and start over.

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 10:19 AM

I have never been a Vick fan. They should look to trade him and start over.

Vick must be feeling some pressure. Man is he ever over rated.

They swollow Brett Favre up, with every put down, but he's going to really help us this season - if he's protected. He's got his PSYCHE'd HAT ON ! :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see what Ted Thompson will do, what direction he'll dictate for us - in reards to any REAL opportunity for sucess for "the Packers" this season.

Anyone ??

When is the first cut down date? It seems to me, that it's close to about 75 men on the TC Roster, and due around the 25th August? What's the dits on that question - anyone?

GO Packers !! Faith !!!!

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Calling themselves a championship tease is the biggest exaggeration in this article. I guess everyone these days believes they can win the big one in any given season, but seriously - they are still the ATL Falcons, and they are nowhere near being able to compete for any kind of championship. Unless finishing third in your division counts as some kind of championship for them.

SkinBasket:

I really believe we have the potential to play better than "the Falcons".

We have alot better QB and OUR "D" has such super upside and potential to dominate running teams, as long as the middle of OUR DL holds up. Lots of youth with piss and vinegar on OUR "D". The upside is enormous.

One game at a time to build cohesion - Team comaraderie and confidence ( SPIRIT )

Ahman Green may be OK. Young yet inexperienced talent fighting to step in to support him.

WR's Donald Driver and Greg Jennings, is better than we had last season - for Favre. We need a healthy Bubba Franks, Last season I don't believe he was prepared by the completion of TC.

The OL may mature faster than is normal? Hoping!!
GO PACKERS ! HOLD FAITH PACKER FANS - FOR 2006 !!

Astonishment
08-21-2006, 10:38 AM
The thing that really puzzels me about this article is that the Packers didn't have much (if any) success running against Atlanta's #1 defense. This looks like an article that was 95% writtten before the game, and than the author just stuck in some numbers after the game.

mraynrand
08-21-2006, 12:33 PM
This looks like an article that was 95% writtten before the game, and than the author just stuck in some numbers after the game.

Ahhhh, you're getting there! With insight like this, you too could be a reporter for a major metropolitan newspaper. Why report on the facts when you can just imagine what the outcome will be? maybe this is a case that is the opposite of Dan Rather's famous "forged, but accurate" and is "authentic, but inaccurate"

Partial
08-21-2006, 01:27 PM

And they still have to try to keep Freeney; I think his contract is up after this year.

it is, and he has noted he wants more than Peyton. While I don't think there window is closing since you can rebuild around a guy like Manning pretty quickly, I do think they'll lose Freeney and maybe a few other solid players.

Partial
08-21-2006, 01:32 PM

They were in the championship game what like two years ago? They're certainly one of the better teams in the NFC and we all know Vick can absolutely dominate a game, so I wouldn't say thats a falsehood by any stretch of the imagination

AtlPackFan
08-21-2006, 01:43 PM

A page out of Harry Potter. Donatell = Voldemort. "The defensive coordinator who shall not be named" :wink:

AtlPackFan
08-21-2006, 01:51 PM

They were in the championship game what like two years ago? They're certainly one of the better teams in the NFC and we all know Vick can absolutely dominate a game, so I wouldn't say thats a falsehood by any stretch of the imagination

IMO, Vick doesn't dominate games anymore...not like he did a few years back...not since teams have figured out how to defense him....keep him in front of you and make him beat you with the pass. He can't. He has a cannon for an arm but isn't very accurate and makes bad decisions when under pressure. I think he is highly overrated. Again...my opinion. But then I am a bit biased as you can see from my avatar.

I drank in this game. They replayed it on the NFL channel and again locally on Sunday! Love watching the Falcons loose...especially to us.

Partial
08-21-2006, 02:12 PM

IMO, Vick doesn't dominate games anymore...not like he did a few years back...not since teams have figured out how to defense him....keep him in front of you and make him beat you with the pass. He can't. He has a cannon for an arm but isn't very accurate and makes bad decisions when under pressure. I think he is highly overrated. Again...my opinion. But then I am a bit biased as you can see from my avatar.

I drank in this game. They replayed it on the NFL channel and again locally on Sunday! Love watching the Falcons loose...especially to us.

He needs some receivers in my opinion. I don't think they've ever been to generous with the caliber of targets they've given him

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 02:14 PM

A page out of Harry Potter. Donatell = Voldemort. "The defensive coordinator who shall not be named" :wink:

Really. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! FAITH FANS !!

AtlPackFan
08-21-2006, 03:10 PM
He needs some receivers in my opinion. I don't think they've ever been to generous with the caliber of targets they've given him

What? Peerless Price doesn't qualify?! :mrgreen:
I'll give you that other than Algie Crumpler, who IMO has turned into a nice TE, they haven't had much.

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Actually, I think Atlanta has a few receivers who would look a lot better playing for another QB: Michael Jenkins, Roddy White, and Brian Finneran (injured this year). You have to wonder how Price fell off so dramatically too. Buffalo resigned him, and they seem to think he's still a pretty good player.

AtlPackFan
08-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Actually, I think Atlanta has a few receivers who would look a lot better playing for another QB: Michael Jenkins, Roddy White, and Brian Finneran (injured this year). You have to wonder how Price fell off so dramatically too. Buffalo resigned him, and they seem to think he's still a pretty good player.

Finneran I like. I don't know much about the other two.

Your right of course, Price isn't that bad. My perception of what happened with Price is the Falcons signed him to be a #1 and expected him to be their savior at wide receiver. IMO, Price was always a nice #2 who could play #1 if needed...but he was never going to carry a team.

I have always contended that the Chargers got the better end of that deal big time...even without Brees. And I don't think the Falcons will ever do anything of note with Ron Mexico at the helm.