PDA

View Full Version : Head Coaches On The Hot/Warm Seat

Joemailman
10-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Hot Seat

Pat Shurmur/Cleveland: 5-17 in 1+ season. If Holmgren's successor brings in a new GM, he is likely gone unless the Browns stage a huger turnaround.

Norv Turner/San Diego: An embarrassing meltdown at home vs. Denver has to raise questions. This team hasn't been in the playoffs since 2009. Another playoff miss in 2012 could bring a change.

Andy Reid/Philadelphia: Tons of wins over the years, bit they are now an underachieving mistake-prone team. Eagles haven't won a playoff game since 2008.

Jason Garrett/Dallas: Another team that has some talent, but finds a way to lose games. At times, they don't look any more disciplined than they did under Wade Phillips. Besides, somebody has to be the fall guy for Jerry Jones' disastrous personnel moves.

Warm Seat

Rex Ryan/New York Jets: At times, this team seems to be in disarray on and off the field. Another playoff miss could have him in trouble. Woody Johnson can't like playing second fiddle to the Giants.

Chan Gailey/Buffalo: 13-25 so far in 2+ years. Another losing season might be too much, even in Buffalo.

Romeo Crennel/Kansas City: This team is a huge disappointment at 1-5. If this continues, Chiefs might decide that Crennel's failure as a head coach in Cleveland wasn't a fluke.

mraynrand
10-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Romeo Crennel/Kansas City: This team is a huge disappointment at 1-5. If this continues, Chiefs might decide that Crennel's failure as a head coach in Cleveland wasn't a fluke.

There's no way this guy lasts. I was shocked they kept him on.

Freak Out
10-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Norv and Reid are already gone. Vick is a dog and coach killer, Norv has been given how many chances now?

Guiness
10-16-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm shocked Turner is still there, and my amazement will grow if he is walking the sidelines this Sunday.

Rivers is turning into quite a coach killer himself.

Andy Reid/Philadelphia:
Castillo, the DC took the fall today. See how much time he buys himself with that move.

mraynrand
10-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Castillo, the DC took the fall today. See how much time he buys himself with that move.

how was the DC causing Vick to fumble and otherwise generally suck?

Guiness
10-17-2012, 01:01 AM

shook him up in practice?

Pugger
10-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Hot Seat

Pat Shurmur/Cleveland: 5-17 in 1+ season. If Holmgren's successor brings in a new GM, he is likely gone unless the Browns stage a huger turnaround.

Norv Turner/San Diego: An embarrassing meltdown at home vs. Denver has to raise questions. This team hasn't been in the playoffs since 2009. Another playoff miss in 2012 could bring a change.

Andy Reid/Philadelphia: Tons of wins over the years, bit they are now an underachieving mistake-prone team. Eagles haven't won a playoff game since 2008.

Jason Garrett/Dallas: Another team that has some talent, but finds a way to lose games. At times, they don't look any more disciplined than they did under Wade Phillips. Besides, somebody has to be the fall guy for Jerry Jones' disastrous personnel moves.

Warm Seat

Rex Ryan/New York Jets: At times, this team seems to be in disarray on and off the field. Another playoff miss could have him in trouble. Woody Johnson can't like playing second fiddle to the Giants.

Chan Gailey/Buffalo: 13-25 so far in 2+ years. Another losing season might be too much, even in Buffalo.

If I were Garrett I'd want to get the hell out of Dallas as long as that doofus Jones is attempting to play Madden with a real team. Of course the rest of the league prays Jerrah stays right where he is. ;)

Pugger
10-17-2012, 08:43 AM
There's no way this guy lasts. I was shocked they kept him on.

I suspect they kept him on because of his victory over us last year.

Patler
10-17-2012, 09:06 AM

Some coaches just have a profound impact on their teams. For example, haven't we all agreed that Slocum and/or Campen are responsible for anything wrong with the Packers? :-)

sharpe1027
10-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Some coaches just have a profound impact on their teams. For example, haven't we all agreed that Slocum and/or Campen are responsible for anything wrong with the Packers? :-)

Fire Slocum.

smuggler
10-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Fire Slocum!

KYPack
10-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Jim Schwartz?

His seat might be getting slightly elevated in temperature.

Not as bad as these guys.

It's sort of good to see Holmy bomb out at Cleve.

Good coach, but God, the Walrus is/was a terrible exec.

mraynrand
10-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Fire Slocum!

It's Wednesday! Remember the blocked FG! +1

mraynrand
10-17-2012, 10:25 AM
This talk of warm seats is kinda creepy

Gunakor
10-17-2012, 12:27 PM

It is Wednseday.

Fire Slocum.

mmmdk
10-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Gods, I'm bored...FIRE SLOCUM!

ThunderDan
10-17-2012, 04:45 PM
It's Wednesday! Remember the blocked FG! +1

PSSST.....It was a punt.

Guiness
10-17-2012, 05:36 PM
A lot being said about River's performance, how bad it was and that he's really to blame for the loss. While he did make the mistakes on the field, I can't believe Turner left him in there to make them. At some point didn't he realize the guy was not right and he needed to pull him? You don't leave a goalie in after he lets in three in a period.

Maybe you just don't do that to a QB. Favre threw 6 INT's against St-Louis and stayed in, as I recall.

Joemailman
10-17-2012, 06:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0

Fritz
10-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Like KY, I'd like to see the Schvantz feel some warmth, but he's on solid footing in Detroit. Even if the Leos tank the rest of the year, he'll be back next year and get one more shot, at least. The Lions like to think they are now a stable franchise, and they want to keep that feeling. For now.

Hasn't Rex Ryan worn out his welcome yet?

And Andy Reid - he's had plenty of time in Philly, but since his initial successes it hasn't been so hot, yet he bought some time by throwing Juan Castillo under a fast-moving bus. If I were a Philly fan, I'd be about done with ol' Andy.

smuggler
10-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Maybe you just don't do that to a QB. Favre threw 6 INT's against St-Louis and stayed in, as I recall.

Quite different circumstances. Favre was playing from behind in a playoff game. (3 of Favre's picks were off deflections, too) If they pull Favre, they're admitting defeat. The Chargers were ahead, and would have won the game if they'd removed Rivers at the half.

Guiness
10-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Quite different circumstances. Favre was playing from behind in a playoff game. (3 of Favre's picks were off deflections, too) If they pull Favre, they're admitting defeat. The Chargers were ahead, and would have won the game if they'd removed Rivers at the half.

Ya, you're quite right and I knew that posting it. I was just reaching for a parallel.

If they had a Graham Harrell back there handing off the ball, they would've won. I guess the question is, at what point to you realize that Rivers came unglued? Hingsight is 20-20, of course.

mraynrand
10-18-2012, 06:23 PM
PSSST.....It was a punt.

My mistake - I thought Crosby was kicking a 97 yard FG...

pbmax
10-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Philly is going to miss Andy Reid when he goes to Cleveland. Sure, he is done, but the rebuilding project will make them remember Ray Rhodes fondly.

denverYooper
11-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Welp. The way this Monday game is going, Reid might get fired by halftime.

Lurker64
11-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Welp. The way this Monday game is going, Reid might get fired by halftime.

Andy Reid is gone by the end of the year. Real question is whether he gets fired before the end of the season or at the end of the season.

pittstang5
11-06-2012, 05:40 AM
I'll bring up a coach that I can't believe still has a job - Marvin Lewis. Just surprised he's still employed.

Fritz
11-06-2012, 06:14 AM
They don't call 'em the Bungals for nothing!

sheepshead
11-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Jim Schwartz?

His seat might be getting slightly elevated in temperature.

Not as bad as these guys.

If the Lions were smart(they rarely are) they would admit their mistake with Schwartz. Holmy would actually be a good fit there discipline wise. Not sure he has it in him however. Holmy has been fired from every front office he's had.

denverYooper
12-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Not a head coach, but Cam Cameron was Canned this morning.

hoosier
12-10-2012, 11:05 AM
I would think that the entire coaching staff in Arizona is on its way out.

pbmax
12-10-2012, 11:55 AM

Russ Grimm! No way! He's the best coach every. Like Singletary but an actual position coach instead of figurehead.

As for Cameron, he deserves this (perhaps not the mid-year part) for simply ignoring Ray Rice.

woodbuck27
12-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Russ Grimm! No way! He's the best coach every. Like Singletary but an actual position coach instead of figurehead.

As for Cameron, he deserves this (perhaps not the mid-year part) for simply ignoring Ray Rice.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/baltimore-ravens-fire-offensive-coordinator-cam-cameron-replace-165009818--nfl.html

Baltimore Ravens fire offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, replace him with quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell

I'm not sure what motivated that move by the RAVENS. Looking at the Baltimore offense in that fourth quarter comeback and 31-28 OT win by the Skins over the Ravens, yesterday.

Baltimore RAVENS Team Leaders ......

PLAYER .....Cmp.... Att.... Yds.... TDs

J. Flacco......16.......21.... 182..... 3

Rushing..... Car.... Yds.... Avg.... TDs

R. Rice...... 20..... 121.... 6.0........1

B. Pierce..... 8...... 53..... 6.6....... 0

Receiving ...Rec.... Yds ....Avg.... TDs

A. Boldin..... 3....... 78..... 26...... 2

D. Pitta....... 5....... 46.... 9.2...... 1

That offense by the RAVENS in that game looks OK.

The Skins just wanted that game very much. Won it in OT in front of their fans inspite of losing RGIII to an injury; as backup QB Kirk Cousins was perfect off the bench. Passing for a huge TD and 2 point conversion to knot the score at 28 points apiece with 29 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

I realize that RAVENS fans were really pissed that RB Ray rice wasn't used in the previous weeks loss to the Steelers with Charlie Batch at QB and that they got their last win in San Diego because of a great Ray Rice play; but I'm a little surprized at this move all the same. I'm guessing something had to be done with two loss's at this point in the season and the way things ended last season in New England.

hoosier
12-10-2012, 12:55 PM

You're right, they should fire Wisenhunt and promote Grimm to head coach. That way they can say that the team had already taken on the character of its coach--down to his very name--even before he was coach.

Lurker64
12-10-2012, 01:22 PM

Change starts with firing the guy who thought trading a 2 and DRC for Kolb was a good idea.

Hell, fire *everybody* who thought that was a good idea.

hoosier
12-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Wasn't that a trade made out of desperation, of needing to have a viable QB in place so that Fitzgerald would re-sign? I see the point--they gave up a good cornerback and a high draft pick for a QB who has been just a little better than mediocre. But as disappointing as Kolb has been, the rest of the offense (minus Fitzgerald) has been even worse. If we hypothetically put DRC and pick number 51 (who in real life turned out to be Jerel Worthy) pack on the Cardinals and have Skelton as full time starter, the Cardinals probably don't even get their 4-0 start before they tank.

Guiness
12-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Wasn't that a trade made out of desperation, of needing to have a viable QB in place so that Fitzgerald would re-sign? I see the point--they gave up a good cornerback and a high draft pick for a QB who has been just a little better than mediocre. But as disappointing as Kolb has been, the rest of the offense (minus Fitzgerald) has been even worse. If we hypothetically put DRC and pick number 51 (who in real life turned out to be Jerel Worthy) pack on the Cardinals and have Skelton as full time starter, the Cardinals probably don't even get their 4-0 start before they tank.

Wow, the Cardinals were 4-0.

Good from far, far from good.

woodbuck27
12-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Fr. Previous post above:

I realize that RAVENS fans were really pissed that RB Ray rice ** wasn't used ** in the previous weeks loss to the Steelers .....

** I wanted to clarify that:

That was a 23-20 loss where the Steelers had 10 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to give the Charlie Batch Steelers a huge win and hope. In that game Ray Rice rushed for 78 yards on 'only' 12 carries and 1 TD.

Ravens QB Joe Flacco was 16-34 or 47% CP for 188 yards, 1 TD, 1 PICK.

Going back to that game at Washington. I have difficulty finding for Baltimore managements decision to dismiss their OC. I've been trying to see video of the HC's explanation for that decision.

The challenge the Ravens defense had in that game was immense given the talent of just two outstanding Skins players: RG3 and RB Alfred Morris. The Ravens were missing key pieces of their defense and that complicated with the loss of T. Suggs.

The way Mike Shanahan game plans, the Ravens were going to lose the battle of the clock.

The ST's were in a mess trying to cover that excellent 56 yard punt and 64 yard return by the Skins CB Richard Crawfort who took the Ravens long punt all the way from the Skins 12 yard line to the Ravens 24 yard line to set up the game wining FG.

4-3-BAL 32 (13:42) 4-S.Koch punts 56 yards to WAS 12, Center-46-M.Cox. 39-R.Crawford to BAL 24for 64 yards (4-S.Koch; 91-C.Upshaw).

CB Richard Crawford is a Rookie and seventh Rd. draft pick (213 overall) out of LSU.

Seriously in defense of the ST's. He's lightening fast on this punt return. Have a look:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012120900/2012/REG14/ravens@redskins#menu=highlights%7CcontentId%3A0ap2 000000109113&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

Right now I'm geting set to watch what might be the game of the year. The Texans @ Pats. This should be a great game. :grin:

Lurker64
12-10-2012, 09:48 PM

You should never operate from a point of desperation. If they had held onto that pick, they would have been able to have drafted Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, or Kirk Cousins... all of which would be a marked improvement over Skelton, Kolb, or Lindley.

Teams being desperate for a starting quarterback for the 2011 season led to all sorts of bad decisions due to the lockout (like the drafting of Christian Ponder.)

Fritz
12-11-2012, 05:49 AM
If the Lions were smart(they rarely are) they would admit their mistake with Schwartz. Holmy would actually be a good fit there discipline wise. Not sure he has it in him however. Holmy has been fired from every front office he's had.

Having been fired from every front office job he's had, Mike Holmgren has to be considered the front runner for the Lions' GM spot.

This position will open up in about five years. The Ford family gives their GM's a decade, at least, to drive the bus over a cliff. Martin Mayhew's just getting started. They've got a tight cap, the league's oldest offensive line, a talentless secondary, an undisciplined star defensive tackle, and a propensity to forget there are real players to be found in the draft after the third round.

mraynrand
12-11-2012, 08:07 AM
This position will open up in about five years. The Ford family gives their GM's a decade, at least, to drive the bus over a cliff.

Maybe it's a time to give Toonces a try:

http://marcuspcannon.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/toonces.jpg

Fritz
12-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Maybe it's a time to give Toonces a try:

http://marcuspcannon.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/toonces.jpg

The similarities are eerie:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYldKnEj0sD00okH6vUzfLbFYYSHfe5 Y4ozgVyndxFw0ZRCoM1

woodbuck27
12-11-2012, 01:53 PM
The similarities are eerie:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYldKnEj0sD00okH6vUzfLbFYYSHfe5 Y4ozgVyndxFw0ZRCoM1

Naw ! The cat looks brighter.

Joemailman
12-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Bump.

denverYooper
12-18-2012, 12:40 PM
I could use a bump.

Joemailman
12-18-2012, 12:44 PM
I wonder what happens in Chicago. Losing 6 in a row to the Packers can't be helping him. However, as long as Cutler is the QB, I think they'll play second fiddle to the Packers no matter who the coach is.

Guiness
12-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Having been fired from every front office job he's had, Mike Holmgren has to be considered the front runner for the Lions' GM spot.

This position will open up in about five years. The Ford family gives their GM's a decade, at least, to drive the bus over a cliff. Martin Mayhew's just getting started. They've got a tight cap, the league's oldest offensive line, a talentless secondary, an undisciplined star defensive tackle, and a propensity to forget there are real players to be found in the draft after the third round.

Suh or Fairley?

I think that should be tackles!

Joemailman
12-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Gone:

Andy Reid
Norv Turner

Hot Seat:

Rex Ryan
Romeo Crennel

Warm Seat:

Ken Whisenhunt
Chan Gailey
Pat Shurmur
Lovie Smith
Jim Schwartz

Cheesehead Craig
12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
I think Schwartz has one more year and if they don't make the playoffs, he'll be gone.

woodbuck27
12-18-2012, 01:10 PM
RE: Jets HC Rex Ryan and does he deserve another season as their HC?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1449426-why-rex-ryan-deserves-another-year-as-new-york-jets-head-coach

" Unlike division rival New England or stellar franchises like Pittsburgh and Baltimore, New York simply doesn't have the stability, organization or vision from the front office to put its head coach in a position to win.

The fact that the Jets handed Sanchez—who's now thrown the same number of career touchdown passes (68) as interceptions—a $40.5 million extension in the offseason is a travesty, but that's not on Ryan.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum is at the root of the Jets' personnel problems—problems that have escalated over the past few years. "

woodbuck27
12-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Gone:

Andy Reid
Norv Turner

Hot Seat:

Rex Ryan
Romeo Crennel

Warm Seat:

Ken Whisenhunt
Chan Gailey
Pat Shurmur
Lovie Smith
Jim Schwartz

Lovie Smith, Jim Schwartz could be venturing into vulnerable territory

Published 23 hours and 31 minutes ago

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-12-17/nfl-hot-seat-coaches-jim-schwartz-lovie-smith-pat-shurmur-chan-gailey

pbmax
12-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Rex and Schwartz survive, but Lovie and Shurmur are in trouble. Shurmur's getting the boot based on front office changes alone.

Joemailman
12-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Lovie is a tough call. Cutler's contract is over after 2013, and I have to believe the Bears know he's not the guy who's going to lead them to a Super Bowl. If that's the case, do they bring in a new guy this year, or let both Lovie and Cutler play out their contracts in 2013? They might want to bring in a new guy and trade for or draft Cutler's replacement in the same year.

Patler
12-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Quite a few Chicago writers have written "Cutler isn't the guy" comments this week. Surprising how many are on the Arron Rodgers band wagon, one going so far as to say that Rodgers doesn't have a much better line to work behind than Cutler does, but still makes it work. They contrasted Cutler getting nothing out of the Packer's gifts to him, while AR got a TD at the end of the first half with his gift from the Bears.

As one said, how much are you willing to pay for more years of what Cutler has shown so far? What will Cutler expect in his next contract? Are the two numbers even remotely close?

Freak Out
12-18-2012, 04:33 PM
How does Chan Gailey still have a HC job after this season? Whisenhunt....gone.

Pugger
12-18-2012, 06:22 PM
I think Schwartz has one more year and if they don't make the playoffs, he'll be gone.

That would be unfortunate. It would be great if both Lovie and Schwartz stick around for a few more years. ;-)

Guiness
12-18-2012, 06:29 PM
That would be unfortunate. It would be great if both Lovie and Schwartz stick around for a few more years. ;-)

I dunno about Lovie. The Pack has had the Bears number these past few years, but I remember when he became their coach and said as long as he beat Green Bay twice a year, he was happy and nothing else mattered. Rather we didn't face a coach who was quite so single minded!

Fritz
12-19-2012, 06:28 AM

It will be interesting to see if the Lions do business as they have in the past. If so, Mayhew has another four years if the Lions get to even 8 wins next year. Same for The Schvantz.

Personally, I think a lot of these coaches work for lousy GM's.

Cheesehead Craig
12-19-2012, 09:01 AM
I dunno about Lovie. The Pack has had the Bears number these past few years, but I remember when he became their coach and said as long as he beat Green Bay twice a year, he was happy and nothing else mattered. Rather we didn't face a coach who was quite so single minded!

Lovie knew how to beat Favre (Lovie was 6-2), which was just pressure him enough to have him do his couple of bone-headed throws and take advantage of them. He can't beat the Packers now with that philosophy as Rodgers doesn't play that game (Rodgers 7-1 vs Lovie). I got no problem with Lovie in Chicago. His singlemindedness only applied to Favre.

woodbuck27
12-19-2012, 10:19 AM
QUOTE=Patler;702911]Quite a few Chicago writers have written "Cutler isn't the guy" comments this week. Surprising how many are on the Arron Rodgers band wagon, one going so far as to say that Rodgers doesn't have a much better line to work behind than Cutler does, but still makes it work. They contrasted Cutler getting nothing out of the Packer's gifts to him, while AR got a TD at the end of the first half with his gift from the Bears.

As one said, how much are you willing to pay for more years of what Cutler has shown so far? What will Cutler expect in his next contract? Are the two numbers even remotely close?[/QUOTE]

Do the BEARS really need this fella?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2012-12/73690412.jpg

or this fella?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2012-11/73438759.jpg

or this fella?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2012-09/72328272.jpg

or this fella?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2011-10/65750464.jpg

swede
12-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Cutler seems like the brother-in-law that moves in for a few months between jobs, drinks your beer and re-sets the radio buttons when he borrows your truck.