PDA

View Full Version : The Dropsies

smuggler
10-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Green Bay has dropped more passes than every team except the Browns. THE BROWNS!

But, did you know that Finley's drops are being blown out of proportion? It's true, among starters he has the highest drop rate, but it's close to the pack, so to speak.

DONALD DRIVER: 2 drops and 3 receptions (40% drop rate)
J.FINLEY: 4 drops and 24 receptions (14.3% drop rate)
JORDY NELSON: 5 drops and 32 receptions (13.5% drop rate)
RANDALL COBB: 4 drops and 29 receptions (12.1% drop rate)
GREG JENNINGS: 0 drops and 12 receptions (0.0% drop rate)
JAMES JONES: 0 drops and 23 receptions (0.0% drop rate)

These drop numbers are receiver-friendly, and I can think of at least one Jones drop I personally witnessed, but if it's generous to him, it should be generous to to the others.

Source: Stats Inc.

mraynrand
10-17-2012, 11:42 AM
All I know is that Finley should be drawn and quartered for his four drops. Get him out of town!!

denverYooper
10-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Green Bay has dropped more passes than every team except the Browns. THE BROWNS!

But, did you know that Finley's drops are being blown out of proportion? It's true, among starters he has the highest drop rate, but it's close to the pack, so to speak.

DONALD DRIVER: 2 drops and 3 receptions (40% drop rate)
J.FINLEY: 4 drops and 24 receptions (14.3% drop rate)
JORDY NELSON: 5 drops and 32 receptions (13.5% drop rate)
RANDALL COBB: 4 drops and 29 receptions (12.1% drop rate)
GREG JENNINGS: 0 drops and 12 receptions (0.0% drop rate)
JAMES JONES: 0 drops and 23 receptions (0.0% drop rate)

These drop numbers are receiver-friendly, and I can think of at least one Jones drop I personally witnessed, but if it's generous to him, it should be generous to to the others.

Source: Stats Inc.

How does their overall drop rate compare to league averages? They throw the ball a lot, so to an extent, they'll probably drop more passes just by count.

denverYooper
10-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Did you get those directly off of the STATS website somewhere? All I can find is pages trying to sell me various services.

mmmdk
10-17-2012, 12:58 PM
I voted Cobb.

smuggler
10-17-2012, 03:26 PM
I like the sig, mmmdk.

Yoop, the site is hosted.stats.com

swede
10-17-2012, 03:55 PM
I voted Jones because he has a problem with only one particular kind of pass; even when open he has trouble with the over-the-shoulder catch.

All of our receivers are capable of big catches and all are capable of unforced drops. With Jordy it is either Good Jordy or Bad Jordy. Jones has made a few amazing grabs lately so that broke the tie between those two. The only player in serious mojo trouble is Finley. Jennings is ticking me off lately, and he's dropped passes this year also. Driver's reputation for sure-handedness isn't entirely deserved. Cobb has dropped easy passes and I hold my breath every time he fields a punt or a kickoff.

Jones
Jordy
Jennings
Cobb
Driver
Finley

The only easy call is Finley at the bottom.

3irty1
10-17-2012, 04:08 PM
I'd rank them as so:
1. Jones
Has the most naturally soft hands on the team, has a bit of a rep for fumbles and drops but that's just because of very few incidents that took place in big moments. He's over it and is back to glue-handed James Jones.
2. Cobb
He's droppier than I thought he'd be but still still very reliable. Very natural pass catcher but isn't a huge target.
3. Jennings
Probably last on the team in terms of god-given naturally soft hands but has proven to make up for it with exceptional concentration, putting himself in good position, and tracking the ball over his shoulder.
4. Driver
At one point in time Donald would be probably 1st or 2nd on this list. Drops used to be rare with him and announcers still love to say that when it happens but its been noticeable the last year or so.
5. Nelson
Nelson is pretty frustrating because you know he can do better. He doesn't have the strong natural hands of some of our other receivers but can at least be average. Drops are getting to be routine with him now, he is prone to lapses in concentration. Most of his drops seem like short routes.
6. Finley
Infuriating in every way. Finley is the only guy on the team with the baby soft hands to rival those of Jones but is too much of a headcase to make any use of his talent. He has Steve Blass syndrome for receivers.

pbmax
10-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Drops versus receptions is OK, but does that cover every throw to them? Or do they call some off-target?

Those drop rates seem high, which, given the beginning of the season, perhaps they should be. But still quite high.

Freak Out
10-17-2012, 05:37 PM
How many kicks has Cobb muffed this year?

denverYooper
10-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Drops versus receptions is OK, but does that cover every throw to them? Or do they call some off-target?

Those drop rates seem high, which, given the beginning of the season, perhaps they should be. But still quite high.

When drop rates are usually quoted for a player, are they usually drops/reception or drops/target?

Actually, I usually only see drop counts listed, as in "Finley has had XX drops since last year, most of blah blah blah" I don't recall often seeing a drop rate listed, which would indeed be more informative.

denverYooper
10-17-2012, 05:59 PM

Looking at the hosted.stats.com (TY Smuggler!), it looks as though drops are incomplete passes that are clearly the receiver's fault. If you look at, e.g., Jordy's page (http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=8813&team=09), you see he has 32 receptions in 48 targets and 5 drops.

Jimx29
10-17-2012, 07:42 PM
finnelys drops ALWAYS seem to be when there's more on the line at the time

denverYooper
10-17-2012, 08:14 PM
finnelys drops ALWAYS seem to be when there's more on the line at the time

Agree, Clearly some sort of situational multiplier is needed to put his performance in it's proper context.

George Cumby
10-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Didn't know where else to post this but I like #25 signalling Touchdown! for the Pack. I thought that was quite courteous of him.

http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=U0&Date=20121015&Category=PKR0201&ArtNo=310150269&Ref=PH&Item=1&Maxw=640&Maxh=410&q=60

Brandon494
10-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Who TF voted for Nelson? Its clearly Jennings WHEN hes healthy.

QBME
10-18-2012, 06:33 AM
I'd rank them as so:

6. Finley
Infuriating in every way. Finley is the only guy on the team with the baby soft hands to rival those of Jones but is too much of a headcase to make any use of his talent. He has Steve Blass syndrome for receivers.

Actually a reasonable possibility : http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/6461

red
10-18-2012, 07:49 AM
how the hell do you come up with just 4 drops for finley?

he's had multiple games with multiple drops. hell he had 3 in that one game

he's closer to 10 not 4

smuggler
10-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Receivers don't get charged a drop when a defender jars the ball out with a big hit or a punch-out. Nor do they get a drop on their record if the ball is tipped before it comes into their hands.

sharpe1027
10-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Finley has had multiple times where the catch is not completed only because he bobbled the initial catch. Sure a defender eventually hit him, but if he doesn't bobble the initial catch it is a completion. Is that a drop? In my book, yes.

Fritz
10-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Didn't know where else to post this but I like #25 signalling Touchdown! for the Pack. I thought that was quite courteous of him.

http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=U0&Date=20121015&Category=PKR0201&ArtNo=310150269&Ref=PH&Item=1&Maxw=640&Maxh=410&q=60

No, no, he's gesturing to heaven and saying "Jesus help me!"

denverYooper
10-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Finley has had multiple times where the catch is not completed only because he bobbled the initial catch. Sure a defender eventually hit him, but if he doesn't bobble the initial catch it is a completion. Is that a drop? In my book, yes.

I've seen that a few times too. It often looks to me like he catches it and double clutches at a ball that would have been secure without the re-grasp. I really think he's freaking out and double clutching at balls he's not even bobbling.

George Cumby
10-18-2012, 04:54 PM
No, no, he's gesturing to heaven and saying "Jesus help me!"

:lol:

Travbrew
10-18-2012, 05:41 PM
I'd rank them as so:
1. Jones
Has the most naturally soft hands on the team, has a bit of a rep for fumbles and drops but that's just because of very few incidents that took place in big moments. He's over it and is back to glue-handed James Jones.
2. Cobb
He's droppier than I thought he'd be but still still very reliable. Very natural pass catcher but isn't a huge target.
3. Jennings
Probably last on the team in terms of god-given naturally soft hands but has proven to make up for it with exceptional concentration, putting himself in good position, and tracking the ball over his shoulder.
4. Driver
At one point in time Donald would be probably 1st or 2nd on this list. Drops used to be rare with him and announcers still love to say that when it happens but its been noticeable the last year or so.
5. Nelson
Nelson is pretty frustrating because you know he can do better. He doesn't have the strong natural hands of some of our other receivers but can at least be average. Drops are getting to be routine with him now, he is prone to lapses in concentration. Most of his drops seem like short routes.
6. Finley

I'm not too sure what you mean by that. When I met him and shook his hand, it was like grabbing a hold of a normal person's leg; freakin' meat-hooks I tell ya. I could feel the strength in them, although he didn't give me a full on kung-fu grip.
And I'm not exactly small at 6' - 193, FWIW.

Maybe the other receivers hands are just that much stronger?