PDA

View Full Version : Packers lose Lawrence Guy to the Colts

Patler
10-18-2012, 06:26 AM
The Colts signed Guy from the Packers practice squad. Too bad, I just read a couple comments from coaches about him starting to stand out in practices. But, realistically, he had a lot of people to leapfrog to get on the roster, However, it does impact their overall depth if they should get a rash of injuries at the position.

Fritz
10-18-2012, 06:31 AM
The Colts signed Guy from the Packers practice squad. Too bad, I just read a couple comments from coaches about him starting to stand out in practices. But, realistically, he had a lot of people to leapfrog to get on the roster, However, it does impact their overall depth if they should get a rash of injuries at the position.

I just read that, Patler, and I'm a little bummed. He apparently had all the physical tools to be a standout 3-4 end, but had learning issues that severely hampered him. If indeed he was beginning to stand out, that means perhaps that he was starting to catch on, and can become a player. Damn.

On the other hand, I'm not sure who he'd replace on the Packer roster. CJ Wilson seems to be finally developing into a steady all-around player - he even has a couple of sacks this year. Neal, I think, is showing his potential to push into the QB. At times the guy looks ferocious. So I don't know how they'd have been able to keep Guy, but I'm sorry they couldn't.

Patler
10-18-2012, 07:08 AM
I just read that, Patler, and I'm a little bummed. He apparently had all the physical tools to be a standout 3-4 end, but had learning issues that severely hampered him. If indeed he was beginning to stand out, that means perhaps that he was starting to catch on, and can become a player. Damn.

On the other hand, I'm not sure who he'd replace on the Packer roster. CJ Wilson seems to be finally developing into a steady all-around player - he even has a couple of sacks this year. Neal, I think, is showing his potential to push into the QB. At times the guy looks ferocious. So I don't know how they'd have been able to keep Guy, but I'm sorry they couldn't.

I thought Guy was kind of an interesting story, too. I've been waiting to see if he would be able to get it all together. I wonder how much it will set him back moving to another system with different coaches who might teach differently, etc.

While they say you can never have too many good big guys, in reality you can because the roster only has 6-7 slots for DL. I'm not saying they will all turn out to be good, or that Guy couldn't beat out one of them, but there is a bit of a glut of younger players with Neal, Wilson, Worthy and Daniels.

Freak Out
10-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Bastards beat the Pack then steal a player from them. Lame sauce indeed.

Brandon494
10-18-2012, 11:39 AM
I never got the hype with this kid, not a big lost at all.

Fritz
10-18-2012, 11:45 AM
I thought Guy was kind of an interesting story, too. I've been waiting to see if he would be able to get it all together. I wonder how much it will set him back moving to another system with different coaches who might teach differently, etc.

While they say you can never have too many good big guys, in reality you can because the roster only has 6-7 slots for DL. I'm not saying they will all turn out to be good, or that Guy couldn't beat out one of them, but there is a bit of a glut of younger players with Neal, Wilson, Worthy and Daniels.

This is why building a roster is probably way more difficult than we think. There might have been some discussion of keeping Guy and shorting the roster at another position, but this brings on two problems: first, the obvious one of shorting yourself somewhere else, and second, knowing that you might be shorting special teams since the defensive ends don't usually have the preferred skill set for special teams the way a linebacker or tight end does.

I do wonder if they considered paying him some boo koo (sp?) bucks to stay on the PS.

smuggler
10-18-2012, 12:08 PM
beaucoup

Bossman641
10-18-2012, 01:31 PM
This is why building a roster is probably way more difficult than we think. There might have been some discussion of keeping Guy and shorting the roster at another position, but this brings on two problems: first, the obvious one of shorting yourself somewhere else, and second, knowing that you might be shorting special teams since the defensive ends don't usually have the preferred skill set for special teams the way a linebacker or tight end does.

I do wonder if they considered paying him some boo koo (sp?) bucks to stay on the PS.

Nonsense!! My Madden franchise wins the SB annually.

Joemailman
10-18-2012, 05:06 PM
No big deal He's just a Guy.

swede
10-18-2012, 05:18 PM
:rs:

rbaloha1
10-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Its tough to discern if Guy was better than active roster guys. My guess is no.

Pugger
10-19-2012, 12:17 PM
No big deal He's just a Guy.

:lol:

Patler
10-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Its tough to discern if Guy was better than active roster guys. My guess is no.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't, at least not yet. But he seemed to be a player that might develop. It took Cullen Jenkins a couple years to become a regularly contributing member, too. I don't know if Guy can follow a similar ascension, but the coaches mentioned him the last couple weeks as a player who was stepping up in practice.

Besides, the players on PS are potentially immediate replacements if someone goes on IR. They are better prepared than someone off the street. In a backup role, it's nice to have players like that around.

Guiness
10-19-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm pretty sure he wasn't, at least not yet. But he seemed to be a player that might develop. It took Cullen Jenkins a couple years to become a regularly contributing member, too. I don't know if Guy can follow a similar ascension, but the coaches mentioned him the last couple weeks as a player who was stepping up in practice.

Besides, the players on PS are potentially immediate replacements if someone goes on IR. They are better prepared than someone off the street. In a backup role, it's nice to have players like that around.

Most things I read (some from his college coaches) said he came out a year early. Depending on when he was able to start practicing and working out, he might not even have been at the level of a late round rookie from this year, so certainly a lot of room for growth.

George Cumby
10-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Had hopes for him. Nice underdog story. Oh, well.