PDA

View Full Version : Report from Texas

Fritz
10-18-2012, 12:24 PM
I attended the game at Reliant Stadium last Sunday night, and I'd like to report a couple observations:

1. Lots of Packer fans. Lots. By the time we got down to the last five or six minutes, most of the Texans fans had left, and it was Packerville ringing the lower seats, chanting "Go, Pack, go!"

2. Texan fans are passionate and they tailgate really well.

3. Texan fans were friendly. Once, in a beer line, some ass hat deliberately banged against my shoulder, causing my beer to spill (and then he quickly walked away, not looking back). But outside of that, the fans were very cool.

4. It's hard to see much from the two yard line of the lower bowl, but it's still cool to be at a game.

5. Reliant Stadium is nice. A little sterile, but functional and pretty nice. Not as industrial and cold as Ford Field, but Lambeau it ain't.

smuggler
10-18-2012, 12:40 PM
What brought you that far south, Fritz? Other than the game itself, I mean!

hoosier
10-18-2012, 12:48 PM
And why were you in a beer line with a beer in your hand? Like I tell my five year old, finish what you have first! Or in this case, don't they have roving beer vendors in Texas?

red
10-18-2012, 05:03 PM
And why were you in a beer line with a beer in your hand? Like I tell my five year old, finish what you have first! Or in this case, don't they have roving beer vendors in Texas?

that makes no sense at all. if you finish off your beer before going back for another, then you're beerless for 5 or 10 minutes

the smart thing to do is to find a beer guy on the way to the beer stand that way you aren't standing around sobering up during crucial moments at the game

red
10-18-2012, 05:04 PM
What brought you that far south, Fritz? Other than the game itself, I mean!

why wouldn't a guy from the detroit area want to be somewhere (anywhere) else?

Fritz
10-18-2012, 05:19 PM
why wouldn't a guy from the detroit area want to be somewhere (anywhere) else?

Red is right on both counts. Why go beerless, and why be in Detroit if you can be somewhere else?

However, there is another reason I was there. When I was fourteen and my brother thirteen, we made this bet...see, he wanted to become a professional football player, and as dumb as I was I knew that was a near impossibility. So I bet him - and wrote it all up in my best cursive and had our mom witness it - that he would not, by age forty (I was generous in my terms), become an NFL player.

The loser had to pay the winner a hundred bucks. Now, here's the kicker: the other half of the bet was that the winner then had to take the loser to an NFL game, with seats on the fifty yard line.

We made that bet in November of 1974, and I had not yet learned what inflation was. Thus, my brother could have paid me the hundred bucks back when he turned forty, and insisted I buy tickets to an NFL game on the fifty yard line. But he did not. In fact, he called me when the 2012 NFL schedule came out, and told me that he had season tickets for the Texans through his company, and that the Packers were coming to Texas in 2012, and that he wanted to take me to the game to pay off the bet.

So that's why I was in Texas.

Man, was my brother pissed off at how badly the Texans played! He drank even more than I did!

red
10-18-2012, 05:21 PM
awesome story

denverYooper
10-18-2012, 06:08 PM
awesome story

Yep.

pittstang5
10-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Amateurs...you never have just one beer, you always have two - Double fist.

gbgary
10-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Red is right on both counts. Why go beerless, and why be in Detroit if you can be somewhere else?

However, there is another reason I was there. When I was fourteen and my brother thirteen, we made this bet...see, he wanted to become a professional football player, and as dumb as I was I knew that was a near impossibility. So I bet him - and wrote it all up in my best cursive and had our mom witness it - that he would not, by age forty (I was generous in my terms), become an NFL player.

The loser had to pay the winner a hundred bucks. Now, here's the kicker: the other half of the bet was that the winner then had to take the loser to an NFL game, with seats on the fifty yard line.

We made that bet in November of 1974, and I had not yet learned what inflation was. Thus, my brother could have paid me the hundred bucks back when he turned forty, and insisted I buy tickets to an NFL game on the fifty yard line. But he did not. In fact, he called me when the 2012 NFL schedule came out, and told me that he had season tickets for the Texans through his company, and that the Packers were coming to Texas in 2012, and that he wanted to take me to the game to pay off the bet.

So that's why I was in Texas.

Man, was my brother pissed off at how badly the Texans played! He drank even more than I did!

cool. I plan on taking my bro to a Lambeau game next season. it will be his first pilgrimage to the Packer holyland.

mmmdk
10-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Awesome, just awesome story! :alc: :worship: :smile:

Pugger
10-19-2012, 12:18 PM
No pictures? :-(

denverYooper
10-19-2012, 01:55 PM
No pictures? :-(

He had to use each hand for a beer and had no hands left for the camera.