PDA

View Full Version : Mike and Mike - ESPN

chewy-bacca
08-21-2006, 09:09 AM
there is a podcast form the 17th, its just the littler Mike, but he spends 10 mins. on Favre...this was just after the supposed retirement press. conf.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=gnb

its part way down the page....titled "overrated?"

lemme know what you think.

RIPackerFan
08-21-2006, 10:16 AM
I don't necessarily care that people think that Favre is not one of the greatest - as long as they back it up with something.

He just said he didn't think he was the greatest - but then mentioned in the same phrase - he's got the numbers - and is one of the best players to watch.

What exactly is his criteria then?

If he would have mentioned something, maybe it would have some merit - but to me is sounded like a Chicago fan who is still miffed at the Packers.

chewy-bacca
08-21-2006, 10:21 AM
right, I found it funny that he went out of his way to discount that. I also think if he wanted to prove something he would have brought up the int numbers. Thats about the only neg. stat he owns. All in all I think he was wishing he was covering a retirement story. :lol:

GoPack06
08-21-2006, 11:06 AM
the new hip thing is to knock Favre. These are the same people who say Tom Brady is the greatest QB in NFL history.

b bulldog
08-21-2006, 03:34 PM
He has very good numbers on the pro Brett side and also on the antiBrett side. He should be a first ballot HOF'er but to me he ranks 7-12 range, alltime. That is very good imo but his decision making skills have hurt him imo. Trying to be totally straight here, no BS.

BlueBrewer
08-21-2006, 03:37 PM
So if at the end of the year Favre is the all time leader in TD passes and All time leader in completions he is still only 7-12 on you list? That is just dumb.

b bulldog
08-21-2006, 03:49 PM
If he has the record for most pics and with his most recent playoff debacles, I will stand firm on my 7-12 range. That would still put him in elite company. No chance does a QB that has the most pics in a career go top 5!

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2006, 03:54 PM
No chance does a QB that has the most pics in a career go top 5!

Whatever! What if he finished with all-time mark in completions, attempts, and TD also? Have you looked at some of the QBs in the top 10 in interceptions? They include Marino, Elway, Unitas, and Tarkenton. No way, huh? What if he won another Super Bowl ring?

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Baloney. Not even fried !!

Get used to ALL that this season. :mrgreen:

GO PACK GO !! GO BRETT FAVRE !!!

Fosco33
08-21-2006, 04:03 PM

Whatever! What if he finished with all-time mark in completions, attempts, and TD also? Have you looked at some of the QBs in the top 10 in interceptions? They include Marino, Elway, Unitas, and Tarkenton. No way, huh? What if he won another Super Bowl ring?

For real - and we haven't even discussed 'the streak'.

Where is Brett (in terms of top 10) w/ INTs per Attempt?

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2006, 04:15 PM

He's much better than Unitas and Tarkenton, and most of the other guys. His interceptions/attempt aren't nearly as bad as bulldog makes them out to be--compared to the great QBs of all-time. Slightly higher than Elway. Of course, he completion % and TD rate are much higher than Elway. Much lower than the likes of Testaverde, Blanda, Moon, and some of the other not so great QBs in the top 10 in interceptions.

b bulldog
08-21-2006, 04:17 PM
iF HE WOULD WIN ANOTHER CHAMPIONSHIP HE WOULD BE TOP 5, IF NOT, TOP 10 WITH ALL THE OTHER CATAGORIES IN his favor. Too many playoff debacles and has too many pics.

4and12to12and4
08-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Well, I did'nt start watching football until the mid 80's so, the QB's from the 60's and 70's are before my time, however, from a numbers standpoint, he's in the top 2. From a tough football player standpoint, there's no comparison, he's #1. I think that there is a legitimate argument that could be made that he is the best ever to step on the field. If he wins another Superbowl, or even goes to another Superbowl, end of discussion. If he plays for another two or three years, shatters Marino's numbers, starts evry game, he is #1, no questions asked. Marino's numbers are exaggerated because they never had a run game. He also had two excellent probowl receivers for many many years. Montana had more offensive talent around him than Brett has ever had, same for Manning. Brett's interceptions are there mostly because he is so accurate he knows he can throw into coverage, and alot of times his receivers let him down. Can you imagine how great Favre would be if he had Jerry Rice, TO, and receivers like that around him? For the talent on offense that Brett has had over the years, which has been average most years, he has put up unbelievable numbers. Manning has had the likes of Harrison for many years. Look at how good Brett makes Driver look. If Sterling or Freeman would have played longer and given Brett a chance to play with a very good WR for many years, his numbers would be off the charts. He has had to deal with a ton of turnover in the receivers he has had on his team, and, my God, he even made Chatman look like a very good receiver. Let's see how well Chatman does this year.

Brett Favre in my opinion, compared to the QB's I've watched over the last two decades is better than all of them. Elway being a close second. But, I rate him above Elway because of the unbelievale toughness he has, to play for over 220 games without missing one (Not including pre and post season). Football and the hall of fame is about toughness and consistency. These qualities are why I think Brett is the best ever.

4and12to12and4
08-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Well, I did'nt start watching football until the mid 80's so, the QB's from the 60's and 70's are before my time, however, from a numbers standpoint, he's in the top 2. From a tough football player standpoint, there's no comparison, he's #1. I think that there is a legitimate argument that could be made that he is the best ever to step on the field. If he wins another Superbowl, or even goes to another Superbowl, end of discussion. If he plays for another two or three years, shatters Marino's numbers, starts evry game, he is #1, no questions asked. Marino's numbers are exaggerated because they never had a run game. He also had two excellent probowl receivers for many many years. Montana had more offensive talent around him than Brett has ever had, same for Manning. Brett's interceptions are there mostly because he is so accurate he knows he can throw into coverage, and alot of times his receivers let him down. Can you imagine how great Favre would be if he had Jerry Rice, TO, and receivers like that around him? For the talent on offense that Brett has had over the years, which has been average most years, he has put up unbelievable numbers. Manning has had the likes of Harrison for many years. Look at how good Brett makes Driver look. If Sterling or Freeman would have played longer and given Brett a chance to play with a very good WR for many years, his numbers would be off the charts. He has had to deal with a ton of turnover in the receivers he has had on his team, and, my God, he even made Chatman look like a very good receiver. Let's see how well Chatman does this year.

Brett Favre in my opinion, compared to the QB's I've watched over the last two decades is better than all of them. Elway being a close second. But, I rate him above Elway because of the unbelievale toughness he has, to play for over 220 games without missing one (Not including pre and post season). Football and the hall of fame is about toughness and consistency. These qualities are why I think Brett is the best ever.

b bulldog
08-21-2006, 05:12 PM
Consistencey also in playing bad in the playoffs right?

Mazzin
08-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Bulldog, first you say that Favre is somewhere between 7-12, than you recently say that even if he dosen't win a championship he is top ten....so your warming up to our man huh?

Blue! I LOVE THAT FUCKING SHOW!!!!!

BlueBrewer
08-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Bulldog, first you say that Favre is somewhere between 7-12, than you recently say that even if he dosen't win a championship he is top ten....so your warming up to our man huh?

Blue! I LOVE THAT FUCKING SHOW!!!!!

It there anything funnier than an hour with Peter Griffin...........no

Mazzin
08-21-2006, 05:52 PM
HELL NO! suck the fimpsons!

Scott Campbell
08-21-2006, 06:32 PM
iF HE WOULD WIN ANOTHER CHAMPIONSHIP HE WOULD BE TOP 5, IF NOT, TOP 10 WITH ALL THE OTHER CATAGORIES IN his favor. Too many playoff debacles and has too many pics.

Make up your damned mind. First it's 7-12, and now it's TOP 10.

Partial
08-21-2006, 06:58 PM

More importantly would be the ratio of interceptions per attempts, as you know. It could very well just mean he played a long time! Plus, good quarterbacks are bound to have more interceptions since they're in the league and starting longer.

vince
08-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Consistencey also in playing bad in the playoffs right?
Brett Favre's career PLAYOFF numbers are as follows...

Completion Pct. - 60.5
Passing Yds/game - 245
Touchdowns - 34
Interceptions - 26
QB Rating - 84.0

He is 2nd all-time in PLAYOFF Touchdown Passes, 3rd all-time in PLAYOFF Passing Yds., and 1st all-time in PLAYOFF consecutive games with a TD Pass.

Those, my friend, are not only not bad numbers - as you think, but are GREAT numbers - especially against the highest-caliber opposition.

b bulldog
08-21-2006, 09:20 PM
What about his last 4 playoff games there??? huh???

vince
08-21-2006, 09:55 PM
What about his last 4 playoff games there??? huh???

sigh.

Completion % - 60.3
Passing Yds./game - 241
TD's - 5
Interceptions - 7
Passer Rating - 74.6

I'm sure there are one or two additional bad games you could hand-pick to try to spin his career to make him look bad...

Bulldog, you are just plain WRONG. W-R-O-N-G. Can it be any more plain than that?

b bulldog
08-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Those last four games sure are what first ballot HOF'ers are all about, your ignorance is laughable.

Packnut
08-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Those last four games sure are what first ballot HOF'ers are all about, your ignorance is laughable.

No 3 MVP's and being in the top 5 of most of the NFL records make YOU look ignorant! I have no clue what your beef with Favre is, but your QB evaluation skills SUCK............. :

b bulldog
08-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Maybe his playoff chokes, get off your knees and realize Brett isn't God!.

Packnut
08-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Maybe his playoff chokes, get off your knees and realize Brett isn't God!.

Wow, what a comeback! Instead of refuting my 3 MVP and top 5 record comments, you show your brilliance by making a crude remark, but that's what I expected out of someone as ignorant as you are about the QB position. Your nothing but a clown........

b bulldog
08-21-2006, 10:09 PM
I can take you out side right now and tell you it is dark but you will keep refuting me and talk yourself into thinking it's actually sunny.

Packnut
08-21-2006, 10:14 PM
I can take you out side right now and tell you it is dark but you will keep refuting me and talk yourself into thinking it's actually sunny.

Another witty remark! Funny how guys like you resort to that when you know you've lost the arguement. I'm done cause quite frankly your to stupid to argue with. So go and make all the Favre bashing comments you like since you seem to get off on it.

b bulldog
08-21-2006, 10:20 PM
kNOWLEDGE IS power and ignorance is bliss!

vince
08-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Now, not suprisingly, when your misguided facts are refuted, you resort to stupid personal remarks and name calling.

Bulldog, you are an idiot. And I don't use that term lightly.

Just to prove my point, here's a list of the HALL OF FAME QB's who have a career QB Rating of lower than the 4 games you hand pick to create your arguments against Brett Favre...

Joe Namath
Terry Bradshaw
George Blanda
Bob Waterfield
Bobby Layne
Sammy Baugh
Y.A. Tittle

If all you can do is tell people to "get off their knees" - GIVE IT UP. GO AWAY, and DON'T COME BACK. Your stupidity is making everyone here worse off for having to read it.

b bulldog
08-21-2006, 10:26 PM
man, you can do better than that. My point wasn't that BRETT had a bad game and he should never do that, my point was his colossal playoff failures since 97 and a great one such as himself should have done better than he did.

Bretsky
08-21-2006, 10:35 PM

For real - and we haven't even discussed 'the streak'.

This is the stuff you should be breaking down Bull; all time INT's.....don't mean as much if the QB has hundreds more passes than the others. You should be looking at the INT ratios to see how much you hold that against him.

b bulldog
08-21-2006, 10:39 PM
I agree to a point but I'm wore out and will have more for another Favre ripping post when I explode from all the Favre is great stuff cause he looks good in a preseason game. That wasn't meant to provoke anyone so just chill. It's about time you show up B. It isn't the same ripping Brett without butting heads with you!

Bretsky
08-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Yes, I've missed our spatting Bull; why didn't you wait for me before getting the troops all riled up again with your Anti Favre views ?

All this bantering while I was away; and you didn't even call me a Favre apologist again cause I was too late for the party.

There will be more times ahead.

Cheers,
B

b bulldog
08-21-2006, 10:50 PM
I'm wore out B, next time I'll make sure your around.