PDA

View Full Version : Has Driver stayed a year too long?

Patler
10-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Interesting article:

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20121020/PKR01/121020022/Green-Bay-Packers-Donald-Driver-frustrated-but-accepts-reduced-role?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Take Driver’s 16 snaps against the Texans, for example. Throw out the four runs, and Driver was on the field for 12 passes. On two of those, he was assigned to block on hitch or screen passes to his side of the formation and did so dutifully, and once the play was a quick throw to Nelson on the other side of the formation. But on the other nine plays, Driver had plenty of time in his route. By subjective analysis, Driver wasn’t open on any of those plays, all of which came with him lined up in his familiar slot position from which he made so many of his franchise-record 738 receptions.

It does point out the other attributes he brings in attitude, work ethic, role model, etc. But there is the suggestion that, as a receiver, he doesn't have it anymore.

Would they have kept him if not for the notoriety gained from winning "Dancing With The Stars"?

pbmax
10-21-2012, 09:57 AM
He probably has, and the Packers coaches probably should have seen it earlier last year. He might be more valuable than Boykin of injury were to force both to start or play meaningful snaps, but its clear that not even losing Jennings can clear room for him in the offense.

It would seem to be a luxury to have a non ST as the fifth WR.

MadtownPacker
10-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Negative!

DD is scoring a TD today!

Smidgeon
10-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Interesting article:

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20121020/PKR01/121020022/Green-Bay-Packers-Donald-Driver-frustrated-but-accepts-reduced-role?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

It does point out the other attributes he brings in attitude, work ethic, role model, etc. But there is the suggestion that, as a receiver, he doesn't have it anymore.

Would they have kept him if not for the notoriety gained from winning "Dancing With The Stars"?

From a JS chat:

Q: Dave, Delavan - Tom, why did the Packers keep the DWTS champion on their roster this year? He seems to be serving little or no purpose in the offense this year. Wouldn't it have been better to keep another young player from training camp who could be developed for the long term?
A: Tom Silverstein - Not really. There isn't a WR that isn't on the roster because Driver is. Jarrett Boykin made the team and he's the only guy who was worthy of it that was in training camp. If Tori Gurley and Diondre Borel were that good they'd be on 53-man rosters now. So, it's not keeping a better receiver from being on the team. Driver serves a role even if it's not always on the field. He's a hard worker, he's wise and he sets a good example for not only the receivers but everyone else. If injuries became a huge issue and they needed his roster spot, they would probably have to cut him loose. But right now, it's not necessary.

Patler
10-21-2012, 12:38 PM
What Silverstein doesn't address are players at other positions. It likely wasn't another WR who was released instead of Driver, it might have been someone at another position.

They might need Drivers spot if/when Quarless and/or Zombo are ready.

King Friday
10-21-2012, 02:44 PM
I disagree Patler. With the Packers offensive focus so dominant on the receiving side of the equation, they had to keep 6 WRs IMO. If they hadn't kept Driver, I think it would've been another WR on the roster.

I don't feel horrible that they kept Driver...he's a great veteran guy to have in reserve when needed. However, it may hinder the team going forward if we lose Jennings because we don't want to pay market value for him).

Packers4Glory
10-21-2012, 03:02 PM
nah. I think if he had to play more snaps due to more injuries I think he'd be productive. It's just that this yr they have decided to feature more of Cobb and they haven't slimmed down Jone's role. Driver is an insurance policy that will expire after this season.

mraynrand
10-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Time for Driver to face fact.

Lurker64
10-21-2012, 03:27 PM
The only reason for Driver to be on this roster right now is his presence and attitude in the locker room. He's a leader and a role model, but you don't really want to play him.

gbgary
10-21-2012, 03:35 PM
a year too long? no...he was kept as insurance. glad we have him.

RashanGary
10-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Yes.

Especially since I saw MM comments saying Boykin would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick if not for his poor combine. They dress him on game days. I think the Packers really like him.

Driver is done. He could play, but not here.

Cheesehead Craig
10-21-2012, 04:32 PM
This will be Driver's last year as I think he'll get plain beat out for a job next year. I think he was a good insurance policy WR.

RashanGary
10-21-2012, 04:39 PM
If the Packers think Sherrod would be in good shape for the last couple weeks of the season, and near full strength for the playoffs, I don't think it's a stretch to use a roster spot on that insurance policy rather than on Driver.

Tackle vs WR. . . . . If they believe in Sherrod, it's a tough choice.

Pugger
10-21-2012, 06:46 PM
The only reason for Driver to be on this roster right now is his presence and attitude in the locker room. He's a leader and a role model, but you don't really want to play him.

This.

George Cumby
10-21-2012, 07:41 PM
DD will prove his worth at a critical juncture in an important game this season.

But this is his swan song.

mraynrand
10-21-2012, 08:17 PM
DD will prove his worth at a critical juncture in an important game this season.

I kinda hope he doesn't - because it likely means several receivers are injured. Look, right now Jennings is out and Finley is getting reduced snaps because of his shoulder, and Driver STILL isn't getting hardly any snaps. Let's keep it that way. Love Driver - saw him score his first TD against Carolina at Lambeau. But it's time to face fact.

MJZiggy
10-21-2012, 09:33 PM
I think Driver isn't getting the snaps because Nelson is stepping up and they want to feature Cobb and see if Jones can put up the numbers this year. It will probably be Driver's last year, and I think it's good to have him here. Even if he can't always perform the way he used to, he's still got the experience and I expect that he's a good on-field coach. Look, we know Thompson. If Driver didn't have something to offer, he wouldn't be on this team.

Kiwon
10-21-2012, 10:01 PM

+1.

That 'ole dog will come up big in the clutch before it's said and done. Doesn't matter what the fans think, it matters what A-Rod and the other receivers know and trust. They work as a unit.

He's a winner and he'll close his Packer Hall of Fame career out the right way.

HarveyWallbangers
10-21-2012, 11:56 PM
I think he's done. You could see it at the end of last season. The guy just doesn't get separation anymore. Personally, I'd rather see Boykin in the game at this point.

Joemailman
10-22-2012, 06:04 AM
I think he's done. You could see it at the end of last season. The guy just doesn't get separation anymore. Personally, I'd rather see Boykin in the game at this point.

Yep. By last year, teams were covering him with a linebacker. He's done. I hope he realizes it, even if he won't publicly say so.

sharpe1027
10-22-2012, 10:56 AM
IMO, you could have written the same article at the end of last year. DD is playing at an average TE speed with a tiny WR frame. I was pretty down on him after the Giants assigned a slow LBer to cover him. I kept hearing how "great" he was doing in camp and was hopeful he just wore down at the end of last year. I think he has fallen off the proverbial WR cliff.

Love him as a player and a person, but all players reach their limit at some point. Prove me wrong DD.

George Cumby
10-22-2012, 10:57 AM
I kinda hope he doesn't - because it likely means several receivers are injured. Look, right now Jennings is out and Finley is getting reduced snaps because of his shoulder, and Driver STILL isn't getting hardly any snaps. Let's keep it that way. Love Driver - saw him score his first TD against Carolina at Lambeau. But it's time to face fact.

Stop using fact and reason to argue with my emotion and feeling.

mraynrand
10-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Stop using fact and reason to argue with my emotion and feeling.

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

sharpe1027
10-22-2012, 12:30 PM
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

The big assumption in this logic being that the other arguer is not also an idiot.

Bossman641
10-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Yes, Driver is finished. For as much as people wanted to give him credit for the playoff game vs the Giants last year, he was being covered by the likes of Chase Blackburn. If he's fine with being a mentor, then there is no harm in having him this year.

George Cumby
10-22-2012, 02:00 PM

:-D

I changed my sig during "Head-shot-palooza"

rbaloha1
10-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Yes.

Taking away snaps from Boykin.

gbgary
10-27-2012, 05:25 PM
From a JS chat:

Q: Dave, Delavan - Tom, why did the Packers keep the DWTS champion on their roster this year? He seems to be serving little or no purpose in the offense this year. Wouldn't it have been better to keep another young player from training camp who could be developed for the long term?
A: Tom Silverstein - Not really. There isn't a WR that isn't on the roster because Driver is. Jarrett Boykin made the team and he's the only guy who was worthy of it that was in training camp. If Tori Gurley and Diondre Borel were that good they'd be on 53-man rosters now. So, it's not keeping a better receiver from being on the team. Driver serves a role even if it's not always on the field. He's a hard worker, he's wise and he sets a good example for not only the receivers but everyone else. If injuries became a huge issue and they needed his roster spot, they would probably have to cut him loose. But right now, it's not necessary.

Gurley was cut from the buc's ps today.

HarveyWallbangers
10-28-2012, 12:38 AM
They kept 6 WRs, so obviously they felt Boykin deserved a spot on the team. The 6th WR (Driver) could have been used at another position, so it has little to do with Driver vs. Gurley vs. Borel. More like Driver vs. Boykin vs. spot at another position. This is a prime opportunity (if Jennings and Nelson are both out) for Driver to show that he deserved a spot on the team. I hope he does well.

packrulz
10-28-2012, 05:04 AM
I've seen Driver open, it's not his fault ARod doesn't throw to him. I still think he'll get his chance.

Patler
10-28-2012, 06:07 AM
I've seen Driver open, it's not his fault ARod doesn't throw to him. I still think he'll get his chance.

If the article I linked to start this topic is to be believed, he is not getting open very often. They reviewed all 12 plays he was in against the Texans, which included 9 pass plays during which he had time to complete his route. Per their analysis, he was not open on any of them.

But, chances are we will see a lot of Driver today. Maybe by the end of the game we will have more to go on when discussing this issue.

Pugger
10-28-2012, 08:05 AM
I guess it was a wise move keeping Driver after all because I have a feeling Jordy won't be playing today.

pbmax
10-28-2012, 09:18 AM
If the article I linked to start this topic is to be believed, he is not getting open very often. They reviewed all 12 plays he was in against the Texans, which included 9 pass plays during which he had time to complete his route. Per their analysis, he was not open on any of them.

But, chances are we will see a lot of Driver today. Maybe by the end of the game we will have more to go on when discussing this issue.

It will be interesting to see who moves where if Nelson is unable to go. Jones could stay at X and Cobb could move to Y for Jennings/Nelson. Driver would be in the slot. Expect to see Finley wide a lot. Wonder if they break out some two TE with Crabtree and DJ Williams.

green_bowl_packer
10-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Out of the ashes like a fiery Phoenix at least for this Sunday (Pack -15, c'mon) has risen "The Holy Driver"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCcvKloTiik&feature=BFa&list=FLt0XvWmWVGpis2TwDtI6W-A

Great Job CaptainKickAss, I'm a big fan!

denverYooper
10-28-2012, 05:20 PM
His TD catch was crucial this week.

packrulz
10-28-2012, 05:44 PM

No, but the Texans have a darn good defense and are considered to be Super Bowl caliber, so that was a tough game. I was at the Bears game and I saw DD open several times, he did score, and the Bears defense is considered to be pretty solid. I admit he's lost a step, but there's a reason they kept him, he can block, he doesn't complain, and is rarely hurt. He's a team player.

LEWCWA
10-28-2012, 08:28 PM
DD got him another TD, just padding the stats baby!

Pugger
10-28-2012, 10:29 PM
But how many other passes did DD get today? He, Cobb and Jones were pretty invisible for most of the afternoon. :(

RashanGary
10-29-2012, 10:30 AM
One TD catch does not mean Driver should be on the team. He can still play, similar to that last stint Freeman had on the team, but he's just not very good. We're missing our top two WR's, and he still might be the 4th best WR on the field. We proably won't know about Boykin right away. He's young, but I've heard MM say some really positive things about him recently. My hunch is he's a better player right now than Driver.