PDA

View Full Version : Studs and Duds - Week 7 Packers vs Rams

ThunderDan
10-21-2012, 08:09 PM
The Packers played a very good game today. They struggled in the first half but made great half time adjustments and took the game away in the second half. Only a late TD by STL against a lot of second stringers made the game look closer than it was.

Super Stud:

Randall Cobb - 8 rec for 89 yards and 2 TDs. He also had a 19 yard rush. He accounted for 146 total yards when his 1 kick off and 1 punt return are added in. He made a couple of key third down catches short of the markers, made the first guy miss and picked up the first down.

Studs:
ARod- He goes 30/37 for 342 and 3 TDs. The TD throw to Cobb was a thing of beauty. I would have called him a super stud this week but he held on to the ball too long in the first half on a handful of plays.

Hayward- Had his 4th INT of the season and is tied for the lead league in the NFL. This is from a player who doesn't even start. Great job by TT to trade up in the draft and grab this guy.

Walden - Had 8 solo tackles, 1 assist and 1 sack. He was around the ball all day.

J Bush- Played like a demon on special teams today. He had one silly penalty for not coming back on the field right away after getting blocked out of bounds but I forgive him. The hit he made on the onside kick was amazing. He leveled the Rams player who was waiting to catch the kick which allowed the Packers to recover the ball.

Duds:
TJ Lang- He turned it around in the second half but he had a horrible first half getting beat numerous times one-on-one in both the pass game and the run game.

Mason Crosby- Normally I wouldn't get mad or put the kicker on the Duds list for missing a 58 yard field goal. Especially after his awesome onside kick in the second quarter. But for the second time this season he completely shanked the attempt.

gbgary
10-21-2012, 08:34 PM
harsh on mason crosby. after some early jitters I thought the o-line did ok considering the wrs couldn't get open some plays and rodgers held the ball.

Joemailman
10-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Jordy Nelson belongs on the Stud list. Targeted 9 times. Had 8 catches for 122 yards and a TD.

Upnorth
10-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Short yard run gain should be on super duds list. I don't remember us getting more than -1 yard when it was short yardage. No push up the middle means Green hit and stopped in the back field.

pbmax
10-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Newhouse was a dud in the first half, but got some help and turned it around in the 2nd half. The lead did not hurt as he had better reactions off the snap.

Kiwon
10-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Gotta give Jordy his props.

Lurker64
10-21-2012, 09:50 PM
That onside kick by Crosby, on the other hand, was a thing of beauty on the part of the kicker. Hard to do it much better.

Kiwon
10-21-2012, 10:03 PM
That onside kick by Crosby, on the other hand, was a thing of beauty on the part of the kicker. Hard to do it much better.

Absolutely.

Freak Out
10-22-2012, 01:03 AM
Running game was a complete and total dud. Not sure if it's more Green than the line but man...what a drop off since Benson went down.

Pugger
10-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Green had his problems. It looked like he could have had more success if he would have zigged instead of zagged a few times. I guess not all runners are as instinctive as guys like Benson.

ThunderDan
10-22-2012, 07:59 AM

I completely agree and put it in my blurb for Crosby.

The problem is Crosby is our FG kicker and for the first time since he got to GB I would not feel confident he could make anything more than a 35 yarder if it was a clutch situation.

QBME
10-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Stud: Packer Nation. I was at the game, and it was easily 50% Packer fans. We do travel well.

denverYooper
10-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Stud: Packer Nation. I was at the game, and it was easily 50% Packer fans. We do travel well.

Nice work yesterday!

mraynrand
10-22-2012, 09:38 AM

The "Go Pack Go" chants were incessant and clearly audible on the telly. Well done, Packer fan.

mraynrand
10-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Rodgers is totally being taken for granted. Stud, but not super stud? Absurd. from the JS:

"It's a mark of Rodgers' career accomplishments that his passer rating of 132.2 tied for just the 12th best in 4½ seasons, counting playoffs."

Rodgers is his own worst enemy at this point, being so consistently good as to be somewhat overlooked. Great play - pinpoint passes, great arm, smart protection calls, great adjustment, especially to offsides, very few stupid mistakes. Holding the ball too long a couple of times? Well, that's far better than winging crap into coverage and getting INTs.

Guiness
10-22-2012, 10:20 AM
The "Go Pack Go" chants were incessant and clearly audible on the telly. Well done, Packer fan.

As well as the "Kuhhhhhn" every time he touches the ball! The fans sure get a lot of mileage out of him, cause he's not that involved in the 'O'!

pbmax
10-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Rodgers is totally being taken for granted. Stud, but not super stud? Absurd. from the JS:

"It's a mark of Rodgers' career accomplishments that his passer rating of 132.2 tied for just the 12th best in 4½ seasons, counting playoffs."

Rodgers is his own worst enemy at this point, being so consistently good as to be somewhat overlooked. Great play - pinpoint passes, great arm, smart protection calls, great adjustment, especially to offsides, very few stupid mistakes. Holding the ball too long a couple of times? Well, that's far better than winging crap into coverage and getting INTs.

He did get a lot of love from Dungy and Harrison last night, with Dungy admitting he buried the Packers prematurely before the Texans game.

It continued on the Dan Patrick Show when Dungy named the Packers the best team in the NFC and the Texans as the best in the AFC. Asked about what the Packer victory at the Texans then meant, Dungy said it makes Green Bay the most frightening matchup at this point of the season.

George Cumby
10-22-2012, 10:56 AM

I watched the late game last night. The rapist and the red headed kid aren't bad, but they ain't no Aaron Rodgers.

We are some spoiled sonsabitches........

denverYooper
10-22-2012, 11:49 AM
He did get a lot of love from Dungy and Harrison last night, with Dungy admitting he buried the Packers prematurely before the Texans game.

It continued on the Dan Patrick Show when Dungy named the Packers the best team in the NFC and the Texans as the best in the AFC. Asked about what the Packer victory at the Texans then meant, Dungy said it makes Green Bay the most frightening matchup at this point of the season.

I would be curious to know why he thinks that. I mean, the offense has been very good against 2 of the better passing defenses in the league these last 2 weeks. I wonder, though, if they have just gotten on track with their game and are hot or have they incorporated adjustments into their offense against the way teams have been playing them?

If it is the latter, then "the blueprint" might be moot.

mraynrand
10-22-2012, 12:20 PM
I think Stubby running the damn ball, even when it works like crap, makes a significant difference. Several teams this year have commented, hell, Packer O-lineman have commented, that too much passing allows other teams just to tee off on the passing game, not even worrying about the run. If the Packers could run the ball middle of the pack effectively, they would be unstoppable.

P.S. Stubby - please stop with the third and one bombs, for chrissakes

Noodle
10-22-2012, 01:08 PM
I think Stubby running the damn ball, even when it works like crap, makes a significant difference.

Good observation. Even when Rodgers was just flat out ballin', they ran the ball about 25 times (yes, I'm not counting his kneel-down) to 37 throws. Not 50-50, but a pretty substantial commitment to a run game that couldn't even get to the "three yards" part of "and a cloud of dust."

BTW, that Rodgers long throw to Cobb for a TD should qualify both for Super Stud status. What an arm! What a catch!

Brandon494
10-22-2012, 01:39 PM
A running game is a QB best friend, I can't wait to see Rodgers once we get one. Shit even Favre had Levens and Green.

Fritz
10-22-2012, 01:51 PM
A running game is a QB best friend, I can't wait to see Rodgers once we get one. Shit even Favre had Levens and Green.

Applause to Stubby for sticking with the run, and boos to the offensive line for sucking at the blocking part. What's weird to me - since I'm not an expert - is the way Green runs versus Benson. Benson ran in what looked to me like the traditional "stretch" way - h e would run wide then plant and knife through a hole. Green looks more like he runs straight to the line of scrimmage, and the couple times he didn't, he got nailed.

Why the different approaches? Or are they the same? I wish I knew more.

And does the coaching staff just not think Starks is as good as Green?

A more productive running game would really, really help Rodgers and the rest of the team.

pbmax
10-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Why the different approaches? Or are they the same? I wish I knew more.

And does the coaching staff just not think Starks is as good as Green?

Bit of both. Green isn't as patient as Benson. And according to Billick, they put in some Alex Green runs for him versus St. Louis.