PDA

View Full Version : Randall Cobb, the X factor.

denverYooper
10-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Deserves his own thread. He is now a real matchup problem for other teams. His 40 yard TD at the end of the game is going to make DCs work even harder because he just showed that he's more than just a guy who effectively work underneath. That play was just nasty. He could easily become the BEST slot receiver in the league by year's end.

8 targets, 8 receptions for 89 yards and 2 TD. He's got good hands, doesn't seem to get phased by rough play, and Rodgers is starting to trust him in the clutch with good reason. He has also taken a bit of focus off of Jordy, and the results are showing there.

Many of the sage posters at Packerrats have been calling for an expanded role for this young man. It looks as though he could be the offense's savior this year.

pbmax
10-22-2012, 10:20 AM
I love that he seems to be someone who can get open after the original play, or Rodgers protection, breaks down. Making him invaluable while Jennings is out. Before that, it seemed like any Rodgers adventure out of the pocket was always going to result in either run or throw away.

Upnorth
10-22-2012, 10:22 AM
For a WR he has turned into our most dominant runner. I love his quickness and good hands.

Freak Out
10-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Man....think of the possibilities when Jennings comes back.

Tony Oday
10-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Percy Harvin is a step up from Cobb but he looks good.

OS PA
10-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Percy Harvin is a step up from Cobb but he looks good.

Aside from his inability to see the field consistently. I'll take Cobb over Harvin any day of the week on dependability.

mraynrand
10-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Harvin is the only receiver worth anything on the Vikings. Sure Rudolph catches a few at TE, but he's about as dynamic as Ben Stein on quaaludes. Harvin's getting a lot of attention, because he's all the Vikings have through the air. That being said, a lot of stuff he gets are quick outs where he's supposed to beat a guy one on one, and he's certainly talented, but he's the man in MN. Cobb is one of several in GB.

sharpe1027
10-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Ben Stein has sneaky dynaminicity.

Tony Oday
10-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Rudolph is a great red zone TE...he actually catches the ball...weird.

Bossman641
10-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Love the way MM is utilizing Cobb. The innovation should only continue once Jennings gets back. Jennings and Cobb in the slots? Good luck stopping that. I'd like to see Cobb line up in the backfield and run a wheel route.

Brandon494
10-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Called it from day one, dude is a future star. If you saw him play in college you knew what type of player GB was getting when they drafted him. The things he would do against the top defenses in college football playing in the SEC were unreal with the talent he had around him at Kentucky. This guy played QB, HB, and WR during his career for Kentucky and I hope MM starts to use him in the backfield in more once Jennings comes back.

mraynrand
10-22-2012, 01:34 PM

He's like a slower Bubba Franks

pbmax
10-22-2012, 01:53 PM

He's killing me with inconsistent output in FF. Clearly, he is underutilized by Ponder's over reliance on Harvin. :lol:

Pugger
10-22-2012, 03:35 PM

When he does it will be fun to watch DBs chase both of these guys all over the field. :-D

George Cumby
10-22-2012, 03:40 PM
That catch on that final td was amazing.

mission
10-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Pro Bowl player, easy. Might not make it this year as it seems to be something you get the following season, but the kid is legitimate. I'd like to see him in an actual full-time role. Love seeing #12 gain confidence in him and get him the ball more and more in crucial spots.

red
10-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Called it from day one, dude is a future star. If you saw him play in college you knew what type of player GB was getting when they drafted him. The things he would do against the top defenses in college football playing in the SEC were unreal with the talent he had around him at Kentucky. This guy played QB, HB, and WR during his career for Kentucky and I hope MM starts to use him in the backfield in more once Jennings comes back.

i was right there with ya brandon. we're just starting to scratch the surface with this kid

i love him lining up in the backfield for a few plays a game

gbgary
10-22-2012, 09:22 PM
I pay zero attention to college fb so at the time he was drafted I noted the excitement many of you showed for him at the time. you guys were right...he's a phenom!

HarveyWallbangers
10-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Aside from his inability to see the field consistently. I'll take Cobb over Harvin any day of the week on dependability.

No offense, Cobb is great, but Harvin is on another level. He's Randall Cobb with elite speed. And, despite his concussion problems in his first two years, he's only missed 3 games in 3 1/2 years. None in the last two years.

HarveyWallbangers
10-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Everybody loved the Cobb pick.

rbaloha1
10-23-2012, 10:42 AM
X,Y,Z factors.

Cobb is also being utilized like Sproles. MM watched every Sproles play from last season and is utilizing Cobb in a similar manner.

Cobb could replace Jennings which means a new returner must be secured in the upcoming draft.

LegandofthePack15
10-23-2012, 11:13 AM
X,Y,Z factors.

Cobb is also being utilized like Sproles. MM watched every Sproles play from last season and is utilizing Cobb in a similar manner.

Cobb could replace Jennings which means a new returner must be secured in the upcoming draft.

I think more like Harvin. Sproles lines up in the back field most of the time. Maybe Cobb will play more rb when Jennings returns. But right now, he's more like a Harvin clone.

Patler
10-23-2012, 12:26 PM
No offense, Cobb is great, but Harvin is on another level. He's Randall Cobb with elite speed. And, despite his concussion problems in his first two years, he's only missed 3 games in 3 1/2 years. None in the last two years.

Harvin may have more God-given athletic talent, but I'm not sure who will be the better player when all is said and done. It has been mentioned that Cobb's ultimate goal is to be a head coach after he is done playing, and that he is preparing for it already. It has been said that he studies film constantly and keeps extensive notes on players and schemes. He designs plays and defenses for fun. It was said last year that he was getting to know the offense as good as any of the QBs. All of that preparation can have outstanding results. Rodgers has said that Cobb sees plays developing the same as he does.

The TD Sunday is a good example. Cobb said it was designed for him to go inside, and he was open inside, but as soon as he saw Rodgers moving, he turned outside to get into Rodger's field of view. Seems obvious, yet not all players react soon enough, aggressively enough and sufficiently determined to make the play when the original play breaks down. Maybe Harvin is just as smart and plays just as well. I really don't care, because having Cobb is just fine with me.

Rodgers and Cobb could become one of those really special QB/WR pairings.

mmmdk
10-23-2012, 01:35 PM

One pigskin won't be enough!

George Cumby
10-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Harvin may have more God-given athletic talent, but I'm not sure who will be the better player when all is said and done. It has been mentioned that Cobb's ultimate goal is to be a head coach after he is done playing, and that he is preparing for it already. It has been said that he studies film constantly and keeps extensive notes on players and schemes. He designs plays and defenses for fun. It was said last year that he was getting to know the offense as good as any of the QBs. All of that preparation can have outstanding results. Rodgers has said that Cobb sees plays developing the same as he does.

The TD Sunday is a good example. Cobb said it was designed for him to go inside, and he was open inside, but as soon as he saw Rodgers moving, he turned outside to get into Rodger's field of view. Seems obvious, yet not all players react soon enough, aggressively enough and sufficiently determined to make the play when the original play breaks down. Maybe Harvin is just as smart and plays just as well. I really don't care, because having Cobb is just fine with me.

Rodgers and Cobb could become one of those really special QB/WR pairings.

I have a woody!

3irty1
10-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Harvin is one of the best athletes on the offensive side of the football in the world and is almost as versatile as Cobb (Remember Cobb also has an arm!). But the only place where one of these guys really stands out is in the head. Cobb was called by many the best locker room guy in his draft. Harvin has been synonymous with weed and migrains. I'll take Cobb any day!

Joemailman
10-23-2012, 08:08 PM
I remember reading that at Kentucky Cobb was a film junkie. He would drop in on the coach's meetings when they were watching film. So it's not surprising that he has coaching aspirations.

The day after he was drafted by the Packers, he was asked at a PC if he was disappointed to last until the last pick of the 2nd round. His response was "I would have waited until the 7th round if it meant going to Green Bay". While that may have been in part playing to the home crowd, I think he did realize that the Packers multi-faceted passing offense utilizes his skills perfectly.

Aaron Rodgers: "He's a star in the making," "He's a big-time player. He has the right approach for being a professional. He takes his job very seriously. He sees the game through the eyes of a quarterback. He's played quarterback before (at Kentucky), but he asks the right questions.

"He wants to be on the same page with me. He kind of wants to know what I'm thinking."

mission
10-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Damn, if I loved the guy before, I don't even know how to describe it after reading some of yalls posts. Wow.

pbmax
10-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Harvin is one of the best athletes on the offensive side of the football in the world and is almost as versatile as Cobb (Remember Cobb also has an arm!). But the only place where one of these guys really stands out is in the head. Cobb was called by many the best locker room guy in his draft. Harvin has been synonymous with weed and migrains. I'll take Cobb any day!

To be fair, that weed is probably helping the migraines.

Zool
10-24-2012, 08:48 AM
To be fair, that weed is probably helping the migraines.

Dammit, it's medicinal. Percy gots the cataracts.