PDA

View Full Version : MM has made adjustments

wist43
10-23-2012, 12:28 PM
McCarthy has made the necessary adjustments to right the ship offensively - Rodgers getting his head out of his ass, and the receivers elevating their play has certainly helped... but I give MM credit for shortening up the play calls, and taking what is there.

Also, he has been incorporating more power running plays, i.e. pulling Guards and Tackles, traps, and wam blocks. I haven't had time to go thru the games on the DVR the last couple of weeks, but I did notice a nice mix of run plays during the games.

Nice job for MM.

------------------------------------------

Capers on the other hand is still running his pussified fronts, but at least we haven't seen the busted coverages on the back end, he's playing more man, he's been blitizing more, and he's been disguising those blitizes well presnap.

He's still a flaming fairy of a DC - and I want his head on a block, but at least he's actually doing some coordinating as opposed to his usual MO of playing passively.

Even with his new found dedication to actually doing his job - Capers cannot ever be trusted. He is still just as likely to come out with a braindead game plan as he is to actually scheming to disrupt the opponent.

Will always distrust Capers... still want him gone.

denverYooper
10-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Just hypothetically, if the obviously best DC in the league was openly gay, would you want him to coach Green Bay's defense?

wist43
10-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Just hypothetically, if the obviously best DC in the league was openly gay, would you want him to coach Green Bay's defense?

Did I offend your sensative little feelings cutie pie?? Get over yourself you politically correct nazi.

I'm a Libertarian - couldn't care less whose fudge your packing.

Fritz
10-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Did I offend your sensative little feelings cutie pie?? Get over yourself you politically correct nazi.

This is just a shitty reply, Wist.

Zool
10-23-2012, 02:47 PM
This is just a shitty reply, Wist.

I'm pooped from reading these horrible puns. Easily #2 on my list of crap I didn't want to read today.

denverYooper
10-23-2012, 03:00 PM

Don't flatter yourself toots.

It had nothing to do with being PC and everything to do with a situation with potential dramatic intrigue.

Bossman641
10-23-2012, 03:05 PM
I got halfway through the initial post and was thinking holy shit a positive Wist...then I read the second half on Capers. That's more like it Wist!!

:bclap::bclap::bclap:

Brando19
10-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Ron Rivera could be fired soon. Rivera for DC in Green Bay!!

wist43
10-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Don't flatter yourself toots.

It had nothing to do with being PC and everything to do with a situation with potential dramatic intrigue.

Can't stand political correctness... and even though I think Harlan is a completely dishonest, left-wing POS, the hyper-sensative princesses in here who ran him out on a rail are more offensive to me than the video he posted of Kennedy getting his brains blown out.

I didn't especially want to see Kennedy's brains splattered all over my computer screen - but for the most part, so what?? Who hasn't seen that a million times??

You want to comment on the content of my football analysis, fine... what do you think?? How I phrase or characterize it is beside the point.

You guys need to grow up - and grow a pair.

mission
10-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Nice post, not sure where the gay stuff is coming from.

Hopefully MM continues to adjust and stay ahead of the curve. It looks like they're definitely trying.

pbmax
10-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Can't stand political correctness... and even though I think Harlan is a completely dishonest, left-wing POS, the hyper-sensative princesses in here who ran him out on a rail are more offensive to me than the video he posted of Kennedy getting his brains blown out.

I didn't especially want to see Kennedy's brains splattered all over my computer screen - but for the most part, so what?? Who hasn't seen that a million times??

You want to comment on the content of my football analysis, fine... what do you think?? How I phrase or characterize it is beside the point.

1. Your analysis is predictable and self-serving. Entire 2010 Super Bowl run (and every other successful period) you disappear until the very end, at which time you offered the same kind of faint praise you dished out in the original post to McCarthy. Like a broken clock twice a day, claiming a defense is not tough enough and its coordinator hopeless will always look timely occasionally. I still seem to remember how the McCarthy West Coast offense wasn't going to work without a All Pro QB. Funny how I haven't read that in some time. I can't wait to read after the 2013 draft how the Packers can't draft for defense.

2. If the best insult you can dish out is calling Capers a fairy, then your writing and imagination are in worse shape than your analysis. Seems 6th grade recess quality. At least we can rest assured you are plenty manly.

3. Its a moderated Packers board. There is no free speech here like is observed in the other rooms. And I, for one, don't need enhanced blood/brain spatter with my Cheerios in the morning. If you can live with it, keep posting. Some of your observations make plenty of sense (see the Game Day thread for confirmation). Otherwise, take the holier than thou internet tough guy routine to You Tube.

4. Everyone makes mistakes and has disagreements with others on this board. If Harlan's latest has driven him away, its his own choice, no one called for his head. I think you have mis-identified the hesitant. Courage would be to own up to a mistake and admit it and move on with a minimum of drama. We have some posters who cannot seem to manage that.

mraynrand
10-24-2012, 12:25 AM

no one ran Harlan out on a rail. He can post any time he wants. So what if the mod eliminates a gross vid on the Packer forum? It's not Harlan's site, so he loses. People can dis/like what he posts if they want; nobody's free speech is being compromised. You want to say/post anything you want with impunity? Start your own site.

wist43
10-24-2012, 12:46 AM
1. Your analysis is predictable and self-serving. Entire 2010 Super Bowl run (and every other successful period) you disappear until the very end, at which time you offered the same kind of faint praise you dished out in the original post to McCarthy. Like a broken clock twice a day, claiming a defense is not tough enough and its coordinator hopeless will always look timely occasionally. I still seem to remember how the McCarthy West Coast offense wasn't going to work without a All Pro QB. Funny how I haven't read that in some time. I can't wait to read after the 2013 draft how the Packers can't draft for defense.

2. If the best insult you can dish out is calling Capers a fairy, then your writing and imagination are in worse shape than your analysis. Seems 6th grade recess quality. At least we can rest assured you are plenty manly.

3. Its a moderated Packers board. There is no free speech here like is observed in the other rooms. And I, for one, don't need enhanced blood/brain spatter with my Cheerios in the morning. If you can live with it, keep posting. Some of your observations make plenty of sense (see the Game Day thread for confirmation). Otherwise, take the holier than thou internet tough guy routine to You Tube.

4. Everyone makes mistakes and has disagreements with others on this board. If Harlan's latest has driven him away, its his own choice, no one called for his head. I think you have mis-identified the hesitant. Courage would be to own up to a mistake and admit it and move on with a minimum of drama. We have some posters who cannot seem to manage that.

Get bent max...

When I'm not active it's b/c I'm either busy or I'm having health problems. In the last 6 years I've had 3 surgeries, gotten divorced, remarried, and had 2 kids - PR isn't my life.

I have a point of view - it is an arguable and defendable point of view. I don't like Capers as a DC, never have.

Stick that in your panties and spin on it for a while.

Freak Out
10-24-2012, 12:50 AM
It's been awhile since since we had an epic train wreck. Brakeman's been smoking weed again!

denverYooper
10-24-2012, 10:25 AM
http://ricehoppers.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/pic-3-hammer.gif

mraynrand
10-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Is that like a proto-smurf?

sharpe1027
10-24-2012, 10:38 AM

People seem to forget that freedom of speech is a two way street. If Harlan decided to take his ball and go home, that's his decision and it shows an unwillingness to take criticism (right or wrong, criticism of view points is one of the most protected areas of free speech). As far as I know, nobody besides Harlan was so offended that they took their ball and when home.

Perhaps you are asking the wrong people to grow a pair?

wist43
10-24-2012, 11:46 AM
People seem to forget that freedom of speech is a two way street. If Harlan decided to take his ball and go home, that's his decision and it shows an unwillingness to take criticism (right or wrong, criticism of view points is one of the most protected areas of free speech). As far as I know, nobody besides Harlan was so offended that they took their ball and when home.

Perhaps you are asking the wrong people to grow a pair?

Harlan and I are constantly at each others throats in FYI... certainly not uncommon for either one of us to tell the other fuck off; but we're right back at it the next day.

I didn't pay that close attention to the bruhaha that prompted Harlan to take a break from PR, and "freedom of speech" is only an applicable term in relation to government. In a private setting you are only subject to the rules of the ownership. That said, political correctness is a disgusting pack mentality born out of insecurity and weakness; and unfortunately, it's everywhere around us everyday.

Amerikans (liberals usually) take "offense" at words for Christ's sake (yes, I know it is illegal to say "Christ" - surely an atheist will report me to the Feds); and bounce immediately into attack/ostracization mode - to me, that is repugnant. I respect peoples freedom, people of the politically correct persuasion do not. They hide behind speech codes, the strength of the mob, and then use "might makes right" to bludgeon anyone who may have run afoul of their sensibilities.

Harlan is a fundamentally dishonest person, but he at least has the guts to fight the mob.

rbaloha1
10-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Thread started positive but turned into childish banter.

Yes, MM has adjusted. The loss of Philbin combined with Jennings stagnated the offense.

MM resorted back to what he preaches -- running attempts not yards. Plus AR is not forcing the ball into deep cover 2 coverage -- taking what the defense is giving.

Joemailman
10-24-2012, 11:56 AM

Yes, MM has adjusted. The loss of Philbin combined with Jennings stagnated the offense.

MM resorted back to what he preaches -- running attempts not yards. Plus AR is not forcing the ball into deep cover 2 coverage -- taking what the defense is giving.

This is 2009 all over again. McCarthy and Rodgers want to go downfield, and can be a bit stubborn about changing the focus. Eventually they do though, and the Packers could go on a 2009-like second half tear that saw them go from 4-4 to 11-5.

sharpe1027
10-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Harlan and I are constantly at each others throats in FYI... certainly not uncommon for either one of us to tell the other fuck off; but we're right back at it the next day.

I didn't pay that close attention to the bruhaha that prompted Harlan to take a break from PR, and "freedom of speech" is only an applicable term in relation to government. In a private setting you are only subject to the rules of the ownership. That said, political correctness is a disgusting pack mentality born out of insecurity and weakness; and unfortunately, it's everywhere around us everyday.

Amerikans (liberals usually) take "offense" at words for Christ's sake (yes, I know it is illegal to say "Christ" - surely an atheist will report me to the Feds); and bounce immediately into attack/ostracization mode - to me, that is repugnant. I respect peoples freedom, people of the politically correct persuasion do not. They hide behind speech codes, the strength of the mob, and then use "might makes right" to bludgeon anyone who may have run afoul of their sensibilities.

Harlan is a fundamentally dishonest person, but he at least has the guts to fight the mob.

Point taken and agreed as a general principle for extreme cases. IMO, your broad brush generalization has little to do with anything that happened in this matter. Simply because Harlan deliberately took a position contrary to several poster's personal sense of posting boundaries does not make it a mob mentality, does not mean Harlan was been ostracized, and do not make the posters liberals advancing ridiculous PC positions. Some people thought blood spattered gore was not really required in a football forum. Big deal.

It was borderline post that I did not complain about personally. But for Harlan to pretend like he was some messiah protecting free speech for all of us was comical. Moving on.

I think Capers is doing fine and is an above average D-coordinator. I would suggest that if we were to let him go we would be more likely to take a step backward than improve. That coupled with the often ignored benefits of continuity of coaching staffs make me resistant to any changes in the foreseeable future.

wist43
10-24-2012, 12:14 PM

To me, what is important about the changes MM has made is that he is now incorporating power running plays - the scrum left, right, and middle wasn't a running a game, it was little more than taking a break from bombs away.

I just read an article about the Raiders and McFadden's struggles. The Raiders installed the zone blocking scheme this summer and it has turned one of the most explosive RB's in the league into a slug. The beat writers out there have been complaining about the Raiders running game with the same criticisms I've had about the Packers, i.e. their running game consisted only of scrum left/middle/right. I drafted McFadden in a FF money league - had I known they had switched to the zone blocking scheme I wouldn't have drafted him.

Over their bye week, the Raiders installed more power running plays - just as McCarthy has done with the Packers over these past couple of weeks. They didn't see much improvement in production last week - they have a pathetic OL; but at least they recognized the futility of being so one demensional in their running game, and made changes.

That is what I'm giving MM credit for... recognizing that the 3 running plays he had in his playbook weren't cutting it, and incorporating some power plays. It was great to see Lang and Sitton pulling. Calling running plays for the sake of calling running plays wasn't going to get us anywhere if they were consistently ineffective. Incorporating the power plays will improve our production in the running game and force defenses to be more honest - which will make the passing game all the more effective.

McCarthy made the adjustments that I, and many others, saw as necessary early on in the season. The Raiders learned the same lesson and they adjusted as well. A straight zone blocking scheme is pretty easy to defend... mixing it up will make us much more dangerous offensively.

swede
10-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Remember when Dan Akroyd used to host another episode of Bad Ballet?

MM is like that with the running game. He might as well say that. "A bad running game is an excellent complement to a good passing game."

There may even be an argument that he pressures TT to scour the nation's colleges and universities looking to find the rare running backs that have just the right combination of missing qualities that will allow them to be unsuccessful in our historically bad running game."

(Combine Interview Room)

TT: Joe, if you see a big running lane to your left and a clogged up alley of guards, tackles and defensive ends to your right, what do you do?

Joe Running Back: Well usually I cut to the right.

(Knowing glances and little smiles of excitement cross the faces of the Packer coaches and coordinators!)

TT: Thanks, Joe

LegandofthePack15
10-24-2012, 12:29 PM
the video he posted of Kennedy getting his brains blown out.

I didn't especially want to see Kennedy's brains splattered all over my computer screen

There wasn't any brain splatter. It was just a fuzzy 3 second clip that kept repeating over and over in cyberspace until a mod deleted it.

I am not a big fan of crybabies. Don't like a certain post, just ignore it and move on. :-)

LP
10-24-2012, 12:46 PM
McCarthy made the adjustments that I, and many others, saw as necessary early on in the season.

Keep patting yourself on the back like this and your gonna dislocate your shoulder.

wist43
10-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Keep patting yourself on the back like this and your gonna dislocate your shoulder.

This forum is awash in Homers - if you point out a flaw, you're a traitor. I pointed out this particular flaw from game 1 and was predictably castigated for it.

That's the way you guys operate. When we're winning you're all sunshine and lollipops; when we're losing you're gnashing of teeth and lashing out at everyone. My posts tend to be of a critical, analytical nature - win, lose, or draw. Even if you win, you have to look at your shortcomings and shore them up - that's the nature of competition. Ignore your weaknesses, and you'll surely get your ass handed to you eventually.

For sure and for certain, your opponent is looking at your weaknesses. Football isn't rocket science... it's pretty easy to go back thru a game and look at what is working and why; same as what is not working and why.

pbmax
10-24-2012, 01:20 PM
I'll just take my GIF comments for Leg to the Romper Room so this can go back to discussing Capers, who currently helms the 13th ranked scoring defense (with no bye week yet-EDIT-wrong-they are 13th in average its/game), 14th ranked yards defense, 19th ranked by profootballreference and 10th ranked by DVOA at Football Outsiders. If only he knew what he was doing better than his peers.

Fritz
10-24-2012, 01:31 PM
"That's the way you guys operate. When we're winning you're all sunshine and lollipops; when we're losing you're gnashing of teeth and lashing out at everyone."

That's the general tendency of fans everywhere. Another, more recent (and to me more disturbing) tendency is to criticize a team no matter what they do or don't do, as if it's easy to win, and obvious how to win.

But it's not.

Your analysis is not all that deep. In sum, your criticism of Capers consists of arguing against his use of two or three man fronts. In truth I tend to agree; however, I think it's foolish to discount it the way you do. Surely there is room for two and three man fronts. If it didn't ever work, the fact is no one would use it, your hyperbole about Capers's supposedly unmanly playcalling preferences and his sheer stubborness notwithstanding.

hoosier
10-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Is that like a proto-smurf?

I think it's a Thing with a hammer to which everything looks like a nail. But I could be wrong. On the assumption that I am not, though, I have to conclude that it's a metaphor for Monday Morning QBing run amock mixed with eternal pessimism.

LP
10-24-2012, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE=wist43;692966] My posts tend to be of a critical, analytical nature - win, lose, or draw.QUOTE]

I find your posts to be of a "my way or it's wrong" nature. When they do well, it's because they got lucky. When they do poorly, it's because they didn't follow your advice.

Remember, there is a reason they get paid, and you just post on a discussion board.

wist43
10-24-2012, 01:39 PM
I'll just take my GIF comments for Leg to the Romper Room so this can go back to discussing Capers, who currently helms the 13th ranked scoring defense (with no bye week yet), 14th ranked yards defense, 19th ranked by profootballreference and 10th ranked by DVOA at Football Outsiders. If only he knew what he was doing better than his peers.

The Packers were dead last in yds last year - set a league record for futility; 6 sacks in the last 7 games; yet it was all sunshine and lollipops for you max - no criticism allowed!!

I've said many times that TT went out and addressed the problem in large measure with an entire draft dedicated to fixing the problem. Capers has more to work with this year; Capers is as decorated as any DC in the league and is entirely capable of producing a lights out game plan. He also entirely capable of producing an idiotic game plan, and refusing to adjust.

My main criticism of Capers is his nature of preferring coverage to pressure; and playing passive fronts. He's come out with 2 good game plans in a row - next week he is just as likely to give up 500+ yards to the woeful Jaguars. I don't think that will happen b/c the Jaguars are probably the worst team in the league, but I don't put anything past Capers. I don't trust him, and never will.

sharpe1027
10-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Wist, to the extent that you get "castigated" (nice word choice!), it seems to generally be for your strong tendency to take everything over-the-top: MM is a stubborn moron. TT is an idiot. Capers is gay and likes frilly things. I (wist) know how to make the Packers better and it is so simple (implying anyone that doesn't agree is dense or doesn't know football).

I am a firm believer in the free market. Capers, TT and MM represent three individuals that in their respective fields the free market has born out that they know more than anyone on this forum. As an Internet poster and fan, I recognize the difference in football intelligence between me and my fellow Internet forum posters and a paid professional at the highest level of competition. Surely, they can make mistakes and be criticized but at the same time I recognize that they are doing what they do for a reason, not because they are braindead.

IMO, if you held back from the over-the-top portions of your posts, people would be much more receptive to your insights (which you always seem to have thought-out and can provide a basis for).

Bossman641
10-24-2012, 01:47 PM
The Packers were dead last in yds last year - set a league record for futility; 6 sacks in the last 7 games; yet it was all sunshine and lollipops for you max - no criticism allowed!!

I've said many times that TT went out and addressed the problem in large measure with an entire draft dedicated to fixing the problem. Capers has more to work with this year; Capers is as decorated as any DC in the league and is entirely capable of producing a lights out game plan. He also entirely capable of producing an idiotic game plan, and refusing to adjust.

My main criticism of Capers is his nature of preferring coverage to pressure; and playing passive fronts. He's come out with 2 good game plans in a row - next week he is just as likely to give up 500+ yards to the woeful Jaguars. I don't think that will happen b/c the Jaguars are probably the worst team in the league, but I don't put anything past Capers. I don't trust him, and never will.

Are you delusional? I guess the fact you think there was no criticism of the D last year says it all. Nobody was happy with the way the defense played. The only positive posts were by those who were thankful that at least the defense was forcing turnovers.

Against the Rams the Packers played their 3 man front on quite a few 3rd downs, and I believe it worked every time.

denverYooper
10-24-2012, 01:48 PM
I think it's a Thing with a hammer to which everything looks like a nail. But I could be wrong. On the assumption that I am not, though, I have to conclude that it's a metaphor for Monday Morning QBing run amock mixed with eternal pessimism.

Cierto. It's Maslow's hammer.

hoosier
10-24-2012, 01:48 PM
I suppose I can understand how Capers's defense doesn't have aesthetic appeal for some fans. Ed Donatell was the same way. Schurmer is probably the only GB DC since the Dark Ages who cultivated the kind of physical defense that some fans crave. But even his defenses had their ups and downs--and probably far more of them than Capers's. If you think TT does an adequate or better job of stocking the team with talent then judge Capers by his total body of work from 2009 through present. In scoring the defense has ranked 7th (2009), 2nd ('10), 19th ('11) and 13th ('12 so far). In yards allowed, 2nd ('09), 5th, ('10), 32nd ('11) and 21st ('12 to date). Last year the defense was a statistical disappointment (but still managed to be part of an epic regular season record), but overall the stats indicate a much better than average record of success.

hoosier
10-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Cierto. It's Maslow's hammer.

Aka (in England) the Birmingham screwdriver :-)

wist43
10-25-2012, 01:25 AM
I'm watching the Big Bang Theory -

Leonard's mom: Your uncle died.

Leonard: OMG, what happened?

Leonard's mom: His heart stopped beating. I have to urninate.

My "deep" analysis?? She is stupid, if she'd have urinated earlier, Leonard's uncle would still be alive.

Yes, I understand I am not a doctor, and therefore unqualified to offer such an analysis - yet, there it is ;)

Welcome to the internet comrades.

Pugger
10-25-2012, 07:56 AM
I'll just take my GIF comments for Leg to the Romper Room so this can go back to discussing Capers, who currently helms the 13th ranked scoring defense (with no bye week yet-EDIT-wrong-they are 13th in average its/game), 14th ranked yards defense, 19th ranked by profootballreference and 10th ranked by DVOA at Football Outsiders. If only he knew what he was doing better than his peers.

And the #1 defense at sacking the QB. This is truly a HUGE improvement over last season. We have to remember we have a boat load of kids starting on our defense too so I believe this group will only get better as the season progresses.

pbmax
10-25-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm watching the Big Bang Theory -

Leonard's mom: Your uncle died.

Leonard: OMG, what happened?

Leonard's mom: His heart stopped beating. I have to urninate.

My "deep" analysis?? She is stupid, if she'd have urinated earlier, Leonard's uncle would still be alive.

Best wist post ever.

Fritz
10-25-2012, 07:10 PM
And I don't understand it.

George Cumby
10-25-2012, 07:48 PM
And I don't understand it.

So I'm not alone. ;-)

George Cumby
10-25-2012, 07:50 PM
This forum is awash in Homers - if you point out a flaw, you're a traitor. I pointed out this particular flaw from game 1 and was predictably castigated for it.

That would be me.

I do appreciate your contrarian perspective, although a bit monotonous in tone, I'm glad their is a dissenting viewpoint which generates discussion.

Your points might be better taken if not routinely hyperbolic. Just a thought.

MadtownPacker
10-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Dear Wist,

Official note: We want to keep the Packers area viewable at work for the most part. Cussing is allowed and really images are the biggest issue so I dont think the removal was unjustified. I stand by any decision a mod makes.

Personal note: Shut your correction fluid face the hell up and get back to being the local debbie downer before I bench your ass and put ATLPackfan in your spot!

MadtownPacker
10-25-2012, 08:00 PM
That bitch is fine the way he is.

George Cumby
10-25-2012, 08:03 PM
That bitch is fine the way he is.

You mean with a drool covered ball gag inserted?

wist43
10-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Dear Wist,

Official note: We want to keep the Packers area viewable at work for the most part. Cussing is allowed and really images are the biggest issue so I dont think the removal was unjustified. I stand by any decision a mod makes.

I didn't care that a mod took Harlan's brain splatter down - and I didn't pay much attention to the vitriol... I saw a bit of the back and forth, and know that Harlan walked. In my experience in dealing with Harlan, without bothering to go back and look at all the back and forth, it would seem to take quite a bit for him to hit the sidelines.

I have pretty thick skin - politically correct bullies, which are legion in our sickass society, aren't going to push me around. I have to live in this disgusting country, and live with them around me all day, every day... it's not like I'm not used to them.

wist43
10-26-2012, 01:05 AM
That would be me.

I do appreciate your contrarian perspective, although a bit monotonous in tone, I'm glad their is a dissenting viewpoint which generates discussion.

As I said in another post - I look at the weaknesses... just as our opponents would. Everyone can see what is working - everyone pretty much ignores what isn't working... especially if we win the game.

Last year, we went 15-1, but were a seriously flawed team... as long as we were winning, nobody wanted to hear about the flaws. Perhaps MM and Capers were able to convince themselves of it as well?? In the end, an opponent doesn't care that you think quite highly of yourself. The Giants came to Lambeau in the playoffs and punched us right in the mouth, and we didn't have an answer. The Niners pushed us around with ease; the Chiefs beat us up pretty good...

Sweep the flaws under the rug and focus on the happy face stuff.

Fritz
10-26-2012, 05:34 AM
I'm pretty sure MM and Capers were well aware of the flaws last year, Wist. I don't think they'd have NFL jobs if they thought the defense was playing just fine as it was.

The problem is not that your analysis of the weaknesses is without merit; the problem is your assertion that Capers and MM either don't know, don't want to know, or don't care. That's idiocy, is what that is.

What do you think they were supposed to do? Come out and proclaim that the talent just wasn't there? Then go onto the field to coach those guys? And don't tell me Capers didn't blitz; there was plenty of that. The blitzes just didn't get home, and damn, that was aggravating to watch.

What the team can say for public consumption is surely not what MM, Capers, et al are saying behind closed doors.

mission
10-26-2012, 06:57 PM
As I said in another post - I look at the weaknesses... just as our opponents would. Everyone can see what is working - everyone pretty much ignores what isn't working... especially if we win the game.

Last year, we went 15-1, but were a seriously flawed team... as long as we were winning, nobody wanted to hear about the flaws. Perhaps MM and Capers were able to convince themselves of it as well?? In the end, an opponent doesn't care that you think quite highly of yourself. The Giants came to Lambeau in the playoffs and punched us right in the mouth, and we didn't have an answer. The Niners pushed us around with ease; the Chiefs beat us up pretty good...

Sweep the flaws under the rug and focus on the happy face stuff.

Why would fans of a 15-1 team want to talk about a bunch of flaws? Sure it can make for conversation sometimes, but we are fans. If that makes me a homer, then I'm a homer. I choose to try and feel good throughout my day. I try to eat things I like and do the things I like. Do well in my job so I can make more money and my boss says nice things and keeps me around awhile longer. I try to treat people reasonably and be nice to my wife and kids when I come home. I choose to generally focus on the positive things in my life.

Sorry I don't want to spend a bunch of time being miserable. Packers as the topic or otherwise. I suspect many other people are like me. Doubt the few "neg-balls" on this forum are negative people only on this forum regarding the Packers. I just feel sorry for your wives...

StPaulPackFan
10-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Why would fans of a 15-1 team want to talk about a bunch of flaws? Sure it can make for conversation sometimes, but we are fans. If that makes me a homer, then I'm a homer. I choose to try and feel good throughout my day. I try to eat things I like and do the things I like. Do well in my job so I can make more money and my boss says nice things and keeps me around awhile longer. I try to treat people reasonably and be nice to my wife and kids when I come home. I choose to generally focus on the positive things in my life.

Sorry I don't want to spend a bunch of time being miserable. Packers as the topic or otherwise. I suspect many other people are like me. Doubt the few "neg-balls" on this forum are negative people only on this forum regarding the Packers. I just feel sorry for your wives...

Mission, I couldn't agree with you more. It wasn't too long ago that I used to let a Packer loss depress me for several days. I didn't enjoy the wins, I just hated the losses. In fact I realized that I didn't even enjoy watching the games. I assume I was much like Wist (Sorry if I'm out of line here, Wist :-)). I was critical of every play call, every formation, my perceived lack of player's effort and nearly every coaches intelligence. No win was good enough and every loss was a total disaster. There was always something I could complain about.

Some personal traumas in my life have caused me to change how I live and how I approach being a fan. I now look at Packer games for what they are, entertainment. I have learned to enjoy watching Packers games again regardless of the outcome. Bottom line, I am a lot happier person. It really is exhausting putting so much negative energy into something that you have no control of.

mission
10-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Mission, I couldn't agree with you more. It wasn't too long ago that I used to let a Packer loss depress me for several days. I didn't enjoy the wins, I just hated the losses. In fact I realized that I didn't even enjoy watching the games. I assume I was much like Wist (Sorry if I'm out of line here, Wist :-)). I was critical of every play call, every formation, my perceived lack of player's effort and nearly every coaches intelligence. No win was good enough and every loss was a total disaster. There was always something I could complain about.

Some personal traumas in my life have caused me to change how I live and how I approach being a fan. I now look at Packer games for what they are, entertainment. I have learned to enjoy watching Packers games again regardless of the outcome. Bottom line, I am a lot happier person. It really is exhausting putting so much negative energy into something that you have no control of.

Glad you've came around too! Losses destroyed me, it was the worst of the worst. Fire everybody. Fuck everybody too.

Real life puts things into perspective. I love this team just as much as I always have, but I just don't have the time to invest much negative energy into it. I can barely be on twitter during a Packer game... my timeline is just filled with rage even though the team might be winning. There's always something to nitpick.

I'm a homer and life is good. Go Pack Go.

pbmax
10-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Its not even a matter of sweeping flaws under the rug. There were far more positive things to talk about in a 15-1 season than negative. And there was no lack of coverage about the problems on defense. Only a question of how badly they would come up and bite the team in the ass.

And as bad as that defense played, the offense was at fault for the last loss of the season. And the worst loss (Chiefs) of the regular season. Much of the hand wringing afterward was an attempt to blame the defense for one of their better performances that season (at least until the end of the first half). Should have been enough to give the offense a chance to strike early. It wasn't good enough in the end, but the offense has overcome worse during that season. And you don't win the majority of playoff games these days with 20 points, seven of which came after the game was in hand.

Better fortune with Philbin's tragedy and Jennings injury and the Packers and Patriots would have been the 1st and 2nd worst pass defenses in the NFL playing in the Super Bowl. Belicheck gets credit, Capers gets blame. There is not much difference between the coaches or the front office.

Its not that people don't see the flaws. Everyone is trying to see how the team goes on a run despite them. Who wants to look forward to a demise?

King Friday
10-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Winning a Super Bowl recently helps a lot. I live among Browns fans and Bengals fans who are constantly miserable because their teams have been awful for decades. That would make it much worse. Enjoy the highs...let the lows blow over because you can sit back and watch Wist go into know-it-all mode, which is always a treat.

MadtownPacker
10-26-2012, 10:36 PM
sit back and watch Wist go into know-it-all mode, which is always a treat.
Exactly. He is truly the belle of the ball. :lol:

Pugger
10-27-2012, 09:12 AM
I don't mind folks pointing out shortcomings but ignoring the positive is tiresome too.

mission
10-27-2012, 10:52 PM
I don't mind folks pointing out shortcomings but ignoring the positive is tiresome too.

That's a good way to put it

Fritz
10-28-2012, 11:12 AM
I did not like the title of the thread. It caused me unwanted flashes of MM adjusting his crotch or pulling his undies out of his butt.

But I did like, very much, StPaulPackfan's post. he's hit it, spot on. I've been thinking of writing an essay on this strange new fandom, that seems to be so angry, more than anything else. And if Pack fans are angry, what of Browns fans? Or Lions fans?

StPaulPackFan
10-28-2012, 04:03 PM
I did not like the title of the thread. It caused me unwanted flashes of MM adjusting his crotch or pulling his undies out of his butt.

But I did like, very much, StPaulPackfan's post. he's hit it, spot on. I've been thinking of writing an essay on this strange new fandom, that seems to be so angry, more than anything else. And if Pack fans are angry, what of Browns fans? Or Lions fans?

Thanks Fritz. Real life has a way of putting things into perspective. Being passionate is one thing, being angry and abusive is another. Since I live in the Twin Cities most of my friends are Viking's fans. Fortunately, and probably not by coincidence, they are all level headed and non-abusive. The Packers / Vikings rivalry is actually fun for both sides regardless of the outcomes.

I consider myself a passionate fan. Green and Gold today and other related talk radio helps pass the time at work. I enjoy reading Packerrats and other forums to find out information on the team. But I just choose not to spend any negative energy on something I have no control of. I also realize that professional athletes and coaches get paid as well as they do for a reason. Not just anyone off the streets can do what they do. Apparently that goes for refs too :-).

MJZiggy
10-28-2012, 04:40 PM

Well thanks very much for putting THAT picture in my head...