PDA

View Full Version : Packers v Jaguars Discussion

pbmax
10-23-2012, 05:25 PM
From Packers.com

The Green Bay Packers signed DT Jordan Miller to the practice squad and released G/T Chris Scott and DE Drew Vanderlinfrom the practice squad. The transactions were announced Tuesday by Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations.

Joemailman
10-23-2012, 06:14 PM
No betting line on the game. I suppose because of Gabbert.

Offensively Jags are a mess. Averaging 14 PPG, 144 yards passing per game (32nd overall). Were a bit better running the ball, but now MJD is out. Defensively, the give up 264 passing YPG (24th overall), but have only given up 7 TD passes. However, they have only 5 sacks, so Arod might have all day to throw. Jags are giving up 147 rushing YPG (29th overall) at a 4.4 clip. Have given up 8 rushing TD's.

Upset of the year if the Packers lose this one.

packrulz
10-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Looks like Chad Henne will be at QB. Ryan Grant got cut by the 'Skins: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/redskins-cut-ryan-grant-sign-171900433--nfl.html

Lurker64
10-23-2012, 06:53 PM
You probably couldn't have a better opponent for adjusting to a major loss on defense.

Jags are 32nd in terms of total offense, points per game, and third down efficiency. They're 30th in terms of red zone offense.

Guiness
10-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Looks like Chad Henne will be at QB. Ryan Grant got cut by the 'Skins: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/redskins-cut-ryan-grant-sign-171900433--nfl.html

Is that the end of the line for Grant? He got an audition, but couldn't hold down the job. Seems like he's done.

gbgary
10-23-2012, 07:31 PM
we'll win by 4 tds.

BobDobbs
10-23-2012, 09:56 PM
I just watched their three most recent games and they are a bad team. Gabbert's no good, but at least he can run a little bit and with that offensive line you need to run. They are really slow at WR and RB. MJD is much better than his backup, but they weren't blocking for that guy anyway.

They really only have one pass rusher and he's not elite or anything. So, they've had to blitz more and more, but they can't get home because they don't have anyone who can do that either. If I was them I'd rush four, drop the LBs into under zone and let them try to keep the gains to a minimum. They've actually got a couple of good tackling linebackers.

Plus it eats clock and keeps their offense off the field, which is good for everyone. Especially if Henne is playing. He managed to make Blaine Gabbert look good. That's not easy.

This team is slow, wants to establish the run, and blocks poorly especially up the middle. This game is tailor made for AJ Hawk. I never, ever thought I would type those words.

mission
10-23-2012, 10:40 PM
I think you take the Packers at anything -16.5 or less points. Seem like the line should be higher but they don't get away with that very often in the NFL. It might be so high that they don't want to give the points and just won't post it. Can't believe Vegas would value Gabbert at even a point on the line, don't think that has much to do with it but could be wrong.

This is a blowout with .01% upset potential... there's just nothing like a coach going into the hospital or whatever that points to a motivated team.

Lurker, all those shitty offense numbers and that's with MJD and Gabbert. Heard Henne looked horrible too. Can't imagine 32nd offense getting worse... I guess that Jennings something is their guy at RB?

packrulz
10-24-2012, 05:49 AM
Is that the end of the line for Grant? He got an audition, but couldn't hold down the job. Seems like he's done.
I could see bringing Grant back if it's cheap enough, he's healthy, and knows the scheme. Packers signed ex-Bear DT Jordan Miller: http://www.packersnews.com/article/20121023/PKR0101/121023057/Packers-make-more-practice-squad-moves?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s Cowboys are close to signing Peprah: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20657599/cowboys-close-to-signing-veteran-charlie-peprah

hoosier
10-24-2012, 08:20 AM
As bad as the Jaguars are at full strength, the loss of their starting QB and their only threat on offense has me thinking that they might just play over their heads on Sunday. If MJD and Gabby Gabbert were playing I have no doubt they would perform to their standard. But sometimes you put a no-name backup on the field and they make a game out of it, like Shaun Hill for Detroit in Lambeau a few years ago. And let's not forget that Green Bay has had more than its fair share of close calls against inferior opponents over the last year and a half. I'm predicting this one isn't the blowout everyone thinks it will be. GB 27, Jax 21.

Cheesehead Craig
10-24-2012, 09:54 AM
I hope the Pack don't come out and play down to their opponent this game. Just come out and get up early and knock them the fuck out by halftime.

mraynrand
10-24-2012, 10:29 AM
As bad as the Jaguars are at full strength, the loss of their starting QB and their only threat on offense has me thinking that they might just play over their heads on Sunday. If MJD and Gabby Gabbert were playing I have no doubt they would perform to their standard. But sometimes you put a no-name backup on the field and they make a game out of it, like Shaun Hill for Detroit in Lambeau a few years ago. And let's not forget that Green Bay has had more than its fair share of close calls against inferior opponents over the last year and a half. I'm predicting this one isn't the blowout everyone thinks it will be. GB 27, Jax 21.

Shaun Hill is a fine QB. In a lot of ways, he outperformed Stafford in 2010. He doesn't have the same physical skill set, but he's a meticulously disciplined QB, with an excellent understanding of the game. He could be a starter on a solid team. Jags backup Henne did beat the Packers in 2010, though, so he might be more of a challenge than Gabbert! Funny thing is Jags play better on the road than at home so far - like the Giants, except overall much more suckier. But it's hard to imagine the Packers screwing this one up. Three TD win.

Joemailman
10-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Shawn Hill also had Calvin Johnson to throw the ball to, and Jahvid Best to run the ball. The Lions that day did show perhaps the best way for an underdog to beat the Packers. Hold onto the ball. I was at the game, and the Packers went long stretches without possessing the ball. Hill had 54 pass attempts. Rodgers had 17.

rbaloha1
10-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Minus Jones-Drew may be also be contributing to the lack of a point spread.

Packers roll this week and next week.

hoosier
10-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Shaun Hill is a fine QB. In a lot of ways, he outperformed Stafford in 2010. He doesn't have the same physical skill set, but he's a meticulously disciplined QB, with an excellent understanding of the game. He could be a starter on a solid team. Jags backup Henne did beat the Packers in 2010, though, so he might be more of a challenge than Gabbert! Funny thing is Jags play better on the road than at home so far - like the Giants, except overall much more suckier. But it's hard to imagine the Packers screwing this one up. Three TD win.

So between the two of us the point spread is 14. Let's see who beats the spread.

Fritz
10-24-2012, 01:16 PM
You probably couldn't have a better opponent for adjusting to a major loss on defense.

Jags are 32nd in terms of total offense, points per game, and third down efficiency. They're 30th in terms of red zone offense.

Is BJ Raji not playing again?

No, seriously, though, is a coach more tempted to keep an injured guy out against an inferior team as opposed to putting him back in? That is, does MM rest Jennings, Raji, et al another week, hoping he can get by without them and give them an extra week of rest?

LegandofthePack15
10-24-2012, 01:19 PM

If the Packers underestimate the Jaguars, they will lose. Never underestimate the power of an underdog.

Fritz
10-24-2012, 01:35 PM
If the Packers underestimate the Jaguars, they will lose. Never underestimate the power of an underdog.

And never underestimate the power of Sweet Polly Purebred

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGS1pCfE8BciNrCzmc1EAfYQ7RN6EA1 KT3hK4ezbeYKxaSVAXYaw

Joemailman
10-24-2012, 01:38 PM

It is important that the Packers not underestimate an underdog opponent. We, on the other hand, have no such restrictions.

Packers 48
Jaguars 10

Joemailman
10-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Is BJ Raji not playing again?

No, seriously, though, is a coach more tempted to keep an injured guy out against an inferior team as opposed to putting him back in? That is, does MM rest Jennings, Raji, et al another week, hoping he can get by without them and give them an extra week of rest?

Raji did not practice today.

Freak Out
10-24-2012, 01:57 PM
And never underestimate the power of Sweet Polly Purebred

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGS1pCfE8BciNrCzmc1EAfYQ7RN6EA1 KT3hK4ezbeYKxaSVAXYaw

Wow....now this is a blast from the past.

Bossman641
10-24-2012, 02:32 PM
If we don't win by 20+ I will be disappointed

Pugger
10-24-2012, 03:09 PM

After the implosion in Indy I have a hard time believing this team will take ANYBODY lightly.

mission
10-24-2012, 08:11 PM
IF the Pack underestimates the Jags it will be a close game in the first half -- with a couple Packer turnovers -- before they get their head out of their ass at halftime and come out and do what they do. These guys aren't the Colts, they don't have Andrew Luck somehow avoiding Clay Matthews tugging on him before hitting Reggie Freakin Wayne on Steroids. Just too much talent on our side of the ball and none on theirs.

smuggler
10-25-2012, 10:36 AM
TBH, their defense isn't bad. It's just that the offense is so horrible that the defense gets exposed by fatigue pretty frequently.

rbaloha1
10-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Blow out. Finally a line -- 15.5 plus. No moneyline for the Packers.

Fritz
10-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Would it be tempting to build a really conservative game plan just so your team can get some "practice" running the ball against an inferior opponent? I suppose that's just tempting the gods, but wouldn't it be nice to have a game in which your team can work on its weaknesses and still win pretty handily?

I think, despite the fact this is a passing league, that the Packers are going to need to run the ball better to get into the playoffs and do some damage there. They need to figure out what works best for Alex Green, Green needs the reps, and the offensive line, too, needs to learn to run block better. Would it be tempting to try to accomplish some of that in a game, where the learning would be quicker and more "real" than practice?

gbgary
10-25-2012, 06:27 PM
"WE CAN'T PLAY DOWN TO JACKSONVILLE'S LEVEL. WE'VE GOT TO PLAY PACKERS FOOTBALL AND BLOW THAT SCOREBOARD UP!" - Jermichael Finley

lol...gotta love him.

mission
10-25-2012, 06:31 PM
"WE CAN'T PLAY DOWN TO JACKSONVILLE'S LEVEL. WE'VE GOT TO PLAY PACKERS FOOTBALL AND BLOW THAT SCOREBOARD UP!" - Jermichael Finley

lol...gotta love him.

Yeah, good stuff. You know... bulletin board material and all that, but I'm not as down on him as most. He is what he is. Top 10 TE in the league IMO. Brings energy, seems to really care. Just not very bright.

gbgary
10-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Yeah, good stuff. You know... bulletin board material and all that, but I'm not as down on him as most. He is what he is. Top 10 TE in the league IMO. Brings energy, seems to really care. Just not very bright.

i've always had his back! had to laugh when i heard that quote on the sportsradio1250 milwaukee tune-in stream.

Pugger
10-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Would it be tempting to build a really conservative game plan just so your team can get some "practice" running the ball against an inferior opponent? I suppose that's just tempting the gods, but wouldn't it be nice to have a game in which your team can work on its weaknesses and still win pretty handily?

I think, despite the fact this is a passing league, that the Packers are going to need to run the ball better to get into the playoffs and do some damage there. They need to figure out what works best for Alex Green, Green needs the reps, and the offensive line, too, needs to learn to run block better. Would it be tempting to try to accomplish some of that in a game, where the learning would be quicker and more "real" than practice?

If we only have 4 healthy WRs in this game we just might have to depend upon a running game.

Patler
10-26-2012, 09:39 AM
If Driver's career really wasn't finished last year, and if Finley really is the TE he seems to think he is, now will be the week for both to show it.
If they don't, well, ..........

pbmax
10-28-2012, 09:10 AM
McGinn's Sunday Molotov cocktail puts Saturday in the crosshairs for reach blocking failures:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-saturday-earns-mixed-reviews-as-replacement-for-wells-0t7bleh-176128211.html

Tanier's Sunday previews always good for a chuckle and some nuggets.
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/40049968/

Also everyone should PM Mad about the GameDay thread.

pbmax
10-28-2012, 09:11 AM
That pesky, try hard Jaguars D line that can pass rush? They have 5 sacks. I frightened of this team just because I cannot fathom how they have stayed close on the road.

pbmax
10-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Nelson is inactive. Raji is playing. Let's hope he and Pick split NT duties. No Shields means House is going to see the field.

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky
Here's the #Packers full inactive list: DB Charles Woodson, FB John Kuhn, CB Sam Shields, LB Nick Perry, WR Greg Jennings, WR Jordy Nelson

HarveyWallbangers
10-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky
Here's the #Packers full inactive list: DB Charles Woodson, FB John Kuhn, CB Sam Shields, LB Nick Perry, WR Greg Jennings, WR Jordy Nelson

Quite the list. Normally, this list is filled with bottom feeders from the roster. Today, everyone on the list is a starter.

Fritz
10-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Quite the list. Normally, this list is filled with bottom feeders from the roster. Today, everyone on the list is a starter.

How true that is. This means Van Roten is active. And all the tight ends.

In McGinn's article on Saturday, he tried to throw the guy under the bus, but he couldn't reach!