PDA

View Full Version : Ruvell Martin

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-21-2006, 09:48 AM
He hasn't had as many reps as others
By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 20, 2006
Green Bay - There is a saying among the Green Bay Packers' receivers this training camp: Don't leave any food on the table.

Veteran Donald Driver hasn't left a crumb and neither has rookie Greg Jennings, but Ruvell Martin can't say the same.

After standing out in the off-season minicamps with acrobatic catches, often times the favorite target of backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers, Martin dropped a few in the early stages of training camp.

Neither Martin nor the other receivers can afford to let any ball glance off their fingertips with a struggling offensive line, some questions at running back and a quarterback coming off a 29-interception season.

Martin is also a practice-squad player who hasn't seen as many repetitions playing behind the other receivers on the team.

"He's not getting as many balls thrown to him, but he went through a period where he had a couple drops," said Reggie McKenzie, the Packers' director of pro personnel. "I don't think his confidence is slacking off but he knows he's going to have to continue to step up to make this team."

Martin is tempting to the Packers, who signed him to the practice squad last year after he was drafted and then released by San Diego in 2004.

At 6 feet 4 inches, he is a big moving target for quarterbacks, and he has the ability to go for the 50-50 jump balls the way he grabbed one from Rodgers in practice last week for a short touchdown.

"They call that a 50-50 ball; I call it an 80-20 ball," Martin said. "I think I should get it the majority of time, especially with my size. And it's either me or nobody; it should never get intercepted.

"I know the coaches look for big plays but they're looking for somebody who is going to make the big play, set that aside, and then go make another play. I don't really pay that much attention to making one big play because it doesn't really matter if I go out there and screw up the next big play."

It'd be hard for the Packers to pass on someone with Martin's height because it's hard for safeties and the typically smaller cornerbacks to defend such height.

"It gives you more options," Rodgers said. "With his big frame and long arms, he's able to go get balls that might be poorly thrown or high. Plus, he's not slow. He's tall, he's athletic, he's quick off the ball, and he's got long arms, so he's got a big window."

In a recent practice, Martin also caught a 55-yard touchdown from rookie quarterback Ingle Martin. But he has also dropped the vapor-trail shots from Brett Favre.

"I think my hands are one of my strong points even though I have had my share of drops in training camp," Ruvell Martin said. "You've just got to overcome it. If you drop it, you've got to forget about it. I'll talk to Donald Driver about it, and he'll say, 'Hey, I've dropped balls before, too.' That's the biggest thing. The coaches understand you're going to drop it, but are you going to go in the tank after you drop it?"

The first year undrafted free agent out of Saginaw Valley State will have to leapfrog a few notable names to remain a Packer. The Packers might keep as many as six receivers but after sure locks Driver and Jennings, other top receivers include Robert Ferguson; Rod Gardner, a former No. 1 draft pick; Cory Rodgers, a rookie who was drafted in the fourth round; and free agent Marc Boerigter, a veteran.

Martin has had just one reception in two exhibition games, but in team sessions, he has 28 catches, more than any other wide receiver. Aaron Rodgers is convinced that Martin is a pro receiver who, if not in Green Bay, will play somewhere in the NFL this year.

"I'm a big believer in him as a receiver," Rodgers said. "I'd like to see Ruvell make the team; I think he's talented enough. But that's not my decision."

Please make the team and cut Mr. Fumble.

I want our recievers to be:

DD
GJ
Ferg
Rod G.
Ruvell Martin

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 03:39 PM
That's the way I see it to this point in time.

Those WR's. :mrgreen:

GO PACK GO. FAITH IN THE BEST ROSTER !!