PDA

View Full Version : Turnover on the practice squad

Patler
10-24-2012, 05:27 PM
In the last two weeks the following have left the PS:

Van Roten was signed to the active roster
Lawrence Guy was signed by the Colts,
Chris Scott was released
Drew Vanderlin was released (only around a couple days)
Diondre Borel - placed on practice squad IR.

Lots of new blood in town, with the signings of
Jeremy Ross
Jordan Miller
Justin Cheadle
DuJuan Harris.

George Cumby
10-24-2012, 05:31 PM
turnover at the bottom of the roster. I guess the coaches didn't like what they saw with the exception of Borel?

Patler
10-24-2012, 06:32 PM
turnover at the bottom of the roster. I guess the coaches didn't like what they saw with the exception of Borel?

Was there perhaps a little bit of truth to Rodgers' statement a couple weeks ago, that the scout team wasn't taking it seriously enough?

George Cumby
10-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Hadn't thought about that. I like it as a theory, though.

pbmax
10-24-2012, 07:17 PM
I don't know about that. Van Roten still on team and was eighth O lineman anyway. He was promoted to fill a need with a spot opened by injury. One of the two released was with the team for a very short time. One injury. The other departure was a player whom the Packers wanted to keep (Guy).

Unless Chris Scott was some kind of troublemaker.

mission
10-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Do you think the Vanderlin 2-day deal was more of the Packers just throwing the hometown boy a bone? Let him say he was a Green Bay Packer. Obviously you can't just be ANYBODY, but he's a ballplayer and just doesn't have the tools to ever be on an NFL field. Nice gesture if so.

As far as the new guys, haven't heard of a one. You guys know anything?

Patler
10-24-2012, 08:15 PM
...or, you can say:

They made no offer to keep Guy, per Guy's agent; while having a track record of doing that with players they liked.
They had no need to sign Van Roten, no more so than earlier in the year, so maybe it was a reward for being the one player who has stood out.
Vanderlin was a local kid, and they dumped him without giving him much of a chance.
Scott had been with them since the start of the year and was shown the door in the major housecleaning.
Even reporters are a bit confused about Borel, who had no reported injury. Maybe they think there is hope for him, but they need to change the chemistry.

Yup, a housecleaning it was! :lol: :lol:

Patler
10-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Unless Chris Scott was some kind of troublemaker.

As I mentioned when he was signed, I know someone who worked with Chris Scott on the Steelers. Said he was a great kid.

pbmax
10-24-2012, 09:28 PM
...or, you can say:

They made no offer to keep Guy, per Guy's agent; while having a track record of doing that with players they liked.
They had no need to sign Van Roten, no more so than earlier in the year, so maybe it was a reward for being the one player who has stood out.
Vanderlin was a local kid, and they dumped him without giving him much of a chance.
Scott had been with them since the start of the year and was shown the door in the major housecleaning.
Even reporters are a bit confused about Borel, who had no reported injury. Maybe they think there is hope for him, but they need to change the chemistry.

Yup, a housecleaning it was! :lol: :lol:

Didn't know they did not make an offer to Guy. That would seem to set a limit on what they saw as his upside.

wootah
10-25-2012, 02:45 AM
Was there perhaps a little bit of truth to Rodgers' statement a couple weeks ago, that the scout team wasn't taking it seriously enough?

I thought Rodgers specifically denied making such claims about the scout team afterwards. I believe it was in the same interview where he also called Shannon Sharpe's comments stupid & uninformed.

KYPack
10-25-2012, 09:36 AM
I really always wondered what they saw in Guy. He never impressed me in Pre season games. A strong kid, but a tad slow with poor instincts is what I saw.

Indy, right?

Well, maybe they saw another Muir in him

pbmax
10-25-2012, 10:55 AM
I thought Rodgers specifically denied making such claims about the scout team afterwards. I believe it was in the same interview where he also called Shannon Sharpe's comments stupid & uninformed.

He said the team needed to practice at a better tempo and did specifically mention, as an example, the scout team giving looks to the starters. He was not blaming them directly for the poor performance (at least not explicitly). His comments were an extension of M3 who said the team had had poor practices this season. This was his example of what was suffering.

This week he said they had fantastic practices leading up to the Texans and Rams games.

Fritz
10-25-2012, 11:59 AM
It's definitely more fun and interesting to think they cleaned off the PS because they were a bunch of slackers. Now we can conclude that the team's practices and thus game performances will do nothing but get better!

rbaloha1
10-25-2012, 12:03 PM
My guess there was a correlation with Rodger's comments.

AR is intense and a perfectionist. Good attributes to keep the team/org. at a championship level.

Fritz
10-25-2012, 12:09 PM
I really always wondered what they saw in Guy. He never impressed me in Pre season games. A strong kid, but a tad slow with poor instincts is what I saw.

Indy, right?

Well, maybe they saw another Muir in him

Thanks, KY. I feel better about losing Guy now. I thought mebbe he was gonna be good.