PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Opportunity to Resign Greg Jennings

The Shadow
10-25-2012, 07:58 PM
I think Ted should make a major push to resign Greg Jennings. Many say that the Packers are just fine with the current receiving corps, but I believe that the team should never allow a player of Jennings ability to slip away unless no other options remain.
With the injury - and his 'lost season' - his market value has undoubtedly slipped, and he might well be open to a fair, Packer-friendly, contract.

Brando19
10-25-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm on board with this...as long as it's VERY Packer friendly.

Upnorth
10-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Excellent idea shadow

Fritz
10-26-2012, 05:29 AM
Maybe the Packers should invest in the surgeon who does Jennings's surgery, and ask the Doc to make it so Jennings can't return until the very end of the season. Then pay a kid to throw a newspaper at Jennings' head so he has to be held out some more.

By golly, we can drive his price down to minimum wage if we do this right!

Patler
10-26-2012, 07:15 AM
It would be wonderful to keep the receiving group together, but absent a bunch of injuries, which I know can happen, the fourth and fifth receivers do not contribute enough to justify big salaries. The Packers got away with it last year and this year in resigning Jones, but looking to the future they have less flexibility, Jennings will cost a lot, regardless. Of course, they could always resign Jennings and look to move Jones one way or another. Unless Jennings can be signed for numbers like Nelson's current contract, right now I think it is money that has to go elsewhere. Time to find another young and cheap talent in the draft next year, while relying on Nelson, Cobb and Jones, who are fairly inexpensive in 2013.

Besides, Jennings continuous string of injuries has me concerned. Sometimes, the smaller receivers just don't hold up as long. He could be in and out of the lineup the rest of his career,

Smidgeon
10-26-2012, 10:13 AM
It would be wonderful to keep the receiving group together, but absent a bunch of injuries, which I know can happen, the fourth and fifth receivers do not contribute enough to justify big salaries. The Packers got away with it last year and this year in resigning Jones, but looking to the future they have less flexibility, Jennings will cost a lot, regardless. Of course, they could always resign Jennings and look to move Jones one way or another. Unless Jennings can be signed for numbers like Nelson's current contract, right now I think it is money that has to go elsewhere. Time to find another young and cheap talent in the draft next year, while relying on Nelson, Cobb and Jones, who are fairly inexpensive in 2013.

Besides, Jennings continuous string of injuries has me concerned. Sometimes, the smaller receivers just don't hold up as long. He could be in and out of the lineup the rest of his career,

That's what I was going to say too.

sharpe1027
10-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Sometimes, the smaller receivers just don't hold up as long. He could be in and out of the lineup the rest of his career,

Yes, and sometimes, the larger receivers just don't hold up as long either. ;)

Seriously though, I agree that Jennings is going to be a losing proposition on the cost-benefit analysis. He will get paid what he is worth and probably even a bit more. If everything goes perfectly, he will be worth his contract, no more. If he has any further setbacks, however...

Patler
10-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Yes, and sometimes, the larger receivers just don't hold up as long either. ;)

Sure, but not nearly as often, it seems. Months ago, I went through a rather long lost of the "really good" small guys I could think of, and except for a very few, most faded very quickly at 29-31. Not all, for sure, but it seemed that far more of the "really good" bigger receivers I could think of carried it on into their mid 30's, or had less significant fall offs. If I'm looking at needing a bunch of money to sign only one of Jennings and Nelson to a contract taking them to 34 or 35 years old, I think I would spend it on Nelson before Jennings, not based on current performance but based on future value.

sharpe1027
10-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Sure, but not nearly as often, it seems. Months ago, I went through a rather long lost of the "really good" small guys I could think of, and except for a very few, most faded very quickly at 29-31. Not all, for sure, but it seemed that far more of the "really good" bigger receivers I could think of carried it on into their mid 30's, or had less significant fall offs. If I'm looking at needing a bunch of money to sign only one of Jennings and Nelson to a contract taking them to 34 or 35 years old, I think I would spend it on Nelson before Jennings, not based on current performance but based on future value.

Haha, I was mostly poking fun at the careful qualification in your statement. I don't disagree with the overall premise (I don't have any actual data, but it makes sense logically). Carry on.

LegandofthePack15
10-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Wtf is a "packer-friendly" contract?

mission
10-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Wtf is a "packer-friendly" contract?

Under market value.

King Friday
10-26-2012, 07:42 PM
With all the injuries he's had, I'm guessing Jennings might go for the biggest deal he can get. This is his last chance at a good contract, so he might be not be willing to offer much of a "hometown" discount where we get him below market value.

I like Jennings a lot. He's a very good WR. However, I think he's entering the downside of his career. Very few WRs in the NFL are highly productive for more than 5 seasons. A guy like Driver is NOT the norm in the NFL. Jennings has had 4 seasons now of high productivity (70+ catches, 1000+ yards) and will turn 30 years of age at the start of next season. Personally, I would be EXTREMELY WARY of giving the guy #1 starter money...which means more than $6M per season. He has proven to be a guy who gets dinged up even during his younger years in the league, which likely doesn't bode well for his prospects after the age of 30.

Thompson kept Driver around because it was going to be a one year thing that was relatively cheap for the team. I'm not sure he'll take the same chance on Jennings if he has to pay over $6M per season to keep him. Jones is starting to look like a guy who can be a decent option as a top 3 WR, and Nelson is obviously a solid starter. Cobb by next season should also be capable as an impact starter. Letting Jennings go also allows you to easily retain Finley, who is younger and will also carry a cheaper market price with his struggles. Those 4 receivers plus anyone else who is developing will be PLENTY of ammo for Rodgers, especially if Thompson lands an impact RB at some point. It also gives you a far greater chance of keeping Rodgers, Clay, Raji, Tramon, and whoever else will be up for a new deal in the next 2-3 years.

In terms of the long term success of the roster, I think it is better for the team to let Jennings go if his price exceeds $6M per season for 3-4 years...and I'm guessing some deep pocket owner would be very willing to throw that kind of cash at Jennings.

mission
10-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Now more than ever I don't expect Jennings to resign with the Packers. Can't blame him for getting a last contract, but it just doesn't make sense for the Good Guys.

Pugger
10-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Are we suggesting Jennings is now becoming injury prone?

MadtownPacker
10-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Wtf is a "packer-friendly" contract?Next time capitalize "Packer" asshole.

See, that's a "Packer-friendly" post! :lol:

MadtownPacker
10-27-2012, 12:23 PM
I think Jennings body is suggesting it for us.

rbaloha1
10-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Under market value.

Jordy Nelson style.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-27-2012, 04:20 PM
If Nelson doesn't play this week they should let Driver get some of the plays out of the back field that Cobb gets. He's slowed down, but he is still hard to tackle.

Joemailman
10-27-2012, 05:22 PM

Considering he hasn't finished a game since December 4 of last year, the possibility can not be ruled out that we might theoretically be suggesting that.

The Shadow
10-29-2012, 12:09 PM
I think yesterday's game may underscore the need for Jennings & Nelson to be on the field. Cobb, Jones, Driver - and Boykin! - are just not the same.

denverYooper
10-29-2012, 02:56 PM
I think yesterday's game may underscore the need for Jennings & Nelson to be on the field. Cobb, Jones, Driver - and Boykin! - are just not the same.

They had just seemed to adjust to life without Greg when Jordy went down. I suspect they would adjust again if they lost both for the season but it would be rough.

TravisWilliams23
10-29-2012, 05:27 PM
I think Rodgers has more trust with Jennings or Nelson to use the back shoulder throw. That throw is almost unstoppable if done correctly. Jones doesn't quite have Aaron's total confidence to run the correct route. They really need Finley to be the receiver he was in 08 to really open up the passing game but that may never happen again. DJ Williams and Crabtree had the dropsies in Sunday's game so just what the hell is wrong with these tight ends?

What I thought would be a solid part of the offense is letting the team down in too many games. Too bad the NFL outlawed stickum!