PDA

View Full Version : I missed the Game, did the Canadian Punter do well?

Jan Ulrich
08-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Any stats would be helpful.

TY!

Jan Ulrich
08-21-2006, 10:51 AM
I meant I missed the Atlanta game. I saw our new punter from the CFL kick against the Chargers and he boomed a couple long ones. But since I missed the Atlanta game, I was wondering if anyone cared to comment on his performance.

TY

chewy-bacca
08-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Green Bay Punting

TOT YDS AVG TB -20 LG

B. Sander 2 93 46.5 1 0 61

J. Ryan 1 42 42.0 0 0 42

Team 3 135 45.0 1 0 61

Astonishment
08-21-2006, 11:00 AM
he only had 1 punt. It was out of his own endzone, and he drop a good snap. He was able to recover and he got off a 42 yard line drive punt that was returned 7 yards...

...and that is his complete game action against the Falcons. Over all the Packers only punted 3 times (Sanders had the other two with a gross of 46.5, and a net of 36.5 - but he had a awsome 62 yarder that bounced at the two and into the endzone which hurt his net).

chewy-bacca
08-21-2006, 11:02 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=260819009

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 11:23 AM
This was posted last week I believe, but in any case I'll post it (here) again. Sorry, if that decision bothers anyone. :mrgreen:

Hoping to get a leg up on punting job
Sander fights to show he is ready for a shot

By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Aug. 18, 2006

Green Bay - B.J. Sander has developed pretty thick skin after two years in Green Bay, which might help him withstand the latest challenge before him.

After being drafted in the third round in 2004, losing his job in training camp that year, getting sent off to NFL Europe and weathering a miserable 2005 season, now the 26-year-old is in a heated battle to retain his job as the Packers' punter.

His competition is an inexperienced punter out of the Canadian Football League, Jon Ryan, who was the better of the two a week ago in the first exhibition game in San Diego.

Special teams coordinator Mike Stock has said this kicking battle could come down to the bitter end, but was convinced this summer that someone would distinguish himself and emerge.

But when asked if either Sander or Ryan had established a lead, if ever so slight, in the punting battle, general manager Ted Thompson, not surprisingly, wouldn't show his hand.

"I don't know . . ." Thompson said. "Well, I guess I know. . . . I'm just not going to say. We're still in competition. The race isn't over until it's over. It's (as) Yogi Berra (always said)."

Sander gets another chance tonight in the second exhibition game against Atlanta at Lambeau Field to show that he's not only more consistent than he was a year ago but that he's also more than mediocre.

This kind of continuing turmoil - being drafted so high, being benched as a rookie - could pick apart anyone's confidence, and maybe Sander is putting up an Oscar-worthy performance. But as usual, he doesn't act insecure, doesn't snap at critical questions about his performance and generally goes about his job as a pro.

We don't know much about Sander publicly after two years here, but we do know that he came to terms a long time ago with the scrutiny and extreme expectations bestowed upon him for being chosen, by former coach and GM Mike Sherman, so unusually high in the draft.

So three weeks into his third National Football League season, once again, Sander finds himself defending his punts, defining his duties and deflecting the critics as he fights for his job.

"At this point, from what I have been told, it's an open competition," Sander said matter-of-factly. "I can't concern myself with what (Ryan's) doing. As long as I go out there and do what I am capable of doing, I'll let the guys upstairs make the decision. As long as I'm happy here with the way things are going, if I'm not punting here, I'll be somewhere."

Last season, Sander's first on the active roster, and his statistics reflected his play: overall not so hot. His 39.2-yard gross average per punt was 30th in the NFL. Seventeen other punters averaged at least 43 yards. But that statistic isn't always fair to Packers punters who kick through three seasons: summer, fall and "March of the Penguins" kind of cold.

The statistics support that. In the first eight games of the year, Sander averaged 42.3 gross yards, 38.9 net and 4.26 seconds in hang time; in his final six - all outdoor games - before he injured his kicking knee, those numbers dropped to 36.3, 29.3 and 3.97.

So weather can kill an average. But there was no excusing the shanked punts other than that he was young, and this training camp, that's where he has improved the most.

"Yes," director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie said. "I think in his consistency. He had a lot more shanks this time last year. This year we're getting more consistency from him."

Sander's other strength is, and always has been, high hang times. With 64 punts last season, his average hang time was 4.11 seconds, the best in Green Bay in four seasons.

At San Diego, Sander averaged 4.04; Ryan averaged 3.80 in Canada. A better hang time allows Sander's teammates to get down the field and defend the returner.

"You're giving your guys a chance to get down there and make him fair-catch the ball, and if he muffs it, give us a chance to recover it," Sander said.

That, in turn, leads to a better net average, the most important statistic in punting. Sander achieved a 33.9 net average last season, again not impressive. However, last year the frequently injured Packers were shuffling out new faces on special teams almost every week.

This year, Sander thinks it's fair to be measured by the net.

"As far as I am concerned, the gross average, yeah, (big numbers), that's great," he said. "But the net really reflects how you're doing. That's the big thing for me."

Although Sander might be leading Ryan in consistency and hang time, Ryan has shown a bigger leg. But Sander does not think that adding distance to his punts would help the special teams coverage unit. In fact, that might be what got him in trouble last year. He tried to blast the ball and that's when he'd get a lot of shanks.

"You can add distance by hitting more of a line drive, as opposed to more hang time," Sander said. "I'd rather have the ball hang up in the air 40 to 45 yards, with a 4.5, make that guy make a decision: 'All right, am I going to catch this and get blown up or am I going to fair catch it?' "

Sander thinks he has punted well in training camp and that his progress wasn't reflected last week at San Diego (three punts, 36.7 gross, 33.7 net).

"I'm very happy with how camp has gone so far," Sander said. "I would have liked to have punted a little bit better in the game, but I was working specifically on going right that game. I just wanted to work on that in a game situation. I've struggled with going right in practice so I wanted to work on it in a game.

"I've worked on it again this week in practice and I am a lot more comfortable with it. Overall, I was happy with the way things went, but the result wasn't what I wanted it to be."

From the Aug. 19, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

FROM ONE CANADIAN to another:

Give errr HELL Jon Ryan !

ALL of Football Canada is pulling for you and your Family (Packer Fans). Pulling for you Jon, to win the right to be a Green Bay Packer, and bring all you are - to OUR NFL Team.

Fight HARD young Man !!!

It's your job - to only loose.

YOU will be "the Packer's punter" and YOU will do - Packer fans proud.

GO PACKERS ! SUCCESS in 2006 !!

CaliforniaCheez
08-21-2006, 11:29 AM
The simple answer is not just no.

It was the worst he has looked to date. He narrowly avoided disaster.

red
08-21-2006, 11:33 AM
he did drop a perfect snap, but he did pick it right back up and make a nice play to avoid getting hit for a saftey, and still got off a pretty good punt

it was a pretty good punt considering what went on, he could have paniced and shanked it

Tony Oday
08-21-2006, 11:50 AM
red I agree as a rookie NFL player to drop a snap and have the mind to get back into it pick up the ball and get a decent 42 yard kick off is not something to take lightly.

I mean 42 yards isnt that what sander usually punts ;)

Jan Ulrich
08-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys/gals!

It seems BJ is tepping it up. Still, I can't avoid looking at how he has punted in the past. I was not a fan!

I still have hope for this new Canadian punter.

He could be the next Ray Guy, I hope.

TY

Cheesehead Craig
08-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Wait, was that 42 yds US or Canadian?

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 12:07 PM
red I agree as a rookie NFL player to drop a snap and have the mind to get back into it pick up the ball and get a decent 42 yard kick off is not something to take lightly.

Jon Ryan is a solid athlete and he'll get there. That's who he is.

To cut him and choose BJ Sander with the Off season that Jon Ryan has demonstrated and with his upside, would be a foolish blunder for us.

Jon Ryan despite some of your doubts is OUR punter to begin the season against "the Bears" . Try to have faith in Jon Ryan Packer fans. Try to get used to "just that" and pull for this young man.

Upside and his desire and his atleticism. He'll do us proud. :mrgreen:

NOT since Hentrich.

PACKER FAN FAITH FOR OUR FUTURE !!

Scott Campbell
08-21-2006, 12:23 PM
If he's that great, he won't have any problem beating out BJ. If he barely squeaks by BJ, then we very well could still have punting issues.

If BJ wins the spot, then God help us all.

mraynrand
08-21-2006, 12:27 PM
To cut him and choose BJ Sander with the Off season that Jon Ryan has demonstrated and with his upside, would be a foolish blunder for us.

Jon Ryan despite some of your doubts is OUR punter to begin the season against "the Bears" . Try to have faith in Jon Ryan Packer fans. Try to get used to "just that" and pull for this young man.

Upside and his desire and his atleticism.

Woodbuck, I disagree. I know a lot of people don't like Sander, but I think he's the bigger stronger guy and actually may have a bigger leg. And how do you know he has more desire than Sander? I think Sander will make the cut, but there are a number of factors, including holding for the placekicker - which Ryan seems better at doing. In any case, I like the strategy of having an extra guy in camp for good competition.

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2006, 12:35 PM

Well, it wasn't that good--42 yards with just 2.7 seconds of hangtime (which is really poor). I have a bad feeling that if Ryan doesn't show more consistency we are going to have to sit through another year of Sander.

FritzDontBlitz
08-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Green Bay Punting

TOT YDS AVG TB -20 LG

B. Sander 2 93 46.5 1 0 61

J. Ryan 1 42 42.0 0 0 42

Team 3 135 45.0 1 0 61

according to those stats sander's second kick was only 32 yards?

prsnfoto
08-21-2006, 01:10 PM
[quote=Tony Oday]I mean 42 yards isnt that what sander usually punts ;)

Well, it wasn't that good--42 yards with just 2.7 seconds of hangtime (which is really poor). I have a bad feeling that if Ryan doesn't show more consistency we are going to have to sit through another year of Sander.[

The drop gave him awesome hang time about 5 seconds thats why the return was short. i'm just giving you shit harvey. If Sanders makes this roster I will have no problem with brett throwing a few 60 yard Ints Sanders just plain Sucks worst we have had since the 80's

Scott Campbell
08-21-2006, 01:19 PM
BJ has worked on his cold weather punting this summer.

http://www.townofbrookfield.com/images/Erin.jpg

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 01:40 PM

Woodbuck, I disagree. I know a lot of people don't like Sander, but I think he's the bigger stronger guy and actually may have a bigger leg. And how do you know he has more desire than Sander? I think Sander will make the cut, but there are a number of factors, including holding for the placekicker - which Ryan seems better at doing. In any case, I like the strategy of having an extra guy in camp for good competition.

Jon Ryan should be OUR punter Vs. the Bears. He has more upside.

In fact I believe, the reverse may be more true mraynrand. Sander pushing Ryan and Ryan will answer that challenge. This is a solid man with a great leg and atitude and a fine athlete.

If Ryan isn't Ted's punter? He should cut him now !! Alot at stake for this young man and he has "in fact" shown alot that wins him a punting job in Green Bay.

After Sanders numbers last season how could you support BJ Sander mraynrand?

He was dreadful. Maybe it was the heat but always "the HEAT" ? BJ Sander was at the bottom of the NFL punters, and Jon Ryan comes to us young and very talented, BIG upside. Day to day he's out performed BJ Sander.

Sander had a breakthrough game. I'll admit Saturday he stepped up, so do you cut Jon Ryan based on that? If your in Ted Thompson's shoes, maybe you should do it today so Ryan can prove his skill elsewhere mraynrand.

The fight will continue on the weekend mraynrand !!

He's certainly not in Green Bay, to just push BJ Sander. He's in Green Bay to be a Green Bay Packer.Trust that - mraynrand. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD FAITH FOR SUCCESS IN 2006.

JON RYAN = THAT !

FritzDontBlitz
08-21-2006, 01:42 PM
well put, woody

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 01:51 PM
well put, woody

I am a Canadian and some may feel, I'm exercising prejudice, but no.

I truly believe in Jon Ryan. I'm a Canadian,yes.

I'm a Packer fan here. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD FOR SUCCESS in 2006 !! KARMA !!!

Fritz
08-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Well, I see the Pack just cut BJ Sander, eh?

Looks like Jonny boy is going to get his chance this week. If he blows it, they'll probably bring back Louie Aguiar or somebody equally compelling. Hope your Canadian boy shines.

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Well, I see the Pack just cut BJ Sander, eh?

Looks like Jonny boy is going to get his chance this week. If he blows it, they'll probably bring back Louie Aguiar or somebody equally compelling. Hope your Canadian boy shines.

He'll be OK, Fritz !

GO PACK GO !

Scott Campbell
08-21-2006, 02:49 PM
He better be better than ok Woody. We gave up on the Beej for him.

:shock:

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 02:54 PM
He better be better than ok Woody. We gave up on the Beej for him.

:shock:

I'm being Canadian,Scott. :mrgreen:

GO PACK GO !!

mraynrand
08-21-2006, 03:07 PM

Jon Ryan should be OUR punter Vs. the Bears. He has more upside.

In fact I believe, the reverse may be more true mraynrand. Sander pushing Ryan and Ryan will answer that challenge. This is a solid man with a great leg and atitude and a fine athlete.

I could be wrong....LOL

Actually, I'm not all that impressed with Ryan, but Sander was pretty nervous holding last year and according to Longwell, Sander was responsible for any mistakes (before Sander was injured at least).

If nothing else, I should have guessed that Ryan would be kept, IF FOR NO OTHER REASON, the fact that TT has been getting rid of Shermy guys as fast as he possibly can.

Scott Campbell
08-21-2006, 03:10 PM
If nothing else, I should have guessed that Ryan would be kept, IF FOR NO OTHER REASON, the fact that TT has been getting rid of Shermy guys as fast as he possibly can.

Which Shermy guy should TT have kept????

Ted is getting rid of guys who suck. They happened to be drafted by Sherman. Don't try slapping him with some bogus anti-Shermy hidden agenda.

Jan Ulrich
08-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Looks like my thread was pretty timely. I do not have inside info.....or do I? mwah, mwah, mwahhhhhhh :twisted:

KYPack
08-21-2006, 03:28 PM
I saw this thread earlier & was gonna post that i thought Sanders would give Ryan a run for his money, based on his limited pro experience.

But I didn't.

I sound smarter when I don't talk.

mraynrand
08-21-2006, 04:41 PM

Which Shermy guy should TT have kept????

Ted is getting rid of guys who suck. They happened to be drafted by Sherman. Don't try slapping him with some bogus anti-Shermy hidden agenda.

Don't try slapping me with some bogus ideas of your anti-shermy hidden agenda. Of course he's dumping them because they suck. And I'm guessing since most of them DO suck, when he has two guys who are close, he's going to go with his guy. This isn't an anti-Sherman agenda, it's an anti-suck agenda, pro-guys TT selected agenda and guys TT thinks are better agenda. Should TT do anything else? And certainly you wouldn't deny that this has been the trend - for TT to get rid of Sherman's picks - would you?

Creepy
08-21-2006, 06:39 PM
It hasn't been close, Ryan has repeatedly out punted both yards and net. Even the drop was 42 yards with a 5 yard return giveing him a 37 net. Ryan nailed 2 for 46+ avg but only a 36+ Net. I like hang time as long as the net is good. It hasn't been, Ryan may not getthe hang time but theyards are making for a higher net.

The right choice was to cut Sanders, if any good he may get chance with another team. Giving the kicker two full gaems is confidence building. They can now concentrate on kicking only and not feel any miss kick in TC is a career buster. They still haev to prove it duringthe game, but I feel with this show of confidence it will get better.

Alos there was a chance of over kciking by Raymer & Ryan. When you rbattling in TC you kick more than you should and can start tiring a leg out. This way they have fresh legs and less chance of injury.

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Updated: Aug. 21, 2006,

Packers punt '04 third-round bust, release Sander

Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. --

The Green Bay Packers released punter B.J. Sander on Monday, bringing to an end a career that came to symbolize the disappointment associated with former coach Mike Sherman's brief stint as the team's general manager.

Sander won the Ray Guy award as the nation's top collegiate punter at Ohio State, but has failed to live up to high expectations since Sherman and the Packers traded up to take him in the third round of the 2004 NFL draft.

Green Bay signed Canadian Football League standout Jon Ryan in the offseason to compete with Sander in training camp. Sander's release makes Ryan, who has shown good leg strength in training camp, the favorite to win the punting job.

In a news release, the team noted that Ryan should expect to take all the snaps at punter in the final two weeks of the preseason, but said,

"the move, however, doesn't guarantee Ryan the regular-season job. He continues to compete against all other punters in NFL camps who could be released by their respective teams and potentially signed by the Packers' pro personnel department."

The Packers also released linebacker Kevin Schimmelmann, a free agent rookie signed out of Stanford in May.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 08:13 PM
MONDAY, Aug. 21, 2006, 2:43 p.m.
By Tom Silverstein

Packers give punter B.J. Sander the boot

For the second time in less than a week, the Green Bay Packers went for the stronger leg in their kicking game, this time releasing third-year punter B.J. Sander.

The move comes as somewhat of a surprise given that Sander had been at least as good in practice as his challenger, ex-Canadian Football League standout Jon Ryan.

But Sander's strength is kicking the ball high with less distance than Ryan and even on his best day he could not match Ryan's distance.

Last week, the Packers cut kicker Billy Cundiff because they favored the stronger leg of Dave Rayner and wanted Rayner to handle the duties alone to see if he was ready. Presumably, the Packers are doing the same thing with Ryan.

Sander, whom former Packers coach and general manager Mike Sherman traded up to get in the third round of the 2004 draft, was coming off a lousy year in which he averaged 39.2 yards overall and 33.9 net, both marks that ranked near the bottom among NFL punters.

During training camp, Sander hadn't hit as many shanks or low balls as Ryan, but he only occassionally kicked the ball more than 40 yards.

Ryan has been wildly inconsistent and against Atlanta on Saturday dropped a perfect snap from center Rob Davis while punting from his own end zone. He managed to pick the ball, avoid a defender and get off a low 42-yard punt that was returned 7 yards.

For the game, Sander punted twice for an average of 46.5 yards with a 36.5 net. Ryan had only the one punt.

In the exhibition opener, Ryan punted four times for a 46.3 average with a 41 net and Sander punted three times for a 36.7 average with a 33.7 net.

GO PACK GO !!

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 08:16 PM
JSOnline

Online Poll

Question:

Do you think the Packers made the right decision in cutting punter B.J. Sander?

Yes (89.3%)

No (10.7%)

Total votes: 2,744

Monday 8:15 PM Central Time.

digitaldean
08-21-2006, 08:33 PM
I think Woodbuck hasn't been this happy since the Canadian hockey team beat the US for the gold medal at Salt Lake.

:mrgreen:

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 09:13 PM
I think Woodbuck hasn't been this happy since the Canadian hockey team beat the US for the gold medal at Salt Lake.

:mrgreen:

It's not over till it's over. :mrgreen:

Jon Ryan has work to do.

I am glad that finally BJ Sander was cut, so maybe he can move on (to another career) but Ryan will have to get better, and I believe he has it to do that. He's always worked very hard and excelled through that. This is a very nice young man by all reports and a hell of a work ethic. He's also a very good athlete , and he'll demonstratee that this season - if he's OUR punter.

Ted Thompson took a step today that he should have taken, IMO - month's ago. I am a tad surprised that anyone is surprised with this move, Maybe it could have gone another week, but the writing was clearly on the wall, long before anyone here heard of Jon Ryan. Canadian record holder punter from the lowly CFL. :mrgreen:

Where is motifw? I recall way back in Feb. one Sat. he and I breaking the possible signing of Jon Ryan.He came to Green Bay for a tryout.Rumor was that Ted offered him a mere 10 G's? He went I believe to Cinncinatti and was it Ney York or Washington for tryouts and back to green bay and was subsequently signed relatively cheaply compared to what Green Bay was paying (will pay) BJ Sander.

In fact. I am cautiously optimistic that Jon Ryan will punt for us in 2006.

If he's not OUR man. TT has to find another that is. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! FAITH IN OUR 53 MAN ROSTER for 2006 !!

PACKERS ! FAITH FANS in 2006 !![/b]