PDA

View Full Version : these london games...

gbgary
10-27-2012, 10:43 AM
i hate that fact that this continues to be pushed by the nfl. that the thought of a team actually being based there is still bandied about. totally ruins a teams weekly routine and the jet lag has to be dealt with. i don't think there's a fan base to keep a team viable so it's bound to fail. to me it's a total waste of time. i hope the Packers never consider one of the games.

George Cumby
10-27-2012, 10:53 AM
"Live, from London, your Green Bay Packers visiting the London Jaguars!"

mmmdk
10-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Go shoot some deer!

red
10-27-2012, 12:09 PM
i really don't get why the nfl has such a fetish for sending a team overseas

london already has like 8 major football teams that play on the same weekends during the fall , winter and spring. why would the britts pay more money to go watch something they really don't care for the day after they spent a bunch of money to watch the teams they actually care about. and god help them if teams like aresenal, chelsea, or tottenham play each other on a sunday. the nfl game will be empty

this will fail like NFL europe

MadtownPacker
10-27-2012, 12:19 PM
I have to believe the NFL knows it wont work so they forced this one game every season just to claim an international "presence".

red
10-27-2012, 12:24 PM
LOL, i just looked at the schedule

the london game will kick off 1 hour after Chelsea kicks off against Man U just a few miles south of wembley stadium

talk about stupid timing

MadtownPacker
10-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Almost as lame as you knowing all about Euro sports. Catching some cricket matches too Jeeves??

MadScientist
10-27-2012, 12:33 PM
The NFL is doing it's part to show Europe that a game can actually be entertaining and have scoring.

Guiness
10-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Considering the NFL has such a short schedule, I do find it incredible that teams would agree to go play over there during the regular season. They lose >10% of their home games! The cities that host them have, for the most part, coughed up A LOT of tax dollars and/or concessions to get or keep their NFL teams - usually using the line about how much it improves the local economy. Less home games certainly means less impact!

I saw something about St-Louis' stadium agreement with the Rams actually stating that they'd play 8 regular season home games, and that could be an impediment to them playing in London. Anyone else see that and know what happened?

red
10-27-2012, 12:46 PM
The NFL is doing it's part to show Europe that a game can actually be entertaining and have scoring.

did you know that there is only about 11 minutes of actual action during an nfl football game?

the WSJ did a study a few years back on it and found that the ball was only in play about 11 minutes during those 3 hour games

Guiness
10-27-2012, 01:05 PM
did you know that there is only about 11 minutes of actual action during an nfl football game?

the WSJ did a study a few years back on it and found that the ball was only in play about 11 minutes during those 3 hour games

Is that more or less than the amount of time a ball is in play for a 3 hour MLB game?

gbgary
10-27-2012, 01:20 PM
LOL, i just looked at the schedule

the london game will kick off 1 hour after Chelsea kicks off against Man U just a few miles south of wembley stadium

talk about stupid timing

i'll being watching that match. United haven't won there in ten years (6 losses and 4 draws). massive game. they need a win to keep pace with chelsea who are in first at the moment four points up.

channtheman
10-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Roger Goodell is bad for the NFL.

mraynrand
10-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Once they develop the dropship that can traverse half the planet in 2 hours, you will see a 64 team, international league. But until then, this is simply a distraction, and London bores me to tears. Except, of course, for Austin Powers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKCZrcoQa7I

red
10-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Is that more or less than the amount of time a ball is in play for a 3 hour MLB game?

great question

i'm guessing theres about 2 minutes of action in a baseball game. unless spitting and dick scratching = action

mmmdk
10-27-2012, 06:39 PM

Great, finally, you're killing off baseball!?

Lastly, are there enough hunting cabins around for you guys to escape from the world?

Ever so lastly, is Jacsonville what you call a city? Really?? That's scary, why pick on Cleveland when you've seen Jacksonville! And do people actually freely choose to live there or are they wearing orange?

mmmdk
10-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Actually, when y'all have run for the hills [think 'deliverance'] then Lambeau Field could definitely be moved to, say, France, where cheese is way better and they have actual cheese shops! [B]Paris Packers, sounds right doesn't it - I mean, I've been to Green Bay and where the f@ck are the cheese shops?

Ok, my fun's over! But I seriously get images from 'Deliverance' when I read some of the above.

Pugger
10-28-2012, 08:12 AM
I too wish the NFL would drop this entire notion of having a team over there and/or playing regular season games over there. A city like GB would lose a hell of lot of revenue if we lost a home game. Seeing every other team besides ours can't get half their stadiums full for preseason games why not have those games be played over there if they are so hell bent on having this 'presence' in Europe?

Joemailman
10-28-2012, 08:37 AM
I too wish the NFL would drop this entire notion of having a team over there and/or playing regular season games over there. A city like GB would lose a hell of lot of revenue if we lost a home game. Seeing every other team besides ours can't get half their stadiums full for preseason games why not have those games be played over there if they are so hell bent on having this 'presence' in Europe?

The Packers have requested in the past that they not lose a home game to go over there because of the impact a lost home game would have on the Green Bay economy. So far, so good.

pbmax
10-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Like the Patriots, if the Packers played over there, it would be a road game.

Joemailman
10-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Like the Patriots, if the Packers played over there, it would be a road game.

Do Brits still hold a grudge? Would New England Patriots be welcome in London?

MJZiggy
10-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Do Brits still hold a grudge? Would New England Patriots be welcome in London?

Since we bailed their asses out in WWII, I'd say yes.

mmmdk
10-28-2012, 03:51 PM

No doubt & thanks a zillion. Yet MJZiggy, you get to say 'bailed our asses out in WWII' but there's a shitload of people across the herring pond that do not deserve to carry that flag of honor.

pbmax
10-28-2012, 04:35 PM

Those are fighting words in London Zig. Prepare for British History, 1939 to 1941.