PDA

View Full Version : Steven Jackson On Trade Block

LegandofthePack15
10-28-2012, 03:55 PM
With Benson on the IR and the running game going nowhere, the Packers should definitely trade for Jackson. While he's no longer an all-pro runner, Jackson could and would revive the Pack's run game.

But we all know Steven Jackson in Green and Gold ain't gonna happen . Thompson loves draft picks more than a capitalist loves greed, err, profit. :sad:

jklowan
10-28-2012, 04:20 PM
With Benson on the IR and the running game going nowhere, the Packers should definitely trade for Jackson. While he's no longer an all-pro runner, Jackson could and would revive the Pack's run game.

But we all know Steven Jackson in Green and Gold ain't gonna happen . Thompson loves draft picks more than a capitalist loves greed, err, profit. :sad:

Why would we trade for a declining running back at 9 mill a season and wants another pay day? We need the cash to resign our own and this line can't block for sh*t anyways

pbmax
10-28-2012, 04:34 PM
No.

HarveyWallbangers
10-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Absolutely no.

digitaldean
10-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Mort And Schefter said that three teams were actively making offers to STL for Jackson. The 3 were AZ, Pitt, and GREEN BAY. GB was e most active. The Packers were deemed the leading contender if STL follows thru with in trading him.

denverYooper
10-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Only if they can manage to swing a package deal that involves Joe Thomas.

ThunderDan
10-28-2012, 05:27 PM
What is his remaining contract and what do they want for him?

Joemailman
10-28-2012, 05:31 PM
What is his remaining contract and what do they want for him?

7 million dollar base the year. Next year, 7 million dollar base with 1.9 mil signing bonus.

Don't know what they're asking.

pbmax
10-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Mort And Schefter said that three teams were actively making offers to STL for Jackson. The 3 were AZ, Pitt, and GREEN BAY. GB was e most active. The Packers were deemed the leading contender if STL follows thru with in trading him.

Really? I did not hear or see that someone reported active discussions.

Did they have sources outside of Jackson's agent? Because this seems far away from the normal business mode.

ND72
10-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Nfl network said they are requesting no less than a 2nd round pick, and they specifically said "but for a team like green bay they'd want a number 1."

LegandofthePack15
10-28-2012, 07:21 PM
7 million dollar base the year. Next year, 7 million dollar base with 1.9 mil signing bonus.

Don't know what they're asking.

According to Mike Sando, the NFC West blogger, "Any team acquiring Jackson would most likely absorb more than $3 million in remaining salary for the 2012 season." Plus, Jackson and the Rams "agreed to let Jackson opt out of his contract following the 2012 season."

3 million bucks to rent a pretty good rb for the rest of the season is pretty good value for a SB contender, especially one that can't seem to run the damn ball. The Packers have plenty of cap room.

As much as I would love to see Jackson play for the Pack, the odds are, it won't happen. 3 reasons:

1. Thompson hates giving up draft picks, plain and simple.
2. Thompson hates giving up draft picks for a player who would likely only play under a 1 year contract (see Randy Moss).
3. Never count Thompson to get anything done when it comes to in-season trades (See Marshawn Lynch and Tony Gonzalez).

Tony Oday
10-28-2012, 07:47 PM
According to Mike Sando, the NFC West blogger, "Any team acquiring Jackson would most likely absorb more than $3 million in remaining salary for the 2012 season." Plus, Jackson and the Rams "agreed to let Jackson opt out of his contract following the 2012 season."

3 million bucks to rent a pretty good rb for the rest of the season is pretty good value for a SB contender, especially one that can't seem to run the damn ball. The Packers have plenty of cap room.

As much as I would love to see Jackson play for the Pack, the odds are, it won't happen. 3 reasons:

2. Thompson hates giving up draft picks for a player who would likely only play under a 1 year contract (see Randy Moss).
3. Never count Thompson to get anything done when it comes to in-season trades (See Marshawn Lynch and Tony Gonzalez).

Well we DID trade for Gonzalez but the KC GM said after we agreed to a 2nd round pick wanted more. This would be a fantastic back for this offense.

Smeefers
10-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Dude! Guys! I was at the stadium club and I went out to have a cig and you wouldn't believe it! Pigs were flying around the Lambeau field! It was awesome. Steven Jackson was there and everything.

pittstang5
10-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Nope, won't happen - a 2nd rounder - no way. TT would never give up that high of a pic. 4th rounder - I might think about it, but I think TT wouldn't even do it. Maybe a player and a low draft pick, but I can't even see that with the injuries right now.

But the Packers have to do something about their run game, whether it's changing the plays, or what I'd suggest, is getting Starks more carries. Rogers can't do it all and they need something to fall back on if the passing game has another day like today (drops, Rogers off his game, etc.). This o-line can't be that bad, especially behind Bulaga and Sitton - come to think of it, did they even try to run to the right today. I remember most of the runs to the left. Anyway, there was no run game today - none, what so ever. Green isn't the answer.

Also, maybe it's time to start EDS over Saturday if he's the reason they can't run up the middle.

LegandofthePack15
10-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Well we DID trade for Gonzalez but the KC GM said after we agreed to a 2nd round pick wanted more. This would be a fantastic back for this offense.

I think Thompson was willing to give up a 3rd but KC upped it to a 2 at the last second. I could be wrong but I don't think KC was asking for a 1st. Would trade a 2nd for Gonzalez back then in a heartbeat.

LegandofthePack15
10-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Nope, won't happen - a 2nd rounder - no way. TT would never give up that high of a pic. 4th rounder - I might think about it, but I think TT wouldn't even do it. Maybe a player and a low draft pick, but I can't even see that with the injuries right now.

But the Packers have to do something about their run game, whether it's changing the plays, or what I'd suggest, is getting Starks more carries. Rogers can't do it all and they need something to fall back on if the passing game has another day like today (drops, Rogers off his game, etc.). This o-line can't be that bad, especially behind Bulaga and Sitton - come to think of it, did they even try to run to the right today. I remember most of the runs to the left. Anyway, there was no run game today - none, what so ever. Green isn't the answer.

Also, maybe it's time to start EDS over Saturday if he's the reason they can't run up the middle.

Good post.

Tony Oday
10-28-2012, 08:11 PM
I think Thompson was willing to give up a 3rd but KC upped it to a 2 at the last second. I could be wrong but I don't think KC was asking for a 1st. Would trade a 2nd for Gonzalez back then in a heartbeat.

Yup thats it, 4 other teams offered the 3rd rounder as well I guess.

digitaldean
10-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Here's the link for anyone interested...http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8564149&categoryid=2378529

rbaloha1
10-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Yes -- but only for a second.

TT does part with draft picks -- how many times as he moved up (i.e. Matthews, Nelson, Burnett, Worthy, etc.). Missed out on Lynch which was a mistake.

Acquire Jackson and cut Benson.

Lurker64
10-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Yes -- but only for a second.

TT does part with draft picks -- how many times as he moved up (i.e. Matthews, Nelson, Burnett, Worthy, etc.). Missed out on Lynch which was a mistake.

Acquire Jackson and cut Benson.

TT did win the super bowl the year he "missed out" on Lynch unless you mean 2007 (which is the year TT "missed out" on Adrian Peterson as well.). So it can't be that big of a mistake.

Also, you can't cut Benson, he's on IR. It's against the rules to cut an injured player and you'd gain no benefit to cutting Benson since you've already guaranteed his entire salary (he was on the roster week 1) and he's on a one year vet minimum contract. Cuting Benson is both impossible and nonsensical.

Pugger
10-28-2012, 10:26 PM
We don't need another elderly RB on our roster.

ThunderDan
10-28-2012, 10:35 PM

Can't give up a 2nd rounder or a 1st rounder from the Pack (As someone else's post stated) for an 8 game rental. Too expensive. I could see a 4th at the highest for 8 games.

1. TT has shown recently to part with draft picks to move up in the draft. In the early years he didn't because we had no depth.
2. Can you blame any GM for giving up picks for a 1 year contract when you might pick up a Tauscher in round 7 or a Donald Driver?
3. So TT doesn't pull the trigger on a trade and we win the Super Bowl and you still bitch about it?

pbmax
10-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Nfl network said they are requesting no less than a 2nd round pick, and they specifically said "but for a team like green bay they'd want a number 1."

That means the sources for this story are the Rams and the agent. I don't believe it yet. After Benson, I can't rule it out, but I am not convinced.

pbmax
10-28-2012, 10:41 PM

Forget for the moment the trade ups he has done, something he supposedly "hates" to do, think about Lynch, Gonzalez and Moss.

In each case, the man you claim HATES to give up pucks for rental players AGREED to give up picks for rental players. When the teams came back and asked for more, he declined. So to be accurate, you would need to say Thompson likely will not change his offer beyond what he calculates is in his best interest.

Guiness
10-28-2012, 10:41 PM
A second is pretty steep for a rent a player. See the other thread detailing what we've drafted in the 2nd! Not to mention, getting him would be a catch-22 - don't want to give up a pick for a 1yr player, and don't want to keep him beyond this year at $9million/year, we don't have room for that.

What's with St-L wanting a second from other teams, but a 1st from the Pack? I guess they know we're going to the SB, and the pick will basically be in the next round!

Pugger
10-28-2012, 10:53 PM
I can't see any team giving the Rams a 2nd for Jackson.

Freak Out
10-29-2012, 12:44 AM
It would be nice to have Jackson...but not for a pick that high....no fucking way at his age.

Lurker64
10-29-2012, 01:48 AM
It would be nice to have Jackson...but not for a pick that high....no fucking way at his age.

Especially it's a rent-a-player, since he's a free agent after this year.

Bossman641
10-29-2012, 06:51 AM
A second for Jackson? I hope TT slammed the phone down.

Patler
10-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Not only would it be for just 8 games, he probably would be of only minimal help next week. Benson can come back in 4 games after that, assuming he is healed. How high of a draft pick, and how much cap space should be invested for that level of need? If it makes the difference between winning the SB and not winning it, for the fans it is worth a lot. Of course, we will never know if it made the difference or not if they win the SB, and if they don't get him and don't win the SB, we won't know if he would have made the difference or not.

Guiness
10-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Not only would it be for just 8 games, he probably would be of only minimal help next week. Benson can come back in 4 games after that, assuming he is healed. How high of a draft pick, and how much cap space should be invested for that level of need? If it makes the difference between winning the SB and not winning it, for the fans it is worth a lot. Of course, we will never know if it made the difference or not if they win the SB, and if they don't get him and don't win the SB, we won't know if he would have made the difference or not.

Do we have any news about how Benson is coming along? I doubt it, of course. The same as Jackson not being much help his first week, you have to wonder how effective Benson will be when he first returns.

Here's the extend of what I could find about it, at WSJ

Benson said his progress has been good.

Benson has been in a holding pattern because he is unable to put any weight on the injured foot. He said he expects to get out of his walking boot by next week, and his progress has been on, if not a little ahead, of schedule.

Patler
10-29-2012, 07:59 AM
Do we have any news about how Benson is coming along? I doubt it, of course. The same as Jackson not being much help his first week, you have to wonder how effective Benson will be when he first returns.

Benson can practice 2 weeks before coming back, so that will help. His issue will be endurance. Jackson's issue will be knowing the offense.

LEWCWA
10-29-2012, 12:11 PM
If I were looking to stock the running back cupboard, I would be talking to Denver about Knowshon Moreno. This guy has alot of talent and I think fits into GB's offense very well. He has been snakebit a little and seems to be the odd man out in Denver.....

pbmax
10-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Here is the smoke, no fire. Apparently Ted Thompson has coveted Jackson in the past. They have no idea if he does now, but in the past, whoo-boy, has he coveted him some Jackson. Significant packages were offered in Mort's mind, but the Rams resisted because their hearts are pure.

This story is mule fritters warming over a tropical depression. Its the Rams trying to drum up interest.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8564087/steven-jackson-st-louis-rams-rb-drawing-trade-interest-sources

Freak Out
10-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Here is the smoke, no fire. Apparently Ted Thompson has coveted Jackson in the past. They have no idea if he does now, but in the past, whoo-boy, has he coveted him some Jackson. Significant packages were offered in Mort's mind, but the Rams resisted because their hearts are pure.

This story is mule fritters warming over a tropical depression. Its the Rams trying to drum up interest.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8564087/steven-jackson-st-louis-rams-rb-drawing-trade-interest-sources

LOL. That's some Great Dolomite stuff there.

Teamcheez1
10-29-2012, 05:02 PM
LOL. That's some Great Dolomite stuff there.

And now Sporting News is reporting that ESPN is reporting that the Packers are interested in Jackson. I would say much ado about nothing.

Rutnstrut
10-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Most of you saying no to this are the same ones that always say GB doesn't need a good running game. Also the same ones that declared Marshawn Lynch was washed up, looks like your wrong on both. Please TT pull the trigger on this, this team NEEDS this. The GB offense looks mediocre at best right now, and it's NOT because Jennings is injured.

Bossman641
10-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Most of you saying no to this are the same ones that always say GB doesn't need a good running game. Also the same ones that declared Marshawn Lynch was washed up, looks like your wrong on both. Please TT pull the trigger on this, this team NEEDS this. The GB offense looks mediocre at best right now, and it's NOT because Jennings is injured.

At what draft pick?

Patler
10-29-2012, 07:29 PM

Pull the trigger on what? What's the deal that would be acceptable? If he really would cost 3.5 to 4.0 million, they seem to have the cap space (but it would use up about all they have). But what do they give up for him? A 2nd? A 1st?

Rutnstrut
10-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Pull the trigger on what? What's the deal that would be acceptable? If he really would cost 3.5 to 4.0 million, they seem to have the cap space (but it would use up about all they have). But what do they give up for him? A 2nd? A 1st?

Definitely worth a second imo. Better yet try and throw Finley in just to get rid of the bum.

OS PA
10-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Cedric Benson is OLDER than Steven Jackson by 9 months.
Cedric Benson has 600 LESS touches than Steven Jackson.
Cedric Benson has missed 22 games in 8 seasons.
Steven Jackson has missed 13 games in 9 seasons.
Cedric Benson has a career average of 3.8 yards.
Steven Jackson has a career average of 4.2 yards.
Cedric Benson has fumbled while running 20 times in 96 games.
Steven Jackson has fumbled while running 18 times in 123 games. (Jackson does have 5 receiving fumbles, though earlier in his career.)
Steven Jackson has TRIPLE the receiving yards that Cedric Benson does.
Steven Jackson has 67 career touchdowns to Cedric Benson's 33 career touchdowns. More than double the production.

I think we were all super excited to finally have a real running-back, but Ced Benson isn't really the elite back we all think he is. He's certainly good, but not great. I'm not saying that Steven Jackson is great, but I like him more than Ced Benson. He's pretty much the same back as Ced Benson at this stage in his career, but one thing he is right now that Ced Benson isn't is healthy.

mission
10-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Strange. I was thinking a 5th or a 6th... what do I know?

Lurker64
10-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Definitely worth a second imo. Better yet try and throw Finley in just to get rid of the bum.

You'd give up a second round pick for an aging running back with a ton of carries who's a free agent after this season?

Please become the GM of an NFL team that's not the Packers...

If TT spent a second round pick on a player who missed the first 8 games, played great for the next 8, and then never played for the Packers again... we'd say that's a bad pick.

BobDobbs
10-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Green Bay Packers 2nd round picks under Ted Thompson
2012 Jerel Worthy, Casey Hayward
2011 Randall Cobb
2010 Mike Neal
2009 Traded to NE along with two thirds for Clay Matthews and Jamon Meredith
2008 Jordy Nelson, Brian Brohm, Pat Lee
2007 Brandon Jackson
2006 Daryn College, Greg Jennings
2005 Nick Collins, Terrence Murphy

So, we're looking at our top three receivers, a Safety who will go to the Packers Hall of Fame, three below average guys that started for us and are now with other teams, a below average defensive lineman, Thompson's worst pick, an unfortunate injury, and the two rookies this year. Hayward is definitely a pro and Worthy is at least active. 2009 is tough to judge, but I think that it is safe to say that if we didn't have the value of a 2nd round pick to move up we wouldn't have Clay Matthews on the team.

That's a lot of value from the second round. Tons of games started, a bunch of pro bowlers, and probably an NFL Hall of Famer. Let's keep that pick. Lynch was a better deal, because he was under contract for the next year. Seattle gave up what became a 4 and 5 for him. I would love to have Stephen Jackson on the team but not for anything higher than a fourth round pick.

Patler
10-30-2012, 03:47 AM

A second for 8 games from him? He will be a free agent at the end of the year. That's not much of a return on a second round draft pick. There is no guarantee that Jackson will make the difference between winning the SB and not winning it. They won a SB with Starks, and they should have Benson back later this year. They could get Jackson, then have Rodgers go down for multiple games.

I think there is a reasonable value for the opportunity of adding Jackson to the mix the remainder of the year, but I don't think it is as high as a 2nd round draft pick. Not when he will be a free agent for 2013. I don't think it is as high as a 3rd. A 4th, maybe, but even that seems kind of high.

Fritz
10-30-2012, 05:58 AM
I finally figured it out: RutnStrut is Matt Millen.

If Marshawn Lynch wasn't worth a third round pick, then Steven Jackson sure ain't worth a second.

I would prefer that the Packers trade for a new left side of the offensive line.

Bossman641
10-30-2012, 06:44 AM
Cedric Benson is OLDER than Steven Jackson by 9 months.
Cedric Benson has 600 LESS touches than Steven Jackson.
Cedric Benson has missed 22 games in 8 seasons.
Steven Jackson has missed 13 games in 9 seasons.
Cedric Benson has a career average of 3.8 yards.
Steven Jackson has a career average of 4.2 yards.
Cedric Benson has fumbled while running 20 times in 96 games.
Steven Jackson has fumbled while running 18 times in 123 games. (Jackson does have 5 receiving fumbles, though earlier in his career.)
Steven Jackson has TRIPLE the receiving yards that Cedric Benson does.
Steven Jackson has 67 career touchdowns to Cedric Benson's 33 career touchdowns. More than double the production.

I think we were all super excited to finally have a real running-back, but Ced Benson isn't really the elite back we all think he is. He's certainly good, but not great. I'm not saying that Steven Jackson is great, but I like him more than Ced Benson. He's pretty much the same back as Ced Benson at this stage in his career, but one thing he is right now that Ced Benson isn't is healthy.

At least to me, there is no question that Jackson is a better back. But 600 additional touches is huge in running back years.

pbmax
10-30-2012, 07:49 AM
That cap space Jackson would eat, will also likely be used to lock someone up long term and conserve money for the big three; Rodgers, Matthews and Raji.

Though at this point, I am not happy about paying Raji a boatload of money for his production.

Patler
10-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Jackson's age and history of use are most irrelevant, because they would not be trading with the intention of using him beyond this year. All that matters is his current performance ability, and what that is worth to the Packers for the next 8 games + any playoffs. It really doesn't matter how "used up" he is except as to how that impacts his performance this season.

Patler
10-30-2012, 08:01 AM
That cap space Jackson would eat, will also likely be used to lock someone up long term and conserve money for the big three; Rodgers, Matthews and Raji.

Though at this point, I am not happy about paying Raji a boatload of money for his production.

I wish I knew what their cap space really is. Several articles during the first week of the season put them at around $6.5 million. Since then they had signed Van Roten and White to what I assume are minimum contracts, and extended Goode with 1/4 of his signing bonus counted this year. Those three deals should have used up just under a million, or so. Yet, an article this morning suggested they had just over $7 million in cap space to absorb Jackson's contract.

Their cap space might actually have grown some. Benson was said to have a two-tier contract, with significant reduction while on IR. In his original contract, Woodson had a weekly bonus for being active. If that carries through to this year, they could gain from it every week he isn't active. I don't know if Bishop has anything like that in his new contract, but the Packers have used it a lot, even with rookies, so they could be getting something back from the Sherrod deal as well.

Guiness
10-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Green Bay Packers 2nd round picks under Ted Thompson
2012 Jerel Worthy, Casey Hayward
2011 Randall Cobb
2010 Mike Neal
2009 Traded to NE along with two thirds for Clay Matthews and Jamon Meredith
2008 Jordy Nelson, Brian Brohm, Pat Lee
2007 Brandon Jackson
2006 Daryn College, Greg Jennings
2005 Nick Collins, Terrence Murphy

So, we're looking at our top three receivers, a Safety who will go to the Packers Hall of Fame, three below average guys that started for us and are now with other teams, a below average defensive lineman, Thompson's worst pick, an unfortunate injury, and the two rookies this year. Hayward is definitely a pro and Worthy is at least active. 2009 is tough to judge, but I think that it is safe to say that if we didn't have the value of a 2nd round pick to move up we wouldn't have Clay Matthews on the team.

That's a lot of value from the second round. Tons of games started, a bunch of pro bowlers, and probably an NFL Hall of Famer. Let's keep that pick. Lynch was a better deal, because he was under contract for the next year. Seattle gave up what became a 4 and 5 for him. I would love to have Stephen Jackson on the team but not for anything higher than a fourth round pick.

I hear ya, but we'd be getting a known quantity, not a lottery ticket. You're getting a proven guy who's playing great NOW, not potential down the road. And this team can win now.

The magic question is, does he improve our chances at the SB this year, is there the chance he'd put us over the top? It's a pretty complex thing to guess. Does the look of our offense change, and is that something the Packers want? They don't bring him to town just so they can have a guy to occasionally run between the tackles. Remember what our offense looked like the years Ahman Greene was in our backfield?

It does seem like the Pack needs someone else back there, that Greene might not develop fast enough and Starks can't seem to find his groove. But you'd think there's a 2nd string RB on a non playoff team that fills the need without going for an elite guy that breaks the bank and mortgages our future. Spiller and Jackson are sharing time in Buffalo. D. Williams isn't getting many carries behind Stewart. Further down the scale, Peyton Hillis isn't very useful with J. Charles in KC.

run pMc
10-30-2012, 04:16 PM
If TT spent a second round pick on a player who missed the first 8 games, played great for the next 8, and then never played for the Packers again... we'd say that's a bad pick.

This.

I'd be ok with trading a R6 for Jackson. Maybe. Yes, he's good, but he's an 8 game rental with a lot of miles. The GB offense goes through Rodgers, not the run game. They need just enough to keep defenses honest.
What GB needs is for Bulaga(knee) and Lang(elbow) to get healthy and a better C than Saturday. I'd rather TT keep the R2 pick and spend it on the OL (or a RB).

The JAX game was an ugly win, but considering they were missing the #1WR, #2WR, #1 RB, #1FB and Finley is hurt it's hard to expect a blowout. Roll Starks into the gameplan a bit more and get healthy over the bye.

sharpe1027
10-30-2012, 04:31 PM
If you can convince me that Jackson all but guarantees a SuperBowl win, I'd say he's worth it. Nobody's going to be able to do that, so I'd rather keep doing what's best for the Packers both now and in the future. I'm not willing to slightly increase the chance of a SuperBowl win this year at the expense of slightly decreasing the chance of SuperBowl wins for the next several years (both in lost draft pick and cap space). I think a second is too high for 8 games and his cap number. I no problem with the Packer's taking a pass at that price. Lower it to a 4th rounder and I'd be very intrigued.

rbaloha1
10-30-2012, 05:48 PM
SJ could have a similar impact like Keith Jackson and Andre Rison.

TT make the deal. Dumping Finley may not be a bad idea.

King Friday
10-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Jackson's best days are past. I'd rather have Thompson actually try to DRAFT a RB with some talent for a change.

pbmax
10-30-2012, 10:17 PM
SJ could have a similar impact like Keith Jackson and Andre Rison.

TT make the deal. Dumping Finley may not be a bad idea.

I take a backseat to no one in my joy about Andre Rison being on the Packers Super Bowl squad. It led to the best Holmgren story ever, about Reggie White asking Holmgren to let Rison speak to the team before a playoff game. I am sure it was a speech about fire safety, stop, drop and roll, that kind of thing. And homeowners insurance.

But he was an NFL caliber body on a roster without an NFL caliber WR outside of Freeman, who was coming off an injury himself. He was a mess, ran the wrong routes and paid dividends only when Favre gave him a secret signal that meant "if you are single-covered, go deep". At that offense's best, he was the fifth option behind Free, Keith Jackson, Chmura and both RBs and the FB. Make that the sixth option (Bennett and Levens were not usually on the field at the same time that year).

Now could Jackson be more Jackson than Rison? Maybe. But the cost is likely to be too high even if you discount the rumors as being the Rams leaking their opening bid.

Guiness
10-31-2012, 01:48 PM
When is the trade deadline now? It was supposed to be Tuesday, but pushed back because of the storm, right?

pbmax
10-31-2012, 02:24 PM
When is the trade deadline now? It was supposed to be Tuesday, but pushed back because of the storm, right?

Thursday. Speaking of which, Jeff Fisher said Stephen Jackson was NOT on the trading block. It was almost unequivocal, which means, they are probably trying to trade him.

Lurker64
10-31-2012, 02:24 PM

The deadline is this afternoon at 4 PM (I think Eastern, maybe Central).

Lurker64
10-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Thursday. Speaking of which, Jeff Fisher said Stephen Jackson was NOT on the trading block. It was almost unequivocal, which means, they are probably trying to trade him.

I interpreted his statements as "we're trying to trade him, but gosh darn everybody is lowballing us."

QBME
10-31-2012, 02:32 PM
The deadline is this afternoon at 4 PM (I think Eastern, maybe Central).

I believe it actually got pushed two days, so tomorrow not today.

Lurker64
10-31-2012, 03:09 PM
I believe it actually got pushed two days, so tomorrow not today.

For some reason I thought today was Thursday.

rbaloha1
10-31-2012, 09:55 PM
I take a backseat to no one in my joy about Andre Rison being on the Packers Super Bowl squad. It led to the best Holmgren story ever, about Reggie White asking Holmgren to let Rison speak to the team before a playoff game. I am sure it was a speech about fire safety, stop, drop and roll, that kind of thing. And homeowners insurance.

But he was an NFL caliber body on a roster without an NFL caliber WR outside of Freeman, who was coming off an injury himself. He was a mess, ran the wrong routes and paid dividends only when Favre gave him a secret signal that meant "if you are single-covered, go deep". At that offense's best, he was the fifth option behind Free, Keith Jackson, Chmura and both RBs and the FB. Make that the sixth option (Bennett and Levens were not usually on the field at the same time that year).

Now could Jackson be more Jackson than Rison? Maybe. But the cost is likely to be too high even if you discount the rumors as being the Rams leaking their opening bid.

Good stuff. IMO with the deadline approaching maybe TT can package Finley and a pick for Jackson and a pick.

Jackson will be good in December.

LegandofthePack15
11-01-2012, 06:39 AM
Good stuff. IMO with the deadline approaching maybe TT can package Finley and a pick for Jackson and a pick.

Jackson will be good in December.

Still have faith in J-Mike, so I wouldn't want him traded.

Chris Johnson is also rumored to be on the trade block. If Johnson is willing to restructure his contract, Thompson should consider trading for him. The guy's stats aren't what they once were but Tennessee has no passing game. Imagine Johnson playing along side Rodgers. The offense would be more potent than Dirk Diggler's "masterpiece."

Jackson or Johnson, Thompson has got to trade for a credible runningback. This is NOT 2010 anymore. Teams have figured out how to contain the Pack's passing game: keep 2 safeties deep, rush only 4, and DARE the Packers to run. Hell, Jacksonville has an average defense that was missing something like half of their starters and they still limited Rodgers to under 200 passing yards.

The Packers really do need a good RB to make hay. But I'm betting that the trade deadline will pass and nothing will change. Ted Thompson is GM after all.

Tony Oday
11-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Finley sucks. Both number 1 wideouts were hurt. We do need a decent RB but Johnson is not it. He would cost a kings ransom.

Iron Mike
11-01-2012, 07:28 AM
If we're gonna trade for a RB, how about DeAngelo Williams???

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000088443/article/panthers-deangelo-williams-ignoring-trade-rumors

denverYooper
11-01-2012, 07:40 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

3irty1
11-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Player for player trades are pretty much a fan-dream. Even if it wasn't seems pretty stupid to sell Finley at what's probably the lowest value he's ever had.

Jackson is worth no more than a 5th round pick to any team not in St. Louis.

pbmax
11-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Schefter, who was the Mortenson's confirmation, has now decided that Jackson will not be traded even though the Rams have fielded tons of calls about his availability. I hope the Rams GM leaves him a nice tip.

rbaloha1
11-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Chris Johnson is a better option only if he does restructure contract.

Losing out on Lynch is still an issue given the current state of affairs of rbs.

Fritz
11-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Chris Johnson is a better option only if he does restructure contract.

Losing out on Lynch is still an issue given the current state of affairs of rbs.

Usually fans want to trade the team's fourth string running back for someone else's star player. This is unusual - that I'm hearing clamoring from fans to trade a young guy with plenty of upside - who still has some small chance at reaching it - for someone else's aging vet.

Lurker64
11-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Per a Rams source (via Twitter) nobody on the Rams is being traded and the Rams aren't trading for anybody.

I suspect the deadline (which is in 5 minutes) will come and go with no major trades.

Guiness
11-01-2012, 03:02 PM
If we're gonna trade for a RB, how about DeAngelo Williams???

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000088443/article/panthers-deangelo-williams-ignoring-trade-rumors

I mentioned him as well. He or one of the Bills RBs seems like a guy most likely to be available. The Bills would have a hard time deciding who goes, though. They've got a heck of a history lately of having good RBs, then letting them go. Marshaw Lynch, McGahee, Henry. All were good starters when traded, and now they'll likely get rid of one of the two they've got.

Lurker64
11-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Deadline has passed. Neither Jackson nor Williams have been traded.

It's unlikely Blount was traded, as the Buccaneers would have announced that when they announced their trade of Talib.

Pugger
11-01-2012, 05:45 PM
It appears TT and MM are content to work with Starks and Green until CedBen returns.

Lurker64
11-01-2012, 05:54 PM
So it appears the only in-season trades this season were the Bucs trading Talib to the Pats and the Jags trading Mike Thomas to the Lions. That's two more trades than I expected.

sharpe1027
11-01-2012, 05:58 PM
It appears TT and MM are content to work with Starks and Green until CedBen returns.

I don't know if I'd agree with content. If I had to guess, I would say that they would love to have someone else, but just didn't think there were any reasonable options available.

Joemailman
11-01-2012, 06:08 PM
They won a Super Bowl with rookie Starks and Brandon Jackson at RB, so hardly surprising. When TT makes a mid-season move, it's usually because multiple injuries at one position created a severe depth problem.

Fritz
11-02-2012, 07:37 AM
I was hoping the extended trade deadline with the new CBA would result in more trades. Trades are usually fun for fans. But alas, no. A bunch of Ted Thompsons running the show, I suppose.

Where was Dan Snyder, giving up a second round draft pick for a journeyman cornerback? Where were the Vikings, giving up ten future first rounders for someone else's star?

I wonder what the Lions paid for this Mike Thomas.

run pMc
11-02-2012, 11:26 AM
One of the theories I've seen thrown out there re: lack of trades is because so many teams have between 3 & 5 wins that none of them think they're out of it yet. I'm sure there's a little truth to that -- if you're sitting 4-4 and can string a hot streak into the 2nd half of the season -- say, finish 6-2 -- that gives you a good shot at the playoffs. Of course, injuries, schedule, and reality have something to do with that.

The details I heard on M.Thomas were a 2014 R5 pick. Not bad.

ThunderDan
11-02-2012, 04:05 PM
One of the theories I've seen thrown out there re: lack of trades is because so many teams have between 3 & 5 wins that none of them think they're out of it yet. I'm sure there's a little truth to that -- if you're sitting 4-4 and can string a hot streak into the 2nd half of the season -- say, finish 6-2 -- that gives you a good shot at the playoffs. Of course, injuries, schedule, and reality have something to do with that.

The details I heard on M.Thomas were a 2014 R5 pick. Not bad.

If you do that you could have a multipage thread on this website with a similar title.

I think you are right in two ways. First, with a lot of teams still on the playoff edge they aren't going to trade away their star players for future picks. Second, with the salary cap situation so many teams are right on the edge anyway. Picking up someone elses star player this year means you can't sign your star player to a contract next year.

You have to have a dozen above average players at $1,500,000/ year or you have to let your studs walk. There are only so many $10,000,000+ contracts to give out and be able to field a roster from top to bottom that can compete at every position.