PDA

View Full Version : Even if Favre returns Weaker or Stronger?

woodbuck27
04-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Green Bay
Player, Pos. 2005 Team Designation Contract Length
Kevin Barry, OT Green Bay Unrestricted Undisclosed
Marc Boerigter, WR Kansas City Unrestricted Undisclosed
Billy Cundiff, K Tampa Bay Other* Undisclosed
Najeh Davenport, RB Green Bay Unrestricted Undisclosed
Rod Gardner, WR Green Bay Unrestricted Undisclosed
William Henderson, RB Green Bay Unrestricted Undisclosed
Marquand Manuel, S Seattle Unrestricted Undisclosed
Kenny Peterson, DE Green Bay Restricted Undisclosed
Ryan Pickett, DT St. Louis Unrestricted Undisclosed

Departures Tony Fisher, RB (STL); Mike Flanagan, OL (HOU); Paris Lenon, LB (DET); Ryan Longwell, K (MIN)

OL - weaker ! All I see is this:

LT X X X RT. Plus they must learn and adapt to a new zone blocking scheme. Chad Clifton sure missed Mike Wahle last Season.

RB: Serious injury for Green to recover from /age factor getting close.Question marks with Najeh and Samkon.

WR: We were strong now weak to questionable. Here's where Favre makes a huge difference as long as his WR's can run routes well.

Donald Driver- Age but he's in amazing condition and tough /spirited. Everywhere else there are question marks. Javon is gone and will Rod Gardner get there again? Boerighter and Ferguson? People laugh at him but Antonio Chatman got a 250 K signing bonus for some reason.

ST's where are we? We have to fill at punter, kicker and punt returner.I hope that Jon Ryan works out for us.He may be a huge upgrade in a very important aspect of OUR team.He's got the leg for sure and can do kick off's as well.

We lost Ryan Longwell and people say his game went south but noway we replaced him as yet.

We need to acquire a solid man to replace Chatman for punt returns likely as a medium to high priority in the draft.

We will look really bad without solid casts on OUR OL and ST's.

On Defence. I see a slight upgrade only at the safety spot in Marquand Manual. TT has to know this fella.

We don't know yet, about DT Ryan Pickett being the man to replace Grady Jackson (who played very well for us). He is younger (a plus) but will his improvement in 2005 translate to good for us?

We need badly at LB.We look like last year's Christmas Tree in March back there.

CB: Well Al Harris is it ! He's not getting younger. Ahmad Carroll = Nope! Will , will Hawkins be ready this Season. . . . but after that. . .spacey!

This Team has a weak skeletal structure and no meat/muscle on it.

Then there is the heat of 4-12 last Season. Pressure - unless you say there is only one way (with Favre) but UP !

Personally, I feel at this point last Season we were stronger.I see teams like the Jets bringing in fellas at positions where we have real need ie CB (Andre Dyson formelly fr. Seattle) and LBer ( Sam Kassel formelly of the Tenessee Titans) solid players, and it bothers me that we are so quiet.

I want C/G of the zone blocking scheme and a former first rounder, Jeff Faine not to be seriously considered, but in the Green and Gold. No excuses there! Get him - yesterday. What in "H" is that about? He wanted to play for us. It can't be cost and he's a perfect fit.

Geeeee !

HarveyWallbangers
04-12-2006, 04:00 PM
I tend to agree with you--although I'd classify Pickett as a slight upgrade because he will play more snaps, and shouldn't run into the injury problems that Grady had. The LBs (except for Barnett) were horrendous last year, so it can't get any worse there. I have hope that they do have some young guys on the roster that will make a natural progression. We need a killer draft, and we need to really go after Arrington, Woodson, and/or Plummer.

woodbuck27
04-12-2006, 08:51 PM
I tend to agree with you--although I'd classify Pickett as a slight upgrade because he will play more snaps, and shouldn't run into the injury problems that Grady had. The LBs (except for Barnett) were horrendous last year, so it can't get any worse there. I have hope that they do have some young guys on the roster that will make a natural progression. We need a killer draft, and we need to really go after Arrington, Woodson, and/or Plummer.

I am shocked at the speed with which Ted Thompson is moving Harvey.

He's really got lots of money to spend, if you project the 53 man roster plus Taxi squad and ( considering a Rookie Class Cost of about $7 million).Then holding $5 million below the Cap, he can still spend about $10 million.

This man tends to frustrate me. LOL.

Bretsky
04-12-2006, 09:13 PM

I am shocked at the speed with which Ted Thompson is moving Harvey.

He's really got lots of money to spend, if you project the 53 man roster plus Taxi squad and ( considering a Rookie Class Cost of about $7 million).Then holding $5 million below the Cap, he can still spend about $10 million.

This man tends to frustrate me. LOL.

Agree with everything posted in here. Don't know what more I can say about the turtle.

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2006, 12:59 AM
Woody,

You are preaching to the choir when you are preaching to the Bangers on Ted Thompson. I'm fast becoming his second biggest critic. I just know that Arrington and Woodson are teases, and we will be stuck with second rate talent. All I can say is that I sure the hell hope the dude can draft. Otherwise, his tenure in Green Bay will be short, but not short enough.

Fosco33
04-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Woody,

You are preaching to the choir when you are preaching to the Bangers on Ted Thompson. I'm fast becoming his second biggest critic. I just know that Arrington and Woodson are teases, and we will be stuck with second rate talent. All I can say is that I sure the hell hope the dude can draft. Otherwise, his tenure in Green Bay will be short, but not short enough.

Let's see what TT has in store for this draft before we begin pulling a Matt Millen on him.

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2006, 01:24 AM
I'm afraid that TT will get a rope that is too long to hang himself. Detroit fans only wish the Fords would have canned Millen's ass four years ago.

woodbuck27
04-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Woody,

Harvey: TT has by my estimations after paying for a 53 man roster and Taxi Squad, using $7 million for the Rookie Class,and say $5 million in the storeroom for whatever -about $10 million that he can spend in FA or otherwise.

What is he planning on doing with that $10 million?

GBRulz
04-13-2006, 08:57 AM
One has to wonder if the Packers ave another dismal season like last year, if John Jones decides to clean house.....again. This is Harlan's last year as President - will be interesting to see what happens.

If having one more pathetic season means the end of TT, I'm all for it. I'm sick of this guy sitting on all this cash, acting like it's his own personal bank account.

Sparkey
04-13-2006, 01:49 PM
One has to wonder if the Packers ave another dismal season like last year, if John Jones decides to clean house.....again. This is Harlan's last year as President - will be interesting to see what happens.

If having one more pathetic season means the end of TT, I'm all for it. I'm sick of this guy sitting on all this cash, acting like it's his own personal bank account.

GBM,

Who out there would have, without question, made the packers better ?

Something to remember is that these teams that sign guys to bigger than market contracts better hope that these guys are better tan anyone else on the team.

Lets say I sign LeCharles Bentley to a 5 mil a year ave contract and he does not make the pro bowls. Then a guy he drafted a year before outplays him and is a FA. Do you think he will want more $$$$ than Bentley because he is outplaying him ? I would if I were in his shoes.

Some of those questionable FA signings can bite those teams in the ass when their own palyers contracts expire.....

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Who is to say Thompson would sign the FA that outplayed Bentley the next year? If he wasn't going to do it this year, then when would he ever do it? Then again, I'm going to quit my Thompson bashing until after we hear about Arrington and Woodson.

woodbuck27
04-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Well there is hope yet.

The posters @ JSO are discussing trade rumors involving Favre being moved to, let me see:

Washington or San Diego or New Orleans ( handy to . . home you know ) maybe, for a 3rd , 4th or 5th round pick. Good gracious.

Some baloney, over a Capitol City Radio News talk show this AM.

GBRulz
04-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Sparkey, I never expected TT to break the bank and overspend on FA's, but he could be doing more than he has been. What I really had hoped would get better is our OLine. We have our 3 RB's back for another season. If healthy, should be a great combination. but without a decent line, even the best RB's don't have a chance.

I realize that the cap situation this year wasn't that much of an advantage to us with the amount that it increased. Few cap casualties to go around.

Sparkey
04-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Sparkey, I never expected TT to break the bank and overspend on FA's, but he could be doing more than he has been. What I really had hoped would get better is our OLine. We have our 3 RB's back for another season. If healthy, should be a great combination. but without a decent line, even the best RB's don't have a chance.

I realize that the cap situation this year wasn't that much of an advantage to us with the amount that it increased. Few cap casualties to go around.

I guess when I take into consideration that their is a whole new offensive blocking scheme being implemented, I dont know who is a weak link.

Is Klemm a bad lineman or was he a bad lineman in a pull and trap blocking scheme ? I would guess the coaches know more about the teams needs than any of us ever will.

packrulz
04-14-2006, 05:25 AM
I still think the queens overpaid for Hutch, $49 mil is too much for even a Pro Bowl guard. Arrington and Woodson are asking way too much money, I know there's a new cap but a lot of teams are overpaying for aging vets. It will be obvious about mid-season. Marco Rivera was a 6th round pick. If TT has a good draft things will look a lot better. I still think Mario has a chance to slip to the #5 pick.

Tarlam!
04-14-2006, 06:53 AM
I think TT did not believe the CBA would get done with such additional cap space for teams in the red to still be able to manover.

Or else, why did he let go both guards last year?

Suddenly, teams had a bonanza of cash that they should not have had, which literally torpedoed TT's efforts for getti ng top FAs that can immediately help to fair prices.

I know you all want 10 new drop dead playmakers. I want some too, but I think the market shift was unfavourable. Also, FAs left in the dark about our ability to score points is not helping. We don't know if the if #4 will be throwing. We have to assume that Walker won't be catching.

This all impacts guys like Vinateri in their decsion-making. And, last year's 4-12 record, was caused by injuries to key weapons, which IMO, was down to poor player-condition (poor coaching).

I remember some of you screaming about clock management (poor coaching). Still others about Brett's decsions (poor coaching). About our shitty play calling and predicable monotonous game-planning (poor coaching).

I'll grant you, we did not adequately replace our guards. But, in Gado and Gardner, we found two guys capable. Thornburg was excellent on ST, and adds depth at CB.

I like the character of players we're adding. I like A-Rod. He is smart. Smart QB's that can manage the game are far better IMO, that great athelets. Or do you guys really want Micheal Vick?

It will take a l'il longer, but TT is leading us back into the winner's circle.

GBRulz
04-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Is Klemm a bad lineman or was he a bad lineman in a pull and trap blocking scheme ? I would guess the coaches know more about the teams needs than any of us ever will.

You bring up a vrey good point. This is why I don't understand why we're not having any mini camps prior to the draft. At least perhaps you can get a glimpse of what the guys can do with the new blocking scheme.

I have a feeling that we will be bringing in quite a few undrafted linemen, hoping to find a diamond in the rough....

Bretsky
04-14-2006, 05:55 PM
FRIDAY, April 14, 2006, 3:58 p.m.
By Tom Silverstein

Favre bonus pushed back to July
The Green Bay Packers have taken the nettlesome roster bonus issue out of the Brett Favre retirement equation, moving the deadline for the $3 million payment to July 27, thus guaranteeing it won't have to be addressed again until the start of training camp.

According to a source familiar with the contract, Favre and the Packers agreed to move the roster bonus deadline from Saturday to July 27. The move all but guarantees that the Packers won't receive a decision from Favre this weekend, but it doesn't necessarily mean they won't hear anything until the start of camp.

The roster bonus date has been an artificial deadline used to encourage Favre to make a decision. However, it has been moved three times previously, from the fifth day of the new league year to the 12th day (March 22) to April 1 to April 15.

If Favre is on the roster at the time the deadline hits, he is guaranteed a $3 million payment on Dec. 1. It has previously been reported that the roster payment date was in September, but that is not the case.

However, the deadline is somewhat artificial because if it passes, the Packers don't owe Favre anything until December. Thus, contrary to some reports he does not become a free agent if the Packers don't hand over $3 million the day the roster bonus is due.

The Packers continue to move the roster bonus only as a safeguard against the unlikely scenario that Favre would play somewhere else. If the bonus date passes and Favre winds up playing for another team, then the Packers would be liable to pay him $3 million on Dec. 1.

So they continue to move the date just to be safe.

If the bonus date passes and Favre retires before the season starts he does not receive the money in December.

Moving the roster date to July 27 takes pressure off the Packers and Favre, especially in regard to media coverage. Every time the deadline date comes up there is increasing media coverage of Favre's impending decision whether to retire.

It's looking more and more like Favre won't make a decision until after the NFL draft April 29-30, although it's unclear whether that has been discussed between the two parties. General manager Ted Thompson has refused to discuss specifics of the roster bonus issue but has acknowledged that it's not a sure thing Favre will apprise him of his decision before the draft.

Harlan Huckleby
04-14-2006, 06:33 PM
It's looking more and more like Favre won't make a decision until after the NFL draft April 29-30, although it's unclear whether that has been discussed between the two parties. General manager Ted Thompson has refused to discuss specifics of the roster bonus issue but has acknowledged that it's not a sure thing Favre will apprise him of his decision before the draft.

This is going to go on forever.

Every noise coming from Favre indicates he is going to retire. Expect this dance to go on through minicamps, with Favre a no show, and the PAckers not willing to cut him.

Then Favre retires.

Then the drama really starts. There will be talk of him coming back out of retirement through the fall. And God help us if a QB gets injured. I won't be a bit surprised if he does return for a last shift.

MJZiggy
04-14-2006, 07:15 PM
I knew he wouldn't decide a thing until after the draft.

Rastak
04-14-2006, 07:20 PM

Doesn't this dude sort of need to show up at mini camp when they start implementing the offense? When is the first mini camp?

Also, if he's a no show they almost have to fine him or no one need show up. I guess they could excuse him for "personal reasons" but I bet McCarthy and TT would be irate.