View Full Version : PACKERS - Running game Revs Up

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 11:10 AM
SUN., AUG 20, 2006 - 2:06 AM
Packers: Running game revs up

JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com

GREEN BAY - The exhibition season is only two games old, but if the Green Bay Packers' running game continues to progress at its current rate - and if four-time Pro Bowl halfback Ahman Green returns to form the way the team hopes - this newfangled zone-blocking scheme just might work.

Helped by a reshuffling of the offensive line and a more aggressive tack, the Packers rushed for 126 yards on 30 carries during Saturday night's 38-10 victory over the Atlanta Falcons at Lambeau Field.

"I think we definitely went in the right direction," coach Mike McCarthy said after his team averaged 4.2 yards per carry. "I think we definitely improved."

The numbers say so, since the Packers' running backs mustered only 23 yards on 15 attempts last week at San Diego.

Starter Najeh Davenport, who had 12 yards on six carries last week, improved slightly, gaining 29 yards on 11 carries. While those numbers weren't eye-popping, Davenport looked more decisive in his cuts and confident in his reads.

After Davenport, Noah Herron rushed seven times for 23 yards and rookie Arliss Beach gained 50 yards on nine tries. The Packers played without Samkon Gado, their leading rusher last year - he missed the game with a groin injury.

Most of the progress should be credited to the offensive line, which underwent a makeover Monday.

Playing musical chairs with their three rookies, the Packers demoted second-round pick Daryn Colledge from the starting left guard spot, shifted third-round pick Jason Spitz from right to left guard and inserted fifth-round pick Tony Moll into the No. 1 group at right guard.

"The first play, I was a little nervous," Moll said. "But I got the jitters out pretty quickly, like I was hoping would happen, and I was able to calm down and just play football."

Asked if he thought he solidified his starting spot, Moll said, "Who knows what they're going to do? Depending on how Daryn played, they might bring him back. Who knows? That's what they told me - they're just trying to find the five guys that are going to make it happen. Hopefully, I showed this team I should be sticking around past the last preseason game. That's all I'm looking for."

What the Packers are looking for is Green's return, expected to come Aug. 28 at Cincinnati. Green, who suffered a ruptured quadriceps tendon last October, took part in all phases of practice for the first time last week, doing 11-on-11 work in pads and with contact, though there was no live-tackling.

With Green and solid line play, things could be looking up.

"I'll have to watch it in the morning, but I have no reason to believe (the offensive line) didn't play well," McCarthy said. "That's where it all starts."

PACKERS ! SUCCESS IN 2006 !!!