PDA

View Full Version : Running game

RashanGary
11-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Exciting to see the Packers have a good day running the ball. With Benson and Green healthy, Starks was able to come back 100% from his turf toe injury. He's a set of fresh legs right now.

Green came along well after last years early season ACL injury. I read an article that showed players under the age of 25 with early season ACL injuries, come back the next year at or near 100% Benson carried the load for a couple games. Green carried it for a couple games. The bye week could do wonders for Green, really getting his legs under him in the 2nd half of the season.

Benson will eventually be back. The way Green and Starks looked today, we might not have to rush him back. Again, we could get this guy late in the season with fresh legs at 100% He's clearly our best short yardage back, and a guy you can hand the ball to in the 4th quarter who will get all of the yards that are there.

We might have the best mix at RB we've had in the MM era. Hopefully the line can stay somewhat healthy.

Bossman641
11-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Run game still struggling on short yardage. How many 3rd and 1 got stuffed? 2? 3?

pbmax
11-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Starks is the best zone runner they have but its still always an adventure. Thought Green ran much better, regardless of results. Pushed to the hole but was still patient waiting on blocks.

RashanGary
11-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Green averaged 4.8 YPC. I still think he has more in him, and I think we'll see it after the bye. He has some special qualities. I think he's going to be a big-play guy for us.

digitaldean
11-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Only minus today was the fumble by Starks. Initially it looked like Rodgers was going to be the leading rusher.

Did like the quick hit plays to Cobb. Cards have a better than avg D, so it's a good first step forward for the running game.

RashanGary
11-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Starks is the best zone runner they have but its still always an adventure. Thought Green ran much better, regardless of results. Pushed to the hole but was still patient waiting on blocks.

He looked good today. Ran hard. I think he falls forward better than Green. Green has more of a big play aspect to his game along with that open field, outlet game. Starks looked good today. He ran consistent, something he hasn't been much of the time. He did fumble and had a shoddy blitz pickup though.

It will be interesting how they balance those three backs when Benson is healthy. Green seems like the clear 3rd down back. I wonder if Starks will be put on the shelf, or if he'll take some carries from Benson.

pittstang5
11-04-2012, 07:48 PM
to be a "Complete" 3rd down back, Green needs to work on his blocking.

gbgary
11-04-2012, 08:28 PM
i'd like us to scrap the zone-blocking scheme.

ND72
11-04-2012, 08:55 PM

Why? Even under Sherman we ran some zones. The media over plays the "they are a zone team" talk, Every team runs them in the NFL and college. I just dont like how we run our zones.

gbgary
11-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Why? Even under Sherman we ran some zones. The media over plays the "they are a zone team" talk, Every team runs them in the NFL and college. I just dont like how we run our zones.

this is why we should stop it. go to a scheme we CAN run.

LegandofthePack15
11-04-2012, 11:22 PM

I'd like us to draft/acquire a change-of-pace, quick-as-a-cat back like Stephens-Howling/Rodgers(Atl)/Sproles (NO). But I am just a dreamer. Those guys are usually under 5'10", and Thompson still subscribes to Wolf's discriminating policy of ignoring anyone under 5'10."

Belichick, now that's one cool liberal cat. Doesn't care how tall or how big you are. If you can play, you can play. Hoodie's 5 SB appearances speak volumes.

Pugger
11-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Was it just a coincidence that we began to run the ball better with EDS in there?

wootah
11-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Was it just a coincidence that we began to run the ball better with EDS in there?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed to me the best runs came behind the Sitton/Lang combo on the other side.

Iron Mike
11-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Hoodie's 5 SB appearances speak volumes.

Especially w/how many SBs he's won since he got caught cheating.....

ND72
11-05-2012, 07:16 PM
this is why we should stop it. go to a scheme we CAN run.

But you still didn't say what is wrong with zones... I think we have the perfect team to run zones, it's just being ran incorrectly, that is on the coaches, not on the zone scheme or type of players.

mission
11-05-2012, 07:21 PM
I feel like someone said to A.Green last week: "You're 225 LBs. Run like it".
He wasn't a complete bruiser out there, but I felt he ran lower and wasn't so quick to go down. He needs to use his size more.

Starks missed some cutbacks/yards but ran hard and maybe helped set the tone a little bit for Green. Too bad about the fumble

MJZiggy
11-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Ouch...

LegandofthePack15
11-06-2012, 06:26 AM

Recording defensive signals in an actual game is not cheating; it is more like scouting. The NFL just don't like people recording their products without first paying them big bucks. Back in them good ole VCR days, recording the networks' broadcasts in one's own home was illegal.

Patler
11-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Recording defensive signals in an actual game is not cheating; it is more like scouting. The NFL just don't like people recording their products without first paying them big bucks. Back in them good ole VCR days, recording the networks' broadcasts in one's own home was illegal.

When rules strictly forbid the taping of opponents signals, and when teams are specifically warned by the league office that the practice is illegal and is being scrutinized, it certainly is cheating, in addition to being very dumb.

denverYooper
11-06-2012, 09:54 AM

To add to what Patler said, the Patriots recorded their opponents' practices, not just their in game signals. Spygate involved the Patriots secret filming of the Rams' pre-superbowl practice sessions.

And it wasn't illegal to record games for one's own use (still is not). It was illegal to distribute or profit from those recordings.