PDA

View Full Version : Nick Perry - Good pick or not?

Patler
11-13-2012, 04:18 PM
OK, his season is done, so all is in on his rookie performance.

I know, I know; he played some games hurt, and he had an abbreviated season. The easy answer is an "incomplete" on his evaluation. I expect that is what the various writers will give him, but that is a cop out.

What do you think? Worth a first round pick or not?
What did you see that you liked?
What did you dislike?

My impression is almost no impression, and for a rookie who is actually playing, that can be a good thing, because all rookies make mistakes. I do remember a few good plays. I do not remember any really awful ones. The kid has some power, and at times showed some pretty decent quickness. I thought he looked to be getting more comfortable his last couple games.

Actually, my memories from Sherrod's first season are worse than those for Perry's first season. Some of that may just be inherent in offense/defense. A defensive player stands out from doing something positive. An O-linemen stands out when something goes wrong.

Overall, I am looking forward to seeing him in 2013. I'm not disappointed in the pick. He won't be a Clay Matthews, but it doesn't look like he will be a Jamal Reynolds either.

pbmax
11-13-2012, 04:38 PM
One bad play where he all he needed to do was to force the WR to break inside versus San Fran. He bought a fake stepped up and in and the WR was in the clear.

Best feature of his game is power. Not as solid setting an edge as Walden has been this year, but he starts out much better in this facet.

Needs a third move off his power/bull rush. Not speedy enough to get around a Tackle every time.

mraynrand
11-13-2012, 04:40 PM
he is injury prone!

Upnorth
11-13-2012, 04:46 PM
He is superior to Justin Harrel in the 1st round pick injured defensive player category.

Seriously, he had good power from the outside and forced the OL to pay a little attention to him. When not bull rushing he looked lost, which was unfortunate as I remember him having good movement in college.

Freak Out
11-13-2012, 05:03 PM
The feeling is positive when I think about his performance before his injury. Now...I've only seen a couple of games but I remember some good things. He is going to get better.

Worth a 1st? At this time yes....if he gets injured early next year then we'll start the bust talk.

Liked: Power. Does he have the instincts and brain to go with it?

Not so much: He is another injury prone TT draft pick. :)

sharpe1027
11-13-2012, 05:10 PM
He needs a lot of improvement. He showed some power, but also looked a very awkward when not rushing the passer.

Many of the best pass rushers had great effort coupled with good body control. He doesn't stand out in either category. My guess is he will never be much better than an average starter, but average can be good enough when Clay is on the other side.

Joemailman
11-13-2012, 05:24 PM
He has some ability a s a pass rusher, and is strong enough that he should be effective against the run. The main question is whether he can improve enough in pass coverage to be an every down player, which you want from a 1st round draft pick. Worse case scenario is that he will be a good situational player. Not a bust.

Bossman641
11-13-2012, 05:32 PM
His hit on Luck was worth the price of admission alone. Looking forward to his return next year. Think of it this way - with Sherrod, Perry, and the 2013 pick we will basically have 3 first round rookies.

Lurker64
11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Perry was always a guy who was going to take a year or two to really come into his own. Not an immediate impact sort of guy, but a guy you have confidence in as a pass rusher because of his natural gifts and his desire to be good.

If the Packers wanted a guy who would be an immediate upgrade but with a fairly low ceiling, they would have taken Upshaw. Instead they took a shot at a guy who needs work, but has a chance of becoming a star.

I don't think you can judge this sort of pick after one year.

Fritz
11-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Perry was always a guy who was going to take a year or two to really come into his own. Not an immediate impact sort of guy, but a guy you have confidence in as a pass rusher because of his natural gifts and his desire to be good.

If the Packers wanted a guy who would be an immediate upgrade but with a fairly low ceiling, they would have taken Upshaw. Instead they took a shot at a guy who needs work, but has a chance of becoming a star.

Anybody know how Upshaw is doing?

sharpe1027
11-13-2012, 06:41 PM
36 tackles, half a sack and a fumble recovery in 9 games.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14970/courtney-upshaw

Fritz
11-13-2012, 06:57 PM
36 tackles, half a sack and a fumble recovery in 9 games.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14970/courtney-upshaw

Half a sack? This does not speak well to his manliness.

sharpe1027
11-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Half a sack? This does not speak well to his manliness.

Sharing a single sack with another man is not a resume builder.

Freak Out
11-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Depends on what profession were talking about. :)

Patler
11-13-2012, 07:53 PM
One bad play where he all he needed to do was to force the WR to break inside versus San Fran. He bought a fake stepped up and in and the WR was in the clear.

Best feature of his game is power. Not as solid setting an edge as Walden has been this year, but he starts out much better in this facet.

Needs a third move off his power/bull rush. Not speedy enough to get around a Tackle every time.

Against SF? Who the heck can remember that far back? :)
I'll give him a pass for a poor play in his first ever professional game.

Bretsky
11-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Nick Perry was about what we should have expected and I'm on the To Be Determined Wagon with Perry
Honestly my impressions of Sherry his first season were junk. Maybe I didn't taste the home juice; but what I witnessed was disappointment

Many of the draft Whackos (I'd be in that category so it's not a rip) noted often how Perry was not the ideal fit for a 3-4 team.....but the more ideal fits for GB were snatched right before we made our selections if we were going for need he was the best pass rusher, it appeared , on the board. So while we picked the dude and the Hjuice started flying around again that we got a steal, my bet is many of us silently wondered how good of a fit he'd be and deep down knew it was going to take a whilie for him to develop into the type of player that would warrant a 1st round pick in Green Bay's system.

He was ok; he showed some flashes at times as a pass rusher but he need another stellar move He looked out of sync when not rushing the passer. He didn't have a ton of terrible plays but not a ton of bad ones either.

For the fellow draftnik detractors................HE'S NO BROOKS REED..........but we all hope he could be someday :)

KYPack
11-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Another rookie OLB that looked like an uber PR guy was that Melvin Ingram SD got. Remember him nailing ARod in PS?

He's got a half sack this season also.

I really got on Perry for his dog performance vs SF in the opener. Everybody said I was being premature.

Mebbe everybody was right, the kid improved a bit before he got hurt.

He has to improve his cover, but all young OLB's have that problem.

I wish the kid well next season, he seemed willing to work on his game.

King Friday
11-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Perry was a bit of a project. He spent the better part of his last year in college aiming to be a DE at the next level. He improved during the course of the year. He has physical skills that give him a chance to be a highly capable player in the near future. If he sticks close to Clay, I'm guessing he'll become a very good player in 1-2 years.

pbmax
11-13-2012, 11:08 PM
he is injury prone!

You are finally facing fact.

pbmax
11-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Against SF? Who the heck can remember that far back? :)
I'll give him a pass for a poor play in his first ever professional game.

I only remember it because I am currently nursing a grudge against all people who rail about putting LBs in coverage versus WRs. This list includes play by play guys, color analysts, fans, pundits, sooth sayers, columnists, socialites, Nancy Grace and some message board posters.

I also, almost as a course of logic, hold a grudge against a player who only needs to keep the WR from going left and then falls for a fake to his right. He's making the few of us trying to understand look bad.

But I hope this kind of thing is correctable like KYP thinks.

Iron Mike
11-14-2012, 05:20 AM
His hit on Luck was worth the price of admission alone. Looking forward to his return next year. Think of it this way - with Sherrod, Perry, and the 2013 pick we will basically have 3 first round rookies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCDUQo9Qum8

Guiness
11-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Nice video find IronMike. Luck's a big guy, not as big as Roethlisberger, but not much smaller. Of course, when you blind side a guy like that in full stride, he's going down no matter who he is.

I'm at work and can't turn on the sound. What was the flag for? I don't remember, and please don't tell me that was unecessary roughness. It sure looked legal.

Patler
11-14-2012, 08:15 AM
I'm at work and can't turn on the sound. What was the flag for? I don't remember, and please don't tell me that was unecessary roughness. It sure looked legal.

It was for being a Packer who made a hard hit. Those plays have caught officials by surprise, they are so unaccustomed to seeing a Packer hit like that. Most hard, physical plays by the Packers this year have drawn flags.

Patler
11-14-2012, 08:17 AM
In all seriousness, it was for leading with his helmet, which some angles indicate he did somewhat. He was fined $15,000 by the league, so they thought so, too.

Zool
11-14-2012, 08:54 AM
15 yards for hitting the future face of the NFL, as dopey looking as it may be.

Guiness
11-14-2012, 10:02 AM
15 yards for hitting the future face of the NFL, as dopey looking as it may be.

That would be my interpretation as well. That was a far cry from spearing. The only think you could say about that was that he had Luck cold, and could've turned his head a bit to avoid making any contact with his helmet at all.

Freak Out
11-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Horrible call. NFL should be embarrassed.

Pugger
11-14-2012, 11:52 AM

And a handful of games.

mmmdk
11-14-2012, 12:25 PM
I liked the pick of Nick Perry from the get go and I still do; injury bug happened! Love to see Perry & Bishop back next season when I visit Lambeau. I'm shooting for the Browns game as I am 0-2 at Lambeau. :lol: :pack:

Upnorth
11-14-2012, 12:38 PM
I liked the pick of Nick Perry from the get go and I still do; injury bug happened! Love to see Perry & Bishop back next season when I visit Lambeau. I'm shooting for the Browns game as I am 0-2 at Lambeau. :lol: :pack:

So your saying you want us to loose to the browns...

Zool
11-14-2012, 01:01 PM

Let us tighten to the Browns instead.

Iron Mike
11-15-2012, 06:55 AM
15 yards for not facing fact.

Then I think we ALL need to chip in for the $15K fine...... :)

Upnorth
11-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Let us tighten to the Browns instead.

Only here could the guy with a bubbles avatar be the spelling natzi.

ThunderDan
11-15-2012, 10:35 AM

Come to a Gold Package game and drink with me. I'll put my 10 game 6 year winning streak on the line against your 0-2 streak. Winner buys dinner after the game!

mmmdk
11-15-2012, 05:25 PM

:lol: It would seem so...nah, can't lose that game...can we!? :razz:

mmmdk
11-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Come to a Gold Package game and drink with me. I'll put my 10 game 6 year winning streak on the line against your 0-2 streak. Winner buys dinner after the game!

This sounds great! When are these games typically played? September & october are my only options. I will put an effort into making it happen!

Fritz
11-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Careful, Danny boy. That European fucks up your win streak, the Packers lose, AND you'd have to buy dinner? Nobody's happy in that scenario.

mmmdk
11-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Careful, Danny boy. That European fucks up your win streak, the Packers lose, AND you'd have to buy dinner? Nobody's happy in that scenario.

I thought I'd pay dinner if Packers lose!? That "European" is American too and I think Denmark, Europe, beats Detroit in a landslide. :lol: Btw, wasn't Michigan sold to Canada, China or something? :wink:

Fritz
11-15-2012, 05:58 PM
I thought I'd pay dinner if Packers lose!? That "European" is American too and I think Denmark, Europe, beats Detroit in a landslide. :lol: Btw, wasn't Michigan sold to Canada, China or something? :wink:

Well, you must have been in Europe for quite a few years; you write just like my German cousins from Essen.

I think Dan was betting his win streak against your losing streak. The Packers lose, you win dinner from Thunder Dan. But as a good Packer fan, how could you enjoy that?

And it's Toledo, Ohio, that is selling itself off to the Chinese. We keep offering ourselves in Detroit for sale, but even places like Lebanon and Sierra Leone turn us down. They say it's too dangerous here.

mmmdk
11-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Well, you must have been in Europe for quite a few years; you write just like my German cousins from Essen.

I think Dan was betting his win streak against your losing streak. The Packers lose, you win dinner from Thunder Dan. But as a good Packer fan, how could you enjoy that?

And it's Toledo, Ohio, that is selling itself off to the Chinese. We keep offering ourselves in Detroit for sale, but even places like Lebanon and Sierra Leone turn us down. They say it's too dangerous here.

You're not flattering my English! Sure I've been in Denmark for most of my life and that's why I master both Danish & English, solid German and I speak adequate French too. You can even add Norwegian and Swedish at that. Sorry, no potato in my mouth, nor in my writings either. :wink: Spanish will be the prime language in America in 50 years anyhow; so there's no real reason for anyone there to learn real english...anyhoo. Time's up!:taunt: :smile:

Dinner is dinner; one must eat! :lol: I'd prefer a Packers win any day of the week though.

So capitalism is coming to Ohio? Sorry to hear about Detroit but was fun reading. :lol:

Iron Mike
11-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Only here could the guy with a bubbles avatar be the spelling natzi.

Nazi...

KYPack
11-15-2012, 08:40 PM
You're not flattering my English! Sure I've been in Denmark for most of my life and that's why I master both Danish & English, solid German and I speak adequate French too. You can even add Norwegian and Swedish at that. Sorry, no potato in my mouth, nor in my writings either. :wink: Spanish will be the prime language in America in 50 years anyhow; so there's no real reason for anyone there to learn real english...anyhoo. Time's up!:taunt: :smile:

Dinner is dinner; one must eat! :lol: I'd prefer a Packers win any day of the week though.

So capitalism is coming to Ohio? Sorry to hear about Detroit but was fun reading. :lol:

Si.

Upnorth
11-15-2012, 09:12 PM

It used to be Canadian but we won a war, burnt the white house and forced you yanks to take it off our hands back in the day.

Upnorth
11-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Nazi...

You, sir, are no basterd.

ThunderDan
11-15-2012, 10:52 PM
This sounds great! When are these games typically played? September & october are my only options. I will put an effort into making it happen!

The Gold games are the 2nd and 5th home games of the year. It usually is late Sept/early Oct for home game 2 and late Nov for home game 5. This year was different with two home games to start the season. We got to watch the Bears on Thursday night and then the Cardinals a couple of weeks ago.

Fritz has it right. If my streak ends I buy dinner. If your streak ends you buy dinner.

run pMc
11-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Packers.com didn't show Perry's stats -- not that I could find -- so I'm going with Yahoo's.
They show Perry's stats through 6 games as 13 Tkl, 6 Ast, 2Sack, 0 Int, 0 FFum, 0 DefTD, 1 PD.

Roughly extrapolated over 16 games and rounded to nearest, that's about 35 Tkl, 16Ast, 5 Sacks, 0 Int, 0 Def TD, 3 Pass Def.
My guess is if he was healthy those numbers would be a little higher, and trending upward as the season went on.

Comparing those estimated numbers to Walden's numbers from last year:
16 G, 41 Solo Tkl, 19 Ast, 3 Sacks, 0 Int, 1 DefTD, 3 PD

Pretty comparable to the veteran's numbers last year. Admittedly, last year was a bad year for the defense, but it was the most recent full year of stats.

I agree with most that Perry is a work in progress. I hope he stays healthy so we can find out if he'll pan out or go the way of Justin Harrell.
My gut tells me he'll be an average to above-average OLB, good enough to flash occasionally but not on the level of CM3 and not a liability.

Would think he should be able to take mental reps from the sidelines and learn a few things hanging around Greene, CM3, etc., as he rehabs.

Zool
11-16-2012, 12:15 PM
And he'd have another sack if not for the questionable call against Indy.

sharpe1027
11-16-2012, 12:27 PM
My problem with comparing based upon stats is that what Perry does best shows up in the stats column (mostly sacks), but what he does poorly is not measured by stats (coverage, positioning, playing in open space). IMO, he's not as good as his stat line suggests just yet.

run pMc
11-16-2012, 12:36 PM
My problem with comparing based upon stats is that what Perry does best shows up in the stats column (mostly sacks), but what he does poorly is not measured by stats (coverage, positioning, playing in open space). IMO, he's not as good as his stat line suggests just yet.

Totally Agree...I don't think it's the ideal way to compare, but it gives us something to start from.
If he can improve to at least an "average" level in the areas you mentioned (coverage, etc.) then that will determine where his value falls: worth a low R1 or a UDFA grade?
In fairness, Walden was originally a R6 pick that bounced around and is playing pretty good.

sharpe1027
11-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Totally Agree...I don't think it's the ideal way to compare, but it gives us something to start from.
If he can improve to at least an "average" level in the areas you mentioned (coverage, etc.) then that will determine where his value falls: worth a low R1 or a UDFA grade?
In fairness, Walden was originally a R6 pick that bounced around and is playing pretty good.

Yeah. It is useful, but only if you keep it in context. He should only improve and he was already decent. Walden is probably at the peak of his career and will not get much better. We bought "low" with Walden, it may be time to sell "high."

mmmdk
11-16-2012, 05:06 PM
The Gold games are the 2nd and 5th home games of the year. It usually is late Sept/early Oct for home game 2 and late Nov for home game 5. This year was different with two home games to start the season. We got to watch the Bears on Thursday night and then the Cardinals a couple of weeks ago.

Fritz has it right. If my streak ends I buy dinner. If your streak ends you buy dinner.

Got it! :tup:

rbaloha1
11-18-2012, 11:06 AM
TBD

IMO will be a good player in the future. Shall be surprised if turns into another JH.