PDA

View Full Version : ProFootballWeekly - Hawk Comments

retailguy
08-21-2006, 11:49 AM
From the "Whispers" section:

Sources in Green Bay are stunned that fifth overall pick A.J. Hawk hasn’t been more of a steady presence this summer. In fact, there are some who believe third-round pick Abdul Hodge might be a better starter at this time than the ultratalented Hawk.

Wow, I hadn't heard any of this. Since I'm out of state, I haven't been able to watch live, although I did get in in GBR's feed (thanks!), but haven't been paying much attention to Hawk. Is this true? Is this hype? Has he looked "that bad?"

BananaMan
08-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Before we started playing preseason games I could understand people saying that. But Hawk has improved each game and outplayed Hodge on the field. Hawk had a very stellar game vs. the Falcons.

RashanGary
08-21-2006, 11:59 AM
I can't believe Hawks game wasn't a bigger deal. I guess he only made 3 or 4 good plays, but they were very good plays. He ripped a FB violently to the ground, like no other Packer over the last 5 or 6 years. He played very well in pass coverage and was the difference on at least 2 pass plays. He spiked a QB in the most ruthless fashion possible and got flagged *not rightfully*.

He looked like the best LB on the field, both teams included. Hawk is doing just fine. Hodge has looked lost ever since family night. Hawks team-mates seem to be gravitating to him. He makes a play and everyone shows him love. He's not alienated at all. Hawk is doing just fine in all aspects.

Nick Collins has been more of a disappointment to me. I think once Manuel gets in there and they develop a chemistry that things will work them selves out. Those two saftey's need to get on the same page and QB's will have a tough time making decisions of where to put the ball.

chewy-bacca
08-21-2006, 12:00 PM
yes, people need to chill and let the man do his thing. he will be a force.

swede
08-21-2006, 12:00 PM
If you are an out-of-town fan you have to get hooked up to forums like this one or sites such as Packernews.com or risk getting bad information.

National sports outlets are routinely a week or more behind if not just plain wrong when it comes to Packers coverage.

When I was still getting The Sporting News I'd shake my head at some the stuff they were writing about my team, and it made me wonder how accurate anything else was regarding other teams.

RashanGary
08-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Good point Swede. I know it's all BS. If you want to find out about the Falcons, go to a Falcon forum. The top couple teams have good coverage. The big markets get good coverage. The other 20 teams, you have to know where to find the accurate info.

I think footballfutures.com has a forum for all teams. They are pretty active. It's a good way to get a read on other teams.

swede
08-21-2006, 12:07 PM
As far as Hawk goes, he is a machine still in assembly mode. This last game was just a glimpse into the future. Big hits...breaking up passes...excellent angles to the ballcarrier...he really made a huge step forward against Atlanta.

The rap on him in the draft was that he was already there and he wasn't going to get better. I really believe that he is still on the upslope of an NFL learning curve. Watch out when Hawk gets to the top!

Scott Campbell
08-21-2006, 12:11 PM
I was a little concerned when he was largely invisible during the first couple weeks of camp, but more recent news has me reassured.

jack's smirking revenge
08-21-2006, 12:18 PM
The bottom line is this: regardless of perceieved "inconsistency of play" by the national media, he's our number one pick and we've got a lot invested in him. The Packers HAVE TO play him, if only to make sure experience forces him to live up to the expectation he brought as a #1 pick and one of the highest drafted LBs in quite some time. It's awesome to hear that Hodge is possibly outplaying Hawk! Knowing that we've got depth that could be starting pushes EVERYBODY at that position to work harder....

I honestly don't care much what happens in preseason. Even though the Pack decimated the Falcons on Saturday, I still think they have problems that one game won't correct. General theme: let's just be patient and see what happens come regular season.

Until then, let the "experts" talk away...

tyler

Partial
08-21-2006, 12:19 PM
I was a little concerned when he was largely invisible during the first couple weeks of camp, but more recent news has me reassured.

Remember though, last year there was talk of the linebacking position being pretty difficult to master in the scheme. It's definitely the hardest of the positions. I, too, am feeling optimistic. (is that correct grammar anyone?)

BananaMan
08-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Nick Collins has been more of a disappointment to me. I think once Manuel gets in there and they develop a chemistry that things will work them selves out. Those two saftey's need to get on the same page and QB's will have a tough time making decisions of where to put the ball.

Collins has been fine. Will he get better with Manuel in there? Yes. But he hasn't blown any coverage, blatantly missed a tackle, or made any mistakes. He had a few pass breakups last night. If you watch the play where Hawk broke up the pass in the middle of the field, Collins zipped over there and probably would have made an INT or big hit if Hawk wasn't there.

He hasn't been an all-out playmaker, but this defense isn't designed for playmakers. It's designed for players to do their assignments and do them well. So sometimes you may not hear a players name being called, but it doesn't mean he isn't doing a good job (many examples, like the DTs, the OLBs, the DBs).

Partial
08-21-2006, 12:25 PM

Collins has been fine. Will he get better with Manuel in there? Yes. But he hasn't blown any coverage, blatantly missed a tackle, or made any mistakes. He had a few pass breakups last night. If you watch the play where Hawk broke up the pass in the middle of the field, Collins zipped over there and probably would have made an INT or big hit if Hawk wasn't there.

He hasn't been an all-out playmaker, but this defense isn't designed for playmakers. It's designed for players to do their assignments and do them well. So sometimes you may not hear a players name being called, but it doesn't mean he isn't doing a good job (many examples, like the DTs, the OLBs, the DBs).

I disagree, like the tampa two, the safeties and LBs are supposed to be the playmakers. If this team wants to take a step up, collins needs to get his INT total up.

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Hawk has clearly outplayed Hodge in the two preseason games--after Hodge had a better scrimmage. Hawk is a better all-around LB, and he's starting to play like a top pick. I have no worries about Hawk.

BananaMan
08-21-2006, 12:39 PM
This isn't the Tampa 2 scheme that Chicago or Tampa Bay uses. This is more of a man-to-man, safeties deep Cover 2.

In the Tampa 2, you are right, you need playmakers. LBs that can drop deep like safeties, CBs that have good ball awareness, and good pressure up front.

In our scheme, you need two solid bump-n-run corners, two solid coverage safeties, two massive DTs to stop the run, two pass rushing DEs, and athletic OLBs who can go sideline to sideline and funnel the plays in towards the MLB who's a good tackler.

The jam at the line disruptes routes, and the safeties mainly cover. They aren't asked to be playmakers, making big tackles at the line, blitzing, etc. While I'm not saying that they won't be asked to do this from time to time, it's just not their primary job. The jam is also used to give the D-line more time to rush the QB, since the DTs aren't really meant to be pass rushers in the base defense.

The front 7 is supposed to be able to stuff the run by themselves. Not penetration-style stuffing, just 1-2 yard gain stuffing. The LBs don't have to be playmakers, they just need to have some speed and be able to do the correct assignment. The MLB doesn't really have to be a playmaker either, just a smart player who is a good tackler (think Zach Thomas).

Partial
08-21-2006, 12:45 PM
This isn't the Tampa 2 scheme that Chicago or Tampa Bay uses. This is more of a man-to-man, safeties deep Cover 2.

In the Tampa 2, you are right, you need playmakers. LBs that can drop deep like safeties, CBs that have good ball awareness, and good pressure up front.

In our scheme, you need two solid bump-n-run corners, two solid coverage safeties, two massive DTs to stop the run, two pass rushing DEs, and athletic OLBs who can go sideline to sideline and funnel the plays in towards the MLB who's a good tackler.

The jam at the line disruptes routes, and the safeties mainly cover. They aren't asked to be playmakers, making big tackles at the line, blitzing, etc. While I'm not saying that they won't be asked to do this from time to time, it's just not their primary job. The jam is also used to give the D-line more time to rush the QB, since the DTs aren't really meant to be pass rushers in the base defense.

The front 7 is supposed to be able to stuff the run by themselves. Not penetration-style stuffing, just 1-2 yard gain stuffing. The LBs don't have to be playmakers, they just need to have some speed and be able to do the correct assignment. The MLB doesn't really have to be a playmaker either, just a smart player who is a good tackler (think Zach Thomas).

I reckon that they are pretty similiar. Harv and I had a debate about this once, where I believe he came out as the victor. I argued your points, but he made many that were more successful.

If you look at how our LBs line up for most 2nd and longs, they are in a 3 across zone. I think our system is very, very similiar, with the primary difference being we have our two corners play man to man, and our goal isn't penetration with the DTs. Pretty much however you want to look at it, those are the two differences. That's pretty darn similiar

BananaMan
08-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Yes, I agree.

And it's not that I wouldn't like for our players to be playmakers, it's just that they don't HAVE to be to have the defense be successful. Just look at last year. It says it all. While we still had some crappy players, the defense was still pretty respectable.

RashanGary
08-21-2006, 01:18 PM
I dont' want respectable. I want dominating at times at least.

We need turnovers. Collins needs INT's and forced fumbles. Just not messing up isn't enough in year two. I want to see a few plays where he is the difference. Hawk already has been a time or two. Collins needs to step up. I think Manuel/Collins Chemistry is going to be pretty important in that area.

pbmax
08-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Actually, I believe our system now is closer to Tampa and Chicago cover 2 than it is to Donatell or Shurmur's under 4-3.

LBs in both base and nickel have primary coverage responsibility on the TE through the deep middle (remember Hawk's coverage, man to man, on the TE when he broke up a seam route near the end zone?)

And the talk in camp 2 weeks ago was the preponderance of man coverage responsibilites for the LBs on TEs and RBs.

In that article, it was specifically mentioned that Hodge was more familiar with man technique than Hawk. Hawk has the speed to excel at this, but much of it is new.

AtlPackFan
08-21-2006, 01:57 PM
God, I hope you are all right. My wife called me from a business trip in Milwauke and told me she bought me "Hawk" jersey. :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Hawk has clearly outplayed Hodge in the two preseason games--after Hodge had a better scrimmage. Hawk is a better all-around LB, and he's starting to play like a top pick. I have no worries about Hawk.

Ditto.

HAWK and HODGE will both start for us this season at some point with good fortune.

We are fortunate - with regards to these fine young Linebackers, on OUR side for a long time. HOPE :mrgreen:

Nice job GM Ted Thompson. Great choices.

GO PACKERS ! HAWK - BARNETT - HODGE at Linebacker. . .

OUR Successful Future !!

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 02:06 PM
God, I hope you are all right. My wife called me from a business trip in Milwauke and told me she bought me "Hawk" jersey. :mrgreen:

Put "the Loving" on her. Nice wife. :mrgreen:

HAWK !!

Packnut
08-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Actually, I believe our system now is closer to Tampa and Chicago cover 2 than it is to Donatell or Shurmur's under 4-3.

LBs in both base and nickel have primary coverage responsibility on the TE through the deep middle (remember Hawk's coverage, man to man, on the TE when he broke up a seam route near the end zone?)

And the talk in camp 2 weeks ago was the preponderance of man coverage responsibilites for the LBs on TEs and RBs.

In that article, it was specifically mentioned that Hodge was more familiar with man technique than Hawk. Hawk has the speed to excel at this, but much of it is new.

I think the whole damn league has moved to this defense or something very similiar.

red
08-21-2006, 03:44 PM
hawk has been right by the ball on almost every play he's in the game for. he knows what he's doing, and how to get there.

he missed most of the ota's so when camp started he was just learning everything

he showed in this last game that he's going to be damn good, i have no doubt about it.

this guys sources are probably 1 guy that went to 1 practicea couple of weeks ago, and watched hawk for a total of 5 minutes. just remember that. all these national experts might watch 1 practice and they think they have everything figured out from those 2 hours

b bulldog
08-21-2006, 03:50 PM
He has made great strides so far and looks to be a good lb.

Joemailman
08-21-2006, 04:45 PM
From the "Whispers" section:

Sources in Green Bay are stunned that fifth overall pick A.J. Hawk hasn’t been more of a steady presence this summer. In fact, there are some who believe third-round pick Abdul Hodge might be a better starter at this time than the ultratalented Hawk.

Wow, I hadn't heard any of this. Since I'm out of state, I haven't been able to watch live, although I did get in in GBR's feed (thanks!), but haven't been paying much attention to Hawk. Is this true? Is this hype? Has he looked "that bad?"

Something tells me their source is Chris Havel.

retailguy
08-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Something tells me their source is Chris Havel.

Does he have a written deal in place to write Hodge's book? :wink:

Mazzin
08-21-2006, 05:51 PM
He will get better with age, like wine almost.?. :smile:

But he won't be sweet, he will be one bitter ass motherfucker!
HOPEFULLY!

Terry
08-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Remember though, last year there was talk of the linebacking position being pretty difficult to master in the scheme. It's definitely the hardest of the positions. I, too, am feeling optimistic. (is that correct grammar anyone?)

Yes, it's fine, Partial.

Hell, that you know when to put two 'o's after the 't' in itself puts you ahead of 75% of internet contributors. :wink:

Packers4Glory
08-22-2006, 01:47 AM
i swear people want the guy to fail...he looked good against atl.

he is going to be more than just fine.

Taylor kinda sucks tho...I'd rather get Hodge in there and let him and Hawk go to it.