PDA

View Full Version : Free Mason Crosby!

pbmax
11-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Put these numbers in the Game day thread but here they are again.

He is 9 for 11 this year under 50 yards. 81.8%

Over 50, he is 1 for 5. 20%

Overall, 62.5%.

Its the same problem with usage pattern he has had his entire career. The only people who don't know this are McCarthy, Slocum and Crosby.

That was after his first miss from 50. Later missed again from 38 and hit from 39.

So as of tonight:

Over 50, 1 for 5, 20%

Under 50, 10 for 12, 83%.

He is in the second year of a good sized 5 year deal. They like him, so he is not getting cut. Do you bring in 22 kickers on Tuesday for workouts and invite the public?

What do you do?

pbmax
11-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Contract:5 yr(s) / $14,750,000 Signing Bonus $3,000,000
Average Salary $2,950,000 End Year:2015 Free Agent:2016 / Unrestricted
BASE SALARY S. BONUS MISC. BONUS CAP HIT
2011 1,650,000 600,000 - 2,250,000
2012 1,650,000 600,000 150,000 2,400,000
2013 2,400,000 600,000 150,000 3,150,000
2014 2,650,000 600,000 150,000 3,400,000
2015 2,800,000 600,000 150,000 3,550,000
2016 UFA
Signing Bonus: $3 million
Workout Bonus: $150,000

HarveyWallbangers
11-18-2012, 04:47 PM
That was after his first miss from 50. Later missed again from 38 and hit from 39.

So as of tonight:

Over 50, 1 for 5, 20%

Wouldn't that be 10 for 13 now under 50? I've always liked Crosby, but it's getting ridiculous. Like a golfer with the yips.

pbmax
11-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Wouldn't that be 10 for 13 now under 50? I've always liked Crosby, but it's getting ridiculous. Like a golfer with the yips.

That post included his first miss in the game. Prior to Detroit game, he was 1-4 from 50 or more.

Fritz
11-18-2012, 04:51 PM

There is a Packer assistant GM flying to an Applebee's as we speak, ready to offer Ryan Schlongwell a contract which he can sign as soon as he wipes his hands off from eating those wings.

mraynrand
11-18-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm betting that any kicker the Packers could bring in wouldn't be much better from over 50. And he probably wouldn't be able to directionally place kickoffs, run onside kicks all that well either. Thank goodness, Crosby had a chance to make that kick at the end and that his kicking didn't cost the game. Saw NEs kicker miss an 'easy' 38 yarder just a while ago. Sure outside, etc. etc. Kickers miss kicks. It's ugly right now, but probably salvageable.

Lurker64
11-18-2012, 05:16 PM
What do you do? Stop kicking field goals from 50 yards out.

Punt it, or go for it on fourth down.

I mean, who are you going to get that's better? Longwell is no better from 50+ at this stage in his career, and Kaeding is habitually worse than Crosby is now come playoff time.

RashanGary
11-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Crosby seems to be messing with his swing lately. He's been pretty much a consistent knuckle ball kicker, but now it seems he's like 50/50. Either it knuckles right (something he's just lived with) and sometimes it's straight as an arrow (something I haven't seen much of)

Also, he seems to be kicking with his foot a little more open, kind of hitting with the inside part of his foot.

Iron Mike
11-18-2012, 05:22 PM
It's time for him to face fact.

RashanGary
11-18-2012, 05:23 PM
His miss to the left was as true and straight as I've ever seen him hit. I loved the way the ball came off on that kick, but it's no good if he never knows when it's going to be a pure hit or when it's going to be a slice.

Bossman641
11-18-2012, 06:12 PM
I'll have to do a little research but I think some of you are overestimating the difficulty of those 50+ yarders. Have you seen the NFL lately? Kickers knock home 50+ FG like it is nothing.

Packers4Glory
11-18-2012, 06:25 PM
I've been a Crosby supporter. He's got a good leg and I feel he's been pretty good over his career so far. But I'm not sure they can continue to put up w/ the misses. If you make the playoffs your kicker has got to get those 3 points w/o fail. The games are often too contested to be missing...esp shit inside of 50....in a dome.

King Friday
11-18-2012, 06:27 PM
The guy made 23 FGs in a row last year. He's a very good kicker...but clearly he's in a funk right now. Crosby has ALWAYS been a streaky kicker, and he is just unfortunately going through a bad cold streak right now.

He is one of the best onside kick artists in the league. He's excellent on kickoffs. There is no reason to give up on the guy right now...any more than you get rid of Woodson because he has a few grabby penalties against him.

red
11-18-2012, 06:58 PM
ah yes. lets cut crosby and resign longwell

anyone remember why we got rid of longwell? his last year in green bay was the worst season of his career, in fact it cost us some games. so we let him go.

and the next year he returned to form and had 5 or 6 great years

so yeah, lets get rid of the good kicker who's struggling again

OS PA
11-18-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm just glad Crosby is getting through his funk right now rather than in the last few games or in the playoffs.

pittstang5
11-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Looking at the stats that PB provided, it would appear he's not doing that bad. The 39 yarder today and the 32 or something yarder a couple weeks ago is unacceptable for him to miss. Missing the easy ones, followed by the longer, more difficult FG attempts might be skewing our memory. Miss an easy one, then a couple hard ones - all you remember is him missing.

I too wanted him gone after that first 39 yard attempt. In a dome, you don't miss those, you can't! I was ready to let him go, but honestly, who's out there that would be any better?

However, I would still argue that each and everyone of his attempts this year has been makeable for him, except maybe one or two. He's got the leg, he's got the distance, just seems his kicks are slicing or fading - wish I knew why.

Something's rotten in the state of Crosby and he better get it fixed soon. It's only a matter of time before he loses a game we really need.

pbmax
11-18-2012, 07:57 PM
I agree that he should be better at the 50 yarders with his leg. But there has to be a recognition in the meantime that it isn't working right now and they need to stop asking him to do it when other reasonable options exist?

pittstang5
11-18-2012, 07:59 PM
I agree that he should be better at the 50 yarders with his leg. But there has to be a recognition in the meantime that it isn't working right now and they need to stop asking him to do it when other reasonable options exist?

Agreed. Punt or go for it.

pbmax
11-18-2012, 08:01 PM
McCarthy on Crosby via Wilde's Sulia account: "Mason’s got to put the ball through the uprights. That’s something that we’ve got to do a better job of. I thought Mason had a very good week of work; didn’t hit it today the way he needs to hit it but we’ll continue with Mason. We will not blink as far as our commitment to him."

Guiness
11-18-2012, 08:10 PM
You don't get rid of a guy like that. How happy were we all with that onside kick last week (or the one before?)

He's going through a funk, and needs to get himself back on the right track - something is in there rattling the pots and pans right now. If we got rid of him, he'd be unemployed for about a week, and probably come back at least as strong. There was another kicker like that recently...was having some domestic problems, laying eggs on the field, and got cut. Then made the pro bowl the next year. I thought it was Philadelphia, but it wasn't - anyone remember who?

pbmax
11-18-2012, 08:36 PM
You don't get rid of a guy like that. How happy were we all with that onside kick last week (or the one before?)

He's going through a funk, and needs to get himself back on the right track - something is in there rattling the pots and pans right now. If we got rid of him, he'd be unemployed for about a week, and probably come back at least as strong. There was another kicker like that recently...was having some domestic problems, laying eggs on the field, and got cut. Then made the pro bowl the next year. I thought it was Philadelphia, but it wasn't - anyone remember who?

Akers? Thought he had a child sick though. Had terrible game versus Pack in playoffs during Super Bowl run.

Guiness
11-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Akers? Thought he had a child sick though. Had terrible game versus Pack in playoffs during Super Bowl run.

Well, I thought so, but his Wikipedia pages doesn't mention it. He was Pro-Bowl 2010 and 2011, so it looks like he didn't miss a beat. Maybe it was in there somewhere.

Old School
11-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Let's remember that Longwell didn't have a bad year in Green Bay. It was the holder's fault. And Green Bay had a bad year for restaurants.

Truth be known, his already less than strong leg was in need of the aid of dome kicking.

Jimx29
11-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Don't be messing with Jennings buddy

http://i.minus.com/iPFuKwBvj0JDy.gif

Pugger
11-19-2012, 06:49 AM
That is kinda cute - Greg trying to get Mason lose.

pbmax
11-19-2012, 07:36 AM
Put these numbers in the Game day thread but here they are again.

So as of tonight:

Over 50, 1 for 5, 20%

He is in the second year of a good sized 5 year deal. They like him, so he is not getting cut. Do you bring in 22 kickers on Tuesday for workouts and invite the public?

What do you do?

Math fail. He was 1-2 in Lions game under 50 yards. So for the season he is 10 for 13 or 77%

pbmax
11-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Available to replace the FreeMason:

Nate Kaeding, Ryan Longwell, John Kasay, Billy Cundiff and Dave Rayner.

Silverstein says Kaeding is coming off two injuries, Longwell and Kasay have not kicked this year, Cundiff was cut after a bad stretch and Rayner is 72% lifetime. Something tells me Thompson has a another name or two on his list, but you never know.

KYPack
11-19-2012, 08:41 AM

David Akers.

The "sick child" tale was basically a cover story.

Ty Detmer and Akers were swindled out of all their money in a Ponzi scam.

This tripped Akers out and he couldn't kick for shit.

Makes me wonder if Crosby has problems on the home front somewhere.

The Shadow
11-19-2012, 08:48 AM
How about Bing Crosby?

pbmax
11-19-2012, 08:54 AM
David Akers.

The "sick child" tale was basically a cover story.

Ty Detmer and Akers were swindled out of all their money in a Ponzi scam.

This tripped Akers out and he couldn't kick for shit.

Makes me wonder if Crosby has problems on the home front somewhere.

Really? I remember both stories, but had no idea the Ponzi scheme thing hit him then.

Guiness
11-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Really? I remember both stories, but had no idea the Ponzi scheme thing hit him then.

Yes, that was it. How bad was he and for how long? As I said, he was pro-bowl (FWIW) 2010 and 2011. Seems like Philly threw in the towel in him pretty quickly considering both that he was a heck of a kicker and there were some very obvious extenuating circumstances. You'd think with the stakes involved they'd get in a damn phychologist???

Guiness
11-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Available to replace the FreeMason:

Nate Kaeding, Ryan Longwell, John Kasay, Billy Cundiff and Dave Rayner.

Silverstein says Kaeding is coming off two injuries, Longwell and Kasay have not kicked this year, Cundiff was cut after a bad stretch and Rayner is 72% lifetime. Something tells me Thompson has a another name or two on his list, but you never know.

Cundiff is interesting, he was mediocre most of his career, had a spectacular season in Baltimore, then seems to have returned to mediocrity. After leaving Balt, he stunk it up somewhere else...DC? (They always have awful kickers). What's up there? Seems like he has the tools.

Don't get me wrong. I think Crosby is the guy the Pack wants, they just have to figure out what's wrong there. Oh, and fire Slocum.

KYPack
11-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Yes, that was it. How bad was he and for how long? As I said, he was pro-bowl (FWIW) 2010 and 2011. Seems like Philly threw in the towel in him pretty quickly considering both that he was a heck of a kicker and there were some very obvious extenuating circumstances. You'd think with the stakes involved they'd get in a damn phychologist???

The Eagles were pissed. Also, no shrink can convince you to be happy and focused after you've been swindled out of your last nickle.

Akers got back to normal after he signed with SF and got a new (& more modest) signing bonus.

sharpe1027
11-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Stick with Crosby and reevaluate at the end of the year. He's not been stellar lately, but its a bit overblown. He's missed a lot of very long field goals and hasn't had many chances at shorter field goals. Just by sheer randomness every kicker will have periods where they kick below their career averages.

Sticking with Crosby is more likely to work than bringing in someone off the street. Any kicker picked up off the street will have their own set of problems.

denverYooper
11-19-2012, 10:21 AM
He just needs a slumpbuster.

mraynrand
11-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Brett Conway was 5/11 from 50+

Patler
11-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Crosby's first miss was in game #5 from 52 yards. He also missed from 51 in that game.
His third miss was in game 7 from 58 yards. He made kicks from 48, 47 and 27 in that game.

At that point, with his only misses being from 58, 52 and 51 it is hard to be too critical.

Game #8 he missed from 32 and in game #9 from 44.
Yesterday, another from 50 and one from 39.

Even with his three "short" misses this year, he is still an 84% kicker from under 50 yards for his career. His problem surfaced on erratic long kicks he missed, but is really just three games long. Let him try to work through it.

Freak Out
11-19-2012, 11:50 AM
He just needs a slumpbuster.

This...time to pound some skank.

LP
11-19-2012, 12:32 PM
I think the problem is coaching. And you all know what that means!:-)

3irty1
11-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Crosby is a good problem to have IMO. He does his best in what he is asked to do and he is reasonably good at it. I have no problem with McCarthy treating him like a professional and I love how much of a professional Crosby is. He makes no excuses ever, he attempts any distance in any situation and has as much faith in himself as McCarthy does. He's the ultimate soldier. Just the leg of McCarthy. He's also the best on-side-kicker in the NFL for what that's worth.

Old School
11-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Is Crosby's problem AR's fault? It seems Mason doesn't get many chip shots because Rodgers puts 6 on the board with regularity when he gets within smelling distance of the endzone. So Crosby is left with mostly long distance boots. Just sayin'.

Zool
11-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Is this where I sign up to get a free Mason Crosby? Is this some sort of raffle or does everyone get one?

mraynrand
11-19-2012, 01:13 PM
I think the problem is coaching. And you all know what that means!:-)

That's not the kind of thoughts I put in my head. It's prepare for another week and move on and just be ready once Wednesday comes."

You know the rules: Wait 'til Wednesday.

mraynrand
11-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Since the Defense has improved, Masthay can still kick pretty well, and the Packers can cover a punt OK, the Packers should just punt anything 40-45 outdoors and 45-50 indoors. Protect the shanker until he gets some 40 yarders under his belt.

Freak Out
11-19-2012, 01:43 PM
I love Mason Crosby...so I signed him to my FF roster.

mmmdk
11-19-2012, 01:44 PM
What do you do? Stop kicking field goals from 50 yards out.

Punt it, or go for it on fourth down.

I mean, who are you going to get that's better? Longwell is no better from 50+ at this stage in his career, and Kaeding is habitually worse than Crosby is now come playoff time.

This!

Yet if Stubby wants to kick long FGs then Crosby is not our man, if Stubby wants a clutch kicker then Crosby is not our kicker.

Crosby had a good rookie season and his best season last season; the rest Mason barely was a top 20 kicker. Mason's is way, way overrated.

Lastly, why talk of Longwell?...I'd actually rather keep Crosby (sigh); Longwell was better than Crosby but not anymore.

pbmax
11-19-2012, 03:32 PM
This!

Yet if Stubby wants to kick long FGs then Crosby is not our man, if Stubby wants a clutch kicker then Crosby is not our kicker.

Crosby had a good rookie season and his best season last season; the rest Mason barely was a top 20 kicker. Mason's is way, way overrated.

Lastly, why talk of Longwell?...I'd actually rather keep Crosby (sigh); Longwell was better than Crosby but not anymore.

Are you waiting for absentee ballots to be counted before citing Detroit as a win in the signature?

mraynrand
11-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Bring back Brett Conway!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2yNfAEReZSQ/SX-QmZy6kiI/AAAAAAAABYE/NYGUZagSC8w/s400/Bert+Convy.png

Bretsky
11-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Bring back Brett Conway!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2yNfAEReZSQ/SX-QmZy6kiI/AAAAAAAABYE/NYGUZagSC8w/s400/Bert+Convy.png

Bring back Tom Byrney........I tink that was the lefty's name. He was about the worst kicker I've seen in Green n Gold

pbmax
11-19-2012, 09:01 PM
How about Tony Franklin and his bare foot?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ORxpc4ULaDk/TR43xFO5T5I/AAAAAAAACao/gUzay5DdzX4/s1600/tonyfranklinpatriots.jpg

mmmdk
11-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Are you waiting for absentee ballots to be counted before citing Detroit as a win in the signature?

:lol: Fixed it!

Fritz
11-20-2012, 06:38 AM
I just wonder how Crosby can pull out of this funk he's in. What can he do? See a sports psychologist? Watch film of himself kicking game-winners? Hire a hot hooker and try to forget all about it? Rent Im Breuge and watch his midget alter-ego pull off one of the great all-time acting jobs?