PDA

View Full Version : A Defensive Identity?

Fritz
11-20-2012, 06:31 AM
After watching the rough and tumble defenses last night (Chicago kinda sucked, but early in the game they were hitting hard), I began to wonder if our own Packers are finally perhaps developing a defensive identity.

I'd love to re-watch that Lions game. I was so pissed off, so angry, at how poorly the Packers played (the lousy offensive line, Crosby, the myriad penalties), I think I missed watching what might have been the beginnings of a defense establishing a mind set.

Sure, the Lions offense sucked unwashed monkey balls, yet at the same time those youngsters on the back end of the Packers' defense played well, and the middle of the defense seemed to get some push on Stafford a little bit in the second half. They still don't make a QB shit his pants, but the middle did seem to push into Stafford a bit.

Anybody seeing signs that this team is developing a defensive identity, a bit of swagger, or am I just seeing through rose-colored glasses?

denverYooper
11-20-2012, 08:04 AM
I don't know about swagger but I no longer fear 3rd and long.

red
11-20-2012, 08:22 AM
our identity

bend, bend, bend, bend, bend...........

OK, NOW TRY NOT TO BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

denverYooper
11-20-2012, 08:57 AM
They don't seem to be bending nor breaking as much this year - 20.7 ppg (10th) and 16th in yds/gm (344).

Upnorth
11-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Our pass rush coming from more that 2 players is the big difference from last year. We still are not a great or even very good defence, but it is average to above average, and with our offence that is good enough most of the time.

Fritz
11-20-2012, 09:57 AM
I can't help but think, if only this team had one more big man in the middle who could push the pocket, that would go a long way toward helping the DE's and outside linebackers.

The good push in the middle - sporadic though it was - seemed to affect Stafford, and afforded B. Jones the space to go up the middle on some rushes. Which, during one, he promptly fucked up by jumping up in the air and letting Stafford go right by him. Lucky for Jones, Dezman Moses saved the day when he slapped the ball out of Stafford's hands.

But there did seem to be some swagger at the end. When was the last time you saw a Packer defense not even allow a completion on an end-of-the-game drive? Or was that just because the Lions were so deeply mired in their own feces?

pbmax
11-20-2012, 09:59 AM
They don't seem to be bending nor breaking as much this year - 20.7 ppg (10th) and 16th in yds/gm (344).

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around that PPG number. 20 points per game shouldn't be top ten, but it is.

Soon I will have to start railing about running the ball more to keep scores down across the league. Stupid rules changes!

pbmax
11-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Our pass rush coming from more that 2 players is the big difference from last year. We still are not a great or even very good defence, but it is average to above average, and with our offence that is good enough most of the time.

Chritl and Baranczyk in the GBPG made the point that the pass rush is better, but just a notch so. They point out the coverage is vastly better, allowing many more sack opportunities.

mraynrand
11-20-2012, 10:44 AM
The coverage by Hawk on TEs, running backs and even underneath coverage on Calvin Johnson was astonishing. He keeps that up, and the Packers will really be able to frustrate offenses.

mmmdk
11-20-2012, 10:50 AM
The coverage by Hawk on TEs, running backs and even underneath coverage on Calvin Johnson was astonishing. He keeps that up, and the Packers will really be able to frustrate offenses.

Thank goodness somebody starts acknowledging the play of AJ Hawk! :tup:

rbaloha1
11-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Swarming and assignment sure defense. Less big plays.

Shows how poor the Packer's defense was last year.

Upnorth
11-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Chritl and Baranczyk in the GBPG made the point that the pass rush is better, but just a notch so. They point out the coverage is vastly better, allowing many more sack opportunities.

I know this is only one aspect of pass rush, but we are 2nd in league with 33 sacks right nowwith an adjusted sack rate of 6.5%, last year we were 27th in the league with 29 sacks with an adjusted sack rate of 4.8%. Big big difference in pressure there. Some of it is surely coming from better coverage, but it looks to this amateur observe that we are getting a lot more push.

mission
11-20-2012, 12:37 PM
The corners are amazing. This is a completely different defense than the one with Bush starting against the 49ers. No Shields either which I think will be good for the burner matchups. I love watching them play, definitely have a lot more confident on 3rd and long as mentioned above.

gbgary
11-20-2012, 02:15 PM
our identity

bend, bend, bend, bend, bend...........

OK, NOW TRY NOT TO BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's last year's d. this year's is much better than that.

KYPack
11-20-2012, 02:28 PM
The corners are amazing. This is a completely different defense than the one with Bush starting against the 49ers. No Shields either which I think will be good for the burner matchups. I love watching them play, definitely have a lot more confident on 3rd and long as mentioned above.

This secondary is young, but they play with a vet mentality. Hayward is emerging as a leader. He is fastidious about maintaining position & leverage and always knows where his help is coming from. Guys like House are picking up on that and this unit should be downright scary with time working together.

gbgary
11-20-2012, 02:40 PM
After watching the rough and tumble defenses last night (Chicago kinda sucked, but early in the game they were hitting hard), I began to wonder if our own Packers are finally perhaps developing a defensive identity.

I'd love to re-watch that Lions game. I was so pissed off, so angry, at how poorly the Packers played (the lousy offensive line, Crosby, the myriad penalties), I think I missed watching what might have been the beginnings of a defense establishing a mind set.

Sure, the Lions offense sucked unwashed monkey balls, yet at the same time those youngsters on the back end of the Packers' defense played well, and the middle of the defense seemed to get some push on Stafford a little bit in the second half. They still don't make a QB shit his pants, but the middle did seem to push into Stafford a bit.

Anybody seeing signs that this team is developing a defensive identity, a bit of swagger, or am I just seeing through rose-colored glasses?

I think our o-line is faaaar from lousy. i'd say most of rodgers sacks have been due to the injury-impacted wrs not getting open and rodgers holding the ball too long.

channtheman
11-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Did our defense get Stafford off his game to the point where he kept missing his wide open TE or did Stafford just suck? If Stafford hits those throws we probably don't have this topic.

mraynrand
11-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Did our defense get Stafford off his game to the point where he kept missing his wide open TE or did Stafford just suck? If Stafford hits those throws we probably don't have this topic.

I think it was a little of both. I've watched other games where Staff has thrown some crappy passes as well, but not that many. His footwork on some of those tosses was awful.

mission
11-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Seems like Stafford has really lowered his release point too. Sloppy mechanics all around. All the talent in the world.

They say this was tied for his worst completion percentage game of his career. That's a lot more than a "bad day". These corners!

MadtownPacker
11-20-2012, 07:31 PM
The defense is finally becoming what we always wanted. A tough group that doesnt get pushed all the way down the field. One that imposes itself on the other team's game plan. Before the D was reacting to plays, now they are making the O react to them. It feels exciting to see the Pack D on the field!!

Fritz
11-23-2012, 01:49 PM
It will be a good test on Sunday in whatever the hell the Giants' stadium now is. Is it the Meadowlands? No. With those Gints receivers wreaking havoc, it'll be important for the D-line to get some push on Manning, and for MoZombo to step up and imitate Clay Matthews as best it can.

Fritz
11-26-2012, 06:16 PM

Well it's a goddamn good thing I'm here to start threads like this to keep you people's noses on the wheel of truth. I was right.

The Packer defensive line has found its identity, anyway:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbcGaJmx45W7VKX_qQbye4vHE_OtlgJ Pv20sj_wCSqsY6i5m2o

mraynrand
11-26-2012, 11:58 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbcGaJmx45W7VKX_qQbye4vHE_OtlgJ Pv20sj_wCSqsY6i5m2o

Vikings coach?