PDA

View Full Version : Matt Flynn To Win.............Could he Net us Very Little ???

Bretsky
11-21-2012, 12:23 AM
Would anybody...well except maybe me and a few Cardinal and White Psycho Backers...............ever think the Senior QB at the UW Wisconsin would beat out what many of the homers deemed the best backup QB in the NFL ??

Would would have ever thunk'ed it ?

MY question is...................assumping Flynn rides the Pine all year..............

what does he net us in terms of the draft pick ?

I don't recall many exampled of free agents who cost seven to nine MIL a year and hardly played at all since the rule change.

I'm assuming a third and fourth is out the door...........any thoughts........or history........to estimate what we might get ?

And I understand it's an equation of our collective loss (Wells should net something decent......versus our gain..........

But any thoughts on what Flynn's loss might get us ?

My guess at this point....based on his big signing....is a pick at the end of round six

sharpe1027
11-21-2012, 05:25 AM
Salary and playing time are the main factors. A 26 million dollar contract (10 mil guaranteed) has to count for something. What other big FAs signed last off season? That should give some indication.

Patler
11-21-2012, 06:48 AM
This is a peculiar one. It was easy to not be disappointed in their inability/failure to trade him, thinking they would get one of the higher draft picks as compensation. Maybe they still will.

Flynn signs a big contract, then doesn't play.
Wells signs a big contract, then goes on IR (designated for return)
Lee signs a small contract, becomes a starter for 5 or 6 games, then is released at mid-season.

Odd year for Packer FAs, for sure.

MadScientist
11-21-2012, 09:58 AM
It won't matter, TT will go big in FA so we won't get any comp picks.

sharpe1027
11-21-2012, 10:16 AM
It won't matter, TT will go big in FA so we won't get any comp picks.

Isn't it a bit too late for that to happen?

pbmax
11-21-2012, 01:47 PM
There is one website where someone has a great track record of predicting comp picks. Now that I have teased you, I have to confess to no longer remembering where it was, nor how I got there. I would try Google if I were you. :lol:

George Cumby
11-21-2012, 07:54 PM
There is one website where someone has a great track record of predicting comp picks. Now that I have teased you, I have to confess to no longer remembering where it was, nor how I got there. I would try Google if I were you. :lol:

Age. It's a horrible thing. :grin:

pbmax
11-21-2012, 09:53 PM
http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2010/03/projecting-2010-compensatory-nfl-draft.html

That guy used to do it until 2010 and seems to have stopped though he posted through mid-summer 2012.

Lurker64
11-21-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm not actually expecting much of anything in terms of compensatory picks this year.

That's actually fine, since Ted can generate more picks if need be through his normal trading MO, and it's not like he doesn't make significant hay from UDFAs anyway (e.g. Shields, Moses, etc.)

Bretsky
11-22-2012, 04:53 AM
I want the picks
Last year having extra picks allowed Trader Ted Mode to kick in as he moved up and grabbed several players he wanted........ya.......I know.....we can't trade these specific picks..........but having them gives TT more ease in losing others to trade up.

On a sidenote, the bottom line is we didn't get jack shit offered to us for Matt Flynn and overestimated how good he is. Reality sux sometimes :)

red
11-22-2012, 08:25 AM
this is why you trade a guy instead of just relying on comp picks

we should be sitting here with a 2nd or 3rd round pick in our pocket, but instead we might get a 6th or 7th round comp pick

tag and trade baby

Guiness
11-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Except you have to be afraid of the 'tag and pay' possibility.

Seattle paid Flynn less than the franchise number. Why would they agree to give him franchise money AND give us picks?

Fritz
11-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Easy to say, hard to do.

Pugger
11-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Except you have to be afraid of the 'tag and pay' possibility.

Seattle paid Flynn less than the franchise number. Why would they agree to give him franchise money AND give us picks?

Seeing how Flynn was beat out by Wilson I think Flynn was over-valued by us and Seattle. He's one of the highest paid backups for sure.

Patler
11-23-2012, 07:05 AM
The idea of tag and trade was never likely to work simply because the combined cost would have been too much for any trade partner. The risk of being stuck with Flynn for a year at the tag value was simply too great.

If one is to fault the Packers for not trading Flynn, it would have been for a trade before or during the 2011 season. But with the Packers poised for a SB run, and being the defending SB champs with a QB having a history of concussions, I think the decision to keep Flynn for 2011 was a good one.

LegandofthePack15
11-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Seeing how Flynn was beat out by Wilson I think Flynn was over-valued by us and Seattle. He's one of the highest paid backups for sure.

Seattle might be able to score a 3rd or 4th rounder for Flynn by trading him next off-season.

mraynrand
11-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Seattle might be able to score a 3rd or 4th rounder for Flynn by trading him next off-season.

Teams are more likely to take their chances in the draft, no? They already know Flynn couldn't beat out a #75 draft pick....

pbmax
11-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Teams are more likely to take their chances in the draft, no? They already know Flynn couldn't beat out a #75 draft pick....

I am having trouble with this topic because its looks like Pete Carroll made a wise decision and not an emotional one. I am hoping its a short term aberration before I must reassess my prejudice.

mraynrand
11-23-2012, 08:41 AM
I am having trouble with this topic because its looks like Pete Carroll made a wise decision and not an emotional one. I am hoping its a short term aberration before I must reassess my prejudice.

Fear not, you can rest assured Pete had no idea that he was making a good move. In fact, I have posited that Pete was actually doing everything he could to sabotage himself; he wants back into college ball. I'm certain he is stunned that all these moves he's made to achieve that goal have backfired.

Patler
11-23-2012, 10:02 AM

Does make you wonder how much of a reputation hit he will take.

His contract is quite tradeable on both sides.
Signing bonus just $6 million, so not a huge cap hit to Seattle if they trade or release him.
$2 million guaranteed for 2013, more on incentives. Nothing guaranteed after 2013.

Fritz
11-23-2012, 10:11 AM

Signing bonus just $6 million, so not a huge cap hit to Seattle if they trade or release him.
$2 million guaranteed for 2013, more on incentives. Nothing guaranteed after 2013.

The story of Pete Carroll's coaching life: he shits all over, and comes out smelling like a rose.

channtheman
11-23-2012, 12:05 PM
The Seahawks won their division at 7-9 a couple years ago didn't they?

pbmax
11-23-2012, 12:40 PM

He'd look like Montana in Arizona if they could bolster their O line somehow.