PDA

View Full Version : Giants Discussion Trial Balloon

pbmax
11-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Packers practice today:

Jennings was full go for what the media observed (usually under 10 minutes-EDIT-looks like they got a 30 minute window today).

Matthews, Shields and Wood were out.

pbmax
11-23-2012, 01:08 PM
McCarthy at Press Conference: Jennings officially Questionable, Matthews out.

pbmax
11-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport
Jennings questionable, Manning OUT, Matthews OUT, Quarless questionable, Raji probable, Shields OUT; Woodson OUT Packers injury highlights

https://twitter.com/PackerReport/status/272051812918521856

pbmax
11-23-2012, 01:11 PM
If Quarless is active, could see return of two TE sets and make that 2 deep safety vulnerable.

Fritz
11-23-2012, 01:43 PM
If Quarless is active, could see return of two TE sets and make that 2 deep safety vulnerable.

Knowing the Packers' M.O. with injured players, I'd guess Quarless will have to wait until next week to suit up.

No Matthews again? That's three weeks now, not two. This SOB of an injury better not be lingering. Let's hope this is the mid-season break Matthews needs to come back re-energized and healthy.

Uh...is DJ Williams even still on the team? That guy fell off a cliff.

channtheman
11-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Uh...is DJ Williams even still on the team? That guy fell off a cliff.

Who?

The Shadow
11-23-2012, 07:39 PM
If the Giants do indeed sit 2 safeties back in that deep shell, I think the player they will most be concerned with in the middle will be Cobb.
Finley seems to have lost a bit of luster as the guy defensive coordinators worry about
Therefore, Finley in the middle could be the key for the Packers in this game.

Tony Oday
11-23-2012, 08:26 PM
I think CMIII is out because they dont want this to linger if we make the playoffs.

digitaldean
11-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Finley could be the key again. Unless Jennings plays, NY will just have the 2 deep safeties and will try and have us nickel/dime them and hope they can catch us in a mistake. Cobb will have the bulk of the attention since he's been the X-Factor for us lately. That's the reason Finley better not turn to mush like he has recently. Yes, he had the TD catch and the great 30 yd gain vs. Detroit, but otherwise he's been full of drops and inconsistent.
If Finley can have a bigger role and comes through, it opens up a ton of other options to exploit.
NYG's pass rush was neutralized vs. Cincy. If we play like the first 2/3 of the Detroit game, Aaron will get killed. But toward the end of the game, the newly configured line got their stuff together and contained the Detroit line, which is a lot like NYG's.

George Cumby
11-23-2012, 10:54 PM
I think CMIII is out because they dont want this to linger if we make the playoffs.

I'm with you. It seems to me that M3 holds guys back for later in the season when games really count. A loss to NY isn't great, but with four division games coming up, not critical.

Pugger
11-24-2012, 09:25 AM
I suppose if we gotta lose to these clowns I'd rather it be now than in the playoffs.

pbmax
11-24-2012, 11:08 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-rookie-tackles-adjust-to-nfl-2f7ooa9-180656601.html

McGinn on Daniels and Worthy; he does not doom and gloom them yet as he did earlier this year with Jenning's contract or the defense being "lazy".

He does note the the D line pressures have increased as have sack totals, though Daniels and Worthy don't have huge numbers in either category. Daniels is the more efficient, with tackles and pressures per snap well above Worthy. Worthy has played a ton of snaps, with a good number of them at DE, something you might not have expected to see when they set their roster for the reg season. Trgovac likes his guys.

Worthy has lost 20 pounds from his combine weight, Trgo seems to think naturally, Worthy paints it as intentional, but neither thinks its a problem. McGinn and Trgo seem to think Worthy will rebuild that weight with an NFL offseason in the weight room.

pbmax
11-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Can anyone summarize this article at Packer Report?

http://gnb.scout.com/2/1243019.html

pbmax
11-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Silverstein on Newhouse versus Jason Pierre-Paul http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/180637461.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

First meeting was all JPP (1.5 sacks, 3 QB hits, 2 hurries). Second meeting, with Clifton and Newhouse playing, JPP was much quieter with 2 tackles (none for a loss) and 1 pass defended.

In the playoff game, I remember him giving Clifton fits and Newhouse playing more steady, if that is the word. JPP was still disruptive and I would bet Rodgers feet bailed them out a bit as he ran 9 times. But the bulk of the damage was done by LB Boley (2 sacks) and Umenyiora (2 sacks). And Umenyiora often replaces JPP at RDE and would face Newhouse in pass rush situations. If healthy, JPP and Tuck usually move to DT for passing downs.

I think he (#72) might be the guy to watch.

RashanGary
11-24-2012, 12:31 PM
I think that interior of their line is going to be scary. I imagine they're going to try to get Pierre Paul and Tuck in there against EDS and Saturday quite a bit. If those two are pinning their ears back and shooting gaps, we're not going to have a whole lot of time for the slower developing interior run plays. Quick hits inside, I think we can break some big ones. Have to get to the hole before JPP and JT tackle our guy in the backfield though.

Newhouse, I think, is the least of our concerns.

As far as the DL goes, I think that week off for Worthy should really help. Also, Neal has been taking more snaps. If they lighten his load a little, he could come on as a pass rusher over the next few weeks.

These next couple weeks are going to finalize my opinion of Alex Green this year. He's back from the injury. He had the bye and another week off on top of that. If he's going to be an explosive, big play weapon, now is when we're going to see it. Hopefully his leg drive, explosiveness and speed all see subtle increases. I'd love for him to be a big 3rd down weapon for us, but that hope is starting to dwindle.

RashanGary
11-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Another thing. . . Raji has been playing so gap conscious in there. It's very rare that he does anything other than a bull rush straight up field. I'd like to see Pickett eat some of those NT reps with Wilson/Worthy and Neal splitting the base end reps. I'd like to see Raji get a few chances to shoot gaps in our nickel defense. We haven't seen him do much of that since 2010, and he was great at it when he did.

RashanGary
11-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Oh, and MM talked about Clay. He said the doctors want to make sure when he's back, he's 100% The Packers have been doing a lot of this. How often do you see a RB, WR or TE for that matter rest a turf toe long enough to be 100% ? It's rare. They let Starks get all the way back to 100%

I don't think Matthews injury is scary. The only thing scary about Matthews injury is going to be coming from the LT's who have to block him after a month of strength building in the middle of the season (when guys get worn down) He's going to come back 100% Within two or three weeks his wind will be back, and he'll be a friggin beast.

denverYooper
11-24-2012, 02:48 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-rookie-tackles-adjust-to-nfl-2f7ooa9-180656601.html

McGinn on Daniels and Worthy; he does not doom and gloom them yet as he did earlier this year with Jenning's contract or the defense being "lazy".

He does note the the D line pressures have increased as have sack totals, though Daniels and Worthy don't have huge numbers in either category. Daniels is the more efficient, with tackles and pressures per snap well above Worthy. Worthy has played a ton of snaps, with a good number of them at DE, something you might not have expected to see when they set their roster for the reg season. Trgovac likes his guys.

Worthy has lost 20 pounds from his combine weight, Trgo seems to think naturally, Worthy paints it as intentional, but neither thinks its a problem. McGinn and Trgo seem to think Worthy will rebuild that weight with an NFL offseason in the weight room.

Alfred Williams, ex Bengal/49er/Bronco/Saint and All-Pro DE, does the drive-time sports yak show here. He has mentioned on several occasions that Worthy is going to be a beast in the NFL and feels like the Broncos blew it by not picking him.

LegandofthePack15
11-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Alfred Williams, ex Bengal/49er/Bronco/Saint and All-Pro DE, does the drive-time sports yak show here. He has mentioned on several occasions that Worthy is going to be a beast in the NFL and feels like the Broncos blew it by not picking him.

Worthy has a little Suh in him. The guy is almost as undisciplined as Suh. Almost. Against Detroit, Worthy jumped offside for the millionth time on a 3rd and short situation. Late in the 4th quarter with the Packers trailing, Stafford was stopped well short of the 1st down on a crucial 3rd down; Worthy came out of nowhere and not only hit Stafford a tad late but also in the head. Packers were lucky refs didnt throw a flag.

Of course, Suh is also an extremely talented player. So its nice that Worthy has a little Suh in him. Right?

RashanGary
11-24-2012, 04:05 PM
I don't know if Suh is a great comparison. He's 2 inches taller, jumps 8 inches higher (extreme gap in explosiveness), he's quicker laterally even though he's taller. . . Suh is more beastly in every way possible.

Worthy isn't quite as tall though. Over time, he should be able to use some more natural leverage than Suh. That will come in handy as an every down player in our 3-4 defense. He also has very long arms for his height. That should help with disrupting passing lanes. He may not have the prototype height, but he does have close to prototype length.

I really don't see him being the special player Suh is, but I could see him being a big upgrade for us at 3-4 DE. Also, unlike Suh, Worthy won't get the double teams play in and play out. He has a similar skill set to Cullen Jenkins. I hope he can be a little more sound in the run game, use his length to disrupt the passing lanes a little more and still have Jenkins ability to beat a one on one pass rush. I think he's an excellent fit and looks to have the talent to be a very, very good player. Next to Matthews, he's going to be in a great spot. I just don't think you can compare him to Suh.

LegandofthePack15
11-24-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't know if Suh is a great comparison. He's 2 inches taller, jumps 8 inches higher (extreme gap in explosiveness), he's quicker laterally even though he's taller. . . Suh is more beastly in every way possible.

Worthy isn't quite as tall though. Over time, he should be able to use some more natural leverage than Suh. That will come in handy as an every down player in our 3-4 defense. He also has very long arms for his height. That should help with disrupting passing lanes. He may not have the prototype height, but he does have close to prototype length.

I really don't see him being the special player Suh is, but I could see him being a big upgrade for us at 3-4 DE. Also, unlike Suh, Worthy won't get the double teams play in and play out. He has a similar skill set to Cullen Jenkins. I hope he can be a little more sound in the run game, use his length to disrupt the passing lanes a little more and still have Jenkins ability to beat a one on one pass rush. I think he's an excellent fit and looks to have the talent to be a very, very good player. Next to Matthews, he's going to be in a great spot. I just don't think you can compare him to Suh.

Well said...I guess what I'm trying to say is, Worthy kinda have that so-called "thug" thing inside of him like Suh. Both players seem to have discipline problems, although we haven't seen Worthy kick someone in the groin...at least yet anyway. :razz:

pbmax
11-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Worthy has a little Suh in him. The guy is almost as undisciplined as Suh. Almost. Against Detroit, Worthy jumped offside for the millionth time on a 3rd and short situation. Late in the 4th quarter with the Packers trailing, Stafford was stopped well short of the 1st down on a crucial 3rd down; Worthy came out of nowhere and not only hit Stafford a tad late but also in the head. Packers were lucky refs didnt throw a flag.

Of course, Suh is also an extremely talented player. So its nice that Worthy has a little Suh in him. Right?

Worthy has 3 offside penalties, which probably leads the team and at least one of them gave up a first down. But he had scaled back his tendency to anticipate the snap until the Lions game. Don't see him as Suh but think he is a bit more nasty than the other Packer lineman.

pbmax
11-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Adam Schefter says Greg Jennings "unlikely" to play tonight.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/272719001531068416

pbmax
11-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Morten Andersen tried to get through to Crosby this week.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_22063047/green-bay-packers-mason-crosby-gets-support-from

Fritz
11-25-2012, 12:37 PM
I went onto the FF site. G-men fans seem pessimistic - defense gives up big plays, team doesn't care. They sound like . . . fans.

For those who point out that the Giants' offense hasn't been good, remember that they have played some tough defenses of late.

This will be a test for the GB offensive line. I am hoping another week on the right side will help Lang, and another full week of practice at guard will help Erectile Dysfunction-Smith.

This mgiht be the game in which the team that turns the ball over least wins.

pbmax
11-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Jennings will not be playing tonight according to Glazer.

https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/status/272760678111129600

pbmax
11-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Giants might blitz according to these numbers:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/19766/coachs-big-decision-how-to-pressure-rodgers

swede
11-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Jennings will not be playing tonight according to Glazer.

https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/status/272760678111129600

Not surprising. He seems to be making an almost miraculous recovery after surgery. No reason to rush things faster than the original timetable.

George Cumby
11-25-2012, 01:23 PM
I am strangely optimistic about this game. That being said, I was optimistic the last time these two played and we know how that played out.

If the GMen stay in their two deep shell, then Finley needs to have a big game. If he catches the ball and forces them to respond, the Pack will win. If he doesn't, I hope ARod lives to see the end of the game.

denverYooper
11-25-2012, 06:44 PM
I am strangely optimistic about this game. That being said, I was optimistic the last time these two played and we know how that played out.

If the GMen stay in their two deep shell, then Finley needs to have a big game. If he catches the ball and forces them to respond, the Pack will win. If he doesn't, I hope ARod lives to see the end of the game.

I'm with you to an extent. Except it's not really optimism, it's more of a lack of concern. Packers are still down a raft of starters, playing a rested Giants team at their place, and most of the wildcard contenders lost (SEA, TB, NO). The popular pick is for the Packers to get smoked tonight but I don't know... they seem to play pretty well in that role and their depth is playing really well.

Besides, I'm not sure which Eli is playing this year. I haven't paid much attention, really, but it looks like the one who throws a bunch of picks for one reason or another.