PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Hunting Thread

Brando19
11-24-2012, 10:13 AM
I got a nice buck yesterday morning. I seen a big buck chasing a doe about 200 yards away. I shot him running. I had to track him a few hundred yards. He's a 10 point. He'll score 140.

Brando19
11-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Anyone else have any luck?

Upnorth
11-24-2012, 07:13 PM
My neighbor showed me a set he just got that he says is 180 pts. A lot of the bucks around here are really fatty compared to most years. You seeing the same thing there?

swede
11-25-2012, 12:10 AM
I got a nice buck yesterday morning. I seen a big buck chasing a doe about 200 yards away. I shot him running. I had to track him a few hundred yards. He's a 10 point. He'll score 140.

He was running or you were running?

George Cumby
11-25-2012, 01:32 PM
My neighbor inadvertently shot a cow elk a day after the season closed. He was then cited $1200 by the Fish and Wildlife warden. LOL! Poor guy, totally thought he was in season, he felt horrible.

Brando19
11-25-2012, 03:19 PM
UpNorth...the bucks around here are pretty small this year. The acorns didn't hit too good. The deer I killed was the biggest I've seen this year...around 200 pounds.
Swede...I didn't have time to run...or think...or get nervous. I seen a rack and shot. If I would have missed...then yes...I would have ran fifty miles to try to get another shot. lol
George...that's awful and hilarious at the same time....poor guy. lol

Little Whiskey
11-25-2012, 07:40 PM
I shot a spike on the 2nd day of deer camp. we only hunted 3 days this year due to lack of guys in camp. After 3 mild winters, I expected to see alot more deer this year than in years past, but I was the only one in camp to get one. I could have had a doe on the first day, but I would have filled another guys doe tag. I didn't draw one this year.

temps were a little chilly this year. 18 degrees.

SkinBasket
11-26-2012, 09:52 AM
My brother in law shot a buck with his mosin nagant, and he's practically retarded.

swede
11-26-2012, 11:52 AM
My brother in law shot a buck with his mosin nagant, and he's practically retarded.

Well, at least he's out of his misery now.

Freak Out
11-26-2012, 12:33 PM

Did you gut shoot the fucker?

Brando19
11-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Did you gut shoot the fucker?

Hell no...I busted every major organ the deer had! He was about to mount that doe and his adrenaline was rushing and he ran far because of that. The reason I couldn't find a good blood trail is because he was bleeding internally. I took him to a taxidermist and I chose the aggressive pose for the mount. It's going to be bad ass.

Brando19
11-26-2012, 06:51 PM
How the hell do i post a picture off my computer to this site??

Freak Out
11-26-2012, 07:01 PM
As far as I know you can't.....plus we don't want to see the aggressive pose your Buck took while mounting up.

swede
11-26-2012, 07:04 PM

Run it through Photobucket or one of the other free image sites.

It is kind of funny looking back at the three hundred or so goofy images I've posted over the years.

wootah
11-27-2012, 01:28 AM
via imgur.com you can quickly upload it and then post the link here.

Little Whiskey
11-27-2012, 07:07 AM

go to your profile and click on the album on the lower left. you can upload them directly to Packerrats.

Brando19
11-27-2012, 08:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/AqdW4.jpg

Little Whiskey
11-27-2012, 09:31 PM
very nice buck brando. just a quick tip. next time push the tongue back in.

I just finished packing all my venison up. do you guys mix your grindings with burger or pork? or do you only grind the venison and mix it later(if ever)?

Brando19
11-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Thanks, Little Whiskey. I usually push the tongue back in, but I was so excited it slipped my mind this time. We mix it with burger. This year we made jerky...which is my favorite. My father in law made sausage, but I'm not a big fan of deer sausage. How about you?

GrnBay007
11-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Well at least he was having happy thoughts the last moment of his life! :(

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against hunting. It's just deer are so pretty.

wootah
11-28-2012, 06:37 AM
Well at least he was having happy thoughts the last moment of his life!

I was thinking the same thing when I saw those eyes; high as a kite!

SkinBasket
11-28-2012, 06:44 AM
It's just deer are so pretty.

Pretty like a bum's asshole. Fucking tall skanky rats with devil horns.

Upnorth
11-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Well at least he was having happy thoughts the last moment of his life! :(

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against hunting. It's just deer are so pretty.

Pretty tasty is what you mean right?

Brando19
11-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Hahahaha ha....Skin that made my day. I did that doe a favor. That big son of a bitch would have broke her back and left her to raise a fawn or two by herself.

SkinBasket
11-28-2012, 10:37 AM
So apparently the folks in Wisconsin are more outraged by a hunter killing a white deer than the government funding the killing of unborn babies. You guys are totally fucked up there.

Freak Out
11-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks, Little Whiskey. I usually push the tongue back in, but I was so excited it slipped my mind this time. We mix it with burger. This year we made jerky...which is my favorite. My father in law made sausage, but I'm not a big fan of deer sausage. How about you?

We know what you use to push the tongue back in Hillbilly. Post that picture why dontcha?

The blacktails I shoot have the best tasting backstraps ever...the rest I use for stew meat and on occasion make some kind of sausage....but I'm always leery of mixing some other beasts tainted flesh with the offering of the glorious Sitka Blacktail. Numbers were WAY down in Kodiak this year due to a massive winter kill.

Brando19
11-28-2012, 06:43 PM
We know what you use to push the tongue back in Hillbilly. Post that picture why dontcha?

The blacktails I shoot have the best tasting backstraps ever...the rest I use for stew meat and on occasion make some kind of sausage....but I'm always leery of mixing some other beasts tainted flesh with the offering of the glorious Sitka Blacktail. Numbers were WAY down in Kodiak this year due to a massive winter kill.

You'd love to see that picture wouldn't ya? You have a twisted imagination, you sick fuck.
Numbers were down here, too. We had a massive winter kill, but I'm sure it wasn't anything like Kodiak. I like deer stew, too. I tell you what's good...a little deer steak with A1 steak sauce, onions and fried potatoes...freakin awesome. There's a butcher down the road that cuts through the bone when they cut a deer up for you. It makes the deer taste like shit. I like to take my time and do it right.

George Cumby
11-28-2012, 09:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/AqdW4.jpg

Nice looking buck there, Brando. Nice work!

Not a fan of venison sausage, myself, a little dry for my tastes. I prefer a bit more fat.

Brando19
11-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Nice looking buck there, Brando. Nice work!

Not a fan of venison sausage, myself, a little dry for my tastes. I prefer a bit more fat.

Thanks, George! He's a monster buck...definitely the best I've ever killed.

Little Whiskey
11-28-2012, 10:08 PM
I've always mixed my venison with the fattiest hamburger or cheapest pork fat I can find at the store.

I've never made it into sausage myself. I've had a local guy make sausage for me and it was great! he makes sausage that cabela's sells. kinda pricey but pretty good.

Upnorth
11-29-2012, 01:01 PM
I've always mixed my venison with the fattiest hamburger or cheapest pork fat I can find at the store.

I've never made it into sausage myself. I've had a local guy make sausage for me and it was great! he makes sausage that cabela's sells. kinda pricey but pretty good.

This is what we do. I have been thinking of trying lamb which is quite greasy, but I think it would over power the deer.

SkinBasket
11-29-2012, 05:05 PM
lamb don't have much flavor as is.

Little Whiskey
11-29-2012, 06:49 PM
do you guys quarter your deer right away or let it hang for a while?

Brando19
11-29-2012, 07:25 PM
do you guys quarter your deer right away or let it hang for a while?

We usually let the deer hang over night (epecially if it's really cold outside), but we've been known to quarter the deer right away when we're craving some tenderloin.

Little Whiskey
12-01-2012, 10:24 PM
we've always taken the tenderloins out right after we've field dressed it. otherwise they get tough and dried out.

A guy was telling me how easy it is to take the skin off if you do it right away. I would think you'd have to then cut the meat and get it bagged up. true?