PDA

View Full Version : Things under the radar

denverYooper
11-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Rodgers mentioned in his postgame presser that this game caused "things that have gone under the radar" during the team's 5 game win streak to come to light? Rodgers has always been pretty careful with his words and so he has some very specific things in mind. Any guesses as to what those are?

I have 2 so far:

1.) Crosby
2.) The OL shuffle that Patler brought up in his "Is Barclay the answer" thread.

Bossman641
11-26-2012, 10:30 AM
I'd guess at:

1) The quality of the run game as he has mentioned this in past weeks (attempts are there but quality is not)
2) Practice habits of some of the younger players

red
11-26-2012, 10:53 AM
i am not about to blame crosby for missing a 55 yarder in one of the worst stadiums to kick in. the kick started fine, then you could see the wind get a hold of it or something and push it wide.

that was all on MM, that kick never should have been attempted. horrible decision. low percentage attempt even with a hot kicker, leaving the other team a short field

my problem is that we still aren't going to our bread and butter from a few years back. where's all the quick hitter plays? wheres the quick slants? it sure seems like all of our passing plays are taking forever to develop

remember everyone creaming themselves over YAC? get the ball quickly to the WR and let them make the big plays. maybe patler can help here, but i got to imagine that out YAC isn't what it use to be

George Cumby
11-26-2012, 10:57 AM
i am not about to blame crosby for missing a 55 yarder in one of the worst stadiums to kick in. the kick started fine, then you could see the wind get ahold of it or something and push it wide.

that was all on MM, that kick never should have been attempted. horrible decision. low percentage attempt even with a hot kicker, leaving the other team a short field

My thought was that MM was saying to MC "I still believe in you." Thus letting MC know that he doesn't have to worry about his six.

red
11-26-2012, 10:59 AM
My thought was that MM was saying to MC "I still believe in you." Thus letting MC know that he doesn't have to worry about his six.

still stupid

the game got out control thanks, in part, to that decision

denverYooper
11-26-2012, 11:04 AM
i am not about to blame crosby for missing a 55 yarder in one of the worst stadiums to kick in. the kick started fine, then you could see the wind get a hold of it or something and push it wide.

my problem is that we still aren't going to our bread and butter from a few years back. where's all the quick hitter plays? wheres the quick slants? it sure seems like all of our passing plays are taking forever to develop

remember everyone creaming themselves over YAC? get the ball quickly to the WR and let them make the big plays. maybe patler can help here, but i got to imagine that out YAC isn't what it use to be

Spot on. This is what I meant about Crosby, not that they should can him, just that they re-think their use right now.

Patler
11-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Rodgers has had crappy protection all year. I have mentioned time and time again that the guy rarely has a clean pocket to throw from, or the time to work his progression without having to flee for his life. Maybe that is the "under the radar" subject he was referring to.

denverYooper
11-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Rodgers has had crappy protection all year. I have mentioned time and time again that the guy rarely has a clean pocket to throw from, or the time to work his progression without having to flee for his life. Maybe that is the "under the radar" subject he was referring to.

This could very well be. I just found it interesting that he made a comment to the media last night. He usually takes most of the blame, saying that "it starts with him", he "needs to make better decisions", "needs to get rid of the ball", etc. This seemed like a veiled reference to things outside of himself. And it could be that he means exactly this -- the line and/or the gameplan are killing him right now.

Little Whiskey
11-26-2012, 11:20 AM
he might also be pointing to the number of injuries to key playmakers. it seems like half the team is on the bench in street cloths.

denverYooper
11-26-2012, 11:25 AM
he might also be pointing to the number of injuries to key playmakers. it seems like half the team is on the bench in street cloths.

Could be but I doubt it's this because there's nothing he can do about it. Unless he feels that guys like Matthews are sitting out unnecessarily long.

sharpe1027
11-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Dunno if it is related at all, but I thought it was interesting how Rodgers went out of his way to make several very visible positive interactions with Finley.

Teamcheez1
11-26-2012, 11:46 AM
I think Rodgers is fed up with a number of things:

1. OL protection is average on a good day.
2. No running game.
3. The game plan is not conducive to avoiding the hits/sacks.
4. Injuries have depleted this squad.

I think he is aware there are parts of his game that could be adjusted/improved, but he is just frustrated after the loss.

mraynrand
11-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Rodgers is just facing fact. We've all seen it. The Packers struggled to beat some pretty marginal teams. What flies under the radar sometimes is how bad you get when you lose even a few key parts. Shields, Jennings and Matthews are real difference makers at their respective positions. And the loss of Bulaga has resulted in making two spots on the O-line very weak. Saturday was already just so-so, and Outhouse is marginal. The O-line now has but one solid position. It's a total disaster.

Freak Out
11-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Sorry guys....but none of those problems can be classified as "under the radar". :)

George Cumby
11-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Rodgers is just facing fact. We've all seen it. The Packers struggled to beat some pretty marginal teams. What flies under the radar sometimes is how bad you get when you lose even a few key parts. Shields, Jennings and Matthews are real difference makers at their respective positions. And the loss of Bulaga has resulted in making two spots on the O-line very weak. Saturday was already just so-so, and Outhouse is marginal. The O-line now has but one solid position. It's a total disaster.

Rand, you're going all chicken-little here. This, clearly, is an unmitigated disaster, not a TOTAL disaster. Total would be 0-16.

Seriously.

mraynrand
11-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Rand, you're going all chicken-little here. This, clearly, is an unmitigated disaster, not a TOTAL disaster. Total would be 0-16.

Seriously.

OK, but I was just talking about the O-line there - and only against decent teams. The line will likely struggle against the Vikings next week, but due to Viking offensive suckitude, the Packers will probably win a relatively close game, much like Jags/Cardinal games.

pbmax
11-26-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm with Freak Out, what exactly could be under the radar about this offense? In their one shining offensive moment this year, the Texans blitzed and played man. Everyone else is playing deep while mixing in a lot of coverages underneath. For instance, the play Collingsworth highlighted showed zone in the middle and Rodgers choosing not to throw, but at other times, Finley was covered by a LB. Cobb saw a lot of man coverage.

If it isn't protection, then its play design or execution. It infrequently seems like the Packers (outside of Nelson's TD) had a good play called for the defense they saw. My money would be on defenses coming up with wholesale alterations to their D gameplan when facing the Packers O.

pbmax
11-26-2012, 01:04 PM
What about chip help with DEs rarely (can't say never as they chipped the Colts I believe) being in the game plan from the start? M3 has done it with particular problems before (Allen and Peppers) but only a few times for Newhouse last night.

sharpe1027
11-26-2012, 03:32 PM
How about this for something that might be under the radar:

The receivers not making the correct reads on their routes. I've heard nothing about this (under the radar). This might explain a few of the times where Rodgers ends up holding the ball too long, nobody is open in part because they aren't making the proper reads and running the correct routes.

Freak Out
11-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Bossman mentioned practice effort....Cobb also said after the game that the effort levels of some players were not there on game day. When you can't get motivated to get ready for a national game against the team that beat your ass in the playoffs you got problems.

denverYooper
11-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Maybe they need some Adderall to get their focus back.