PDA

View Full Version : Jennings back this week

Tony Oday
11-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Saw it on Foxsports.com, I didn't know we actually got guys BACK from the injured list :)

woodbuck27
11-28-2012, 10:04 AM
I hope that news is correct Tony Oday.

GO PACKERS !

denverYooper
11-28-2012, 10:20 AM
2 man is solved!

I keed, I keed.

Pugger
11-28-2012, 11:06 AM
If any team needed some good news for a change it was US!

sharpe1027
11-28-2012, 11:11 AM
This can only help. Cobb has been outstanding, but he has not yet shown the ability to get open deep. Jennings gives them another deep threat opposite Jordy.

denverYooper
11-28-2012, 11:17 AM
This can only help. Cobb has been outstanding, but he has not yet shown the ability to get open deep. Jennings gives them another deep threat opposite Jordy.

I think the other thing is, as pb has mentioned, Jennings *might* be a better hand on the hot adjustments right now.

pittstang5
11-28-2012, 11:26 AM
If Jennings can help the o-line, as funny as that may sound, I'm all for it.

mmmdk
11-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Great, glad GJ is back! But what about Clay & Shields? The GB OL is shot and the sooner that Stubby adjusts this fact into the playcalling then we might still catch the Bears for the NFC North crown. 'Cos it's the only title we can achieve this season yet I'll take it - plus a win at Lambeau in the play offs is our "SB"!

denverYooper
11-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Saw it on Foxsports.com, I didn't know we actually got guys BACK from the injured list :)

Maybe they were actually saying that Jennings has a back injury not that Jennings is back from injury... ;)

red
11-28-2012, 04:09 PM
i'll believe this when i see it. this is like the 8th time this year that we heard jennings might/will be back this week

RashanGary
11-28-2012, 05:43 PM
It's been said, and I think it makes a lot of sense, that Jennings is one of the best there is at beating press coverage. He can get off the line with the best of them and still run a good route.

The way teams have been playing us, Jennings should be a real weapon. Both him and Cobb in the slot would be hard to cover too.

This is a little far fetched, but I'm all for Cobb being more of a running back than WR. He's the only guy we have who can consistently hit the open crease and also the only guy who can really break a tackle (Nelson too, but he's strictly a WR)

He's not big, but he runs hard and has great vision. If you want to win the SB, sometimes you can't be as afraid of injury. It's like a running QB. IMO, in the playoffs, you let him loose. I think it would be wise to let Cobb loose. Jennings, Jones and Nelson are fine as WR's. We simply don't have a RB.

Just a thought. . .

rbaloha1
11-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Maybe Finley gets it going.

pbmax
11-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Jennings is simply more effective in the middle of the field than Nelson or Jones. He might not be Finley's equal when Finley is coherent, but we all know where that stands. Cobb simply doesn't run routes that threaten safeties, he seems only to bother LBs.

I'd be happy if he is the fourth receiver and is out there only for most obvious passing plays.

RashanGary
11-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Jennings is simply more effective in the middle of the field than Nelson or Jones. He might not be Finley's equal when Finley is coherent, but we all know where that stands. Cobb simply doesn't run routes that threaten safeties, he seems only to bother LBs.

I'd be happy if he is the fourth receiver and is out there only for most obvious passing plays.

I'm with this too. . . . . Just out of curiosity, I'd like to see the Packers give Cobb a few carries this week, just see how he does.

pbmax
11-28-2012, 11:03 PM
You know who this team's passing game misses most?

Donald Driver. Driver could beat a CB deep and catch a ball one handed when young and spry, but as an oldster he made his living chewing up yardage after a short throw against a variety of coverages because his QB knew he would at least get his hands on the ball and prevent INTs.

Now Donald might not be the threat he once was (I wonder if we might see him?) so we might need to bring in a player familiar with the system, smart enough to find the holes in a zone and old/wise enough to know there isn't a starting role available and no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

We need to sign one of the following: Don Beebe, maybe Andre Rison, old version Antonio Freeman, maybe Charles Jordan, Ruvell Martin, Terry Glenn, Koren Robinson or Taco Walace.

There it is. A plan. Its bold and its cheap. The best of both worlds.

woodbuck27
11-29-2012, 07:07 AM
You know who this team's passing game misses most?

Donald Driver. Driver could beat a CB deep and catch a ball one handed when young and spry, but as an oldster he made his living chewing up yardage after a short throw against a variety of coverages because his QB knew he would at least get his hands on the ball and prevent INTs.

Now Donald might not be the threat he once was (I wonder if we might see him?) so we might need to bring in a player familiar with the system, smart enough to find the holes in a zone and old/wise enough to know there isn't a starting role available and no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

We need to sign one of the following: Don Beebe, maybe Andre Rison, old version Antonio Freeman, maybe Charles Jordan, Ruvell Martin, Terry Glenn, Koren Robinson or Taco Walace.

or ........ we could hope that DD returns ASAP and that MM uses him as a possession receiver. Gives him more than one or two looks a game. If MM favours a spread offense early in a game what's wrong with utilizing the DD option. Damn it MM seems to get the fricken blinders on and if his 'simple plan' doesn't show results he freezes.

We need to see MM make use of 'his team'.

GO PACKERS !

Pugger
11-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Good lord, just we get Jennings back and now we have to add Wilson to the list of guys out this week. Damnation, can't we ever get a stinkin' break from all of these injuries??? :doh:

pbmax
11-29-2012, 09:59 AM
And the adjustment begins:

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20121128/PKR01/121128069/Green-Bay-Packers-to-tweak-offensive-strategy-to-protect-QB-Aaron-Rodgers?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Now the article doesn't go into great detail and takes Rodgers comments plus McCarthy's accepting of blame Sunday/Monday to mean that they will react to protection issues as they did once before. There is a lack of specifics here and direct sources, but Dougherty usually doesn't go out on a limb like McGinn.

sharpe1027
11-29-2012, 10:08 AM
I wonder what the delay was in making these changes. Was MM reluctant to make the changes because he thought he could exploit the defenses using longer routes or more WRs?

run pMc
11-29-2012, 10:19 AM

Pure genius.

pbmax
11-29-2012, 11:01 AM
I wonder what the delay was in making these changes. Was MM reluctant to make the changes because he thought he could exploit the defenses using longer routes or more WRs?

I think its a small window into McCarthy's approach to football. A few bad results or injuries aren't going to knock him off his plan to play football they way he intends.

Faced with multiple terrible results threatening his QB, including one of the worst (Giants) plus season-ending injuries and no help in sight (Sherrod and apparent belief that Barclay/Lang would not be a net gain over Lang/EDS) might eventually move him to alter the approach.

He's clearly stubborn and willing to risk that his asst. coaches can get starter level performances from backups. This has worked a number of times (2007 and Super Bow year) and failed twice (2009 and current). I take it basically as a good sign that there is no panic and the expectation is high. While of course I argue for alterations and changes after every blown play, as a leader of a complex organization, its probably better that he lean to stubborn than go the Andy Reid route in Philly (defensive side anyway).

I always thought the "Pittsburgh tough" adjective Thompson used was a poor choice in introducing or describing his choice for Head Coach. Seemed forced, unfamiliar and not particularly related to being a good football coach. But I think we all know what he meant now. Stubby is kind of doughy on the outside, but he is clearly built from sterner stuff.

I admire that, as much as I want to curse the gameplan for the last two games. My last two cents are that Starks, protection issue or no, should start on 1st and 2nd down and Green can be 3rd down back. That is all.

pbmax
11-29-2012, 11:07 AM
wrong thread

sharpe1027
11-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Pb, great post. Giving up on your game plan too soon can be as bad a move as refusing to change. Moreover, the reality is that sometimes neither option is going to win the game and the coach will be criticized either way.

I thought Green has some good runs against the Giants, but Starks has been better. I don't mind seeing Green on early downs sometimes as he seems to be slowing improving and it also gives them a better receiving/screen threat, but agree that Starks should be in there most of the time in running situations.