PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City Chief's player commits suicide

Brando19
12-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Apparantly a Chiefs player killed his girlfriend at their home and then commited suicide at the Chiefs practice facility. They're not releasing names at this time, but they've called a player meeting to address the situation. Very sad situation.

Brando19
12-01-2012, 10:23 AM
http://www.tmz.com/2012/12/01/kc-chiefs-player-kills-gf-self-shooting/

TMZ is reporting it's linebacker Jovan Belcher, but police haven't confirmed.

mmmdk
12-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Tragedy and, yes, very sad.

Tony Oday
12-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Sad for the girl that died and the people that survived but the asshole that did this should burn in Hell.

pbmax
12-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Panthers have been told to travel for game. Holy crap that's going to be tough for the Chiefs.

mraynrand
12-01-2012, 11:28 AM
A woman clubbed her two year old to death the other day, triple-bagged him, tossed him in the dumpster, and then told police that he was abducted from the playground. Five people were shot outside a nightclub, the other night and they brought the one guy's head into the ER in a bucket. And that's just a part of the action. People get killed all the time; so what if it's a bastard NFL player?

Brando19
12-01-2012, 12:35 PM
A woman clubbed her two year old to death the other day, triple-bagged him, tossed him in the dumpster, and then told police that he was abducted from the playground. Five people were shot outside a nightclub, the other night and they brought the one guy's head into the ER in a bucket. And that's just a part of the action. People get killed all the time; so what if it's a bastard NFL player?

This is a NFL forum....DUH

woodbuck27
12-01-2012, 12:43 PM

myraynrand your 'out of line' and an insult to this forum for your tone in this stupid ... NO ! STUPID !!!... post.

This is but one thing. A tragedy for too many to have to bear up under.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/12/01/kansas-city-chiefs-player-involved-in-double-shooting-police/

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Javon Belcher kills girlfriend, himself in murder-suicide

Note: ** Javon Belcher played for the University of Maine Black Bears and was eligible for the 2009 draft.

** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jovan_Belcher

Our own *** Jerron McMillan was also 'a Black Bear'.

*** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerron_McMillian

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-01-2012, 01:19 PM

I wonder what caused him to do this though? There has to be a back story. Either way it is a horrible act and I feel bad for all parties involved. I wouldn't go as far as saying "bastard NFL player," but people are dying everyday and they barely make the news.

Joemailman
12-01-2012, 01:22 PM
http://www.charter.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CDA2T3Q1G0%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1013&page=1

"The description matched the suspect description from that other address. We kind of knew what we were dealing with," Snapp said. The player was "holding a gun to his head" as he stood in front of the front doors of the practice facility. "And there were Pioli and Crennel and another coach or employee was standing outside and appeared to be talking to him. It appeared they were talking to the suspect," Snapp said. "The suspect began to walk in the opposite direction of the coaches and the officers and that's when they heard the gunshot. It appears he took his own life."

Snapp described the girlfriend as in her early 20s and that she and the player had a child together. He said the woman's mother told police they had recently been arguing.

It appears from this and other articles, that he went to the practice facility to thank the coaches for all they had done for him, and pulled the trigger when the police showed up. He also orphaned his child with the shootings.

Not sure how the Chiefs play a football game tomorrow under these circumstances, but all reports are that they will.

red
12-01-2012, 02:09 PM
its a fucked up world

woodbuck27
12-01-2012, 02:23 PM
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/football/bc-lions/Kansas+City+Chiefs+Jovan+Belcher+kills/7639115/story.html

Kansas City Chiefs' Jovan Belcher kills girlfriend, then self: Police

By Dave Skretta, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS ...... December 1, 2012 2:14 PM ET

mmmdk
12-01-2012, 03:04 PM
its a fucked up world

When you say 'world', do you mean America or the whole fracking world or, lastly, the world sans America?

A lot of killing going on; yet some places/countries have more killings than other. Where I live there's an average of app. 47 murders per year (5,3 mill. people) the last 10 years and has been declining steadily.

red, you got stats for murders per year in America? And what's the development?

pbmax
12-01-2012, 03:47 PM

So they should pass on without notice? How about agate type listings in the Garbage Can?

mraynrand
12-01-2012, 05:25 PM
So they should pass on without notice? How about agate type listings in the Garbage Can?

No, but the breathlessness of it gets to me. As thought KC should come to a halt because an NFL player killed someone and offed himself.

mraynrand
12-01-2012, 05:27 PM
myraynrand your 'out of line' and an insult to this forum for your tone in this stupid ... NO ! STUPID !!!... post.

blow it out your bagpipes

pbmax
12-01-2012, 05:47 PM
No, but the breathlessness of it gets to me. As thought KC should come to a halt because an NFL player killed someone and offed himself.

Tough to say KC should shut down. But I would understand if the Chiefs players and coaches wanted nothing to do with a game tomorrow. Did the strip club reopen the next night?

Old School
12-01-2012, 05:58 PM
My heart goes out to the child that faces life without parents. That's got to be 3rd and long.

hoosier
12-01-2012, 07:27 PM

Did the surgeons manage to reattach the head?

Mazzin
12-01-2012, 07:29 PM
I do feel bad for the poor child, but if they wear his number on their helmets, or do a moment of silence for HIM, or anything of the sort; I will be throughly disgusted, filthy p.o.s. Now I'm sure there is some bs story about why he did it and blah blah blah, but case closed he is, or was a peice of crap.

digitaldean
12-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Who knows maybe some thing snapped, but to off your girlfriend? And then yourself without thinking of your little girl? Either came unhinged mentally or is a reals POS. sounds like the KC team captains and coaches agreed to continue with game. Though I 'd find it difficult to do it, maybe that's their way of dealing with a horrific situation. Got to feel most for the little girl and her grandmother who witnessed her daughter being shot. Also Crennel and Pioli, witnessing the guy offing himself in front of them. Just horrible....

Freak Out
12-01-2012, 08:55 PM
This is fucked up on so many levels.

LegandofthePack15
12-01-2012, 11:38 PM
When you say 'world', do you mean America or the whole fracking world or, lastly, the world sans America?

A lot of killing going on; yet some places/countries have more killings than other. Where I live there's an average of app. 47 murders per year (5,3 mill. people) the last 10 years and has been declining steadily.

red, you got stats for murders per year in America? And what's the development?

Check out the "Worse Than I Thought" thread in FYI.

LegandofthePack15
12-01-2012, 11:42 PM
I do feel bad for the poor child, but if they wear his number on their helmets, or do a moment of silence for HIM, or anything of the sort; I will be throughly disgusted, filthy p.o.s. Now I'm sure there is some bs story about why he did it and blah blah blah, but case closed he is, or was a peice of crap.

Agreed.

Jimx29
12-02-2012, 02:30 AM
The only thing as disgusting as what this coward did is the NFL pushing to still play this game today. Completely classless move.

woodbuck27
12-02-2012, 08:04 AM
The only thing as disgusting as what this coward did is the NFL pushing to still play this game today. Completely classless move.

In fact it was the KC Chief players 'Captains'; that voted to go on with this scheduled game NOT the NFL. I just heard this fact this morning on NFL Access.

This fact in no manner condones the act of violence moreso the horrendous act of murder this is a tragic story on so many levels and again will raise the issue of handgun ownership; but the reports are that this former KC defensive player was very well liked in the Chiefs locker room. The facts reveal that he showed up as a regular contributor playing every game since the opening of the 2009 season.

How the Kansas City Chiefs, And NFL, Are Coping With Tragedy

By Sean Gregory ... Dec. 02, 2012

Read more:

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2012/12/02/how-the-kansas-city-chiefs-and-nfl-are-coping-with-tragedy/

Javon was a happy, proud father, with pictures of his baby on his Facebook page. This is shocking. Something went crazy wrong, and we’ll probably never know what it is …

Never until four hours ago did I think Jovan was anything but a model citizen,” Linta said. “He came to my youth clinics in the offseason and worked with kids. He was a gracious, unselfish, hard-working, dedicated kid — very, very caring of some of the underprivileged kids who came to the clinics. I saw him in a real positive way.

I never take on anyone as a client I wouldn’t be proud to take home and spend time with my wife and kids. Jovan was one of those type of people.

There’s no word for this other than shocking. That’s all I can think of.

Kiwon
12-02-2012, 08:52 AM
I wonder what caused him to do this though? There has to be a back story. Either way it is a horrible act and I feel bad for all parties involved. I wouldn't go as far as saying "bastard NFL player," but people are dying everyday and they barely make the news.

At the risk of being pilloried by the enlightened amoral Rats here, dare I say it doesn't help someone to learn to respect women when he incessantly hears them called "bitches" in song and in everyday speech? Same thing with the 'N' word? Who are the worst offenders?

No worries. Belcher didn't repeatedly shoot his 22-year old wife; he shot his live-in "baby momma." That makes the crime one degree lower on the heinous chart, right?

swede
12-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Sorry, but I get sick of media and media-heads trying to make themselves seem noble and wise by paying any more attention than necessary to this sad, small incident that is of no concern to any of us--unless we happen to be family or neighbor that can help the child and the surviving families.

pbmax
12-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Sorry, but I get sick of media and media-heads trying to make themselves seem noble and wise by paying any more attention than necessary to this sad, small incident that is of no concern to any of us--unless we happen to be family or neighbor that can help the child and the surviving families.

If you can find a way to get Nancy Grace off the air, I am all for it.

But an NFL murder-suicide the day before a game? If I were you I would not turn into anything pre game or even before kickoff in the game. Everyone will want to express their humanity, the revulsion and empathize with the child. Its like a big, fat piƱata in front of the teleprompter.

pbmax
12-02-2012, 09:27 AM
At the risk of being pilloried by the enlightened amoral Rats here, dare I say it doesn't help someone to learn to respect women when he incessantly hears them called "bitches" in song and in everyday speech? Same thing with the 'N' word? Who are the worst offenders?

No worries. Belcher didn't repeatedly shoot his 22-year old wife; he shot his live-in "baby momma." That makes the crime one degree lower on the heinous chart, right?

Maybe if the NFL enforced a dress code on off days and added no tattoo language to the CBA things would look up as well?

Kiwon, I trust your intentions are honorable, but to reduce this to that aspect of popular culture is a bit, ah, reductive, isn't it? Kind of the equivalent of saying that if guns weren't so easily available, this would have been less likely to be lethal?

KYPack
12-02-2012, 09:37 AM
For those who need more "NFL-Packer" connection to this crime, Jeff Ash reports that Jovan Belcher, dead in yesterday's KC murder-suicide, was college teammate of Packers S Jerron McMillian at Maine in 2008.

Rand, your comment was bazoots.

woodbuck27
12-02-2012, 09:37 AM

Some here are NFL football fans and Green Bay Packer fans and a tragedy such as this has a more or less effect on us as we become aware of the facts.

My lady and I got onto this story as it was posted 'out of the gate'. We're both NFL fans and pay attention to all NFL news as we find time to do so.

News such as this elicits all sorts of resposes. From the most compassionate 'in terms of the people directly involved'; to shocking remarks that demonstrate the coldness, crudeness and ignorance of some people. It takes all kinds to make our world.

pbmax
12-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Freeman says the players wanted to play, at least that's what the Player Reps told the Union and that was passed from Smith to Goodell.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21220731/agree-or-not-chiefs-want-to-play-sunday-in-wake-of-belcher-murder-suicide

Joemailman
12-02-2012, 11:27 AM
A friend of Belcher's says he was suffering from short term memory loss since his last game. It's speculation at this point, but the subject of concussions could possibly be a subject raised in this tragedy. http://deadspin.com/5964917/friend-jovan-belcher-was-dazed-suffering-from-short+term-memory-loss-after-last-game-drinking-pain-medication-domestic-tensions-played-role-in-shootings

mraynrand
12-02-2012, 11:30 AM
For those who need more "NFL-Packer" connection to this crime, Jeff Ash reports that Jovan Belcher, dead in yesterday's KC murder-suicide, was college teammate of Packers S Jerron McMillian at Maine in 2008.

Rand, your comment was bazoots.

If by bazoots, you mean tired of the slaughter and the overwhelming selective attention to celebrity, I agree with you.

mraynrand
12-02-2012, 11:36 AM

If the concussion angle has merit, then it's very much generally important. If this guy was a nice decent guy who went off because of a concussion, it's worthy of every attention they (the media) give it. If they use the concussion angle as an excuse to cover for a piece of shit loser, I hope they all die and are buried in cat excrement.

pbmax
12-02-2012, 12:08 PM
If the concussion angle has merit, then it's very much generally important. If this guy was a nice decent guy who went off because of a concussion, it's worthy of every attention they (the media) give it. If they use the concussion angle as an excuse to cover for a piece of shit loser, I hope they all die and are buried in cat excrement.

The concussion angle will be tough to parse through. He's young enough that any physical evidence of trauma in his brain will be limited. Someone shared a story about PTSD in the comments to the Deadspin article that at least provided some context to a family tragedy with a relative committing a murder after serving overseas. I suspect there will be a conspicuous lack of any such info or diagnosis about Belcher, although, he did apparently sit out one game in November that the articles' source links to hits in a previous game.

Mazzin
12-02-2012, 01:55 PM
To say the music that we listen to in society plays a role in this, that is completely insane. So did EVERYONE in the 70's and 80's do pshycadelics? I doubt it. It's just music. People that say music and video games are what are doing it to this generation are idiotic. It's all the lame things such as Adderall, ect. that everyone gives to their child, compounded with the fact that EVERYONE in our society wants all the newest, greatest things, NOW, and they get it. None of this would be relivient to this case though, I highly doubt he went loco, and shot his baby momma and himself; because "Bands were making her dance" or because of "bitch this, or hoe that" Why do people do what they do? everyone is different and now that its over there will never be able to figure that out.

Joemailman
12-02-2012, 03:48 PM
In another tragedy, a Cleveland Browns emplayoyee was found hanged in an apparent suicide at the team's practice facility.

woodbuck27
12-02-2012, 04:28 PM
A friend of Belcher's says he was suffering from short term memory loss since his last game. It's speculation at this point, but the subject of concussions could possibly be a subject raised in this tragedy. http://deadspin.com/5964917/friend-jovan-belcher-was-dazed-suffering-from-short+term-memory-loss-after-last-game-drinking-pain-medication-domestic-tensions-played-role-in-shootings

There we go.

Here's a young man with all you might ask for with a solid career so far in the NFL and a girlfriend and a child he adores. A person who knows him extremely well is absolutely shocked that he murdered his girlfriend and commited suicide and left his 3 month old child (whom he adored) an orphan. This person 'only' observed the benevolent personality of Javon Belcher. Saw his need to assist or help those less fortunate.

Here's a young NFL player that is respected by his teammates as a contributor on the field and have issued a positive response to him in the team's locker room. He was well liked.

Here's a young man that by reports doesn't shoot his girlfriend and murder her but by reports, shoots here several times.

He then drives to Arrowhead Stadium and before an audience of his GM and HC and another. THANKS them for all they did for him. Then he shoots himself.

Is there a logical explanation for all of this. We may never know but it must, in the best interests of the NF,L be carefully examined

sheepshead
12-02-2012, 04:40 PM
The guys a cold blooded murderer. The fact that he whacked himself is secondary.

pbmax
12-02-2012, 04:53 PM
In another tragedy, a Cleveland Browns emplayoyee was found hanged in an apparent suicide at the team's practice facility.

That's just terrible.

Freak Out
12-02-2012, 05:26 PM
I was surprised to see the guys locker still intact in a KC post game interview.....almost shrine like....the coward murdered his girlfriend and then offed himself....get rid of the shit.

Freak Out
12-02-2012, 05:29 PM

I think it was his continued Adderall use.

woodbuck27
12-02-2012, 05:33 PM

Cleveland Browns ** employee commits suicide at team headquarters

By Brian McIntyre | Shutdown Corner – 4 hours ago

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/browns-employee-commits-suicide-team-headquarters-191327894--nfl.html

** It appears as if this victim of suicide is a Cleveland Browns grounds keeper. It's that time of year. So many suicides nearing and after the holiday Season.

mraynrand
12-02-2012, 08:28 PM
To cap an emotional and informative opening segment to Football Night in America, Peter King of Sports Illustrated supplied some new details regarding Saturday’s tragic events in Kansas City.

Citing a source close to law enforcement on the scene, King explained that Jovan Belcher and Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli separately arrived at the parking lot outside the team’s facility, at approximately 8:00 a.m. local time. Pioli noticed that Belcher seemed very upset. Police say Pioli tried to calm him down.

At the same time, a Chiefs security officer saw that Belcher had a gun in his possession. The security officer called police.

During a short conversation, Belcher thanked Pioli for giving him an opportunity as an undrafted free agent from Maine in 2009. Belcher then asked Pioli to call coach Romeo Crennel and defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs so that he could thank them, too.

Crennel and Gibbs came outside, and Belcher thanked them profusely. He wasn’t willing to talk to them or to be reasoned with. Instead, he repeatedly thanked them.

“I wasn’t able able to reach the young man,” Crennel told King after the game, but Crennel declined to be specific about what Belcher had said.

Belcher then turned around, began to walk away and shot himself in the head.

Prayers to Romeo et. al. - that's just hell to go through. Romeo's not much of a head coach, but he's a helluva nice guy. That will stick with him forever, I can tell you that for certain.

Kiwon
12-03-2012, 03:13 AM
Maybe if the NFL enforced a dress code on off days and added no tattoo language to the CBA things would look up as well?

Kiwon, I trust your intentions are honorable, but to reduce this to that aspect of popular culture is a bit, ah, reductive, isn't it? Kind of the equivalent of saying that if guns weren't so easily available, this would have been less likely to be lethal?

Yes, Yes and No, No.

I put my full reply in FYI, the free speech zone of PR.

No need to muck up the football forum.

Kiwon
12-03-2012, 03:15 AM
Prayers to Romeo et. al. - that's just hell to go through. Romeo's not much of a head coach, but he's a helluva nice guy. That will stick with him forever, I can tell you that for certain.

I was very impressed with his candor and demeanor at the post-game presser. He's a leader of men and it shows.

pbmax
12-03-2012, 09:38 AM
I was very impressed with his candor and demeanor at the post-game presser. He's a leader of men and it shows.

It was a fantastic performance, using performance to describe it advisedly. I would not have been able to be that composed.

swede
12-03-2012, 12:07 PM

I'll agree with PB here. I did see the applicable minute or so, and Crennel blended sincerity and compassion with a perfectly pitched message. I am on record saying that I despise the media-heads weighing in on the matter, but Romeo did need to say something, and what he said put everything into perspective, including his own pain and the pain that will echo on in the daughter and the families left behind.

woodbuck27
12-03-2012, 12:11 PM

Nice post. :?

swede
12-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Not as fizzy.

woodbuck27
12-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Yes..... Romeo Crennel is solid as a locker room leader. That win by the Chiefs is one I'll never forget.

How often in sports do we see a performance by a team, that under very difficult circumstances defy's reason in terms of how could that team get it done! A wonderful team win for 'the Chiefs' in a season of losing.

George Cumby
12-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Whitlock's essay on this mess:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jovan-belcher-kansas-city-chiefs-murder-suicide-tragedy-girlfriend-self-leave-orphan-daughter-why-still-playing-sunday-120112

I go back and forth on JW, sometimes he's spot on, sometimes he's off in left field. In this one, he's more or less spot on calling out Goodell for lacking the moral courage to cancel the game. Sacrifices to the football gods is also a good one.

swede
12-03-2012, 03:36 PM
What was the downside to playing the game? Seriously. Who was harmed, damaged, or disrespected by playing? What practical point would have been made by canceling an NFL game because the team's coaches had been emotionally wrecked by witnessing the violent end of a player's life? Playing the game was a healthier activity than moping in the dark.

Romeo Crennel said it best: they are football players and football coaches and they play on Sundays.

If you could save a life by not playing a game then don't play the game.

If you could save some feelings by not playing a game than you should play the game.

It would be interesting to hear some non-squishy reasons not to have played the game. A lot of businesses depend, critically, on game day revenue.

I offer you the story of the man at a Packer playoff game sitting next to an empty seat. A fellow fan noted the vacant spot and asked about it. The man said that the seat had belonged to his wife for thirty years until she had passed away. The fellow fan expressed condolences and then wondered why some other friend or family member hadn't taken the seat. "They're all at the funeral," explained the man.

Life goes on.

pbmax
12-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Life will go on. But if businesses really depend on having every seat filled, then the guy with season tickets should have brought someone to the game to provide some fiscal stimulus and some cheering :)

But there are no non-squishy reasons to not play the game. It depends on how those involved wish to grieve, if they are grieving at all. For some, perhaps the majority, playing the game was the best palliative. Others might have wished to be elsewhere. Was the game a sellout for live attendance? Chiefs fans are hardcore so I doubt there was any chance of blackout (and Saturday was too late to have an effect this week anyway), but haven't seen turnstile numbers.

How would I react? I would prefer to be down at the morgue putting a few more rounds into the idiot that did this than at the game*. Though if I knew him and he was a teammate, I might think differently. They left his locker intact at least for this game.

*Not meant to be a truthful statement, just a tempting option.

Kiwon
12-03-2012, 07:28 PM
PB,

How serious is the concussion angle related to Belcher's actions? Is this media opportunism or did the Chiefs cover something up?

My bet would be on the former, of course.

mraynrand
12-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Nice post. :?

blow it out your bilge pumps

pbmax
12-03-2012, 08:46 PM
PB,

How serious is the concussion angle related to Belcher's actions? Is this media opportunism or did the Chiefs cover something up?

My bet would be on the former, of course.

No idea and like I said earlier about the soldier and PTSD (in whose case there was ample evidence of his struggles), there is probably a distinct lack of medical evidence in Belcher's case. And that doesn't even cover what we don't know about the damage's effect on such a young guy.

There is information (the Deadspin article is from a friend of Belcher or at least the family) that he also had trouble with short term memory. The informant goes to great lengths to report that there was trouble more serious and earlier than the dispute about the night out. Its possible that might be discernible if others witnessed his difficulty. Could it be related to a concussion? No idea, though it is one of the symptoms generally.

There is a date problem too. That Deadspin article says he had the head injuries in early Nov and then missed a game 2 weeks later. Perhaps the Chiefs had a bye week? If not, why was he cleared to play in the interim? If he suffered from two separate incidents, then there may be more medical information available but then there are more questions about whether he was fully healthy before he was cleared to play again.

woodbuck27
12-03-2012, 11:52 PM
blow it out your bilge pumps

Needing attention?

Freak Out
12-04-2012, 12:35 AM
If the guy was having issues with his health...plus was abusing drugs and booze..how do the Chiefs not see this? Was he in counseling that we know of?

pbmax
12-04-2012, 12:40 AM
If the guy was having issues with his health...plus was abusing drugs and booze..how do the Chiefs not see this? Was he in counseling that we know of?

I think Quinn answered this in his comments. People ask, but aren't really interested in the answer. Diagnosing something this complex is not something teams are used to dealing with. With problematic players, it takes a string of incidents to get team's to wise up. I have not seen any mention of trouble with Belcher other than his health (recent concussion) during his pro career and his college coach said he had some non-specific immaturity issues. However, he graduated early from college so he must have turned that around (or it was not much of a hindrance).

Not sure there was enough for a typical NFL team to get a handle on. We may learn more.

I suspect, like in game concussions, teams's simply aren't equipped to act until its obvious and cannot be ignored.