PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers vs. Vikings Gameday Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

ThunderDan
12-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Bears winning would help solidify the Packers wild card situation, so it's not all bad if the Bears win.

Aren't we 2 games ahead in the wild race no matter what?

pbmax
12-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Urlacher limping

pbmax
12-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Aren't we 2 games ahead in the wild race no matter what?

Not if Seachickens win.

Bossman641
12-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Come on Seattle!!! Punch it in there

pbmax
12-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Calvin Johnson rule?

pittstang5
ouch! that's gonna leave a mark

gbgary
guy yanking on rice. Geesh!

pittstang5
Yep, that's a TD

pittstang5
12-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Calvin Johnson rule?

Nope, he had possesion before breaking the plane. Calvin Johnson - need to maintain possesion when going down...in the end zone.

gbgary
12-02-2012, 03:21 PM
good win by sea!

woodbuck27
12-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Seattle looked awesome in OT winning the coin toss and with Russel Wilson showing such composure to end it on a pass to S. Rice who was clocked at the goal line but had a solid possession.

Packers are now in first place in the NFCN. Amazing how quick it can turn around. We'll move up from 9th in the NFL POWER RANKING after this big win. A win that certainly wasn't obvious until play after Mason Crosby's FG.

ThunderDan
12-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Not if Seachickens win.

Also TB needs to win. MINN dropped to 6-6.

Joemailman
12-02-2012, 03:25 PM
http://bitterborderbattle.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/bears-still-suck-npl.gif
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2793732507/13262f5d08f22d3a2895294a454fa92c.jpeg

gbgary
12-02-2012, 03:25 PM
ind going for the win over det...

gbgary
12-02-2012, 03:27 PM
stl going for the win over sf...

gbgary
12-02-2012, 03:31 PM
lol...ind win!!

pittstang5
12-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Holy crap! # 11 for colts walks into end zone. Unreall football SUnday!

pbmax
12-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Does Coby Fleener have a jackhammer touchdown dance?

woodbuck27
12-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Ohh my goodness that Indy win over Detroit..amazing. The poor Lion fans.

The Lions are stunned by Indy with a last play toss and short run for six and a 35-33 win over the Lions.

I love the NFL.

Packers4Glory
12-02-2012, 03:34 PM
man I love the Rams rookie kicker...he's got a freaking boom cannon for a leg.

gbgary
12-02-2012, 03:35 PM
stl beats sf.

swede
12-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Saw that and was in fear for a hold call.

Regarding the Newhouse pancake of Jared Allen after he slipped...

Do I need to resign myself to the fact that that call is an accurate interpretation of the rules? Or do the officials fk that call up all the time?

Bulaga in particular has had about five holding calls go against him pver his career when the OLB or DE goes wide, slips to the ground, Bulaga ends up on top, and the official calls holding.

pbmax
12-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Regarding the Newhouse pancake of Jared Allen after he slipped...

Do I need to resign myself to the fact that that call is an accurate interpretation of the rules? Or do the officials fk that call up all the time?

Bulaga in particular has had about five holding calls go against him pver his career when the OLB or DE goes wide, slips to the ground, Bulaga ends up on top, and the official calls holding.

It depends on your hands. Nothing about the slip puts the O line in jeopardy except that it exposes his hands to view by an official. Especially if the D line and O lineman are twisted in relation to the other. If you have your hand outside the shoulder and are pulling jersey OR it seems like its giving you leverage to knock the guy over, then you are getting called. Better to reset or let go. Hard to call because officials are told to let it go if its not giving o lineman an edge. Part of the reason why it looks like its called when the O lineman is winning.

Newhouse was going to be OK unless he had his head or back of jersey.

woodbuck27
12-02-2012, 03:41 PM
'13 all' tie bet. 49ers and RAMS.

Their into OT for the second time this season.

I was almost going to the RAMS this week and don't they pull a win off in OT defeating the 49ers 16-13. You just can't tell who will win in so many matchups. It's that close in terms of true parity.

Joemailman
12-02-2012, 03:41 PM
stl beats sf.

Amazingly, Packers are only a half game out of the #2 seed. Given the status of their offensive line, I don't know if the Packers are capable of winning out, but you never know.

49ers remaining schedule:

14 Sun December 9 Miami Dolphins
15 Sun December 16 @ New England Patriots
16 Sun December 23 @ Seattle Seahawks
17 Sun December 30 Arizona Cardinals

Teamcheez1
12-02-2012, 03:46 PM
49'ers have to lose 2 of their remaining 4 games for us to even have a chance at the #2 seed, and that assumes we win all 4 of our games.

gbgary
12-02-2012, 03:46 PM
great day for the Pack. hope jordy isn't hurt too bad.

Lurker64
12-02-2012, 03:47 PM
The poor Lion fans.

Lions fans who were paying attention realized their season was over when they were 4-6 with 4 divisional losses. Almost mathematically eliminated from the playoffs at that point.

Joemailman
12-02-2012, 03:51 PM
49'ers have to lose 2 of their remaining 4 games for us to even have a chance at the #2 seed, and that assumes we win all 4 of our games.

No, if the Packers win out, SF would only have to lose 1. SF is now 8-3-1, Packers are 8-4, and Giants are 7-4.

HarveyWallbangers
12-02-2012, 03:53 PM

We are 1/2 game behind them. If we win out and they lost just one game, we'd pass them. I don't think we'll win out, but they could lose two games (at NE, at Sea). If that happens, we could go 3-1 and pass them.

Bossman641
12-02-2012, 04:03 PM
How many holding calls did we have today? 5?

woodbuck27
12-02-2012, 04:05 PM
man I love the Rams rookie kicker...he's got a freaking boom cannon for a leg.

http://www.stlouisrams.com/team/roster/Greg-Zuerlein/747d38cb-c5d6-4c29-9008-e8bad5ae7d15

19 of 24 for 79.2 % and a long of 60 yards. Nice !

woodbuck27
12-02-2012, 04:06 PM
How many holding calls did we have today? 5?

I counted five for sure.

digitaldean
12-02-2012, 04:15 PM
That tie does mean 1/2 a loss. Can't wait for the 49er turmoil now that Kaeppernick lost. Russell Wilson played well vs. DA Bears.

Thankful the Queens have Ponder at QB. The killer of the game was the int. at start of 2nd half. Ponder was off target enough to cost them the game.

The tackling on Peterson was horrific. I know he is a tough SOB to bring down, but Burnett had 2 long runs he flat out failed to wrap up on.

RashanGary
12-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Let's not forget the Giants. They have a medium-tough schedule, but their DL is really healthy right now. They're dangerous. They have half a game on us too.

It's three teams fighting for that 2nd spot. We're a half game behind both.

Jennings looked really good. Matthews and Woodson will be coming back. House has taken that spot from Shields IMO. Hayward is clearly our best inside CB. Shields is not going to play unless there is an injury. It was nice to see the run game pick up. Barclay is a tough guy. I like his style. . . . We put together a heck of a drive there in the 2nd half. Long drive. Nice to see. Peterson went off. Poor tackling again. Getting Woodson and Matthews on the field really helps our tackling. Will be nice to have Matthews and Moses in there. People talked about it. I'm buying stock in that. Take Walden out and put Moses in on those passing downs, and we could have something. JJ is a big TD weapon for us. No one better on this team going up for a jump ball. Finley ran a sweet inside route. Had the safety going to wrong way. That's rare from him. Showing some growth. Playing tough.

Overall, there are a lot of good things going for this team. We're going to have to get hot here. It's going to be an exciting finish. . . .

Joemailman
12-02-2012, 04:28 PM
49ers (8-3-1)

Packers (8-4)

14 Sun December 9 Detroit Lions
15 Sun December 16 @ Chicago Bears
16 Sun December 23 Tennessee Titans
17 Sun December 30 @ Minnesota Vikings

Bears (8-4)

Sun December 9 @ Minnesota Vikings
15 Sun December 16 Green Bay Packers
16 Sun December 23 @ Arizona Cardinals
17 Sun December 30 @ Detroit Lions

Giants (7-4)

13 Mon December 3 @ Washington Redskins
14 Sun December 9 New Orleans Saints
15 Sun December 16 @ Atlanta Falcons
16 Sun December 23 @ Baltimore Ravens
17 Sun December 30 Philadelphia Eagles

woodbuck27
12-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Amazingly, Packers are only a half game out of the #2 seed. Given the status of their offensive line, I don't know if the Packers are capable of winning out, but you never know.

49ers remaining schedule:

I see two loss's there.

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
12-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Let's not forget the Giants. They have a medium-tough schedule, but their DL is really healthy right now. They're dangerous. They have half a game on us too.

Jennings looked really good. Matthews and Woodson will be coming back. House has taken that spot from Shields IMO. Hayward is clearly our best inside CB. Shields is not going to play unless there is an injury. It was nice to see the run game pick up. Barclay is a tough guy. I like his style. . . . We put together a heck of a drive there in the 2nd half. Long drive. Nice to see. Peterson went off. Poor tackling again. Getting Woodson and Matthews on the field really helps our tackling. Will be nice to have Matthews and Moses in there. People talked about it. I'm buying stock in that. Take Walden out and put Moses in on those passing downs, and we could have something. JJ is a big TD weapon for us. No one better on this team going up for a jump ball. Finley ran a sweet inside route. Had the safety going to wrong way. That's rare from him. Showing some growth. Playing tough.

Overall, there are a lot of good things going for this team. We're going to have to get hot here. It's going to be an exciting finish. . . .

As always JH. A great and positive attitude by you Packer fan.

channtheman
12-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Packers will beat both the 49ers and the Giants en route to a Super Bowl win. Those mofo's got us in the regular season, but now it's our turn to do to the Giants what they have done to us.

pbmax
12-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Go, go Joe Charboneau!

I mean Philbin!

Only Rand and baseball geeks will get that. :lol:

pbmax
12-02-2012, 04:54 PM

Isn't JPP out this week?

woodbuck27
12-02-2012, 05:15 PM
WOW! Watching Pit @ Bal and that 'old fella' Penguin backup 'backup' Charlie Batch is doing very well today.

He just made two excellent pass's on a 7 play drive and threw a key block on a J. Dwyer TD run.

Score knotted at 13 all. I'd love to see the Steelers get a win in Baltimore today with Charlie Batch at QB.

woodbuck27
12-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Isn't JPP out this week?

http://newyork.sbnation.com/new-york-giants-2012/2012/12/1/3715590/giants-redskins-injury-report-justin-tuck-jason-pierre-paul

Justin Tuck and Jason Pierre Paul sat out yesterday's practise. Game time decisions?

woodbuck27
12-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Isn't JPP out this week?

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8697807/kenny-phillips-new-york-giants-doubtful-knee-injury

Defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul was unable to practice for the second straight day due to a back issue. The Giants' best pass rusher is listed as questionable for the game although head coach Tom Coughlin expects Pierre-Paul to play barring a setback. Pierre-Paul has dealt with back issues in the past.

Starting defensive end Justin Tuck (foot) and safety Antrel Rolle (illness) were also new additions to the injury report. Both did not practice on Saturday but are listed as probable to play.

denverYooper
12-02-2012, 05:32 PM
That played out pretty much how I expected it to ;).

MJZiggy
12-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Dammit, I missed the game. How'd it go?

George Cumby
12-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Dammit, I missed the game. How'd it go?

I missed it too.

Heres the box:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012120201/2012/REG13/vikings@packers#menu=highlights&tab=analyze

Looks like All-Day kicked our ass, but wasn't enough on his own.

digitaldean
12-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Go, go Joe Charboneau!

I mean Philbin!

Only Rand and baseball geeks will get that. :lol:

I remember the song for Cleveland player rookie of the year candidate Joe Charbonneau.

woodbuck27
12-02-2012, 07:24 PM
I missed it too.

Heres the box:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012120201/2012/REG13/vikings@packers#menu=highlights&tab=analyze

They had one chance. To run AP like a horse and for some reason they didn't squeeze the trigger on that. At one point that game looked lost for us and strange as it might see. That 47 yard FG by Mason Crosby in the 3rd quarter to pull us within 1 point or 13-14; seemed to light a fire under us. Morgan Burnettt's two picks were timely and huge. Both RB's Starks and Green ran well; but most importantly were used with some consistency.

Now we need to find out that we didn't loose any more starters.

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
12-02-2012, 07:26 PM
How about Charlie Batch and the way he played today to pull off that huge win in Baltimore. I watched that game for the most part and he played very well.

Pugger
12-03-2012, 12:56 AM
No, if the Packers win out, SF would only have to lose 1. SF is now 8-3-1, Packers are 8-4, and Giants are 7-4.

Go 'Skins.

Pugger
12-03-2012, 12:59 AM
They had one chance. To run AP like a horse and for some reason they didn't squeeze the trigger on that. At one point that game looked lost for us and strange as it might see. That 47 yard FG by Mason Crosby in the 3rd quarter to pull us within 1 point or 13-14; seemed to light a fire under us. Morgan Burnettt's two picks were timely and huge. Both RB's Starks and Green ran well; but most importantly were used with some consistency.

Now we need to find out that we didn't loose any more starters.

GO PACKERS !

What truly surprised me in the game was MN didn't keep Peterson in there on passing downs when they could have utilized play-action.

mraynrand
12-03-2012, 07:14 AM
What truly surprised me in the game was MN didn't keep Peterson in there on passing downs when they could have utilized play-action.

He can't pass protect. really, he can't.

woodbuck27
12-03-2012, 11:07 AM

Yes...we saw what Ray Rice did last week (Ravens @ Bolts) just coming out of the backfield to lend a short passing option for Joe Flacco when his reads downfield spelled nothing. Ponder's arm isn't good. Give him a short pass option to the best RB in the NFL. I felt that AP should have been used even more, given the importance of this game to the Vikings. Then there's this:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Zulgad_Adrian_Peterson_attempts_to_shoulder_some_o f_the_blame_for_loss120212

Updated: December 2nd, 2012 5:37pm

Adrian Peterson attempts to shoulder some of the blame for loss

Iron Mike
12-04-2012, 08:11 AM

He needs help from the Queens fans:

http://fox6now.com/2012/12/03/minnesota-man-charged-in-connection-with-fight-after-packersvikings-game/

mraynrand
12-04-2012, 08:17 AM

There were a lot of rookies/redshirt freshmen out there who had never tried to tackle Peterman before. At least some of the yardage can be attributed to that. It's a jarring experience!

mraynrand
12-04-2012, 08:20 AM
He needs help from the Queens fans:

http://fox6now.com/2012/12/03/minnesota-man-charged-in-connection-with-fight-after-packersvikings-game/

Haven't we seen enough of this? When will the madness end? When will fists finally be outlawed in this country?

Cheesehead Craig
12-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Yes...we saw what Ray Rice did last week (Ravens @ Bolts) just coming out of the backfield to lend a short passing option for Joe Flacco when his reads downfield spelled nothing. Ponder's arm isn't good. Give him a short pass option to the best RB in the NFL. I felt that AP should have been used even more, given the importance of this game to the Vikings. Then there's this:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Zulgad_Adrian_Peterson_attempts_to_shoulder_some_o f_the_blame_for_loss120212

Updated: December 2nd, 2012 5:37pm

Adrian Peterson attempts to shoulder some of the blame for loss

Peterson isn't an every down back like Ray Rice is. They are different types of backs. AP is the best runner hands down in the league but as was pointed out earlier, he's poor at pass blocking and he is not a good route runner nor can he catch very well. That's why he's on the bench on passing downs. Whereas Rice is fantastic in the pass game both with blocking and receiving.

woodbuck27
12-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Peterson isn't an every down back like Ray Rice is. They are different types of backs. AP is the best runner hands down in the league but as was pointed out earlier, he's poor at pass blocking and he is not a good route runner nor can he catch very well. That's why he's on the bench on passing downs. Whereas Rice is fantastic in the pass game both with blocking and receiving.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=RB&conference=NFL&year=season_2012&timeframe=ToDate&sort=610&old_category=RB

AP isn't horrible receiving the ball and has made 36 receptions so far this season. That places him among the top ten RB's for receptions made and near the top twelve in total yards receiving among all RB's.

I'm not going to get into any argument on his ability or not to block on passing down as he's too valuable as a rusher to use blocking in passing situations. He's a running back...the best in the NFL and not a WR. Does he need to be an excellent passing route runner?

Cheesehead Craig
12-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Actually, he's 23rd in RB rec yards. His receiving abilities, pass blocking and route running have been his Achilles heel since he came into the league, it's no secret. He'll have more targets and rec this year because of the pathetic QB the Vikes have and that he can only do dump down passes.

While I agree that the Vikes should be keeping him in all the time, there are some valid issues with why he's not.

mraynrand
12-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Actually, he's 23rd in RB rec yards. His receiving abilities, pass blocking and route running have been his Achilles heel since he came into the league, it's no secret. He'll have more targets and rec this year because of the pathetic QB the Vikes have and that he can only do dump down passes.

It's not completely on Ponder - Vikings have no WRs other than Harvin. Jenkins was done two years ago. Ruvell Martin would be a stand out in the crew.

Zool
12-04-2012, 04:41 PM
It's not completely on Ponder - Vikings have no WRs other than Harvin. Jenkins was done two years ago. Ruvell Martin would be a stand out in the crew.

Agreed. He and Rudolph had a good thing going in the first half. Once the Packers closed that loop, he had not much else to work with on that WR core.

Joemailman
12-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Percy Harvin out for the year.

Bad news is Bears won't have to face him this week.

Good news is Packers won't have to face him Dec. 30.

mraynrand
12-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Percy Harvin out for the year..

injury prone!

Cheesehead Craig
12-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Plus it's rumored that Percy is very unhappy in MN. So their only legit WR may very well pout his way out of town or leave after next season when he's an UFA.

And I would say that the majority of the offense woes is on Ponder. He not only can't make the throws to open players but often doesn't even see them in the first place.

KYPack
12-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Plus it's rumored that Percy is very unhappy in MN. So their only legit WR may very well pout his way out of town or leave after next season when he's an UFA.

And I would say that the majority of the offense woes is on Ponder. He not only can't make the throws to open players but often doesn't even see them in the first place.

Ponder looked like he might develop, but man, he's in a death spiral (he can't throw a spiral) right now.

woodbuck27
12-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Ponder looked like he might develop, but man, he's in a death spiral (he can't throw a spiral) right now.

Yup. Christian Ponder is sure struggling. Is it the famous 'sophomore JINX'?

Here's a story on this 2nd year QB and that related to Percy Harvins health this season:

http://nfl.si.com/2012/12/06/does-percy-harvins-absence-buy-christian-ponder-more-time/

and this:

Christian Ponder enters the week ranked 25th with a 79.4 passer rating. Considering that his ratings were 105.5, 114.6 and 94.7 in the first three games, you can see just how bad things have got for Ponder.

Lurker64
12-06-2012, 12:59 PM

Peterson's receiving yards statistic is inflated by the fact that he can take run a 2 yard pattern and receive an easy-to-catch pass and then run for like 40 yards because he's hard to tackle.

Cheesehead Craig
12-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Peterson's receiving yards statistic is inflated by the fact that he can take run a 2 yard pattern and receive an easy-to-catch pass and then run for like 40 yards because he's hard to tackle.

What's interesting though is that even though he's like 10th in RB rec, he's 23rd in yds for RBs. His ypc is surprisingly lower than most other RBs which means he's not breaking tackles on his catches. It's odd as one would figure that he's got to just beat one guy and he's a runaway freight train. But why can't he? IMO, that's indictative of his poor route running. He's not getting separation from the LBs and gets dropped right away.

mraynrand
12-06-2012, 01:45 PM
I've watched about 4 or 5 vikings games on that NFL Dish 'shortcuts' deal. It's remarkable how that offense is completely horizontal. Passes in the flat to Peterman, WR screens or quick tosses to Percy Farvin, short dumps to the TE over the middle. Absolutely no deep game at all. Even when the Vikes got down by two scores against other teams, they kept running the ball and throwing the screens and dump offs. The reason is they have no other options. I really thought the game with the Pack would be a total laugher, except that the Packers did enough to keep it close. I don't imagine all their rookies and redshirt rookies will have as hard a time tackling Peterman in the dome. I give it about equal odds that one of Chad Johnson, T.O. or Braying Jackass will be in a Vikings uniform for the Dec 30 rematch. But it won't help.

woodbuck27
12-06-2012, 02:55 PM
RE: Percy Harvin's Injury...more specifics:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/nfl_news.cfm?news_id=5098

ESPN 1500 Twin Cities reported that Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin had a Grade 3 ankle sprain, which signifies a complete ligament tear. Such an injury typically has a four to six week recovery time and Harvin is entering his fifth week since the injury. The team hoped he would be able to play following their Week 11 against Chicago but Harvin was not ready. "It's still a little stiff in certain areas," Harvin said. "A little swelling -- it's just not major swelling. So, it's to the point now where I feel like I can do a little something."

KYPack
12-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I've watched about 4 or 5 vikings games on that NFL Dish 'shortcuts' deal. It's remarkable how that offense is completely horizontal. Passes in the flat to Peterman, WR screens or quick tosses to Percy Farvin, short dumps to the TE over the middle. Absolutely no deep game at all. Even when the Vikes got down by two scores against other teams, they kept running the ball and throwing the screens and dump offs. The reason is they have no other options. I really thought the game with the Pack would be a total laugher, except that the Packers did enough to keep it close. I don't imagine all their rookies and redshirt rookies will have as hard a time tackling Peterman in the dome. I give it about equal odds that one of Chad Johnson, T.O. or Braying Jackass will be in a Vikings uniform for the Dec 30 rematch. But it won't help.

you got it, Rand.

I couldn't believe the Queens signed Jerome Simpson in the off-season. That poor kid is too dumb to run a pass route. Tthey have him in the sorriest WR group I've seen in awhile.

Peterson is such a hoss. He's got the whole team on his back & sometimes, he can carry 'em all.