PDA

View Full Version : Cool stat of the week

Jimx29
12-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Snagged this from Danzeru @ reddit:

Tim Masthay has only had his punts returned for 88 yards over the entire season thus far (not counting todays #s)

To give you an idea of perspective, most other good punters are in the 200-300 range. He is second in the NFL for number of fair catches called for behind only Arizona's punter who to be fair leads the league in number of punts due to his poor excuse for an offense (sorry Cards...)

So how does he do so well you ask? Hang time. If you watch Masthay punt his average height is extremely... well high. Again, his max height is average but his average height is very good.

Only 30.8% of his punts are even returned at all, this is good for second best in the league behind New England's punter Zoltan Mesko (I just wanted to fit this guy's name in) who has a significantly smaller sample size and is about to go over the 88 yard mark with just over half the punts. Think about it though, there is nearly a 70% chance that the PR will not run the ball at all after one of Masthay's punts. (I know you can all do maths but the stat sounds fun when its reversed.)

In short, Masthay never allows the opponent's punt returner to do any work as the moment he catches the ball, Packers Special Teams are already there. Tim has given our defense consistently great field position all year round and though I know he's a respected punter, I thought I'd just shed some light on why.