PDA

View Full Version : Being Offensive

pbmax
12-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Need views on the status of the offense.

Did it improve or get worse?

What adjustments did you see?

Jennings for Nelson. Good trade?

Overall I say its a wash, with some hopeful signs.

Saw the O regularly feature a shallower receiver that Rodgers still avoided regularly, though he did complete a few here to be fair. Saw a couple of good screen attempts. These will continue to be successful as long as Ds attack the O Tackles and play 2 deep. Both Starks and Green, whatever their other shortcomings, can run this play better than, say, Brandon Jackson.

Barclay, no matter what M3 said, changed the play calling for the better. Even if he just forced M3 to use the other side of his sheet, it was good.

Jennings for Nelson will be OK when Jennings gets his wind back. He also survived a couple of decent hints. Would have loved seeing him work middle but Rodgers isn't throwing there much.

Finally, Finley. Not sure his drops are behind him a he dropped another and Bubba Franked another (bounce off one hand, bobble, two handed clutch, constant fear of drop/fumble all the way to the ground). But the rest of the offensive disarray seems to have convinced the coach and QB to keep throwing him the ball which is probably the only way he breaks out of this. Like a flooded motorcycle, the only way to fix/cure him is to pour gas on him til he ignites*.

*Not a joke about self-immolation. A normally aspirated motorcycle carburetor, when flooded, can often be started by cranking the accelerator full bore and kick starting. Of course, you should then change the oil.

denverYooper
12-03-2012, 10:21 AM
I think Jennings for Nelson is an upgrade right now. My totally unsubstantiated hand-wavy theory on Jennings is that he makes those "plays when they need a play" -- mostly in the form of 3rd down receptions. His reception at the sticks at the front end of the 11-play clock killer is the most recent example. During the SB run, he seemed to come up with 1 per game. Cobb has some of that in him too, but Jennings is the original in this offense.

sharpe1027
12-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm not saying Jennings is necessarily "better" than Nelson, but I think the Packers have less of a drop off with Nelson out than with Jennings when you compare their respective replacements.

Although he has a history of disappearing for stretches of time, Jones does a respectable Nelson impression (big body that also threatens DBs down field). Jennings offers the precision route running and deep seam threat that no other receiver has right now. Driver used to be a reasonable substitute for Jennings, but not anymore.

Guiness
12-03-2012, 10:32 AM
*Not a joke about self-immolation. A normally aspirated motorcycle carburetor, when flooded, can often be started by cranking the accelerator full bore and kick starting. Of course, you should then change the oil.

Yup, works like a dream. Equally well for pre-86 Ford F150 pickups sporting a 5.8L (351cu in) engine. Mat it and hold the starter till it 'FIRED'.

sharpe1027
12-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Yup, works like a dream. Equally well for pre-86 Ford F150 pickups sporting a 5.8L (351cu in) engine. Mat it and hold the starter till it 'FIRED'.

It also works well for a '76 Chevy Nova. (Of course, I would not know from personal experience because, on the Internet, I am nowhere near old enough to know that). ;)

woodbuck27
12-03-2012, 11:12 AM

Did it improve or get worse?

What adjustments did you see?

Jennings for Nelson. Good trade?

Overall I say its a wash, with some hopeful signs.

Saw the O regularly feature a shallower receiver that Rodgers still avoided regularly, though he did complete a few here to be fair. Saw a couple of good screen attempts. These will continue to be successful as long as Ds attack the O Tackles and play 2 deep. Both Starks and Green, whatever their other shortcomings, can run this play better than, say, Brandon Jackson.

Barclay, no matter what M3 said, changed the play calling for the better. Even if he just forced M3 to use the other side of his sheet, it was good.

Jennings for Nelson will be OK when Jennings gets his wind back. He also survived a couple of decent hints. Would have loved seeing him work middle but Rodgers isn't throwing there much.

Finally, Finley. Not sure his drops are behind him a he dropped another and Bubba Franked another (bounce off one hand, bobble, two handed clutch, constant fear of drop/fumble all the way to the ground). But the rest of the offensive disarray seems to have convinced the coach and QB to keep throwing him the ball which is probably the only way he breaks out of this. Like a flooded motorcycle, the only way to fix/cure him is to pour gas on him til he ignites*.

Wow ! Who knew that pbmax is a hard ass'd biker. Rrrrruuuummmm !

Patler
12-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Like a flooded motorcycle, the only way to fix/cure him is to pour gas on him til he ignites*.

"Back in the day" that was how we attempted to start any flooded engine, and flooding was not uncommon.

Cheesehead Craig
12-03-2012, 11:32 AM
I think Jennings is an upgrade over Nelson as Jennings is a better route runner, IMO. He runs a cleaner route and has a better chance of getting open.

Jennings should be able to get back into shape fairly quickly, especially if he gets back into the Old Spice routine.

The running game showed a big improvement and it was something that was good all game long. THAT is what really made me happy. Starks ran with power and Green ran with some conviction.

I think this is a watershed game. Crosby hitting clutch FGs and Finley catching passes and making plays cannot be just coincidence. It means everything is coming together.

denverYooper
12-03-2012, 11:39 AM
I think Jennings is an upgrade over Nelson as Jennings is a better route runner, IMO. He runs a cleaner route and has a better chance of getting open.

Jennings should be able to get back into shape fairly quickly, especially if he gets back into the Old Spice routine.

The running game showed a big improvement and it was something that was good all game long. THAT is what really made me happy. Starks ran with power and Green ran with some conviction.

I think this is a watershed game. Crosby hitting clutch FGs and Finley catching passes and making plays cannot be just coincidence. It means everything is coming together.

Thus spoke the Oracle Rat. And so it shall be.

swede
12-03-2012, 11:53 AM

the rest of the offensive disarray seems to have convinced the coach and QB to keep throwing him [Finley] the ball which is probably the only way he breaks out of this. Like a flooded motorcycle, the only way to fix/cure him is to pour gas on him til he ignites*.

Did you get this from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" or "Just Give Me the Damn Ball"?

ThunderDan
12-03-2012, 12:02 PM

I think we both noted in the game day thread that WRs and TEs were breaking open across the middle on short throws but that ARod was going somewhere else with the ball.

woodbuck27
12-03-2012, 12:05 PM
We won that game 23-14 and until Mason Crosby's 47 yard FG trailed 14-10 on a long Aaron Rodgers ** pass and amazing catch by WR James Jones and a Mason Crosby 30 yard FG.

** Look at that play. Again we saw LT Marshall Newhouse allow a Vikings defender to get around him and that man and another Viking defender almost sacked AR; forcing him up into the pocket and just in the nick of time.... get that rocket pass to James Jones off. That was very nearly a sack as our OL failed to contain a pass rush again. Take that outstanding play away and we're minus seven points and that game is tied, as all else went.

Add this into the analysis.

We got a rare six points with a James Starks rush around the right edge and down the sidelines. Our first rushing TD in seven games and in somewhat dramatic fashion for our team. Take that rushing TD away and trade it for another Mason Crosby FG and we lose four more points (in exchange) and given the above 7+4 = 11. 23-11=12 and the score could easily have been Vikings 14 - Packers 12 and a loss at home.

We got three FG's in four attempts (that miss was 'out to lunch' too long a try IMO) from a kicker who is struggling to find some confidence.

Just before that FG it appeared to me that our play was again lack luster. Our tackling was poor (again) like last season. Recall AP's long run down the left side line for six and the futile attempts of the packer 'D' to tackle him. Tackle him...they couldn't corner or catch up to him for any decent chances. Granted this is the best RB in the NFL this season and he's never been easy to bring down.

Third down efficiency was 9/16 or 56%.

We got Greg Jennings back in some limited capascity and saw Jordy Nelson forced out to the locker room. Hopefully what appeared to me as a hammy strain for Jordy Nelson isn't serious.

On a plus side. I was pleased that Aaron Rodgers didn't quit on TE Jermichael Finley after an early flubbed pass. Finley made some good plays for our offense (6 receptions for 60 yards and a long of 21 yards). We also saw Aaron Rodgers look to and hit players in the slot ie Randall Cobb. Our leading receiver with 60 yards on 6 catchs. I'm still not sure if AR is using his checkdowns properly and not going with the blinders on but time will tell us the answer there.

A real plus. We got production from our RB's (Starks and Green) team total rushing for 152 yards and one TD. We need to see more of that as our OL is or we will not compete with solid teams. The two teams that go to the Super Bowl will have one thing in common. Both will be solid in all aspects of the game.

Overall I'm just so glad we did enough to secure this huge win Vs the Vikings. That team will not finish this season on a losing streak if they use AP to ensure wins. He was unstopable yesterday and somehow his HC ( Frazier) IMO, under utilized Adrian Peterson. That man can be a one man wrecking crew.

GO PACKERS !

swede
12-03-2012, 12:10 PM
I liked the point about Starks' TD, Woody. Big Mo is an important ally.

Ever since Cleft Crusty hooked you up with his Canadian pharmacist your posts have been fizzing with clarity.

woodbuck27
12-03-2012, 12:17 PM
I liked the point about Starks' TD, Woody. Big Mo is an important ally.

Ever since Cleft Crusty hooked you up with his Canadian pharmacist your posts have been fizzing with clarity.

Thanks Swede but lately I've been employing a new option.

I edit my posts before submitting them. It's not a miracle.

GO PACKERS !

RashanGary
12-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Jennings > Nelson IMO. Gets off the line better. Runs great routes. Seam down the middle was vintage AR/GJ. Nelson and Jones will benefit from Jennings presence..

Jennings is your #1. Green and Starks are the RB. 3 perimeter spots are going to be shared between Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Finley, Kuhn, Crabtree and DJ Williams. Might have to shelve someone, probably Williams. Nelson probably plays every snap when he's healthy. He's our best blocking WR and a good receiving weapon. That leaves Cobb, Jones and Finley fighting for 1 spot. . . . How do you split that up? It's going to be crazy.

Barclay better than I expected. Nasty run blocker. Lang at LG seems like it could be the way to go.

RashanGary
12-03-2012, 12:38 PM
We have 4 guys in the top 64 in receiving yards. 32 teams. On average, each team has 2.

We have Cobb, Nelson, Jones and Finley all in the top 64. Then we have Jennings. . . . Jones, Cobb and Nelson are somewhere in the #2, 3 or 4 and Finley is our 5th weapon. . . It's just crazy.

George Cumby
12-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks Swede but lately I've been employing a new option.

I edit my posts before submitting them. It's not a miracle.

GO PACKERS !

For some reason, this statement is really humorous to me. :smile:

pbmax
12-03-2012, 02:45 PM
"Back in the day" that was how we attempted to start any flooded engine, and flooding was not uncommon.

Of course they flooded often. They were steam driven, no? :lol:

pbmax
12-03-2012, 02:47 PM
As much as I would love to see the running game take flight (hey-oo), my main concern is pass blocking. I think the only reasonable answer to the middle of the field being abandoned in the passing game is Rodgers being trained to expect pressure up the gut or being forced to step up, making a throw into the middle possibly late or slightly off target.

Finley has also been part of the issues as well as Jennings absence.

So if Barclay at RT and Lang at LG improves pass pro, then I say you play Mr. UDFA and the future Bruce Wilkerson Award Winner.

Patler
12-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Of course they flooded often. They were steam driven, no? :lol:

Steam?? Die Wassermotor!

woodbuck27
12-03-2012, 03:21 PM
As much as I would love to see the running game take flight (hey-oo), my main concern is pass blocking. I think the only reasonable answer to the middle of the field being abandoned in the passing game is Rodgers being trained to expect pressure up the gut or being forced to step up, making a throw into the middle possibly late or slightly off target.

Finley has also been part of the issues as well as Jennings absence.

So if Barclay at RT and Lang at LG improves pass pro, then I say you play Mr. UDFA and the future Bruce Wilkerson Award Winner.

" As much as I would love to see the running game take flight " pbmax

It's now December and traditionally we see MM game plan for more running plays at this time in the schedule. He's right on 'Q'.

Wd don't have alot of spare eggs in our OL carton. We don't have very seasoned players available for our OL. Any injury (loss) will be certainly game changing for our team and Aaron Rodgers and MM must get on the same page or adapt to such adversity quickly in any game. Aaron Rodgers has to stay in or move out of the pocket as protection dictates and have a bail out plan. Aaron Rodgers option to pass deep may be not so available to him.

We're now awaiting word on WR Jordy Nelson and hope he hasn't been lost to injury again.

As a Packer fan I hate all the secrecy ** RE: player injury status in terms of realistic expectations to see him ready to play. I'm not used to such crap being a Canadian and overall a sports fan. ie the fricken' NHL when it's operting is up front in terms of reporting injury status, or at least that's my view.

GREEN BAY PACKER - Injury Report

**Name Position Injury Wed. Thu. Fri. Game Status

Driver, Donald WR Thumb DNP DNP DNP questionable

Jennings, Greg WR Groin / Abdomen FP FP FP probable

Jennings, M.D. S Rib LP FP FP probable

Manning, Terrell LB Shoulder LP LP LP doubtful

Matthews, Clay LB Hamstring DNP DNP DNP Out

Newhouse, Marshall T Wrist LP LP FP probable

Pickett, Ryan DT Quadricep DNP LP FP probable

Quarless, Andrew TE Knee LP DNP DNP Out

Richardson, Sean S Back - LP LP questionable

Shields, Sam CB Ankle Out Out Out Out

White, Johnny RB Concussion DNP DNP DNP Out

Wilson, C.J. DE Knee DNP DNP DNP Out

Woodson, Charles DB Collarbone Out Out Out Out

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
12-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Two plays (one a decision by MM ) were the dramatic shift changers in our 23-14 victory over the Vikings on Sunday Dec.02, 2012.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-tied-for-NFC-North-lead-following-23-14-win/4b99a2e5-6bc6-467e-a176-26f83a7e5daa?campaign=email_post_vikings_121203

“I thought our whole sideline changed after that,” McCarthy said. “Halftime was not the best halftime. Kind of flat.” MM

MM said:

A) The Packers trailed, 14-10, when ( Morgan) Burnett intercepted a Ponder pass that followed a 48-yard run by Peterson on the first play of the second half. The Vikings were threatening to increase their lead to 11 points against a Packers team that was coming off a “flat” halftime and struggling to find rhythm on offense.

B) It was a time out by the Vikings and a change of heart that produced the next dramatic swing in the game. On fourth-and-seven from the Vikings 29, McCarthy changed his mind and marched slump-ridden Mason Crosby out for a 47-yard field goal attempt. Crosby had already missed from 53 and had bounced a 30-yard try off an upright and over the crossbar.

“I was in a four-down territory mindset. We went with a tempo play. When they called time out, I decided to go with the field goal,” McCarthy said.

So was it a rocket TD pass from AR to James Jones and a rare rushing TD that turned the trick for us on Sunday or things (maybe) not as obvious?

GO PACKERS !

Fritz
12-03-2012, 09:46 PM
I saw some positive signs in the first two drives and on the 11 minutes at the end of the game. Watching the first two drives, I thought, my god, MM is finally doing what's we have been begging for: running the ball and using Finley more. Then it went to hell in the middle of the game, and the defense couldn't tackle while Rodgers started getting banged around, then it came back together once Burnett intercepted.

And I choose to believe that Crosby is out of his funk.

mraynrand
12-03-2012, 10:14 PM
And I choose to believe that Crosby is out of his funk.

Funk you

http://jerseyal.com/GBP/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/mason+crosby+grabbing+head1.jpg

Fritz
12-04-2012, 06:29 AM
Funk you

http://jerseyal.com/GBP/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/mason+crosby+grabbing+head1.jpg

You wanna get funked up?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBYN_MDetJt7UKKteYH1QcdG7qNcdfB 1wHt_YQ88sL9tew9r3m

Iron Mike
12-04-2012, 08:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBWH3OWfT2Y

Iron Mike
12-04-2012, 08:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjDRY8nr3Sk