PDA

View Full Version : Curious question

packers11
12-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Does anyone remember during the game Sunday were Ponder handed to Peterson near the packers goal-line, mishandled the snap and jumped back on the ball behind the LOS. How is not considered a "sack"? Or will they award the packers a sack later in the week???

1-3-GB 3
(12:52) 7-C.Ponder to GB 8 for -5 yards. FUMBLES, and recovers at GB 8. 7-C.Ponder to GB 7 for 1 yard (59-B.Jones).

Wouldn't Brad Jones be awarded a sack???

I'm losing by .5 in a Fantasy League and have packers D ;-) That's the real reason why I actually care about a Brad Jones sack...

mraynrand
12-03-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't think a QB can be sacked after a recovered fumble

woodbuck27
12-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Does anyone remember during the game Sunday were Ponder handed to Peterson near the packers goal-line, mishandled the snap and jumped back on the ball behind the LOS. How is not considered a "sack"? Or will they award the packers a sack later in the week???

1-3-GB 3
(12:52) 7-C.Ponder to GB 8 for -5 yards. FUMBLES, and recovers at GB 8. 7-C.Ponder to GB 7 for 1 yard (59-B.Jones).

Wouldn't Brad Jones be awarded a sack???

I'm losing by .5 in a Fantasy League and have packers D ;-) That's the real reason why I actually care about a Brad Jones sack...

The key words here are FUMBLE and 'recovered by'. In this instance recovered by the same player... Viking QB C. Ponder who FUMBLED the ball.

A sack is credited when a defender causes the quarterback to fumble and the defending team recovers the ball behind or at the line of scrimmage. In this instance the defending team (Green Bay) didn't recover the ball.

Therefore, not a sack.

MadScientist
12-03-2012, 03:21 PM
A sack requires some sort of pass attempt. A fumbled hand off does not constitute a pass attempt. No way to prove it was a play action pass given when the fumble happened.

woodbuck27
12-03-2012, 03:24 PM
A sack requires some sort of pass attempt. A fumbled hand off does not constitute a pass attempt. No way to prove it was a play action pass given when the fumble happened.

Also if a QB is rushed and takes flight and runs left or right and across the sideline behind the LOS . That's a SACK.

sharpe1027
12-03-2012, 04:04 PM

I swear he was getting ready to throw the ball while he was curled upon the fetal position on ground.