PDA

View Full Version : How good can this team become?

Patler
12-04-2012, 11:14 AM
- Injuries galore.
- 1st round draft picks for the last 3 years all on IR.
- Two leading receivers from last year in and out of the lineup, one mostly out.
- An O-line that can't get out of its own way sometimes.
- Overall play on offense that hasn't been in sync all year.
- A FG kicker that lost it completely for a month and counting.
- Best defensive player out for a month.
- Leader and possibly future HOF'er on defense out for two months.
- 3rd string ILB, with no experience inside, forced into a starting role.
- Rookies and inexperienced players thrust into significant roles all over the team.

In spite of all that, the team is 8-4 and one horrendous officiating call away from being 9-3. They are a 2 quarter coma away from being 10-2 (collapse against the Colts). For the most part, their wins have been solid, even if not very pretty. This year, they have been anything but lucky in getting their wins. They kept their composure when it could have been easily lost when they started the season at 2-3 and were facing perhaps the best overall team in the league.

With all that considered, I have to conclude it is a team of amazing depth for the NFL today, and a team with solid character from the head coach to the last man on the roster.

woodbuck27
12-04-2012, 12:10 PM
San Francisco 49ers
Sun, 09/09 at 3:25 PM CDT
Home: Lambeau Field
Loss: 30 - 22

Chicago Bears
Thu, 09/13 at 7:20 PM CDT
Win: 23 - 10

@ Seattle Seahawks
Mon, 09/24 at 7:30 PM CDT
Away: CenturyLink Field
Loss: 14 - 12 (Robbed !)

New Orleans Saints
Sun, 09/30 at 3:25 PM CDT
Win: 28 - 27

@ Indianapolis Colts
Sun, 10/07 at 12:00 PM CDT
Away: Lucas Oil Stadium
Loss: 30 - 27 (We went to sleep)

@ Houston Texans
Sun, 10/14 at 7:20 PM CDT
Away: Reliant Stadium
Win: 42 - 24

@ Detroit Lions
Sun, 11/18 at 12:00 PM CST
Away: Ford Field
Win: 24 - 20

@ New York Giants
Sun, 11/25 at 7:20 PM CST
Away: MetLife Stadium
Loss: 38 - 10 ( We didn't show up for that game)

Minnesota Vikings
Sun, 12/02 at 12:00 PM CST
Win: 23 - 14 ..... This was a very close game and 'a must win'.

IMO... these games above, are the important games to use to assess our season to date.

In these nine games we have a record of 5-4 and that offsetting win was by a score of 28-27 over 'the Saints' in Lambeau Field.

We were robbed of a 'W' in Seattle.

GO PACKERS !

Patler
12-04-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't understand your analysis. Every loss is important, but not every win? Beating the Rams, who have a better record than the Lions and tied the 49ers, who thumped the Packers, is not important in your analysis?

Fritz
12-04-2012, 12:28 PM
- Injuries galore.
- 1st round draft picks for the last 3 years all on IR.
- Two leading receivers from last year in and out of the lineup, one mostly out.
- An O-line that can't get out of its own way sometimes.
- Overall play on offense that hasn't been in sync all year.
- A FG kicker that lost it completely for a month and counting.
- Best defensive player out for a month.
- Leader and possibly future HOF'er on defense out for two months.
- 3rd string ILB, with no experience inside, forced into a starting role.
- Rookies and inexperienced players thrust into significant roles all over the team.

In spite of all that, the team is 8-4 and one horrendous officiating call away from being 9-3. They are a 2 quarter coma away from being 10-2 (collapse against the Colts). For the most part, their wins have been solid, even if not very pretty. This year, they have been anything but lucky in getting their wins. They kept their composure when it could have been easily lost when they started the season at 2-3 and were facing perhaps the best overall team in the league.

With all that considered, I have to conclude it is a team of amazing depth for the NFL today, and a team with solid character from the head coach to the last man on the roster.

Maybe so, but the beer vendor in section 113 is a pretty shady character, I hear.

woodbuck27
12-04-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't understand your analysis. Every loss is important, but not every win? Beating the Rams, who have a better record than the Lions and tied the 49ers, who thumped the Packers, is not important in your analysis?

" Every loss is important, but not every win? " Patler

Excuse me Patler but I simply chose nine games to look at in an analysis. Including games involving the teams in our division and the top best teams on our schedule to date (in that regard, the Saints may be a debateable choice).

I don't draw any distinction between a loss or a win but simply highlight the win.

Why does it appear that your attempting to draw anyone who may have an opinion on your stances into a noose? That noose wrapped with a ribbon engraved in gold and expounding ' the greatness of TT and MM '.

Raw Raw Raw ! TT and MM are awesome.

Dear Lord ...RELAX Patler. Do we need to look at anything NFL, to draw attention to and satisfy 'any of your need', to justify your passions over TT and MM?

RAW ! RAW !! RAW !!!!

TT and MM are AWESOME !!

Zool
12-04-2012, 01:40 PM

Excuse me Patler but I simply chose nine games to look at in an analysis. Including games involving the teams in our division and the top best teams on our schedule to date (in that regard, the Saints may be a debateable choice).

I don't draw any distinction between a loss or a win but simply highlight the win.

Why does it appear that your attempting to draw anyone who may have an opinion on your stances into a noose? That noose wrapped with a ribbon engraved in gold and expounding ' the greatness of TT and MM '.

Dear Lord ...RELAX Patler. Do we need to look at anything NFL, to draw attention to and satisfy 'any of your need', to justify your passions over TT and MM.

RAW ! RAW !! RAW !!!!

TT and MM are AWESOME !!

Why is it when you get questioned on anything you say, you get defensive?

pittstang5
12-04-2012, 02:07 PM

See above - that's why I think this team is 8-4 and not 4-8 - Depth, no, quality depth. How many teams could lose as many starters and even 2nd stringers, and still be 8-4? My guess - not many.

Upnorth
12-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Without injuries to the oline this team would be the top SB contender. With those injuries I just hope to win a game.

woodbuck27
12-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Why is it when you get questioned on anything you say, you get defensive?

Did I break any of the Forum Rules?

Have I acted disrespectfully?

LEWCWA
12-04-2012, 02:17 PM
I would say MM and TT have done an admirable job putting this team together. Tough to deny that. Everyone has injuries to deal with Look at the steelers keeping their heads afloat minus the hair man, minus big ben, minus mendenhal, minus harrison for stretches....seems we emulate the steelers very closely. Could we stay afloat minus rodgers though....

Freak Out
12-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Good stuff Snoopy (such a smart dog). Pretty amazing when you think about it....Hopefully we get CM3 and Chuck back in the nick of time. The thing that still really impresses me is the game in Houston. Talk about taking a shot to the chin and then coming back and knocking out the Champ. That game really showed what those guys are made of.

So there is hope despite all that has happened along the way.

pittstang5
12-04-2012, 02:19 PM
I would say MM and TT have done an admirable job putting this team together. Tough to deny that. Everyone has injuries to deal with Look at the steelers keeping their heads afloat minus the hair man, minus big ben, minus mendenhal, minus harrison for stretches....seems we emulate the steelers very closely. Could we stay afloat minus rodgers though....

Behind the current o-line - no way. I swear, Rogers can "feel" pressure sometimes.

woodbuck27
12-04-2012, 02:24 PM

"Could we stay afloat minus rodgers though.... " LEWCWA

Thinking about the horror of the above question. It's been said that " an NFL team is 'only as strong' as it's backup QB " .

GO PACKERS !

LEWCWA
12-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Behind the current o-line - no way. I swear, Rogers can "feel" pressure sometimes.

I would say he feels pressure when it isn't there quite a bit and that has been some of the problem on offense. Not that I blame him. I do believe that sometimes a QB has to stand in the pocket and take the hit while delivering a strike. It could be selective memory, but I don't see arod do that much....

Patler
12-04-2012, 02:30 PM

Dear Lord ...RELAX Patler. Do we need to look at anything NFL, to draw attention to and satisfy 'any of your need', to justify your passions over TT and MM.

RAW ! RAW !! RAW !!!!

TT and MM are AWESOME !!

You got all of that that from my brief, straight-forward (I thought) two line reply with two simple questions about your analysis. You take that simple reply and blow it into a hidden agenda on my part for TT and MM? And you suggest that I should relax???????

There is a reason I usually ignore your posts, and do not even consider replying to them. Every time I do reply, I am reminded why I normally do not.

I have been reminded again.

Upnorth
12-04-2012, 02:32 PM
If we had a oline that could run block we might, might, play .500 ball without rodgers. With the oline we have we might, might, make it to half time within 10 pts without rodgers.

Freak Out
12-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Lol.

Patler
12-04-2012, 02:45 PM

Without Rodgers? Not this year. Last year, probably so.
It will be interesting next year to see if they have anything in BJ Coleman or not.

woodbuck27
12-04-2012, 02:51 PM
You got all of that that from my brief, straight-forward (I thought) two line reply with two simple questions about your analysis. You take that simple reply and blow it into a hidden agenda on my part for TT and MM? And you suggest that I should relax???????

There is a reason I usually ignore your posts, and do not even consider replying to them. Every time I do reply, I am reminded why I normally do not.

I have been reminded again.

That's too bad. No need to feel indignant Patler.

Maybe this is a response that better suits you:

Excuse me Patler. I simply chose nine games in our schedule to look at in an analysis. Including games involving the teams in our division and the top best teams on our schedule to date (in that regard, the Saints may be a debateable choice).

George Cumby
12-04-2012, 02:51 PM
ThanksTed!

mraynrand
12-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Assuming everyone gets back who they can and is playing at full strength, the NFC (which will win the Superb Owl) ranks as follows:

Giants
49ers
Packers
Redskins
Falcons
Seattle
Bears

I can't see the Packers getting past both the Niners and Giants, but they could possibly beat one of them. Could see a scenario where the Packers, playing the Vikings in the final game, attempt to lose to 1) draw Vikings at home instead of the Redskins and/or 2) insure playing ATL after Wildcard win.

Bossman641
12-04-2012, 03:00 PM
If Barclay to RT and Lang back to LG solidifies the OL, I think this team is a SB contender. The only wrinkle is that I keep waiting for our luck to change and for guys to stop getting injured and it just isn't happening. I mean, what are the chances that Jennings comes back after basically 8 games off, only to lose Nelson after 11 plays? This whole year has just been one big tease.

woodbuck27
12-04-2012, 03:10 PM

If that win over the RAMS is important in your view...fine. I excluded them 'mostly ' because of their position in the NFL Power Ranking at the time of our game with them. Today they are ranked higher at #17 and ahead of both the Lions at #21 and Vikings at #18 who've both fallen off.

The Saints are at #16.

The COLTS at #11.

The BEARS at #10.

The Seahawks at #9.

The GIANTS at #8.

The PACKERS at #6 moving up from #9 last week.

GO PACK GO !

Patler
12-04-2012, 03:14 PM
If Barclay to RT and Lang back to LG solidifies the OL, I think this team is a SB contender. The only wrinkle is that I keep waiting for our luck to change and for guys to stop getting injured and it just isn't happening. I mean, what are the chances that Jennings comes back after basically 8 games off, only to lose Nelson after 11 plays? This whole year has just been one big tease.

Was there ever a bigger tease than last year??? From 15-1 to one and done.

I read today that Nelson actually tweaked his hamstring during warmups, but thought he could play. The odd stride on the play going out of bounds further aggravated it.

Pugger
12-04-2012, 03:59 PM
If we had a oline that could run block we might, might, play .500 ball without rodgers. With the oline we have we might, might, make it to half time within 10 pts without rodgers.

Barclay did a decent job run blocking so I hope that alone will help him stay at RT and MM puts Lang back at LG if his ankle gets better.

Cheesehead Craig
I think it's all Slocum's doing with this team being so successful with all the injuries. That's why Crosby was in his swoon, because Slocum was focusing all his mental powers on keeping the rest of the team together and sacrificing Crosby. Now that he has shored up the rest of the team, he focused on Crosby in the 2nd half and he was successful. It's Slocum I tell you.

Cheesehead Craig
Was there ever a bigger tease than last year???

Yes, Jennifer from my freshman year in college.

woodbuck27
12-04-2012, 04:04 PM

Was that Jennifer 8 ?

Zool
12-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Did I break any of the Forum Rules?

Have I acted disrespectfully?

He quite simply asked how you came to that conclusion. You may see your own reply for the reason I've brought this up.

LegandofthePack15
12-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Assuming everyone gets back who they can and is playing at full strength, the NFC (which will win the Superb Owl) ranks as follows:

Giants
49ers
Packers
Redskins
Falcons
Seattle
Bears

I can't see the Packers getting past both the Niners and Giants, but they could possibly beat one of them. Could see a scenario where the Packers, playing the Vikings in the final game, attempt to lose to 1) draw Vikings at home instead of the Redskins and/or 2) insure playing ATL after Wildcard win.

I'd rank Atlanta as the best team in the NFC. They have an awesome offense. Unlike "Erin" Rodgers, "Ice" Ryan doesn't hold the ball forever. They can run the ball when they need to. Their top 2 wrs are pretty good. Gonzalez, whom Thompson failed to trade for some years back, is still playing at a high level.

Their D is solid.

woodbuck27
12-04-2012, 06:14 PM
He quite simply asked how you came to that conclusion. You may see your own reply for the reason I've brought this up.

I simply and politely gave Patler a response and went on to further try to qualify that response RE: why I excluded our game Vs the St. Louis RAMS in my list of games to possibly do so.

I went so far to highlight the wins as well. I placed emphasis on those wins not the loss's. If we agreeed on that ...then, an analysis might begin.

woodbuck27
12-04-2012, 06:29 PM
I'd rank Atlanta as the best team in the NFC. They have an awesome offense. Unlike "Erin" Rodgers, "Ice" Ryan doesn't hold the ball forever. They can run the ball when they need to. Their top 2 wrs are pretty good. Gonzalez, whom Thompson failed to trade for some years back, is still playing at a high level.

Their D is solid.

Just based on the facts .......'just the facts mame' Joe Friday

The Falcons are 7th on 'O" and 5th on 'D' and only one loss this season but experts claim their schedule is soft. (12)

The GIANTS are 6th on 'O' and 9th on 'D'. (15)

The 49ers are 14th on 'O' and 1st on 'D'. (15)

The Bears are 13th on 'O' and 2nd on 'D'. (15)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Packers are 12th on 'O' and 13th on 'D'. (25)

We need to see CW and CM and SS on 'D' and JN on 'O' to get back and in the groove and for our OL and the team overall to get more healthy for any realistic chance of winning the NFC. That's just my opinion and I'm NOT trying to piss on anyone parade.

I want the Packers to go back to the show and win. As it is now I'm thinking that looks unrealistic.

GO PACKERS !

Joemailman
12-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Their D is solid.

Well, they were the best team in the NFC in 2010 too. That is until Erin ripped them apart while Ice was completing a perfect TD pass to Tramon Williams.

Their defense is average.

George Cumby
12-04-2012, 06:57 PM

Naawww. Christine C. Total eff with my head tease.

George Cumby
12-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Well, they were the best team in the NFC in 2010 too. That is until Erin ripped them apart while Ice was completing a perfect TD pass to Tramon Williams.

Don't feed the trolls!

mmmdk
12-04-2012, 07:04 PM
It's QB league now; don't ever forget that! In 10 years we might have our own "Ponder" kid.

Bossman641
12-04-2012, 10:38 PM

This comment wasn't meant to be prophetic. Now Starks...OMG.

HarveyWallbangers
12-05-2012, 12:18 AM

The Steelers really haven't stayed afloat without Big Ben. I know they finally won a game, but they lost the first two games without him. And they probably would have lost to the Chiefs if Big Ben hadn't been in the game long enough to get them 10 points in the first half. There aren't many teams with a superstar QB that could stay afloat, IMHO.

LegandofthePack15
12-05-2012, 12:40 AM

That was 2010. The Falcons are a better team today than they were back then; more experienced, too. Their record speaks volumes.

Maybe the Packers are the Falcons' achilles heel, just like the Giants are the Packers'. But the Falcons, at least this year, don't seem to have any weaknesses.

Green Bay can't run the ball consistently, the OL sucks, and the defense, now that's an average D. New York has a hard time against teams that can run the ball against them. San Francisco lacks elite qb plays.

The road to New Orleans likely will go through Atlanta.

denverYooper
12-05-2012, 08:19 AM

Their D is solid.

Their awesome offense is scoring only 1.7 more ppg than the Packers. And their running game is averaging 3.8 ypp vs 3.9 for the Packers. They are also averaging 91.2 ypg vs GB's 105.

And I'll take the guy who (frustratingly) occasionally holds the ball too long over the guy who throws 5 picks any day. Matty "Ice" gets pretty unsettled when he's punched in the mouth.

Bossman641
12-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Falcons are frauds. No chance they win the SB.

mraynrand
12-05-2012, 08:37 AM

Dear Lord ...RELAX Patler. Do we need to look at anything NFL, to draw attention to and satisfy 'any of your need', to justify your passions over TT and MM?

RAW ! RAW !! RAW !!!!

TT and MM are AWESOME !!

Good post. Bring on the Zool!

mraynrand
12-05-2012, 08:38 AM

yup

pbmax
12-05-2012, 09:11 AM
That was 2010. The Falcons are a better team today than they were back then; more experienced, too. Their record speaks volumes.

Maybe the Packers are the Falcons' achilles heel, just like the Giants are the Packers'. But the Falcons, at least this year, don't seem to have any weaknesses.

Green Bay can't run the ball consistently, the OL sucks, and the defense, now that's an average D. New York has a hard time against teams that can run the ball against them. San Francisco lacks elite qb plays.

The road to New Orleans likely will go through Atlanta.

Defense is worse this year. And Ryan, holding the ball or not, has a noodle arm. Very ripe for INTs when he goes medium to deep with a pass.

woodbuck27
12-05-2012, 11:56 AM
yup

but....The record shows:

Just like a TIMEX. They (the FALCONS) just keep on ticking.

How many loss's in 2012. Ohh.....'only' ONE. Damn but it's easy to be a nay sayer in 'some' regards. ;-)

Objective positiveness VS Subjective positiveness

woodbuck27
12-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Their awesome offense is scoring only 1.7 more ppg than the Packers. And their running game is averaging 3.8 ypp vs 3.9 for the Packers. They are also averaging 91.2 ypg vs GB's 105.

And I'll take the guy who (frustratingly) occasionally holds the ball too long over the guy who throws 5 picks any day. Matty "Ice" gets pretty unsettled when he's punched in the mouth.

Taking a closer look at Matt Ryan and picks this season.

If you took away that 5 Pick game fr. Matt Ryans record this season. Your left with 8 picks. Who else in the NFL has 8 picks?

Aaron Rodgers.

Having posted that. Who would I want as my QB? Easy...Aaron Rodgers.

Matt Ryan and the Falcons must prove themselves in post season. They must do so under Matt Ryan at QB for the first time.

I watched Matt Ryan closely in last weeks game Vs the SAINTS. A game that in which Drew Brees tossed five (5) picks. Brees hasn't done that before and I'll give him credit for busting his ass for a much needed win to give his team a realistic shot at the post season. Inspite of all those picks on Drew Brees, the Matt Ryan led Falcons couldn't put the Saints 'out of it' in that game. They couldn't deliver the kill shot. Matt Ryan didn't look comfortable as that game progressed in front of his home fans.

The Falcons 'most likely' win home field advantage in the playoffs. They have to win two games at home in the playoffs to advance to the Super Bowl. Their record in the regular season will mean little in the post season.

The Atlanta Falcons 'in fact ' have a solid 'O' and 'D' relative to other top NFL teams. The current stat's support that fact. What does that mean in a head to head matchup with any of the other five teams they will face to get to the Super Bowl?

It will depend on that day 'in the playoffs'. The team the Falcons will put on the field and what they will do on that day to get to the next game. It will depend on the matchup; on which team has the best game plan, and how well that's executed. It will depend on 'the intangibles'. Which team wins the battle of the clock utilizing a balance on pass first, combined with a solid running game. It will depend on turnovers. It will depend on Special team play. In order for a team to win it has to win two out of three in terms of Offense - Defense and Special Teams.

Do the Atlanta Falcons have such potential? Of course they do, but so will the five other teams in the NFC playoffs. The bottom line is the team that will win will be peaking at just the right time.

As Packer fans we're seeing our teams GM and coaching staff busting their ass's to give the Packers the best chance possible, with the best roster possible, to possibly get to the Falcons and take away any chance they have today to get to the Super Bowl.

There are at least six other NFC teams doing the same thing.

GO PACKERS !

Fritz
12-05-2012, 06:45 PM
I always love it when people use that "if you take away ________...."

If you took away that fifty pounds my ex-wife gained in three months, she'd have looked okay.

If you take away that one time I punched you and fucked your girlfriend, I've been a really good friend.

If you take away those two days where I kicked a homeless guy and laughed and then robbed a little old lady, you would say I'm a real humanitarian.

George Cumby
12-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Matty "Ice" career QBR: 89.6
"Erin" Rodgers career QBR: 104.3

mraynrand
12-05-2012, 08:29 PM
If you take away that one time I punched you and fucked your girlfriend, I've been a really good friend.

if you give Drew back, I will forgive you

Joemailman
12-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Matty "Ice" career QBR: 89.6
"Erin" Rodgers career QBR: 104.3

Aaron Rodgers: 6 games; 4-2; 15 TD passes, 4 INT's
Matt Ryan: 3 games; 0-3; 3 TD passes; 4 INT's

denverYooper
12-05-2012, 08:59 PM

Where has Snake been?

ThunderDan
12-05-2012, 09:00 PM

I agree.

I watched the Saints - Falcons both times and was not impressed.

Even with 5 turnovers the Falcons couldn't put the Saints away. They should have been up 24 points or more.

KYPack
12-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Where has Snake been?

His goofy girlfriend stopped copping his knob.

But that's just a guess.

woodbuck27
12-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Atlanta has the 25 worst or 8th easiest SOS ( Strength Of Schedule).

By the way the PATS have the easiest SOS and the PACKERS the 2nd easiest SOS and that might be at least a small factor in us getting to the playoffs this season inspite of all the injuries.

GO PACK !

Fritz
12-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Where has Snake been?

He's been, uh, fucking your woman.

Bossman641
12-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Atlanta has the 25 worst or 8th easiest SOS ( Strength Of Schedule).

By the way the PATS have the easiest SOS and the PACKERS the 2nd easiest SOS and that might be at least a small factor in us getting to the playoffs this season inspite of all the injuries.

GO PACK !

Where did you find that? I find it hard to believe the Packers have played the second easiest schedule.

Bretsky
12-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Remember good OLD CLIFFY CRISTL

He use to say the NFL Teams are made with playmakers and if you have a few primetime players they'll make everybody arond them better ......

Rodgers..............dude REALLY elevates the play of this offense. With the makeshift OL and rotation of WR's ...it's truly amazing he's guided this team to where it is

Joemailman
12-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Where did you find that? I find it hard to believe the Packers have played the second easiest schedule.

Packers opponents have a record of 75-67-2, so it's probably been one of the tougher schedules. Their remaining schedule is 22-26.

Patler
12-07-2012, 07:30 AM
According to RedZone, the Patriots have the weakest, Packers second weakest:

http://www.theredzone.org/Features/NFLStrengthofSchedule.aspx

But without checking, it seems wrong because it does not seem to take into account the tie in the mix this year.

woodbuck27
12-07-2012, 08:14 AM

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/56896/2012-nfl-strength-of-schedule

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
12-07-2012, 08:24 AM
According to RedZone, the Patriots have the weakest, Packers second weakest:

But without checking, it seems wrong because it does not seem to take into account the tie in the mix this year.

It seems wrong !? Then take that up with the composer's of the SOS table.

SOS 'my definition':

The Strength Of Schedule (SOS) is based on the won - loss record of any teams opponents in any season's schedule (ie 2012) based on those opponents records in the previous season (ie 2011) or ...

a comparison of schedules in 2012 for all 32 NFL teams ( based on the opponents' 2011 W - L record ).

PACKERS !

mraynrand
12-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Basing SOS on 2011 records is absurd; teams change so much from week to week let alone year to year. Strength of schedule is worthless. Packers beat the Rams who beat the 49ers who beat the Packers. Loop de Doo!

woodbuck27
12-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Basing SOS on 2011 records is absurd; teams change so much from week to week let alone year to year. Strength of schedule is worthless. Packers beat the Rams who beat the 49ers who beat the Packers. Loop de Doo!

OK so..... redefine it to suit you.

Maybe..... call it 'SOS 'EXTRA'.

sharpe1027
12-07-2012, 11:06 AM

Haha. According to this statistic, the Packers are the strongest team in the league this year because they had the best record last year! Woo hoo! Also, any team that sweeps their division will have a weaker SOS by default because they gave 2 losses to each division team and they play them each twice.

sharpe1027
12-07-2012, 11:13 AM
This guy does a better job of explaining than I do.

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/green-bay-packers-currently-have-second-toughest-strength-of-schedule-in-nfl

Now consider that halfway through the year, the Packers have gone from second-easiest to second-toughest in the span of eight games."

Strength of schedule is based upon opponents’ winning percentage, and therein lies the problem, at least as it applies to the season in the rearview mirror. One of the issues in looking at the winning percentage from the previous season is that the numbers are skewed by the Packers’ own 15-1 record last season.

Every team that played the Packers last season had their opponents’ winning percentage boosted by Green Bay’s fantastic yet outlying 15-1 mark, while there’s no opportunity to count themselves as an opponent.

denverYooper
12-07-2012, 11:44 AM

Yah. Most systems seem to have them between 5-10th most difficult schedule.

mraynrand
12-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Every team that played the Packers last season had their opponents’ winning percentage boosted by Green Bay’s fantastic yet outlying 15-1 mark, while there’s no opportunity to count themselves as an opponent.

And this despite the obvious fact that the Packers often beat themselves.

With respect to the Seattle game, what is the official's SOS?

Bossman641
12-07-2012, 04:48 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/56896/2012-nfl-strength-of-schedule

GO PACKERS !

Thanks Woody.

I personally don't see a lot of importance in basing the 2012 SOS on a team's 2011 record though.

Cheesehead Craig
12-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks Woody.

I personally don't see a lot of importance in basing the 2012 SOS on a team's 2011 record though.

It's pretty meaningless to do it that way actually.

Zool
12-08-2012, 12:46 AM
It's pretty meaningless to do it that way actually.

Way back when, it was a fun thing to do in July to try and guess a teams record fir the coming year. With the schedule being all set each year other than 2 games, it's about worthless now. All that matters is the playoffs.

woodbuck27
12-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks Woody.

File it under ....... 'Almost Useless Information'.