PDA

View Full Version : Palmer expects to play against Packers

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Associated Press
Posted: 9 hours ago

CINCINNATI (AP) - Carson Palmer said Sunday he expects to play in the Cincinnati Bengals' preseason game next Monday against Green Bay, provided he doesn't have any swelling this week in his surgically rebuilt knee.

Coach Marvin Lewis was noncommittal earlier about when his starting quarterback would get on the field for the first time. Later, Palmer said he plans to be under center against the Packers.

"I'm preparing to play. I'm practicing to play," Palmer said. "That's been part of the plan, part of the schedule. I'll see how I feel later in the week, but right now I'm expecting to play."

Palmer said he's had a little bit of swelling in the left knee, which was severely damaged during the Bengals' playoff loss to Pittsburgh in January. He has been working out during training camp without a significant setback, but didn't play in either of the first two preseason games.

"The thing we keep worrying about is swelling," Palmer said. "That's one of the things we need to worry about. As long as we don't have a bunch of swelling and tenderness, I'll be ready to roll."

The game against Green Bay on Aug. 28 is important for Palmer. Lewis has insisted that the quarterback needs to play the last two preseason games to be ready for the season opener.

Last week, Palmer said he wasn't ready to get into a game and take his first hit.

"He wants to make sure he can perform his job the way he knows how to perform it when he steps out onto the field," Lewis said Sunday. "He doesn't want to go out there before he feels like he is whole to do his job. That's a good thing. We have time, and I think that's what he's very conscious of."

Lewis declined to say whether Palmer could still play in the Sept. 10 opener at Kansas City if he sits out the Green Bay game.

Anthony Wright has started the first two preseason games in place of Palmer, with Doug Johnson next in line. Wright is expected to start against Kansas City if Palmer isn't ready.

Lewis indicated Sunday that running back Chris Perry probably won't be ready for the season opener. Perry had surgery on his knee and ankle in the offseason.

"He's about on schedule where the doctors thought he would be," Lewis said.

Reserve cornerback Rashad Bauman is expected to have surgery Monday to repair a torn patella tendon, which he injured during a 44-31 victory at Buffalo on Friday night.

Also Sunday, the Bengals waived No. 4 quarterback Erik Meyer and safety Tony Bua, who was on the practice squad last season.