PDA

View Full Version : Are the Packers Tough?

LegandofthePack15
12-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Once upon a time, on a Sunday afternoon, a gunslinger replaced an injured Don What's-His-Name and led the Packers to victory in the clutch. The following Sunday, this gunslinger started his very first game for the Green Bay Packers. No other quarterback would start a game for the Packers again...until the toot-toot train departed from the station without The Gunslinger on it.

In a league full of fragile men, The Gunslinger was the toughest of them all.

Point is, Favre used just tape up an injury, maybe pop in some painkillers, and he would be ready for battle on Sundays.

I can understand the season-ending injuries that guys like Bishop, Smith and Benson sustained. But guys like Nelson, Jennings, Shields and Matthews? WTF!?!?! Quit being wimps. Tape it up, stretch it out, and play!

In one of my competitive, 12-teams money FF leagues, I -being the homer I am- have Jennings, Nelson and Packer D/ST to go along with Cobb, Finley and Crosby. Jennings probably cost me a bunch of games. Last week, I needed a victory to clinch my division and therefore make the playoffs; a loss and I'm out. Nelson just had to go and pull out with a fucking hammy injury - I lost and my season is done :x :-(:-x

Hammy injury? Pulease, girls (Nelson and Mathews)! Some short shut down corner once shut down Darren Charles with both hamstrings at only 60% healthy.

Sorry but I just gotta vent!

packer4life
12-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Once upon a time, on a Sunday afternoon, a gunslinger replaced an injured Don What's-His-Name and led the Packers to victory in the clutch. The following Sunday, this gunslinger started his very first game for the Green Bay Packers. No other quarterback would start a game for the Packers again...until the toot-toot train departed from the station without The Gunslinger on it.

Point is, Favre used just tape up an injury, maybe pop in some painkillers, and he would be ready for battle on Sundays.

I can understand the season-ending injuries that guys like Bishop, Smith and Benson sustained. But guys like Nelson, Jennings, Shields and Matthews? WTF!?!?! Quit being wimps. Tape it up, stretch it out, and play!

In one of my competitive, 12-teams money FF leagues, I -being the homer I am- have Jennings, Nelson and Packer D/ST to go along with Cobb, Finley and Crosby. Jennings probably cost me a bunch of games. Last week, I needed a victory to clinch my division and therefore make the playoffs; a loss and I'm out. Nelson just had to go and pull out with a fucking hammy injury - I lost and my season is done :x :-(:-x

Hammy injury? Pulease, girls (Nelson and Mathews)! Some short shut down corner once shut down Darren Charles with both hamstrings at only 60% healthy.

This rings way too close to home.

My FF team (12 team, huge pot) has Nelson, Rodgers, Jennings, Starks, and Packers D/ST. I loaded up waiting for the offensive juggernaut. It never came, and I am the laughing stock of my league :(

mraynrand
12-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Favre was a freak of nature and will power. There just aren't that many guys like him in the league. That's why he was so special. To expect that every player will be able to play though injuries is not logical. Stubby is plenty tough, but he's also plenty smart. His policy towards injuries is to protect the players and bring them back healthy as possible. This accomplishes two goals: 1) the players are healed, can play effectively, and don't risk further, more severe injury and 2) he has the support, admiration, and loyalty of his players, because they know he places their interests at the top of his priorities. This inevitably leads to better production from players. Even so, the training staff and Stubby aren't perfect, so that some guys may come back too soon or remain on the sidelines too long, but it's really hard to tell from a fan's perspective when either is happening.

Tony Oday
12-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Favre was addicted to pain killers! Nelson and Mathews are needed at top shape not 80% and we have the depth on the team to wait until they are tip top.

George Cumby
12-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Favre was a freak of nature and will power. There just aren't that many guys like him in the league. That's why he was so special. To expect that every player will be able to play though injuries is not logical. Stubby is plenty tough, but he's also plenty smart. His policy towards injuries is to protect the players and bring them back healthy as possible. This accomplishes two goals: 1) the players are healed, can play effectively, and don't risk further, more severe injury and 2) he has the support, admiration, and loyalty of his players, because they know he places their interests at the top of his priorities. This inevitably leads to better production from players. Even so, the training staff and Stubby aren't perfect, so that some guys may come back too soon or remain on the sidelines too long, but it's really hard to tell from a fan's perspective when either is happening.

I think M3 holds guys back longer to keep fresh legs in the stable come December and January.

denverYooper
12-07-2012, 03:33 PM
I think M3 holds guys back longer to keep fresh legs in the stable come December and January.

They are probably erring on the side of letting guys take some extra rehab time since they are in a pretty good spot with their record.

Fritz
12-07-2012, 04:03 PM

I just don't understand why you're not in the nfl. You supposedly shut down some nfl player in junior high or something, and you're tougher than Clay Matthews.

KYPack
12-07-2012, 05:42 PM
I just don't understand why you're not in the nfl. You supposedly shut down some nfl player in junior high or something, and you're tougher than Clay Matthews.

The "shutdown corner legend" was his first foray into fantasy football.

Joemailman
12-07-2012, 06:57 PM
MM has mentioned before that because Matthews' hamstring problems are chronic, more caution is used. With this being Jordy's 2nd hamstring injury this year, the same probably applies.

mraynrand
12-07-2012, 07:46 PM
The "shutdown corner legend" was his first foray into fantasy football.

that's funny stuff. You just got repped.

mission
12-07-2012, 09:13 PM
I remember when the Packers played the 49ers a few years ago and they were supposed to be so tough -- we were tough. Not the same team anymore. I've always thought we were underrated in that area, but now we're just not tough. Even as overachievers in that area.

Zool
12-08-2012, 12:43 AM
Where can I pick up a hamstringometer that will tell me the health of hamstrings in an easy to read percentage? That would be a handy device.

Pugger
12-08-2012, 07:59 AM
If we had our full compliment of players available I submit we'd be tough enough. Its hard to be a force when you have so many starters in street clothes.

ThunderDan
12-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Where can I pick up a hamstringometer that will tell me the health of hamstrings in an easy to read percentage? That would be a handy device.

Funny you should mention that.

I have a friend who is the CEO of a local start-up that is trying to do just that. They actual went out to Arizona this last spring to do measurements on pitchers arms in MLB. The funny thing is the pitchers were the ones that didn't want the results for 2 reasons.

1. If management knows my elbow legament is ready to tear; they aren't going to sign me for 4 years and $60M.

2. If they know that their elbow was ready to pop they wouldn't throw as hard trying to protect themself from injury becoming less effective.

LegandofthePack15
12-09-2012, 03:09 AM
MM has mentioned before that because Matthews' hamstring problems are chronic, more caution is used. With this being Jordy's 2nd hamstring injury this year, the same probably applies.

Matthews is elite but he's a hamstring pull waiting to happen. I think Matthews should henceforth be known as WIMP Clay until he proves otherwise.

Rodgers was once known as "Erin." Then "Erin" won the Super Bowl and then the NFL MVP and everybody started calling him Rodgers or A-Rod (which, btw, is a trademark infringement as some 'roid popping, highly paid, third baseman for the Yankees has already trademarked the name). Sucks that this season, A-Rod is playing like Erin.

Don't even get me started with "Bert or Brent."

On an unrelated note, I was sad when they cancelled "United States of Tara." Great show.

LegandofthePack15
12-09-2012, 03:13 AM
I remember when the Packers played the 49ers a few years ago and they were supposed to be so tough -- we were tough. Not the same team anymore. I've always thought we were underrated in that area, but now we're just not tough. Even as overachievers in that area.

Agreed.

LegandofthePack15
12-09-2012, 03:17 AM
Favre was addicted to pain killers! Nelson and Mathews are needed at top shape not 80% and we have the depth on the team to wait until they are tip top.

Where was that depth when the Packers played the Giants of New York?

woodbuck27
12-09-2012, 07:54 AM
Where was that depth when the Packers played the Giants of New York?

I wonder what the Packer players were doing on Saturday night 'the Eve of that game' @ GIANTS? Did the glitter of the lights of New York somehow stun them, because they weren't in that game.

They were playing the GIANTS and.... not up for that game !! Why ? That makes no sense. So I guess it's just best to forget that mess.

GO PACKERS !

Bossman641
12-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Matthews is elite but he's a hamstring pull waiting to happen. I think Matthews should henceforth be known as WIMP Clay until he proves otherwise.

Rodgers was once known as "Erin." Then "Erin" won the Super Bowl and then the NFL MVP and everybody started calling him Rodgers or A-Rod (which, btw, is a trademark infringement as some 'roid popping, highly paid, third baseman for the Yankees has already trademarked the name). Sucks that this season, A-Rod is playing like Erin.

Don't even get me started with "Bert or Brent."

On an unrelated note, I was sad when they cancelled "United States of Tara." Great show.

Yes, first in passer rating. Third in TD. What a scrub.

ThunderDan
12-09-2012, 06:47 PM

I wish we could find that elite QB again to lead our team.:whaa:

LegandofthePack15
12-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Yes, first in passer rating.

Ah, passer rating leader from a guy who refuses to throw hail marys and would rather take sacks than throw the ball away.

The original gunslinger, the great John Unitas, had a 78.2 career qb rating. Says it all: qb rating is overrated - not to mention, misleading.

I am gonna start calling Rodgers "Erin" until he starts playing like an MVP again. :-D

Rutnstrut
12-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Ah, passer rating leader from a guy who refuses to throw hail marys and would rather take sacks than throw the ball away.

The original gunslinger, the great John Unitas, had a 78.2 career qb rating. Says it all: qb rating is overrated - not to mention, misleading.

I am gonna start calling Rodgers "Erin" until he starts playing like an MVP again. :-D

Rodgers is more worried about personal stats than wins, he is a good QB but not great. But the "experts" here will come to his defense, of course these are the same experts that say a great running game isn't needed also.

Bossman641
12-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Rodgers is more worried about personal stats than wins, he is a good QB but not great. But the "experts" here will come to his defense, of course these are the same experts that say a great running game isn't needed also.

You are a fucking moron

pbmax
12-09-2012, 08:48 PM

I have the 2010 Super Bowl Championship to back up my argument. You?

Joemailman
12-09-2012, 09:07 PM

How was that?

George Cumby
12-09-2012, 10:59 PM

And how is it that you know what it is that motivates Rodgers? Do you have some personal insight? Are you omniscient? Do you have an amazingly persuasive argument upon which your statement is based? If so, please share.

HarveyWallbangers
12-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Why are people getting drawn into an argument with tank and his alter ego? You people have been members for at least four years.
:)

MadtownPacker
12-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Why are people getting drawn into an argument with tank and his alter ego? You people have been members for at least four years.
:)I have to admit it is kinda fun sitting back and watching it happen. But I agree, impossible to get worked up over anything he says. We really need a quality troll around here.

pbmax
12-09-2012, 11:04 PM
:)

Rutsnut is Tank as well?

Bossman641
12-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Rutsnut is Tank as well?

I dont think he is tank. He might be a favre relative though based on his dislike of the packers.

ThunderDan
12-09-2012, 11:24 PM
"Erin" now 50-25 as a starter.

Single season QB Rating record (122.5)
Only player in NFL history to throw for over 4,000 yards in each of the first two seasons as a starting QB
Only player in NFL history to throw 45+ touchdowns, and 6 or fewer interceptions in a single season
6× NFC Player of the Month
Threw the fewest interceptions (42) before throwing career touchdown 150 (Dan Marino threw 69 interceptions)

esoxx
12-09-2012, 11:28 PM
You are a fucking moron

Where is AtlPackFan when you need him?

ThunderDan
12-09-2012, 11:35 PM
"Erin" now 50-25 as a starter.

Single season QB Rating record (122.5)
Only player in NFL history to throw for over 4,000 yards in each of the first two seasons as a starting QB
Only player in NFL history to throw 45+ touchdowns, and 6 or fewer interceptions in a single season
6× NFC Player of the Month
Threw the fewest interceptions (42) before throwing career touchdown 150 (Dan Marino threw 69 interceptions)

BF - 199-123 61.8%
ARod at 66.6%

So the guy who plays only for his own stats has a higher winning percentage than the guy who gave up his own stats to help the team.

Iron Mike
12-10-2012, 06:54 AM

And then you'll tell us how awesome Coldplay is, amirite???

Pugger
12-10-2012, 07:45 AM
I just consider the source whenever this clown posts his bull shit. If he is still in love with Favre that's his problem. Maybe #4 will text him.

Zool
12-10-2012, 08:49 AM
I like it when we all start calling them stupid. Let's do that more.

You are a fucking moron

Thank you Bossman.

George Cumby
12-10-2012, 11:37 AM
I like it when we all start calling them stupid. Let's do that more.

For real? I've been holding back.

woodbuck27
12-10-2012, 11:56 AM
I have the 2010 Super Bowl Championship to back up my argument. You?

We certainly will need a decent running game to advance in the playoffs and be fortunate enough to get to and possibly win another Super Bowl. We saw evidence of such Vs the LIONS last night. We already have the QB to help see that through.

GO PACKERS !

Zool
12-10-2012, 12:23 PM
For real? I've been holding back.

Depends on your mood when you log in. Trolls be trollin and sometimes they need a good shit talking.

Cheesehead Craig
12-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Depends on your mood when you log in. Trolls be trollin and sometimes they need a good shit talking.

You are a stupid moron

woodbuck27
12-10-2012, 01:21 PM
You are a stupid moron

:trll:

George Cumby
12-10-2012, 01:24 PM
You are a stupid moron

Now THAT'S funny!

woodbuck27
12-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Now THAT'S funny!

errrrr....is it ? Ohh yes...it is.

Zool
12-10-2012, 04:13 PM
You are a stupid moron

Dammit...I did Nazi that coming.

Noodle
12-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Nobody will ever question Favre's toughness, regardless of where you stood in the Great Debate.

But it boggles my mind when people fail to see the utter stupidity of asking a guy who plays a position requiring explosive running (for example, Nelson and Matthews) to go out in a cold weather game on a gimpy hammy. A QB or lineman can maybe risk it, but you are just begging for re-injury to ask a CB, RB, OLB or WR to do it.

I support without question Stubby's caution in this regard. And I thank God that Tank's player management skills affect only his ability to win enough money in his FF league so that he can pay for gas in his Mom's car when she drives him to the mall to hang out and bore people with his "I shut down Darren Charles" stories.

George Cumby
12-10-2012, 10:57 PM
But it boggles my mind when people fail to see the utter stupidity of asking a guy who plays a position requiring explosive running (for example, Nelson and Matthews) to go out in a cold weather game on a gimpy hammy.

The reason they fail to see the utter stupidity is, well, because they are stupid. So don't let it boggle your mind, gast your flabber or plex your per.

Fritz
12-11-2012, 06:01 AM
I googled this Darren Charles. He's a dancer and choreographer, apparently.

Way to shut that mofo down in ninth grade, Legend!

Bet you can hardly wait to have grandchildren.

"Grandpa, Grandpa, tell us all about that time you shut down that dancer guy in your ninth grade scrimmage!"

Zool
12-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Nobody will ever question Favre's toughness, regardless of where you stood in the Great Debate.

But it boggles my mind when people fail to see the utter stupidity of asking a guy who plays a position requiring explosive running (for example, Nelson and Matthews) to go out in a cold weather game on a gimpy hammy. A QB or lineman can maybe risk it, but you are just begging for re-injury to ask a CB, RB, OLB or WR to do it.

I support without question Stubby's caution in this regard. And I thank God that Tank's player management skills affect only his ability to win enough money in his FF league so that he can pay for gas in his Mom's car when she drives him to the mall to hang out and bore people with his "I shut down Darren Charles" stories.

Doesnt he just use his dads credit card?

woodbuck27
12-11-2012, 09:52 AM

Thank GOD Aaron Rodgers is now trailing RG3, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning in QB Rating. That argument may go by the wayside.

A big part of that drop in QB rating. Because he's now starting to use his athletic skills to win football games AND 'protect the football'.

GO Aaron Rodgers...GO PACKERS !

Joemailman
12-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Thank GOD Aaron Rodgers is now trailing RG3, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning in QB Rating. That argument may go by the wayside.

A big part of that drop in QB rating. Because he's now starting to use his athletic skills to win football games AND 'protect the football'.

GO Aaron Rodgers...GO PACKERS !

Thank God Aaron Rodgers has finally decided to use his athletic skills to win football games.

ThunderDan
12-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Thank God Aaron Rodgers has finally decided to use his athletic skills to win football games.

I know. We were 15-1 last year and 8-4 this year before ARod decided to use his athletic skills. Since then we are 1-0.