PDA

View Full Version : 2012 is 'a breakout year' for WR James Jones but is he being underutilized ?

woodbuck27
12-09-2012, 10:26 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000107638/article/james-jones-explains-breakout-for-green-bay-packers

James Jones explains breakout for Green Bay Packers

By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer ... Published: Dec. 8, 2012 at 08:41 p.m.

Note woodbuck27:

In the last three games. Lions; GIANTS and Vikings >>> James Jones has been targeted a total of six (6) times with four (4) receptions, a 17.5 yard avg. and 1 TD to bring his season total to a team leading nine (9) TD's.

In the blowout loss to the GIANTS James Jones was completely ignored with zero targets.

Has anyone been seeing this;wondering why James Jones seems to be ignored of late?

In games where James Jones is targeted 6-7 times he's productive.

ie ... In games Vs: 49ers; Saints; Colts; Texans and Cardinals >>> James Jones was targeted a total of 33 times and made 20 receptions for a 12.05 avg. and eight (8) TD's.

GO PACKERS !

Joemailman
12-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Maybe teams are starting to slant their coverage towards Jones and someone else needs to step up.

mraynrand
12-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Maybe teams are starting to slant their coverage towards Jones and someone else needs to step up.

Maybe Finley will if they throw him the ball! Or jordy, if his hammy recovers. Or Jennings now that he's back. Or anyone if Rodgers has more than 1.8 seconds to throw the ball.

Joemailman
12-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Maybe Finley will if they throw him the ball! Or jordy, if his hammy recovers. Or Jennings now that he's back. Or anyone if Rodgers has more than 1.8 seconds to throw the ball.

Yeah, for a while there I think Rodgers had lost confidence in Finley and wouldn't throw him the ball, especially on 3rd down. Maybe last week was a turning point. Packers haven't really had their receiver corp all healthy at the same time this year. It will be interesting to see what they can do if it finally happens eventually.

red
12-09-2012, 12:20 PM

first defenses slanted to take away jordy, then they slanted to take away cobb, now they are also slanting to take away jones?

when you have all the weapons that we have in the passing game, there should be no way for teams to take away everyone

Packers4Glory
12-09-2012, 01:30 PM
the guys on the outside aren't getting free. Finley has been a non-factor for the most part so teams can help on the outside.

IF Finley gets his ass in gear and starts making some plays in the middle of the field, we'll see our outside getting more open looks for Rodgers to hit. But we have seen it a lot, even vs teams that have very suspect secondaries like the Lions. Our WR were not getting open even when Rodgers has had time.

This offense has stalled a lot this yr. Either the line gives up a sack or a hold...or we can't get open, or drop balls. Other than the line Finley really is the key to this offense opening up and putting up big numbers. Even w/ Nelson, or Jennings, missing time there are enough weapons at WR to put a hurting on teams. But not if our TE can't own the middle of the field.

pbmax
12-09-2012, 02:05 PM
I think this year is best explained by the pass protection. You blitz Rodgers so they know you're coming? Everyone adjusts and he gets rid of the ball and they hang 6 TDs on the Texans.

You can rush four and put pressure on him, especially up the middle while playing coverage? After he was already worried about the LT? And then was worried that Bulaga was replaced by a pod person. His eyes and feet are focused too much on pass rush. Sometimes its unwarranted. But it has been warranted too much this year.

red
12-09-2012, 03:13 PM
I think this year is best explained by the pass protection. You blitz Rodgers so they know you're coming? Everyone adjusts and he gets rid of the ball and they hang 6 TDs on the Texans.

You can rush four and put pressure on him, especially up the middle while playing coverage? After he was already worried about the LT? And then was worried that Bulaga was replaced by a pod person. His eyes and feet are focused too much on pass rush. Sometimes its unwarranted. But it has been warranted too much this year.

rodgers has also has had 5 or 6 seconds to hold onto the ball and can't find anyone open

pbmax
12-09-2012, 03:29 PM
rodgers has also has had 5 or 6 seconds to hold onto the ball and can't find anyone open

Absolutely. He has been his own worst enemy at times.

Pugger
12-09-2012, 04:50 PM

Yes, Rodgers does hold onto the ball too long but if his WRs would get open...

rbaloha1
12-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Unable to determine.

VegasPackFan
12-09-2012, 06:31 PM
I've seen quite a few rollouts where he could get the 1st, but then tries to force a great throw downfield for naught. He needs to run a little bit more.

Kiwon
12-10-2012, 04:02 AM
Jones had his first drop in a while. An easy one, too.

Pugger
12-10-2012, 07:47 AM

He drops the easy ones and catches the spectacular ones. :cnf:

Zool
12-10-2012, 08:50 AM
I've seen quite a few rollouts where he could get the 1st, but then tries to force a great throw downfield for naught. He needs to run a little bit more.

I'd much rather an incomplete than a concussion to Rodgers who has a history of them.

rbaloha1
12-10-2012, 10:17 AM

Yea, that was a surprising number.

AR throws to whoever is open. Although the Packers are attempting to Jennings more.

denverYooper
12-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Yea, that was a surprising number.

AR throws to whoever is open. Although the Packers are attempting to Jennings more.

I wish this were true but he's been looking for Cobb a lot lately and overlooking some open throws.

LEWCWA
12-10-2012, 10:28 AM
the guys on the outside aren't getting free. Finley has been a non-factor for the most part so teams can help on the outside.

IF Finley gets his ass in gear and starts making some plays in the middle of the field, we'll see our outside getting more open looks for Rodgers to hit. But we have seen it a lot, even vs teams that have very suspect secondaries like the Lions. Our WR were not getting open even when Rodgers has had time.

This offense has stalled a lot this yr. Either the line gives up a sack or a hold...or we can't get open, or drop balls. Other than the line Finley really is the key to this offense opening up and putting up big numbers. Even w/ Nelson, or Jennings, missing time there are enough weapons at WR to put a hurting on teams. But not if our TE can't own the middle of the field.

Finely is the key, everyone is playing cover 2 and Finely has to abuse that middle to open the outside guys up.

Packers4Glory
12-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Finely is the key, everyone is playing cover 2 and Finely has to abuse that middle to open the outside guys up.

yup. even Rodgers postgame mentioned that they are seeing a lot of 2 deep and the running game can help pull teams out of that. Would be nice to see Finley own the middle and have a threat in running the ball.

There are some promising things starting to happen in the running game. Finley was absent most of the game again. I really thought he might see more targets in the middle to help w/ that 2 deep issue. If he and the running game gets going early, that will result in some big play potential on the outside.

thats still a big IF.

woodbuck27
12-10-2012, 11:31 AM
We were down 14-0 in the Lions @ Packers game. The run seemed more effective than the pass as we watched the game progress. We regained momentum when defensive lineman Mike Daniels returned a Lions fumble 43 yards for a touchdown, helping to put the Packers down only 14-10 at halftime.

On their opening drive of the second half, Aaron Rodgers gave the Packers the lead for the first time with a 27 yard touchdown run. A heads up play that IMO was the game changer. We saw Aaron Rodgers in alot of play action and moving up and out of the pocket to buy time; Packer receivers coming back to the ball to provide an opportunity to be targeted.

Re: this game and James Jones as a target:

Aaron Rodgers did target him but with throws that were far off the mark and that sometimes intentional due to coverage. I thought I heard the announcer or 'color guy' Chris Collinsworth say that Randall Cobb was six of six 'targeted', and that's impressive.

IMO we won that game:

a) Because of Aaron Rodgers legs and his patience and athletic ability; his willingness to move up and out of the pocket. He passed for just 173 yards and his quarterback rating was 80.7 as a long passing TD streak at Lambeau Field ended at 35 games last night; but his legs lifted us to that win.

b) Because we got production again in a running game and MM stuck with his RB's, 140 yards and 2 TD's. Green looked better and anyone should see the potential DuJuan 'Shorty' Harris gives our Packers

c) Because our secondary stepped up. CB Sam Shields return was impressive as was the play of CB's Tramon Williams and Casey Hayward (handling Megatron) very well, considering his strengths and keeping him from the big play. Aggresive 'man on man' CB play last night was a major reason we managed to win that game.

Our DB's gave no turf.

d) Because Rookie DE Mike Daniels gave us 'our second defensive TD' of this season. When we get Charles Woodson and Clay Matthews back; we'll enjoy more of that.

So it's obvious to me that we progressed in the Lions game. Hopefully we get vital defensive players back next week for the BEARS. That game is HUGE !

The DARK SIDE:

We must have a solid kicking game. I have no confidence in Mason Crosby now. TT and MM may have to seriously look to replace Mason Crosby as kicking is all about confidence and it seems to me his is gone. A kicker must be 'in the zone'; 'only' seeing the ball fly through the uprights.

GO PACKERS !

pbmax
12-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Let's just all agree not to Tweet at Finley or yell at him across a bar. No need to upset the apple cart there. If you see him driving, just pull over like he's an ambulance. Let the man concentrate!

woodbuck27
12-10-2012, 12:03 PM
yup. even Rodgers postgame mentioned that they are seeing a lot of 2 deep and the running game can help pull teams out of that. Would be nice to see Finley own the middle and have a threat in running the ball.

There are some promising things starting to happen in the running game. Finley was absent most of the game again. I really thought he might see more targets in the middle to help w/ that 2 deep issue. If he and the running game gets going early, that will result in some big play potential on the outside.

thats still a big IF.

I agree with you. Jermichael Finley didn't show up on my screen. I havn't got the info. on who was targeted and number of times yet...more on that (maybe) later.

GO PACKERS !