PDA

View Full Version : Salmon

GrnBay007
12-10-2012, 06:22 PM
My boy already started some serious training for his track season which doesn't even start till Feb. Coaches have said to eat chicken and fish all but 2 days of the week for your main meal. I can master the chicken but my favorite in the fish family is Tilapia and he's getting sick of it. PLUS all the really healthy peeps say Salmon is the best source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids.

I cooked Salmon once for him and he wasn't crazy about it.....but it was probably just the way I cooked it. I haven't had much experience with it tbh.

I would appreciate any tips on cooking it, recipes, the way to purchase it, etc. :)

Freak Out
12-10-2012, 06:37 PM
I love smoked most of all...but I do cook fresh a few ways...my favorite is probably using a blend of equal parts soy sauce, brown sugar and bourbon and letting the flesh side of a filet or steak soak for a bit...then throw it skin side down on the BBQ.

Freak Out
12-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Pacific cod is awesome...halibut is nice. Tilapia....never....I don't live in Central Africa. :)

red
12-10-2012, 07:09 PM
i ate fast food and junk food my whole life, and i was "fast" to put it modestly

tell the kid to sprint up and down a steep 15-20 foot high grass hill. that will do a whole hell of a lot more then..... fish

if it has to be fish. beer battered perch. let the kid grow some hair on his sack

hoosier
12-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Fast, simple but good: marinate the salmon fillets in soy sauce for 30 minutes, then cook under broiler for 5-6 minutes per side (skin side down first, then, when you flip it, remove skin and re-apply soy sauce. The results are much better with farm-raised salmon, which has a higher fat content and develops a nice thin, crispy layer. It gets smoky, so be sure to keep the range fan running. If you get wild Alaskan salmon, try something on the grill.

MJZiggy
12-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I have a great recipe that I use (and I don't like salmon--I eat it because it's "good for me.") but it's in the cookbook that hasn't been moved yet. I'll try to remember to grab it when I go by there tomorrow.

Brando19
12-10-2012, 10:17 PM
i ate fast food and junk food my whole life, and i was "fast" to put it modestly

tell the kid to sprint up and down a steep 15-20 foot high grass hill. that will do a whole hell of a lot more then..... fish

if it has to be fish. beer battered perch. let the kid grow some hair on his sack

You're a nut. I'd love to have a beer with you. I'd fall off the stool from laughing.

GrnBay007
12-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Doesn't it get really salty from the soy sauce?

GrnBay007
12-10-2012, 11:31 PM

lol beer battered fish = a hairy sack? hmmm

How fast were u red? What did you run and what were your times?

Freak Out
12-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Fuck no to farm raised salmon.

:soap:

Freak Out
12-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Doesn't it get really salty from the soy sauce?

yes....that's why you mix it with brown sugar and bourbon. 30 minutes is a while as well.

red
12-11-2012, 12:16 AM

i was a sprinter.

good that was way long ago, i don't remember my times.

40 was 4.5 flat when i was 15 (last time i ever officially got timed)
100 was around 11.5 or so
200 was mid 23's

my relay teams were also the fastest in our areas history

we were also not allowed to wear spikes at any tracks we ran on after my soph year. in my experience tacks take a couple tenths of a second off a 100 time over blanks

the numbers came with no training my senior year due to all the leg problems i had. i topped off around my sophmore year of high school and didn't get much faster until college. some kids get faster every year, some are fast as freshmen then top out. others get slower with age.

IMO speed is something that can't be taught. it just happens

wootah
12-11-2012, 06:21 AM
Go for the sushi/sashimi, GB. Saves you some time. The girlfriend has a great salmon recipe she uses from time to time. I'll ask her the details when I get home tonight.

hoosier
12-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Fuck no to farm raised salmon.

:soap:

Why? I'll grant you it's a different animal from wild, but what's with the all the negativity?

Patler
12-11-2012, 07:39 AM
One of our favorites:

Pepper Crusted Salmon

Remove skin (and greyish flesh if you don't like its stronger flavor).
Marinate in a mixture of soy sauce, lemon juice, minced freshh garlic and a little sugar.
Pat dry with paper towels.
Press to coat well with course ground black pepper.
Fry quickly in a hot pan with olive oil.

A few hints from having made this for years and years:
- It is not as peppery as you think it will be, something about frying the course ground pepper.
- You must use course ground pepper, regular ground pepper makes it awful, like a mouthful of pepper.
- I have tried other oils, nothing compares to this dish when it is fried in olive oil.
- make sure the pan and oil are good and hot before adding the fish.
- don't over cook it.
- I always prepare a few pieces of the marinated salmon without the pepper crust, just for the variation.

I have served this to countless guests, and it is always very well received.

George Cumby
12-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Just a thought:

Eggs and olive oil are great (and cheaper) sources of Omega-3s. 3-4 eggs for breakfast in the am, a shot of olive oil chased by a few ounces of pomegranate juice and my recovery is much improved.

FWIW..........

Little Whiskey
12-11-2012, 10:09 AM
the biggest mistake when cooking fish is overcooking it. remember you can eat fish raw. when it starts to flake take it off! I always cook it on the grill. keep that fish smell outside.

I was never a huge salmon fan, until my wife started making it similar to how Freak mentioned. the fishy taste is gone.

Another high Omega is Flax Seed.

wootah
12-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Ok, here we go. Forgive me if I misspell the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 370°F. You have to buy some quality pieces or filets. Put them on some aluminim foil in which you will wrap it in the end. Use a couple of layers because that aluminum foil is awfully thin in the US if I recall correctly.

Lay some anchovies on the salmon. Season with salt, pepper, dried garlic, paprika, parcelie. Pour a little white wine on it (fold the sides from the alu foil up so that you don't spill) and add a bit of butter. Close the alu foil with everything in it. It has to be completely sealed. The result is what we call a 'papillot'. Put the papillots in the warm oven for 20-25 minutes. Check after 20mins by opening the package and cutting the fish in half.

Great stuff to eat with some home made fries. Let me know if you tried it.

mraynrand
12-11-2012, 02:43 PM

popular Patler!

MadtownPacker
12-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Easy as fuck way?

Put whatever spices you want, or just some lemon slice and pepper or whatever the fuck flavor he wants. Wrap that shit in foil in a nice sealed package (fold up the ends). Throw that bitch in a hot oven for like 5 minutes. Thenyou can just throw it on some rice. Infuses the flavor quick and saves all the fatty goodness for the kid. Tell him to drink the fucking juice too.

Oh yeah, some ceviche (recipes online) is the shit too.

MadtownPacker
12-11-2012, 07:35 PM
popular Patler!
http://mimg.ugo.com/201101/8/7/5/162578/cuts/godfather_480_poster.jpg

Little Whiskey
12-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Easy as fuck way?

http://www.firstpeople.us/pictures/bear/1024x768/Bear-Catching-Salmon-1024x768.jpg

Patler
12-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Patler

popular Patler!

:smile::smile: Just meant I have served it for years and years, and it is a "go to" recipe whenever we have guests. Some friends and relatives who stay over a few days request it.

Patler
12-11-2012, 09:49 PM
http://mimg.ugo.com/201101/8/7/5/162578/cuts/godfather_480_poster.jpg

Just a Patler family Sunday dinner!

GrnBay007
12-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Ok, a few questions.....

A few of you said to marinate in a mixture or blend of several ingredients but don't say how much you use.

I'm still a lil concerned about using soy sauce, that's just loaded with sodium. Ever since I cooked for my dad when he was sick and on an extremely low sodium diet I really watch sodium intake.

GrnBay007
12-11-2012, 10:33 PM
These recipes sound really good. Going to give it a try this weekend.

Where do you even buy anchovies? lol

I love pepper....anxious to try that.

GrnBay007
12-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Easy as fuck way?

Put whatever spices you want, or just some lemon slice and pepper or whatever the fuck flavor he wants. Wrap that shit in foil in a nice sealed package (fold up the ends). Throw that bitch in a hot oven for like 5 minutes. Thenyou can just throw it on some rice. Infuses the flavor quick and saves all the fatty goodness for the kid. Tell him to drink the fucking juice too.

Oh yeah, some ceviche (recipes online) is the shit too.

I made it in the oven the first and only time I cooked it and I think I over-cooked it. I didn't wrap it in foil though....guess that helps.

SkinBasket
12-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Paula Deen knows more about cooking salmon than some mexican. Serve with pine nut couscous. The recipe looks like more work than it is, and is my favorite way to eat salmon outside of just rubbing it with olive oil and tossing some seasalt on it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pistachio-crusted-salmon-with-lemon-cream-sauce-recipe/index.html

Ingredients

1/4 cup finely chopped pistachios, plus more for garnish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 (4-ounce) fresh salmon fillets
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Lemon Cream Sauce, recipe follows

Directions

In a shallow dish, combine the pistachios, salt, and pepper. Dredge the salmon in the pistachio mixture, pressing gently to coat.

In a small skillet, heat the oil and garlic over medium heat. Add the salmon and cook until browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium; turn the salmon and cook until salmon flakes easily with fork, about 2 or 3 minutes more. Transfer the fillets to serving plates. Serve with Lemon Cream Sauce, and garnish with chopped pistachios, if desired.
Lemon Cream Sauce:

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper

In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the flour, whisking to combine and cook for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium; stir in the broth and cream and simmer until thickened, whisking frequently, about 3 minutes. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, whisking to combine. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Pour into a serving dish and serve with the salmon.

wootah
12-12-2012, 02:03 AM
Where do you even buy anchovies?

Just take the canned ones. They have them pretty much in each supermarket over here...

3irty1
12-12-2012, 12:04 PM
During the summers when I was salmon seining I had to eat/cook salmon for nearly every goddamn meal.

The thing to remember about Salmon is that its a fatty fish like tuna, seabass, or trout. So you can pull of some stuff that lean fish like tilapia isn't really suitable for. Like eatting. But also grilling, smoking, broiling. Fatty fish generally preferable for raw preparations as well. The other thing to remember is that while fresh Salmon is delicious, it is too expensive to eat regularly for normal people, I'll share some of the ways I eat salmon at home.

The soy sauce+sugar+booze recipe is a winning combo. My favorite is miso+sugar+sake+mirin. Miso is like soysauce only as a paste that looks like peanut butter. It's significantly cheaper than soy sauce and gets better results as it makes for a pretty killer glaze under a broiler. Mirin is a super sweet, ultra cheap Chinese cooking wine. It wouldn't shock me if your supermarket carried both in their Asian section, but both last a long time so its worth finding.

Sour cream and dill is a classic combo so any recipe with those is probably nice. I used to make a weird dish on the boat that I called Coulibiac which is a russian salmon pie although my version is much simpler than the traditional recipe. I made it using a taiyaki mold. A taiyaki mold is basically a Japanese fish-shaped pudgie pie maker for making fish-shaped desserts. Instead of a sweet filling I'd use a filling of salmon scraps, sour cream, dill, and mushrooms. Unlike a pudgie pie maker though, instead of bread you use a batter so maybe its more like a belgian waffle with shit in the middle. Either way, they are a great combo of easy, cheap, fun, and even just a bit elegant. I still make these using canned salmon. I served them at a wedding once. Kids dig em.

Smoked salmon mousse is phenomenal and easy, its just flaked smoked salmon and sour cream mixed together in a bowl until you've got a fluffy pink spread. This can be incredibly cheap as well with canned salmon and liquid smoke and still pretty good.

You can google a recipe for Salmon patties. Those must be cheap and easy because my mom would fry them up when I was a kid.

I use salmon (or really any seafood) for making Paella all the time. I think we have a thread about that on the forum.

Note to those who try to use Salmon for sushi/sashimi: Be sure your fish was frozen. If you bought it in Wisconsin it was. But never pull a Salmon out of the water then cut it up and eat it raw. There are parasites and I once saw a fishing crew bedridden for a few days because they did this.

SkinBasket
12-12-2012, 01:53 PM
I can't afford smoked salmon these days. Wtf happened to make it a dish only kings, tyrants, and "occupy" protests can offord?

sooner6600
12-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Grn Bay 007

Buy the fish at an Itallian Deli!

Enjoy

MadtownPacker
12-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Paula Deen knows more about cooking salmon than some mexican.
I love Paula (mo butter MFer!!) so I cannot say a bad word about her. But what she is to good southern cooking my Mama is to good Mexican food. So put that in you clip and smoke it wigga!

SkinBasket
12-12-2012, 05:26 PM
The point was, salmon in not native to the Mexican diet.

GrnBay007
12-12-2012, 09:51 PM
I wish someone would cook for ME once in awhile!!! LOL

Is there an easy way to get that ugly skin off?

What are you talking about with that sour cream and dill combo? How much of each? You just dip the salmon in that?

3irty1
12-13-2012, 10:01 AM
I wish someone would cook for ME once in awhile!!! LOL

Is there an easy way to get that ugly skin off?

What are you talking about with that sour cream and dill combo? How much of each? You just dip the salmon in that?

There is actually a very easy way to get the skin off. The best tool for the job is a long unserrated knife. In the average kitchen with a german knife set, the best thing to use will be the long thin carving knife, if your knife is unusually sharp this will actually be harder. Start by placing your fillet on the cutting board skin down. Start as best you can at the tail end just cutting to separate the skin from the fish. You don't have to do a great job, the purpose is to get to a point where you have enough skin to hold on to. Now hold your knife stationary at a slightly downward angle. The trick is to grab the skin and move that while trying to hold the knife still. Salmon skin is tough and won't break unless your knife is very very sharp so tug it up and down the length of the knife. You'll pull the skin right out from under the fish doing this with a perfect yield everytime. This isn't something that needs a ton of practice either, you'll be better off trying this right from the start.

No don't just mix them together, I'm just saying that recipes you may find that include sour cream and dill are probably good stuff. Try making salmon mousse, spoon a little on a cracker with a little sprig of dill and see what I mean. Salmon mousse the proportions aren't that important. Start with all your salmon in a bowl, add a spoonful of sour cream and mix it together, and add more spoonfuls until it looks good and is the right consistency for a spread. Its going to taste good.

Deputy Nutz
12-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Salmon
easy mix soy sauce, spicy mustard, and brown sugar. So it runs like heavy syrup.

Put olive oil in a pan heat it up, salt your fish. when pan is hot, not smoking put fish skin side down. you don't want that pan too hot because your fish will cook to fast and you will get white bubble of fat on your fish. after about 5 to 6 minutes take off burner, glaze and then throw it under the broiler. It is messy on the pan but I don't care. leave extra glaze. Here is some good advice for your fish and son, pull out after 4 minutes. take fish out of pan, reglaze that shit. serve with some vegetables.

Also tell your son's coach to fuck off. Fish and chicken, teenage kids can eat any and all proteins, they are not training for the goddamn Olympics.

GrnBay007
12-14-2012, 12:59 AM
Salmon
easy mix soy sauce, spicy mustard, and brown sugar. So it runs like heavy syrup.

Put olive oil in a pan heat it up, salt your fish. when pan is hot, not smoking put fish skin side down. you don't want that pan too hot because your fish will cook to fast and you will get white bubble of fat on your fish. after about 5 to 6 minutes take off burner, glaze and then throw it under the broiler. It is messy on the pan but I don't care. leave extra glaze. Here is some good advice for your fish and son, pull out after 4 minutes. take fish out of pan, reglaze that shit. serve with some vegetables.

Also tell your son's coach to fuck off. Fish and chicken, teenage kids can eat any and all proteins, they are not training for the goddamn Olympics.

You don't flip it once while it's on the burner?

GrnBay007
12-14-2012, 01:16 AM
Also tell your son's coach to fuck off.

That was last spring...lol (not really, but wanted to) I email him and ask him what he would miss if we took a short vacation over spring break. The response I got was "short", you know the kind when you know they don't approve. Then the next day he makes it a point to pull my kid aside and tell him he definitely doesn't want to miss practice during spring break and doing so would just be silly. I was just asking a question...not like I had plans already in place and was only talking about 2 days! I'm not an idiot, of course I wouldn't plan the trip if he was going to miss much.

Damage has already been done with the chicken and fish thing...coach said it and anything I say isn't going to matter! lol I'm just MOM. He's really on a mission this year. As soon as football ended he started training for track that starts in Feb. He's got it in his head he wants to break a school record this year in the 400. Man, I hope he has a good season or things will be miserable in this house! He and I both keep getting emails from from recruiting service. We never signed up for it so don't know how they found us, but anyway he read in there that your PR's are really important your Junior yr. of HS. His coach got a letter from a school in Des Moines (not Drake :( ) inquiring about him and wanting all of his times from last season. Small school, but made him feel good.

So on I go with my search for good fish! lol

Why are some down on tilapia? I love that fish.

SkinBasket
12-14-2012, 07:10 AM

Because they are fish snobs. Most recipes season fish so much most people won't tell the difference between 2 dollar a pound fish and 20 dollar a pound fish.

3irty1
12-14-2012, 08:01 AM
Tilapia doesn't taste bad, it just doesn't taste like anything. Its hard to find culinary value in stuff that is that bland.

red
12-14-2012, 08:52 AM
That was last spring...lol (not really, but wanted to) I email him and ask him what he would miss if we took a short vacation over spring break. The response I got was "short", you know the kind when you know they don't approve. Then the next day he makes it a point to pull my kid aside and tell him he definitely doesn't want to miss practice during spring break and doing so would just be silly. I was just asking a question...not like I had plans already in place and was only talking about 2 days! I'm not an idiot, of course I wouldn't plan the trip if he was going to miss much.

Damage has already been done with the chicken and fish thing...coach said it and anything I say isn't going to matter! lol I'm just MOM. He's really on a mission this year. As soon as football ended he started training for track that starts in Feb. He's got it in his head he wants to break a school record this year in the 400. Man, I hope he has a good season or things will be miserable in this house! He and I both keep getting emails from from recruiting service. We never signed up for it so don't know how they found us, but anyway he read in there that your PR's are really important your Junior yr. of HS. His coach got a letter from a school in Des Moines (not Drake :( ) inquiring about him and wanting all of his times from last season. Small school, but made him feel good.

So on I go with my search for good fish! lol

i agree with others, coach sounds like a real douche bag

go on vacation just out of spite, he isn't gonna miss jack shit. family memories like that are few and far between. practice is just, well its just a fucking practice

and most college programs you can just walk onto when you get there. if you have the speed, they'll take you

red
12-14-2012, 08:57 AM
and tell him to get a new race, the 400 is the worst god damn pile of shit that the world has ever come up with

ugg, i hated that race. coach use to make me run the 4x400 relay. it was alway the last race of the day, and i use to feel like shit because of it the rest of the night

i use to run it in around 55 seconds (not good but fastest on the team cause everyone else didn't try). if your kid is going for a record, i'm guessing he's going for something in the 48 to 47 second range?

tell him to start running 600 has fast as he can for practice, it makes the 400's seem easier

Deputy Nutz
12-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Red, how could you run a 4.5 forty but only run a 11.5 hundred? I would think your hundred time should be around 11.0.

red
12-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Red, how could you run a 4.5 forty but only run a 11.5 hundred? I would think your hundred time should be around 11.0.

Hmm, maybe it was 10.5?

Damnit, now i'm gonna have to look shit up

I can tell you i was all acceleration with shitty top end speed and no stamina (probably from the junk food)

red
12-14-2012, 09:11 AM
I found one old clipping, it was in the 11's not the 10's

I have no clue how physics work

Patler
12-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Hmm, maybe it was 10.5?

Damnit, now i'm gonna have to look shit up

I can tell you i was all acceleration with shitty top end speed and no stamina (probably from the junk food)

I was much the opposite, poor start, decent top end speed and a lot of stamina in the sprints. Thus, I was a "quarter miler", the 440 yard dash in those days; and the mile relay. They tried to make me a half miler (880), but I hated that race. I would rather run the mile than the half.

Now those races are gone, and its all meters.

red
12-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Patler just answered the question without trying

I was 4.5 in the 40 YARD dash

11.5 in the 100 METER run. Which is the same as 110 yards

That makes more sence

red
12-14-2012, 10:20 AM
I was much the opposite, poor start, decent top end speed and a lot of stamina in the sprints. Thus, I was a "quarter miler", the 440 yard dash in those days; and the mile relay. They tried to make me a half miler (880), but I hated that race. I would rather run the mile than the half.

Now those races are gone, and its all meters.

i got a funny story that you'll probably enjoy patler

we had a guy on our team, not great but not bad either, who was a 200 and 400 guys. one day out of the blue the coach decides to throw him in the 800. of course the kid freaks out, he has no clue how to run the 800 because he's never run anything over the 400. so he comes to me and a couple other guys and asks how he should run it. well we tell him that the 800 is an all out sprint, just like the 400.

kid grabs some starting blocks and heads to the starting line. gun goes off and the kid explodes out of the blocks (he's of course the only one using blocks) and takes off like its the 100. the crowds going nuts as this kid is just destroying everyone else. after about 500 yards the kids has at least a 100 yard lead, all of a sudden, on the back stretch at about the 600 mark, while everyones cheering except for us (we're rolling around laughing), the kid just takes a nose dive face first into the track. he's legs just completely quit on him and he ended up passing out mid stride.

he came too about 10 minutes later and was wondering if he won. that poor bastard looked like he was on his deathbed for the next week

SkinBasket
12-14-2012, 01:29 PM
I had to run the 440 and and 4x40 and toss the fucking shot-put because I was the first boy in our grade to go through puberty and the other kids were all gay.

Patler
12-14-2012, 02:10 PM
i got a funny story that you'll probably enjoy patler

we had a guy on our team, not great but not bad either, who was a 200 and 400 guys. one day out of the blue the coach decides to throw him in the 800. of course the kid freaks out, he has no clue how to run the 800 because he's never run anything over the 400. so he comes to me and a couple other guys and asks how he should run it. well we tell him that the 800 is an all out sprint, just like the 400.

kid grabs some starting blocks and heads to the starting line. gun goes off and the kid explodes out of the blocks (he's of course the only one using blocks) and takes off like its the 100. the crowds going nuts as this kid is just destroying everyone else. after about 500 yards the kids has at least a 100 yard lead, all of a sudden, on the back stretch at about the 600 mark, while everyones cheering except for us (we're rolling around laughing), the kid just takes a nose dive face first into the track. he's legs just completely quit on him and he ended up passing out mid stride.

he came too about 10 minutes later and was wondering if he won. that poor bastard looked like he was on his deathbed for the next week

But for the goodness of God, that could have been me! I never did figure out how to run the half-mile. I either died over the last 220 and prayed I wouldn't collapse, or finished knowing I had too much left.

red
12-14-2012, 02:16 PM
But for the goodness of God, that could have been me! I never did figure out how to run the half-mile. I either died over the last 220 and prayed I wouldn't collapse, or finished knowing I had too much left.

i never figured out the 400. i would take off at about 80 or 90% and got for about 300 yards until i started to fade.

my old man i guess was pretty good at it back in the 60's. second fastest in wisconsin, ran it around 48 seconds. i have no clue how guys go that.

like you, my goal in the 400 was just don't collapse

Deputy Nutz
12-14-2012, 04:35 PM
In 8th grade I didn't want to run the 800 trial, so I sat in the locker room and I wrote down some random number that a buddy of mine told me to write down. Apparently I fucked up because it was determined that I would be the one running the 800. I did just like Red's buddy did, I blew out of the gate made it about 600 meters and had to walk the rest of the way to finish 2nd to last.

What a stupid race.

GrnBay007
12-14-2012, 07:13 PM
i agree with others, coach sounds like a real douche bag

go on vacation just out of spite, he isn't gonna miss jack shit. family memories like that are few and far between. practice is just, well its just a fucking practice

and most college programs you can just walk onto when you get there. if you have the speed, they'll take you

We went. Just waited till that tiny window between baseball and football. Right now he says he's not playing baseball this year. We'll see as time grows closer....lol Although I'd miss it a lot since he's been playing for 10 + yrs. it would be nice to have a summer free.

GrnBay007
12-14-2012, 07:34 PM
and tell him to get a new race, the 400 is the worst god damn pile of shit that the world has ever come up with

ugg, i hated that race. coach use to make me run the 4x400 relay. it was alway the last race of the day, and i use to feel like shit because of it the rest of the night

i use to run it in around 55 seconds (not good but fastest on the team cause everyone else didn't try). if your kid is going for a record, i'm guessing he's going for something in the 48 to 47 second range?

tell him to start running 600 has fast as he can for practice, it makes the 400's seem easier

Last year (10th) he ran a 51.2 in the 400 and 22.8 in the 200. His 4x400 and distance medley team went to state last year. They didn't do that well, I think placed 18th but all 4 of them will be back this year.

The records he is trying to break are 49.30 (400) and 21.60 (200).

I remember him hating the 400 when he first started it but now I don't know that he would change. He's a strong finisher.

red
12-14-2012, 08:11 PM
fast ass kid

that 1.2 seconds is gonna be tough to shave off in the 200. the 400 record though is easily within his reach. he already has more then enough speed, just work on that stamina. maybe go work out with the long distance folks every now and then

GrnBay007
12-14-2012, 08:29 PM
the 400 record though is easily within his reach.

haha hope so!! That record is about 40 yrs. old. That would be cool.

Old School
12-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Never liked fish much except beer battered perch and broiled walleye. My mom made canned salmon into patties or a loaf using bread crumbs and egg. Since I started the Primal Blueprint diet I've been making the salmon patties because they're good for me - high protien and omega 3's. The eggs add the same.

The problem with canned salmon is cleaning it. Since it's so expensive, I buy 2 cans every trip to the store until I have 12 or 14 cans. It's a project, but then I pop them in the freezer in freezer bags after grilling or baking. It's a great quick meal since cooking for one is a hassle.

GrnBay007
12-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Never liked fish much except beer battered perch and broiled walleye. My mom made canned salmon into patties or a loaf using bread crumbs and egg. Since I started the Primal Blueprint diet I've been making the salmon patties because they're good for me - high protien and omega 3's. The eggs add the same.

The problem with canned salmon is cleaning it. Since it's so expensive, I buy 2 cans every trip to the store until I have 12 or 14 cans. It's a project, but then I pop them in the freezer in freezer bags after grilling or baking. It's a great quick meal since cooking for one is a hassle.

Yeah, my mom used to make the BEST salmon patties! I never realized all the work you go through with that canned salmon.

MJZiggy
12-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Try this: Preheat the oven to 525 (not a typo). Put a quarter stick of butter in a pan with either dill or thyme and put the pan in the oven until the butter starts to sizzle. Add the salmon skin side up and cook for four to five minutes. Peel the skin off. If it does not peel right off in one piece, put it back in the oven for a minute or two and it will. Once the skin is off, flip the fish and cook for four minutes or until it flakes (or until desired doneness). Spoon the butter over the top and sprinkle on a little extra spice and serve with dijonnaise on the side.

woodbuck27
12-22-2012, 04:29 PM
My boy already started some serious training for his track season which doesn't even start till Feb. Coaches have said to eat chicken and fish all but 2 days of the week for your main meal. I can master the chicken but my favorite in the fish family is Tilapia and he's getting sick of it. PLUS all the really healthy peeps say Salmon is the best source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids.

I cooked Salmon once for him and he wasn't crazy about it.....but it was probably just the way I cooked it. I haven't had much experience with it tbh.

I would appreciate any tips on cooking it, recipes, the way to purchase it, etc. :)

Simply pan fry a salmon steak and serve it with any manner of potatoes and veggies with 'dill sauce'. Very deliscious...gourmet.

Dill sauce:

http://images.media-allrecipes.com/userphotos/250x250/00/01/30/13059.jpg

Dill sauce recipe:

1/2 cup sour cream ; 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon-style prepared mustard

1 tablespoon lemon juice ; 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill

Mix all and possibly serve just slightly chilled.