PDA

View Full Version : Assistant Coach firings

Patler
12-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Ravens have fired OC Cam Cameron, and have put former Colts HC Jim Caldwell in his place.

Firing assistant coaches during the season seems to be the new "thing". It used to be that such firings occurred after the season, it was very unusual for one to be fired during the season. We have seen a number of them this year, with the Ravens being the most surprising in that they are headed to the playoffs at (9-4), but make a change at OC. It smacks a little of desperation on offense.

red
12-11-2012, 08:23 AM
i think there might be more to this story. i was reading yesterday that he wasn't getting a log too well with other kids on the team.

why else would they fire him? didn't i hear they were a top 10 offense?

KYPack
12-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Ravens have fired OC Cam Cameron, and have put former Colts HC Jim Caldwell in his place.

Firing assistant coaches during the season seems to be the new "thing". It used to be that such firings occurred after the season, it was very unusual for one to be fired during the season. We have seen a number of them this year, with the Ravens being the most surprising in that they are headed to the playoffs at (9-4), but make a change at OC. It smacks a little of desperation on offense.

The Ravens deal seems to be a pretty simple story.

The score was Flacco 1, Cam Cameron 0.

Cameron has long been known as a very capable OC. He has also been known as an abrasive prick and a control freak. When the ranks of people that felt Cam was an asshole grew to include Joe Flacco, Cameron was no longer getting mail at Ravens headquarters.

Caldwell is famous for his easy going nature and ability to get along with star QB's. He's also a 180 from Cameron, seemingly perfect for the gig.

The only thing I'd wonder about is Caldwell has never sent 'em in. He hasn't play called before. Sending in the plays is it's own little art form and it takes awhile to get the hang of doing it. There will be pressure on him when he's the guy sending in the offense.

Patler
12-11-2012, 09:52 AM
It wasn't so much that he has been fired, to coach is to eventually be fired. To me, the timing is strange. During the off season, more toward mid season, or during their bye week, etc. would make some sense. With three weeks remaining and the team at 9-4 seems like very strange timing, absent a blow-up or high level confrontation of some sort.

Cameron is the guy he's been, the guy he was last season and last off season. Flacco is who he was. Harbaugh, knowing that, kept the relationships in place last off season and for 14 weeks this season, but now suddenly has to make a change.

Odd timing.

woodbuck27
12-11-2012, 09:58 AM
It wasn't so much that he fired, to coach is to eventually be fired. To me, the timing is strange. More toward mid season, or during their bye week, etc. would make some sense. With three weeks remaining and the team at 9-4 see, like very strange timing, absent a blow-up or high level confrontation of some sort.

Cameron is the guy he's been, the guy he was last season and last off season. Flaccois who he was. Harbaugh knowing that kept the relationships in place last off season and for 14 weeks this season, but now suddenly has to make a change.

Odd timing.

It appears to me that it was done because of the pressure to just get something done. The RAVENS didn't lose at Washington because of the OC or because the Ravens 'O' wasn't efficient. One teams very decent offense just out did the other teams decent offense.

To diagnose that Ravens loss you have to look deeper.

I just found this though:

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) - Cam Cameron was fired as offensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens, who have lost two straight and are still striving for consistency in the running and passing game.Cameron ran the Baltimore offense since the start of the 2008 season for coach John Harbaugh. Since that time, the Ravens' attack has repeatedly taken a back seat to the team's defense, and this year the offense ranks 18th with 344.4 yards per game.

pbmax
12-11-2012, 12:10 PM
I have read that people with the Miami Dolphins who experienced both Nick Saban and Cam Cameron found Saban easier to get along with. Which, while it does't explain the firing, is still saying something. Because Nick Saban practices being unhappy with you.

http://distilleryimage10.s3.amazonaws.com/14f43d943c2311e2a0d822000a1f9a12_7.jpg

http://instagram.com/p/St2borDCdi/

I think the change augurs poorly long term for the Ravens. Cameron was asked to open the offense more, with open campaigning by his QB since last year. He did so, introducing a no huddle and other wrinkles, and then was savaged for forgetting Ray Rice versus Pittsburgh.

The new OC is going to have to either reconcile two disparate influences, or field an offense that scores enough to soothe both Flacco and Rice camps. And Caldwell has never called plays before.

Guiness
12-11-2012, 12:12 PM
If that's the case, it sounds like a good cop/bad cop thing. Baltimore has a lot of vets, and a hardass coach doesn't go over well with that crew - you can't scare them into listening by screaming at them. Maybe they ditched him before he blew up the dressing room.

There was also some stuff written about his decision making re: Rice in their loss to Pitt.

mraynrand
12-11-2012, 12:54 PM
dressing room?

http://www.wiu.edu/cofac/theatre/facilities/images/dressingroom1.jpeg

Oh, just stop with all that rushing, you, you, big man you!

denverYooper
12-11-2012, 01:48 PM
I think the change augurs poorly long term for the Ravens. Cameron was asked to open the offense more, with open campaigning by his QB since last year. He did so, introducing a no huddle and other wrinkles, and then was savaged for forgetting Ray Rice versus Pittsburgh.

The new OC is going to have to either reconcile two disparate influences, or field an offense that scores enough to soothe both Flacco and Rice camps. And Caldwell has never called plays before.

I remember everyone marveling at the new vertical offense that the Ravens were running in the first few weeks of the season. Same with the Falcons. The Ravens seem to be in somewhat of an identity crisis this year, with their D losing a lot of its bite through age and injury. It seems as though they are thinking of the future more in terms of their offense when the real story is that their defense looks to be getting less effective.

woodbuck27
12-11-2012, 01:51 PM
I remember everyone marveling at the new vertical offense that the Ravens were running in the first few weeks of the season. Same with the Falcons. The Ravens seem to be in somewhat of an identity crisis this year, with their D losing a lot of its bite through age and injury. It seems as though they are thinking of the future more in terms of their offense when the real story is that their defense looks to be getting less effective.

Then ..... could it be 'a coverup'? One ... hastily prepared?