PDA

View Full Version : Tagliabue Vacates Saints Player Discipline

pbmax
12-11-2012, 12:31 PM
https://twitter.com/SC_DougFarrar/status/278564623018512384

And Sean Payton and Gregg Williams have received 1.245 phone calls from lawyers seeking to represent them versus Goodell.

Neither Payton and Williams could not be reached for comment as they were out looking to ice Saint's snitch Mike Creullo.

pbmax
12-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Tags found some of League's evidence persuasive but contaminated by Saints' org and coaches (and probably former coach Cerullo).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/11/tagliabue-vacates-all-player-discipline/

pbmax
12-11-2012, 12:35 PM
We will now be debating the use of "and" in a Tweet where "but" seems appropriate (h/t PFT)

Greg Aiello ‏@gregaiello (mutile Tweets reordered chronologically from top to bottom)

Tagliabue affirms factual findings of Commissioner Goodell...concludes Hargrove, Smith, Vilma "engaged in conduct detrimental" and...
vacates all player discipline. "Unlike Saints' broad organizational misconduct, player appeals involve sharply focused issues of alleged...
"...individual player misconduct in several different aspects...My affirmation of Commissioner Goodell's findings could certainly justify...
"the issuance of fines. However, this entire case has been contaminated by the coaches and others in the Saints' organization."
"Having reviewed the testimony very carefully, including documentary evidence that is at the center of the conflict, and having assessed...
"...the credibility of the four central witnesses on these matters, I find there is more than enough evidence to support...
"...Commissioner Goodell's findings that Mr. Vilma offered such a bounty (on Brett Favre)."
Our statement on PT's ruling: "We respect Mr. Tagliabue’s decision, which underscores the due process afforded players in NFL disciplinary..
"...matters. This matter has now been reviewed by Commissioner Goodell, two CBA grievance arbitrators, the CBA Appeals Panel, and Mr. Tag.."
"...as Commissioner Goodell’s designated appeals officer. The decisions have made clear that the Saints operated a bounty program..."
"...in violation of league rules for three years, that the program endangered player safety, and that the commissioner has the authority.."
"...under the CBA to impose discipline for those actions as conduct detrimental to the league. Strong action was taken in this matter..."
"...to protect player safety and ensure that bounties would be eliminated from football." End of NFL statement.

mraynrand
12-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Does this mean defensive players can start tackling again?

pittstang5
12-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Sign Hargrove!

pbmax
12-11-2012, 12:51 PM
NFL statement from Shutdown Corner (we won even though it looks like we lost) http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/paul-tagliabue-finds-conduct-detrimental-vacates-saints-player-182831759--nfl.html;_ylt=ApPw5rBCCpBCXdegGTOosnRYYsp_;_ylu=X3 oDMTE4NWRia245BG1pdANCbG9ncyBJbmRleARwb3MDMQRzZWMD TWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXg-;_ylg=X3oDMTFpMm9iMzh1BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANibG9nBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

The NFL issued its own statement.
"We respect Mr. Tagliabue's decision, which underscores the due process afforded players in NFL disciplinary matters. This matter has now been reviewed by Commissioner Goodell, two CBA grievance arbitrators, the CBA Appeals Panel, and Mr. Tagliabue as Commissioner Goodell's designated appeals officer. The decisions have made clear that the Saints operated a bounty program in violation of league rules for three years, that the program endangered player safety, and that the commissioner has the authority under the CBA to impose discipline for those actions as conduct detrimental to the league. Strong action was taken in this matter to protect player safety and ensure that bounties would be eliminated from football."

red
12-11-2012, 01:19 PM
i hope to god that this is the last straw for goddell

he's managed to fuck up everything he's been involved with. nfl would be much better without him

pittstang5
12-11-2012, 01:28 PM

he's managed to fuck up everything he's been involved with. nfl would be much better without him

Starting to think that, especially most recently when he (Goodell) thought eliminating kickoffs from the game was a good idea.

Upnorth
12-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Does this mean defensive players can start tackling again?

You heartless bastard! You let them tackle, kids will see it then they will rob banks and stuff!

Lurker64
12-11-2012, 01:29 PM
It makes sense.
-It protects Goodell from lawsuits
-It maintains the moral high ground for the league
-Neither the Saints, the Browns, nor Anthony Hargrove are going to the playoffs so there's nothing really gained by suspending those guys for the rest of the season except "taking their money" which isn't a big deal to the league.
-You don't want this to carry over into next year, you'd rather just wash your hands of it.

KYPack
12-11-2012, 01:44 PM

You got it, Red.

Goodell is a nightmare as commish.

This whole deal needed to be addressed, handled with as little fanfare as possible, and put in the rear view mirror.

Instead, Roger baby tried to handle it, fucked it up, got it taken out of his hands and still managed to basically lose the whole shootin' match.

He is a management and PR trainwreck.

The NFL will ride this out and make some changes post SB to get somebody in there who knows what he's (she's?) doing.

Guiness
12-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Yup, this couldn't have gone much worse.

btw PB, I know you like twitter and I also see its utility - but (and?) that post aggregating a bunch of tweets shows exactly what the medium is NOT good for. The tweet should've been: decision reached, see press release.

pbmax
12-11-2012, 02:06 PM

btw PB, I know you like twitter and I also see its utility - but (and?) that post aggregating a bunch of tweets shows exactly what the medium is NOT good for. The tweet should've been: decision reached, see press release.

Yes, it should have been a highlight and then link. Not sure why he put each sentence on Twitter. I am sure there was a PR, but I had the Tweets first.

woodbuck27
12-11-2012, 02:10 PM

Gheeesssh ! Your so technologically advanced. I'm still trying to get used to this:

http://www.oldphonestore.com/images/OldPhoneCrank01.jpg

mraynrand
12-11-2012, 02:34 PM
For you, that phone is appropriately named! :wink:

George Cumby
12-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Someone pointed out in another thread that Goodell is the ideal commish. He is the lightning rod for shit, thus distracting the fans from the owners.

mraynrand
12-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Someone pointed out in another thread that Goodell is the ideal commish. He is the lightning rod for shit, thus distracting the fans from the owners.

Did someone mention my name?

http://www.windycitybanter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/bud-selig.jpg

pbmax
12-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Yep. No way Goodell is going anywhere. He got the Owner's the CBA they dreamed of, minus some concessions they were more than willing to make. He kept Player Conduct in house and got a long enough deal to cash in while NFL is red hot in the ratings with new TV deals. He is also likely to make them a tidy sum in LA.

This episode is an embarrassment, but barring further revelations in Vilma's lawsuit, shouldn't be a career ender.

The only thing hanging over his head are the rules adjustments to mitigate future concussion lawsuits. Which is a cluster***, but has so far led only to the most fervent fans to call for his head.

mraynrand
12-11-2012, 03:15 PM
The only thing hanging over his head are the rules adjustments to mitigate future concussion lawsuits. Which is a cluster***

Did you see that hit by the Cincy DB on a Dallas WR - the WR caught the ball, the DB hits him, no helmet to helmet, disengages the ball, and gets called for hit on a defenseless receiver. Unreal.

pbmax
12-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Did you see that hit by the Cincy DB on a Dallas WR - the WR caught the ball, the DB hits him, no helmet to helmet, disengages the ball, and gets called for hit on a defenseless receiver. Unreal.

no, I didn't. I take it he didn't even make inadvertent contact with the helmet "area"?

That's the problem with refs told to call the close ones. Frankly, this problem cannot be solved without the acquiescence of the coaches. Everyone in the League, coaching defense, has to buy into what they are supposed to teach and it needs to be called that way. Even though the Packers have been hit with this call several times, the coaches are still saying they are afraid to teach any other method because it would take away their aggressiveness. Its goes without saying he means it would give an advantage to the opponent, who would likely not operate under the same rule.

The coaches need to write the rule and Goodell et al., need to then approve or ask for changes.

red
12-11-2012, 04:14 PM

yup, that was the last straw for me.

that was a perfect hit by definition

if i'm a defender, i play tight d, and if a guy catches the ball, i throw my hands up and just stand near him. then after the game i tell the media i didn't want to make physical contact that would draw a fine or suspension.

mraynrand
12-11-2012, 10:41 PM
...I take it he didn't even make inadvertent contact with the helmet "area"?

I don't think so, but my eyes aren't as sharp as those sixty-year old trial attorneys out there calling the games.