PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Newhouse Versus the Lions: Competence or Conflagration?

pbmax
12-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause
http://ProFootballFocus.com : Aaron Rodgers pressured on 12 of 29 dropbacks vs. Lions. Newhouse allowed 6 hurries, Barclay 5 http://pck.rs/T5iHy7

Twitter told me earlier today that Newhouse yielded 6 pressures in the Lions game. McGinn tells me its 1.5.

Well, which is it?

I thought he had real trouble with KVB going wide on him, with two very poor plays, one of which resulted in a fumble. So I expect 6 to be closer to the truth than McGinn's 1.5.

red
12-11-2012, 04:19 PM
i'm not sure what that second word means. so i'm gonna respond with what feels natural here

FUCK YOU PB!!!!!!

Patler
12-11-2012, 05:23 PM
The sack/fumble wasn't that much Newhouse fault. As Rodgers moved to his right, Newhouse gave ground but seemed OK until Suh lunged and sort of scraped him off KVB or whoever it was that he was blocking.

pbmax
12-11-2012, 06:53 PM
The sack/fumble wasn't that much Newhouse fault. As Rodgers moved to his right, Newhouse gave ground but seemed OK until Suh lunged and sort of scraped him off KVB or whoever it was that he was blocking.

I can see your point there. And if we put it on a clock, he probably times out pretty well. But there has been such noise in the pocket this year, that those rushers up the field do more damage than normal because Rodgers starts to move earlier than normal and doesn't seem confident in going forward to throw. Its like he expects Saturday and a Guard to get beat as well.

There is nothing solid about the pocket.

Rodgers said during his radio show that the slant has not been called much because its not a good route against 2 deep safeties with zone in the short middle (ILBs). he specifically mentioned slants and flats as a route combination they haven't called much. Shallow CBs put the kibosh on the flat route.

If memory serves, the West Coast had a solution to this, indeed, one of its prime selling points in its infancy, was it effectiveness against zones, specifically the Pittsburgh 2 deep zone.

In one of the simplest route combos, the Bengals/49ers would flood a zone with 3 routes, TE or WR slant, WR or TE deep out breaking route and RB to the flat, a curl or wheel route I believe.

It forced the safety to commit to cover someone or get beat deep, forced the CB to defend the flat and made the LB cover the slant. In most cases, the LB or nickel back had no chance against the well executed slant.

However, with the arrival of unexpected pressure packages, that RB is often not available to run the flat and threaten the CB. Or the TE is blocking. So the old West Coast 3 man route combo to destroy a zone is down to two receivers on a side. And this is another reason O line issues hurt the run game because it can take a target out of his pattern.

The really odd thing? Makes running all the more important for this year's edition of the Packers, West Coast or no.

MadtownPacker
12-11-2012, 07:22 PM
i'm not sure what that second word means. so i'm gonna respond with what feels natural here

FUCK YOU PB!!!!!!Serio pedo (serious shit), what's up with that MFer huh?

Fritz
12-11-2012, 08:29 PM
I can see your point there. And if we put it on a clock, he probably times out pretty well. But there has been such noise in the pocket this year, that those rushers up the field do more damage than normal because Rodgers starts to move earlier than normal and doesn't seem confident in going forward to throw. Its like he expects Saturday and a Guard to get beat as well.

There is nothing solid about the pocket.

Rodgers said during his radio show that the slant has not been called much because its not a good route against 2 deep safeties with zone in the short middle (ILBs). he specifically mentioned slants and flats as a route combination they haven't called much. Shallow CBs put the kibosh on the flat route.

If memory serves, the West Coast had a solution to this, indeed, one of its prime selling points in its infancy, was it effectiveness against zones, specifically the Pittsburgh 2 deep zone.

In one of the simplest route combos, the Bengals/49ers would flood a zone with 3 routes, TE or WR slant, WR or TE deep out breaking route and RB to the flat, a curl or wheel route I believe.

It forced the safety to commit to cover someone or get beat deep, forced the CB to defend the flat and made the LB cover the slant. In most cases, the LB or nickel back had no chance against the well executed slant.

However, with the arrival of unexpected pressure packages, that RB is often not available to run the flat and threaten the CB. Or the TE is blocking. So the old West Coast 3 man route combo to destroy a zone is down to two receivers on a side. And this is another reason O line issues hurt the run game because it can take a target out of his pattern.

The really odd thing? Makes running all the more important for this year's edition of the Packers, West Coast or no.

This is the first time somebody has finally explained why the Packers don't run slants to beat this two high crap.

How does the screen fit in?

Bossman641
12-11-2012, 09:14 PM
I thought Newhouse played well enough Sunday night. However, it seems like he almost never stalemates his guy. Instead, he repeatedly gives up the edge and sends them wide.