PDA

View Full Version : Chris Havel : Rants and raves

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Posted August 21, 2006

Chris Havel column: Rants and raves

By Chris Havel

RANT: The annual debate over the preseason as an accurate barometer of a team's success or a player's potential never ceases to amaze me. After 15 training camps, I have come to the conclusion that some media and fans see what they want to see.

For instance, first-round draft pick A.J. Hawk was slow out the gate in training camp. He struggled to shed blockers. He was tentative in pass coverage. He didn't blow up running backs in the hole. He didn't look like a player that was touted by some as the best defensive player in the 2006 NFL draft.

Since, Hawk has improved almost on a daily basis. He has been sound in the scheme. He has let his instincts take over. He has shown the physical play that set him apart from college football's other top linebackers.

So, does this mean he is a surefire Pro Bowl linebacker? Or does it mean he is making progress but there is no guarantee he will be a dominant player?

Therein lies the debate.

Some readers have criticized me for being critical of Hawk and his slow start. Well, he did get off to a slow start. Now, he is playing at a higher level. Where it goes from here remains to be seen, but the possibilities are promising. Rest assured, if he goes on to greatness, I will dutifully chronicle his rise. If he struggles, I won't say, "I told you so," because I didn't predict that. I simply pointed out that he was struggling.

Either way, the speculation and the uncertainty is part of what makes the NFL so interesting. It is a good reminder (and that includes yours truly) that preseason absolutes frequently turn out to be premature.

RAVE: Whoever states that the Packers don't have a No. 1 receiver hasn't been paying attention to Donald Driver. Against the Falcons, he reminded everyone why he is one of the top 20 receivers in the league.

RANT: Greg Jennings is proof that where you played in college isn't nearly as important as how you play when you get to the NFL. Jennings' early success as Driver's counterpart isn't surprising in that he dominated opponents in college. Sure, it was Western Michigan, but the Broncos play a good brand of football. Furthermore, every defense in that league game planned to stop Jennings, and they couldn't do it. Jennings' impact already is being felt in Green Bay. His ability to work the middle of the field will prevent defenses from rolling coverage toward Driver.

RAVE: Dave Rayner took a small but necessary step toward winning the kicking job. Some say it is his to lose. No, it is his to win. The Packers were wise to remove Billy Cundiff from the equation. Now, Rayner can keep his eyes on the uprights, rather than looking over his shoulder.

RANT: Unlike the placekicking battle, it is time for the Packers to choose between B.J. Sander and Jon Ryan, and then add a punter to the competition. Neither of these two appears to be the answer.

RAVE: Brett Favre was razor sharp against Atlanta, and Aaron Rodgers showed once again that his diligence this offseason is paying off. Rodgers has a chance to be Favre's best backup yet, which is saying a lot considering Mark Brunell and Aaron Brooks were here. Kurt Warner doesn't count, because he wasn't on the active roster.

Chris Havel can be reached by voice mail at (920) 431-8586 or by e-mail at chavel@greenbay.gannett.com

Packers ! FAITH !!

Tony Oday
08-21-2006, 07:48 PM
RAVE: Brett Favre was razor sharp against Atlanta, and Aaron Rodgers showed once again that his diligence this offseason is paying off. Rodgers has a chance to be Favre's best backup yet, which is saying a lot considering Mark Brunell and Aaron Brooks were here. Kurt Warner doesn't count, because he wasn't on the active roster.

Hasselbeck? I would say he was the better one of the group :)

Partial
08-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Brunell was damn good too, in his prime.

They sure have put out some good backups. I think Rodgers is gonna be a great, great player if he gets another year after this on the bench. The best thing for a talented QB like him is to sit for 3-4 years. 3 would be sufficient and I think his success rate would be much higher.

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Hasselbeck? I would say he was the better one of the group :)

I would agree. I even sent Havel an email letting him know he forgot Hasselbeck.
:D

retailguy
08-21-2006, 08:04 PM
RAVE: Whoever states that the Packers don't have a No. 1 receiver hasn't been paying attention to Donald Driver. Against the Falcons, he reminded everyone why he is one of the top 20 receivers in the league.

If this isn't the truest statement Havel has ever written, I don't know what it would be. Driver is the ultimate in class. Few are the professionals who today's kids can look up to, but here is one!

SkinBasket
08-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Some readers have criticized me for being critical of Hawk and his slow start. Well, he did get off to a slow start. Now, he is playing at a higher level. Where it goes from here remains to be seen, but the possibilities are promising.

Journalistic impotence at its worse. He's bold enough to take the stand that if Hawk doesn't play well, he can say he was right. If Hawk plays better, he can say that was evidence Hawk was not playing well, and hence he was also right. Either way, of course, this "journalist" was right. Real edgy stuff.

RashanGary
08-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Real edgy stuff.

ROFL