PDA

View Full Version : A Viking fans feelings about Green Bay, Lambeau, and the Packers

3irty1
12-13-2012, 10:44 AM
My Packer fan buddy who lives and works in the Cities found this and sent it to me with the instructions:

"read this maybe not all, but at least the first couple paragraphs"

Its good.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8732847/how-minnesota-adrian-peterson-became-best-running-back-football-again

swede
12-13-2012, 11:55 AM
My Packer fan buddy who lives and works in the Cities found this and sent it to me with the instructions:

"read this maybe not all, but at least the first couple paragraphs"

Its good.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8732847/how-minnesota-adrian-peterson-became-best-running-back-football-again

I think Rastak would approve.

The writer acknowledged, throughout an interesting and grudgingly generous preamble, that Lambeau is hallowed ground, and then got to business and professed his hunger to see Adrian Peterson desecrate it.

Good read.

Freak Out
12-13-2012, 02:24 PM
The monument to the Lambeau Leap is by far the weirdest feature in the Packer Hall of Fame. A white plaster statue of the celebration innovated by Packer safety LeRoy Butler in the south end zone of Lambeau during a game against the Raiders on December 26, 1993, recalls both Caravaggio's The Raising of Lazurus and what was known in my middle school as an "atomic wedgie."

http://www.nyctousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/IMG_1381.jpg

KYPack
12-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Great post 31.

That guy wrote his ass off, it captures all the " Viking angst".

mraynrand
12-13-2012, 03:55 PM
"A-Rodge?"

pbmax
12-13-2012, 03:57 PM
The monument to the Lambeau Leap is by far the weirdest feature in the Packer Hall of Fame. A white plaster statue of the celebration innovated by Packer safety LeRoy Butler in the south end zone of Lambeau during a game against the Raiders on December 26, 1993, recalls both Caravaggio's The Raising of Lazurus and what was known in my middle school as an "atomic wedgie."

That's just plain weird. Did they run out of money for painting the figures?

KYPack
12-13-2012, 04:46 PM
That's just plain weird. Did they run out of money for painting the figures?

They have a few figures at the GBPHOF that are all white.

The first ones were of the Ice bowl, which makes sense.

This one does look strange by itself, when you see 'em with the other ones, it looks a little more kosher.

red
12-13-2012, 05:09 PM
i was confused. the first part, talked about green bay, its team and fans. then out of the blue it turned into a story about AP's injury and comeback.

by the third part, i felt like i was in church have jebus's name dropped on me

i feel like i was sucked in and then preached to

pbmax
12-13-2012, 05:18 PM

This one does look strange by itself, when you see 'em with the other ones, it looks a little more kosher.

I do need to visit, have never been there. But the more I look at that pic, the more it looks like alien race on Star Trek. Perhaps an offshoot of these guys:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md2mawFLZ71raepyxo1_500.jpg

HowardRoark
12-13-2012, 05:33 PM
White men can't jump.

gbgary
12-13-2012, 07:24 PM
the part about how the fans treat fans of the opposing team is true. it's something I always mention when I talk about my trips to Green Bay. those fans get some kidding but aren't abused. they don't worry about getting assaulted. everyone there is very nice. can't wait to go back for a game next season.

denverYooper
12-13-2012, 09:51 PM
i was confused. the first part, talked about green bay, its team and fans. then out of the blue it turned into a story about AP's injury and comeback.

by the third part, i felt like i was in church have jebus's name dropped on me

i feel like i was sucked in and then preached to

That part made the piece feel like it was meandering a bit, but I think his point was just to illustrate the importance of religion in AD's life (and attempted to make a general point about the "external", religious, motivations of players). I swam in college and we had an All-American diver on our team who was a slightly over-the-top born again college Christian. Great guy, kind of a nut (in a good way), and he was always praising his paternal deity for his gift on the 3m springboard. I have no doubt that his steadfast mantra gave him a source of motivation that allowed him to have supreme confidence in a sport where it is of utmost importance.

Pugger
12-14-2012, 08:00 AM
the part about how the fans treat fans of the opposing team is true. it's something I always mention when I talk about my trips to Green Bay. those fans get some kidding but aren't abused. they don't worry about getting assaulted. everyone there is very nice. can't wait to go back for a game next season.

I remember many several ago before Lambeau's renovation there was always one ticket in front of us on the aisle where there was a different person sitting there for every game. One Sunday we were playing the Jets and struck up a conversation with a gentleman who was wearing a camel colored knee length coat. We noticed he had a Jets cap in his breast pocket and we told him to put it on. He admitted he was wary to don it at an 'enemy' stadium.

woodbuck27
12-14-2012, 10:02 AM

I nominate this as:

POST OF THE YEAR !

Awesome post.

woodbuck27
12-14-2012, 10:04 AM

Not even an black paint around? Cover Leroy up !

woodbuck27
12-14-2012, 10:10 AM

I noticed the stands at the end of Cincy's MNF shellacking of the Eagles was devoid of Eagle fans. Most left before the start of the third quarter. So all people donning Bengel regalia likely made it out of the washrooms and safely to their cars. Besides Eagle fans can't even do a set of five pushups after the disgrace of this season.