PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying This Team, This Season

Fritz
12-13-2012, 11:32 AM
I thought that this would be a good time to start this thread. The Packers are 9-4, and they could reasonably end up either the last wild card or having the second best record of the NFC and thus home field advantage for a week and a week off.

This is an exciting time of the year, and I am enjoying this season. Of course none of us knows what will happen, but it looks like McCarthy is doing a good job getting this team in the right mindset. The players seem to respect him, and he's not making excuses for all the injuries. Instead, he and the team are adjusting.

The running game seems to be slowly getting better, and it looks like Barclay may win the Bruce Wilkerson Award, especially if it means TJ Lang plays better at left guard with a week to have rested not only his ankle but his right elbow or whatever it is that's hurt there.

If Matthews can come back and stay healthy, the defense will improve. I'm comforted that the team brought up another NT to take up space, and if Neal can heal and Wilson can come back, who knows? The secondary is young but improving.

There are tough teams out there. The Giants are tough. The Niners are tough, and their new QB brings a new dimension to that team. The Falcons have a strong, strong record. There are some tough teams out there. Any one of them could win.

But it's been an enjoyable year, and I feel better about this team than last year's edition. The defense was awful - everyone knew they could be scored upon at will. This year, they're not world beaters, but they seem improved, and maybe they're toughening up at the right time.

Probably my favorite moment of the season so far was last week when the Packers ran seven running plays in a row and jammed it down the Lions' throats for a touchdown. For me, that's prettier than a fifty yard bomb to Jennings or Jones or Nelson.

Enjoy the rest of the season, good people. Especially those of you who, like me, waded through year after year after year of listless Packer teams in the seventies and eighties. If you were like me, in retrospect you can see that you got way, way too excited about the one Lynn Dickey-led playoff team in the 80's (their defense was sieve-like), and way too excited about Lindy Infante's one good year, and too excited about the Majik Man. But it was all we had.

Now we've got an organization that is one of the best in football. So....enjoy. This is what we've waited for.

QBME
12-13-2012, 11:47 AM
I thought that this would be a good time to start this thread. The Packers are 9-4, and they could reasonably end up either the last wild card or having the second best record of the NFC and thus home field advantage for a week and a week off.

This is an exciting time of the year, and I am enjoying this season. Of course none of us knows what will happen, but it looks like McCarthy is doing a good job getting this team in the right mindset. The players seem to respect him, and he's not making excuses for all the injuries. Instead, he and the team are adjusting.

The running game seems to be slowly getting better, and it looks like Barclay may win the Bruce Wilkerson Award, especially if it means TJ Lang plays better at left guard with a week to have rested not only his ankle but his right elbow or whatever it is that's hurt there.

If Matthews can come back and stay healthy, the defense will improve. I'm comforted that the team brought up another NT to take up space, and if Neal can heal and Wilson can come back, who knows? The secondary is young but improving.

There are tough teams out there. The Giants are tough. The Niners are tough, and their new QB brings a new dimension to that team. The Falcons have a strong, strong record. There are some tough teams out there. Any one of them could win.

But it's been an enjoyable year, and I feel better about this team than last year's edition. The defense was awful - everyone knew they could be scored upon at will. This year, they're not world beaters, but they seem improved, and maybe they're toughening up at the right time.

Probably my favorite moment of the season so far was last week when the Packers ran seven running plays in a row and jammed it down the Lions' throats for a touchdown. For me, that's prettier than a fifty yard bomb to Jennings or Jones or Nelson.

Enjoy the rest of the season, good people. Especially those of you who, like me, waded through year after year after year of listless Packer teams in the seventies and eighties. If you were like me, in retrospect you can see that you got way, way too excited about the one Lynn Dickey-led playoff team in the 80's (their defense was sieve-like), and way too excited about Lindy Infante's one good year, and too excited about the Majik Man. But it was all we had.

Now we've got an organization that is one of the best in football. So....enjoy. This is what we've waited for.

Amen

denverYooper
12-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Look at Fritz kickin' it on the 1s and 2s.

Nice post.

mraynrand
12-13-2012, 12:44 PM

That was a great sequence; so much for the 'team that isn't tough' charge - they ran it right at the strength of that cheap-shot, arrogant, piece of excrement defense. That's football, baby, the old school way.

Freak Out
12-13-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm looking forward to see how the running attack fares against the Bares.

Joemailman
12-13-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm looking forward to see how the running attack fares against the Bares.

Bears have been gashed the last 2 weeks, giving up 171 and 176 on the ground. If Packers can't run the ball, Finley will look right about Urlacher.

denverYooper
12-13-2012, 01:57 PM
It's pretty interesting that the Packers "haven't solved" the deep Tampa 2 that teams are playing, yet they've won 9* games on one of the league's harder schedules.

Bossman641
12-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Bears have been gashed the last 2 weeks, giving up 171 and 176 on the ground. If Packers can't run the ball, Finley will look right about Urlacher.

It goes back even further. They've given up 141 on the ground a game over the last 7.

Tony Oday
12-13-2012, 02:53 PM
The Bears have as much chance of a cake not getting eaten at an eaters anonymous dropout meeting.

George Cumby
12-13-2012, 07:09 PM

Waitaminit.

Weren't you castigating the team as bunch of perennial fuck-ups a couple of weeks ago? :-P

I whole-heartedly agree with THIS post. Sybil. :-P

MadScientist
12-13-2012, 07:12 PM

The Super Bowl or bust attitude does beat the shit out of the 80's .500 or bust attitude.

Fritz
12-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Waitaminit.

Weren't you castigating the team as bunch of perennial fuck-ups a couple of weeks ago? :-P

I whole-heartedly agree with THIS post. Sybil. :-P

Was I castigating them? Maybe I was. But I think, if I was, I was not castigating them as perennial fuck-ups.

Like a lot of us, when I'm in the thick of watching a game, or right after a loss, I am infuriated by the shitty play of the o-line, or the defensive front seven not stopping the run or not getting pressure, for sure.

But when I step back and see the bigger picture, and when I'm not indulging my online Packer id identity, I do see that this is the kind of organization I've wanted for the Packers ever since I watched Scott Hunter's Christian Ponderlike peformance in his one playoff appearance in, what, '71 or '72?

mraynrand
12-14-2012, 11:07 AM
... Christian Ponderlike peformance...

that rolls trippingly off the tongue.

Speak the speech, I pray you, as I pronounc'd it to you,
trippingly on the tongue; but if you mouth it, as many of our
players do, I had as lief the town-crier spoke my lines.

LegandofthePack15
12-14-2012, 11:13 AM
The Bears have as much chance of a cake not getting eaten at an eaters anonymous dropout meeting.

O'Day, you strike me as a very arrogant person.

Cheesehead Craig
12-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Fritz, you restore my faith in this place with posts like that. Well done sir.

woodbuck27
12-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Fritz, you restore my faith in this place with posts like that. Well done sir.

Yup. it sure must be like Homer and I'm not referring to Simpson.

Two weeks ago after the GIANTS game our team was dragging their collective ass's out of New York and there was alot of legitimate concern. Too express that concern was an extention of an accurate observation. Was such expression proof of a lack of faith or telling it as it was then?

Fritz
12-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Yup. it sure must be like Homer and I'm not referring to Simpson.

Two weeks ago after the GIANTS game our team was dragging their collective ass's out of New York and there was alot of legitimate concern. Too express that concern was an extention of an accurate observation. Was such expression proof of a lack of faith or telling it as it was then?

I thought I'd kick this thread and update it as the season goes along.

Okay, so the Packers beat the Bears, and right now I'm feeling pretty good about this team, despite the injuries. Last year, despite the gaudy record, we all knew the defense was really, really awful, and all it was going to take was one poor showing by the offense, and it was all over.

And that's what happened.

Now, IF Mike Neal can stay healthy, and IF Matthews can stay healthy, and IF the others stay healthy, and IF Wilson comes back, this defense appears to be rounding into form. I am happy especially about Neal, because I've been rooting for the guy. he seems to me to be the most talented of the ends right now, at least in terms of pass rush ability. But I saw the article today about Matthews working off Neal, and that's what we wanted to see.

I think that the key to winning in the playoffs is toughness - physical and mental toughness. Well, and talent, of course, but it's that mindset of grinding it out that seems to work. When you look at the Packers' run two years ago, you note that the offense kinda sucked there in the last game against da (Pubic) Bears (I think the score was 10-6 or 13-6 or something. And the offense was not exactly sizzling in that first playoff game against Philly. I believe that score was 21-16. But the defense was tough, tough, tough in both games. Not so much that they were flying around and killing guys. But they had this grim, nose-to-the-grindstone mentality that kept other teams from moving the ball very well. And against Atlanta, the offense kicked in.

I am hoping this defense, this year, is developing that same mentality. I think Pickett and Matthews can sniff it.

I think that kind of grim toughness comes from adversity. It comes from the injuries that the team has had to disregard and move on from (as a fan, don't we all still wish Nick Collins was still here. Imagine if the defense had him...).

I am also encouraged, oddly enough, by the offense. If I could take any one injury away from this team this year - from Bishop to Matthews to Benson and back - I'd take Bulaga's injury away. I know he didn't seem to be having a great year, but he was better than Barclay, and with him this offense would not have struggled quite so much. Yet, it's hard not to wonder if maybe that injury has forced MM to rethink the offense and run the ball more, since Barclay is better at that than pass blocking.

I like this renewed emphasis on the run. If the team can continue and improve in this regard, eventually some team will come out of that cover-2 crap and Rodgers will sting 'em. So I hope MM keeps running the ball, and I hope too that Finley sees an increased role over the middle.

I think that MM has done a good job this year. Like many fans, I have called him a knob and a tool many times during games for his play calling, but in the cool of the day, he's a hell of a coach. The players respect him, and he has the ability to get his team to rise above excuse-making and injuries. And after the Lions game, when I explained to my girlfriend (who knows nothing about football) that one of MM's faults was that he abandoned the running game too soon too often, he proceeded to run the ball down the Lions' throats.

Of course, it could all come crashing down in the playoffs on one missed kick by Crosby. But I admire MM's guts for keeping the guy. I do. Not just for the warm fuzzies of the story (the rumor on Packerrats that Crosby is having personal problems and the team is helping him out by keeping him on), but for understanding the risks and rewards and following his own intuition on this one. I mean, we'll all be sick if Crosby misses a game-tying or winning kick, but won't we all be just as sick if Neal Rackers misses one, or Schlongwell, or whatever flotsam or jetsam is out there now?

Besides, this is what I'm talking about. Whatever happens, the Packers are headed to the playoffs, have won their second division title in a row, and have won 10 or more games for what, four years in a row now?

Sure, you can pick at MM's playoff record, and we will all gnash our teeth over losing some high profile names (the price of TT's success; it's a salary cap world, man), but in the end, this organization is as good as any in the NFL right now. They're right up there with the Patriots and Steelers.

But goddammit, if they lose in the first round of the playoffs, I say fire 'em all.

Just kidding. No, really. I'm kidding.

Tony Oday
12-21-2012, 11:37 AM
O'Day, you strike me as a very arrogant person.

You strike me as a leach on society so I guess we will not be getting a beer anytime soon.

mraynrand
12-21-2012, 12:14 PM
leech
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Svømmende_blodigle.JPG/220px-Svømmende_blodigle.JPG
not
leach
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/45/Vonta_Leach.JPG/200px-Vonta_Leach.JPGhttp://www.cyinterview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/RobinLeach1-290x250.jpg

mmmdk
12-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Tough wins versus NFC North foes has been huge. Sweep of Bears & Kittens is double sweet - Vikings are next soon enough. But I have to add that our QB is not named Majkowski or Dickey; more to be expected from guys like Starr, Favre & Rodgers. A downer to not win SB with the latter and beat da Bears is fine with the former.

Fritz
12-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Tough wins versus NFC North foes has been huge. Sweep of Bears & Kittens is double sweet - Vikings are next soon enough. But I have to add that our QB is not named Majkowski or Dickey; more to be expected from guys like Starr, Favre & Rodgers. A downer to not win SB with the latter and beat da Bears is fine with the former.

From a long-distance perspective, that's true, but man oh man, when I watched Dickey march the offense down the field, over and over, scoring touchdown after touchdown on Dallas, only to see the defense let the Cowboys go through them like vagina butter, well, it hurt. Especially because the week before the Pack had beaten the Rams in the first round.

The point is, you hoped against hope, but years like that - or Lindy-the-Infant's one good year - were an aberration. Now we have the kind of organization that can keep the team in the hunt for a SB, year in and year out. I am working on trying to enjoy that more, and scream at the television less when the Packers can't tackle someone or the offensive line looks like a turnstile at Cedar Point.

denverYooper
12-21-2012, 01:28 PM
The pieces might very well be falling into place at the right time.

woodbuck27
12-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Was I castigating them? Maybe I was. But I think, if I was, I was not castigating them as perennial fuck-ups.

Like a lot of us, when I'm in the thick of watching a game, or right after a loss, I am infuriated by the shitty play of the o-line, or the defensive front seven not stopping the run or not getting pressure, for sure.

But when I step back and see the bigger picture, and when I'm not indulging my online Packer id identity, I do see that this is the kind of organization I've wanted for the Packers ever since I watched Scott Hunter's Christian Ponderlike peformance in his one playoff appearance in, what, '71 or '72?

If that was just after the Packers came off a deep sleep in New York Fritz? Your reaction was rather normal.

I'm enjoying the Packers this season because I do see some similiarities RE: the course of adversity due to injuries this season ala 2010 and how our team somehow manages to play well enough for the 'W'. I'm enjoying seeing Aaron Rodgers grow as a QB in terms of leadership and to find the way to offset deficiencies on his OL. I'm enjoying watching 'at least' a near MVP performance by Aaron Rodgers.

I'm enjoying James Jones breakout season.

I find it very interesting and / or puzzling the way that TT and MM have handled the kicking game problem. Their patience is certainly overwhelming and falls under the category 'Risky Business'.

I'm enjoying some signs of an emerging running game.

I'm enjoying the rookie performance of #29 Casey Hayward. Nice pick TT !

GO PACKERS !

Fritz
12-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Just trying to enjoy the ride, man. I get caught up in the play-to-play negatives sometimes, and I want to be sure I appreciate what we are seeing unfold in GB.

Fritz
12-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Just trying to enjoy the ride, man. I get caught up in the play-to-play negatives sometimes, and I want to be sure I appreciate what we are seeing unfold in GB.

Who knows how the ride will end, but doesn't it seem perfect that the Pack has at least one wild card game to host, and might get a bye and at least one home game, too, if they beat Minny, who also has something to play for?

It seems perfect - the team has to be sharp because they've got something to play for, they're on the road, the competition will be fierce. It seems like a perfect launching pad.

Mostly the defense has to play well. While we fondly remember the Packers playing great football at the end of 2010, in truth the offense was quite dull against the Bears in the last game, and not great against Philly, either.

Bossman641
12-26-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm really hoping Jordy and Woodson play this week. The thought of integrating them back during the playoffs is giving me flashbacks of the Giants last year (see: lack of chemistry between Rodgers and Jennings).

Fritz
12-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Yes, and even one game is not much. See Jennings, Greg.

I do wonder if Jennings will break out in the playoffs. Seems like Cobb has the slot job locked down, and you can't take a spot from Jones this year, not the way he's playing. So I think Nelson and Jennings will compete for the other starting spot. Then it's mix and match.

If you're a Packer receiver, and you get a ball thrown to you, you better catch it.

Teamcheez1
12-26-2012, 04:37 PM
If Woodson doesn't play this week, then I don't really want him to play again this season (except maybe for some spot duty).

I don't see how we can expect him to contribute when he hasn't played in 3 months. Play with the guys that have gotten you to this point.

Fritz
12-26-2012, 04:42 PM
I dunno. I think I'd rather see him out there at safety than Jennings or even the rook, McMillian.

By the way, anybody have a sense of how that kid's been playing? Early on, we heard a lot of good about him, but I haven't heard much lately.

ThunderDan
12-26-2012, 04:47 PM
I dunno. I think I'd rather see him out there at safety than Jennings or even the rook, McMillian.

By the way, anybody have a sense of how that kid's been playing? Early on, we heard a lot of good about him, but I haven't heard much lately.

When you aren't hearing about your safety one way or the other it usually means that your LBs and DL are playing well. You don't want your S to be making tackles left and right. Of course an INT here are there would be outstanding.

RashanGary
12-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Yes, and even one game is not much. See Jennings, Greg.

I do wonder if Jennings will break out in the playoffs. Seems like Cobb has the slot job locked down, and you can't take a spot from Jones this year, not the way he's playing. So I think Nelson and Jennings will compete for the other starting spot. Then it's mix and match.

If you're a Packer receiver, and you get a ball thrown to you, you better catch it.

That will be interesting. . . . Who knows how that is going to go, but I agree. . . . . It seems impossible to take Jones off the field right now unless Jennings and Nelson go off like wild-fire.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-26-2012, 09:14 PM
We are currently in the middle of our window to win multiple championships. I'm hoping we can get another one or two before the window closes. If we can get really hot when the playoffs start, with some luck and good fortune I could see being a very dangerous team for anyone to play. A lot of it will come down to o-line play. Rodgers will also have to play perfect every game to get us past this year’s contenders. If we play like we are capable of, we can beat anyone. I still believe we are the most talented team in football.

mmmdk
12-26-2012, 10:09 PM
From a long-distance perspective, that's true, but man oh man, when I watched Dickey march the offense down the field, over and over, scoring touchdown after touchdown on Dallas, only to see the defense let the Cowboys go through them like vagina butter, well, it hurt. Especially because the week before the Pack had beaten the Rams in the first round.

The point is, you hoped against hope, but years like that - or Lindy-the-Infant's one good year - were an aberration. Now we have the kind of organization that can keep the team in the hunt for a SB, year in and year out. I am working on trying to enjoy that more, and scream at the television less when the Packers can't tackle someone or the offensive line looks like a turnstile at Cedar Point.

Great post; I adore the play of Lynn Dickey too. I've got 15+ games or so with Dickey! I've got close to 220 Packer games on dvd (until ebay stopped that some years ago). I rarely watch them anymore as I don't have the time.

gbgary
12-26-2012, 10:23 PM
getting healthy, confident, and productive, at the most important time of the season is giving everyone a massive boost. let's hope it continues. Woodson not being cleared for this last game is a bit of a surprise. i'm ok with it unless it becomes a locker room distraction. if we get the 2nd seed there is no way he won't be cleared for the 1st playoff game. i don't think he needs to start though. they've come together back there and i don't want to mess with that too much.

Come on Packers!

RashanGary
12-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Looking at football outsiders, the Packers have the 4th best weighted DVOA behind Seattle, Denver and Seattle.

That's a ranking of how the team has played statistically throughout the year, with more weight going to the more recent games. It also takes into account how good the opposition is, to further even the playing field.

Looking at those stats, ones that are respected across the football world, The Packers are playing the 2nd best football in the NFC at this point in time. The Seahawks, however, are the 10th ranked team on the road, with off the charts play at home. Considering Seattle will probably be on the road every game in the post season, the Packers should be the NFC favorite.

Another positive, the Packers are getting better every game. Looking at how they're trending, they are still continuing to get better.

The stats show what we're all talking about. The Packers are one of the hottest teams in the NFL and one of the front runners to win the SB. I think another huge factor the Packers have going their way is Aaron Rodgers. Both SF and Seattle have first year starting QBs. It's hard to win on the road with a 1st year starting QB. The noise and confusion really gets to the young QBs. See SF vs Seattle. Kapernick had what? 4 or 5 delay of games and some time outs on top of that. I've heard Favre say it's mentally exhausting to play on the road in a loud environment. And that was near the end of his stay here. I imagine it would be even worse on a young QB.

Aaron Rodgers is historically good on the road, in a dome. Assuming it's a Packer/Falcon NFCC game, the Packers are going in with a superior defense that is moving up the rankings every week. The Falcons have a superior rated offense. With the way the Packers defense is coming on, the health of the team just now starting to fall into place, again the Packers look to me like the NFC favorite just looking subjectively, how the teams are put together.

This week is going to be very telling. The Packers play a hot Minnesota Vikings divisional matchup. The Falcons play an ice cold Buccaneers team at home. I'm not so sure the Falcons game will be all to telling, but the Packers game will. If the Packers come out and beat the Vikings convincingly, they will cement themselves, IMO, as the best team in the NFC right now.

Enjoying this year? Hell yeah. Right now is the time I'm enjoying it most. We're rounding into a team that has a great shot at their 2nd SB title in 3 years.

Iron Mike
12-27-2012, 01:41 AM
Plus, it's awesome to get to watch Gummi Bears fans root for the Pack to win:

http://www.dabears.com/showthread.php?45895-All-We-need-is-a-Bears-Win-Against-Lions-amp-Vikings-Loss-Against-Packers

George Cumby
12-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Plus, it's awesome to get to watch Gummi Bears fans root for the Pack to win:

http://www.dabears.com/showthread.php?45895-All-We-need-is-a-Bears-Win-Against-Lions-amp-Vikings-Loss-Against-Packers

Those guys are pathetic. What a bunch of dummies. :knll:

Fritz
12-28-2012, 09:04 AM
This team really is right in the middle of its window, I think. I've been thinking lately - do you realize that Thompson's contract is up after 2015? And so is McCarthy's.

Both men have said they have a picture of what they'd like concerning the future, but neither has been forthcoming about what that picture is. I suspect both will step down from their posts after 2015 - for what, who knows. My guess is that Thompson being Thompson, he will leave the team in good cap shape, with all of the team's picks available for the draft that occurs after he leaves. I don't see him trading away future draft picks to cement his legacy.

I remember Patler also saying that a look at head coaches reveals that even the best of them are only effective, truly effective, for about 7-8 years. This is year seven for MM. I suspect he knows that a head coach's voice can only be heard for so long. He seems to have a long term plan, too. He doesn't strike me at GM material, though - just not his style.

So, if I am correct, let's enjoy this playoff run and these next three years. God only knows what will come next.

Pugger
12-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Great post; I adore the play of Lynn Dickey too. I've got 15+ games or so with Dickey! I've got close to 220 Packer games on dvd (until ebay stopped that some years ago). I rarely watch them anymore as I don't have the time.

Poor Dickey played when we didn't have a defense to speak of. He had one of the prettiest passes I've ever seen but he had to throw it all over the place because we couldn't stop a JV team. I'll never forget his performance in that MNF game against the 'Skins and Joe Theismann.

Pugger
12-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Those guys are pathetic. What a bunch of dummies. :knll:

Not really. They do need for us to beat the queens for them to get in.

KYPack
12-28-2012, 12:01 PM

McMillan has more physical tools than Jennings (MD, that is). Dom had both of them in the mix. McMillan is fast and strong, but the game is still moving at a quick pace for him. Jenning plays much more at the traditional safety role, while McMillan moves around a lot. Against Tenn, McMillan played safety, slot corner and some corner against the 4 wide looks.

I was gonna touch on this, but I figured I was already boring the hell out of everybody. On that play that Tenn got the long pass to Britt on, McMillan made a helluva a play that shows his development. They ran a fire zone with Tramon as the blitzer. Mcmillan came cross field all the way down from a safety technique to seamlessly cover Tramon's guy. At the start of the year, he wouldn't have had a clue what to do on that blitz.

That said, I still think there is a lot of learning in front of all our safeties. I thought Burnett would make the big jump this season. He's a decent hand, but is not at the star level.

Personally, I'd like to see an improvement in all our back liners at tackling. When you are the deep man in any rotation, you must be assignment sure and execute. These mfrs just aren't sure tacklers. There have been too many long plays this season as a result of tackling lapses from the safety position. You are the last man? Get that sumbitches ass on the ground. There is no excuse for it.

woodbuck27
12-28-2012, 12:14 PM
KY can tackling be taught?

Isn't alot of tackling mental? As in..... close fast on the ball carrier; that man's ass has to go to the ground!

I've always felt that the best Packer teams featured strong - aggressive tackling.

LOL.... The Vontaze Burfect way.

KY ...I believe you were in Cincy a couple of weeks ago. Can you tell us what you saw in Vontaze Burfect?

Impressed or not with Vontaze Burfect's play or maybe an indifferent impression!?

woodbuck27
12-28-2012, 12:30 PM
We are currently in the middle of our window to win multiple championships. I'm hoping we can get another one or two before the window closes. If we can get really hot when the playoffs start, with some luck and good fortune I could see being a very dangerous team for anyone to play. A lot of it will come down to o-line play. Rodgers will also have to play perfect every game to get us past this year’s contenders. If we play like we are capable of, we can beat anyone. I still believe we are the most talented team in football.

Yes there are some very knowledgeable experts that have us gaining momentum towords peaking and with Aaron Rodgers who makes receivers look (maybe better that they are) going all the way to winning the Super Bowl. I believe that we need a healthy Randall Cobb but that's compromised with Jordy Nelson having a hammy injury. Our 'D' will solidify now that Clay Matthews is back and it's vital that he stays healthy. Will his hammy hold up?

We're close. I want that number two seed.

I want to see the Seattle Seahawks at Lambeau Field for the NFC Championship. What a great matchup that would be.

GO PACKERS !

KYPack
12-28-2012, 01:28 PM
KY can tackling be taught?

Isn't alot of tackling mental? As in..... close fast on the ball carrier; that man's ass has to go to the ground!

I've always felt that the best Packer teams featured strong - aggressive tackling.

LOL.... The Vontaze Burfect way.

KY ...I believe you were in Cincy a couple of weeks ago. Can you tell us what you saw in Vontaze Burfect?

Impressed or not with Vontaze Burfect's play or maybe an indifferent impression!?

I'm in Cincy right now. I live in the Northern Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati.

Can tackling be taught? Sure, that's how everybody gets started. But it isn't taught or much mentioned at the NFL level. It's pretty much assumed you learned tackling skills somewhere along the way to even get in the league.

Vontaze Burfict? he's a bitch, really solid rookie LB. the Bengals lucked out getting a kid like him as a CFA

RashanGary
12-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Cliff Christl and Eric Barn-e-whatever have said tacking is more of a natural thing than a learned trait. I'm with KY. That last guy needs to be a stud tackler.

Fritz
01-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Well, here we are, one day away from the first round of the playoffs.

This is what it's all about, what we've been waiting for, since the draft ended.

The best feeling in the world is basking in the afterglow of a Packer playoff win, one that occurs without big Packer injuries.

The next best feeling is the anticipation of the game. There's anxiety involved, but hope, too.

The worst feeling in the world is of course the feeling that follows a playoff loss. It's like the world's gone hollow. I instantly stop reading about football altogether for at least three weeks if the Packers lose a playoff game. I don't even want to contemplate that.

I hope this team is ready. I don't want them to come out flat like they did last week. That's a sickening feeling, to watch them look kinda dazed when the other team is all fired up.

I hope the Pack takes care of the ball, and plays hard and within the system.

Pugger
01-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Yes there are some very knowledgeable experts that have us gaining momentum towords peaking and with Aaron Rodgers who makes receivers look (maybe better that they are) going all the way to winning the Super Bowl. I believe that we need a healthy Randall Cobb but that's compromised with Jordy Nelson having a hammy injury. Our 'D' will solidify now that Clay Matthews is back and it's vital that he stays healthy. Will his hammy hold up?

We're close. I want that number two seed.

I want to see the Seattle Seahawks at Lambeau Field for the NFC Championship. What a great matchup that would be.

GO PACKERS !

Not me. I want those sea chickens bounced out in DC. I want US to go further than that bunch.

woodbuck27
01-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Not me. I want those sea chickens bounced out in DC. I want US to go further than that bunch.

I'm looking forward to that game. It should be a real beauty.

mmmdk
01-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Packers slew quite a few demons two years ago; The mighty painful 4th & 26 ogres of Philly, the first PO loss at Lambeau flying fell beasts of Atlanta , da bears and the Steeler knights of darkness'n'gold from the pitts of Burgh.

Shall the legend continue as the purple anal punks of Minnesota are torn asunder or is it to be a double up on mooning the lambs of Lambeau?

denverYooper
01-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Packers slew quite a few demons two years ago; The mighty painful 4th & 26 ogres of Philly, the first PO loss at Lambeau flying fell beasts of Atlanta , da bears and the Steeler knights of darkness'n'gold from the pitts of Burgh.

Shall the legend continue as the purple anal punks of Minnesota are torn asunder or is it to be a double up on mooning the lambs of Lambeau?

Another quest is in order: Minny, San Fran, The SEAHAWKS in the NFC Championship. Slaying the ghosts of this season's past.

mraynrand
01-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Another quest is in order: Minny, San Fran, The SEAHAWKS in the NFC Championship. Slaying the ghosts of this season's past.

One Bird plays poorly on the road (Seattle) and the other plays like crap at home in playoffs (ATL). I think you could very well see the Redskins in the NFC championship game. Packers have to get by two tough teams to get that game at home.

denverYooper
01-04-2013, 11:22 AM
One Bird plays poorly on the road (Seattle) and the other plays like crap at home in playoffs (ATL). I think you could very well see the Redskins in the NFC championship game. Packers have to get by two tough teams to get that game at home.

Agree. The road through the NFC this year is brutal.

Fritz
01-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Well, here we are. The Packers won against Purple Jesus and his cohorts, so now it's on to SF.

Are we going to start feeling that mojo like 2010? Or did we even have any? I recall after beating Philly in a tight game, there were a few complaints and worries amongst the Rats populace. I believe I was one of those.

Lordy, I'd like this team to win this weekend. But just like 2010, they can't seem to catch a break on the injury front. Today, no Cobb, no Nelson, no Saturday practicing. And I am hoping but doubting that Starks will be back for this game. He's the type of runner they need to play against this rugged Niner defense.

I don't know what to think about this game. I feel like it'll be tight. But here are the Packers, one of the four teams left in the NFC.

I'll be down if this team loses, but it won't be the end of the world like it would've felt last weekend. Of course, I say that now, but come game time I'll be worked up, and if they do lose I'll probably jump off a small cliff.

Zool
01-09-2013, 01:37 PM
I'll be down if this team loses, but it won't be the end of the world like it would've felt last weekend. Of course, I say that now, but come game time I'll be worked up, and if they do lose I'll probably jump off a small cliff.

I'm with you. Never want to lose to a divisional team in the playoffs. Now this week, I'm on to, we should beat these guys. They have a guy making his 8th career start and possibly missing their top D-lineman. It's been a weird ride this year.