PDA

View Full Version : Article: Well, shut my mouth and paint my PC green

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Well, shut my mouth and paint my PC green

By Os Davis on August 21, 2006

All right, I admit it: Pretenses of journalistic objectivity aside, I'm more than secretly cynical about the Green Bay Packers ' chances this year.

Considering the team is coming off a 4-12 season, is led by a rookie coach with a brand-new offensive scheme and a starting quarterback who may have been living on borrowed time for a couple of seasons already, few could blame the pessimists.

Couple this outlook with the biggest post-Super Bowl non-story before Terrell Owens got on the exercise bike, i.e. Brett Favre's open hemming and hawing about his retirement. Add the short eternity it took to sign future star/No. 1 pick A.J. Hawk and an absolutely chaotic, abysmal and perhaps worst-of-the-week performance in their first preseason game, and the weaker of Packer backers were already wondering about Green Bay's odds of snagging the first pick in 2007.

Or so I thought.

But now I'm a believer.

For at least a week.

After barely showing up against San Diego last week, the Pack looked back, running up a 38-10 score against the Atlanta Falcons at Lambeau on Saturday night.

Everything was firing on all cylinders for Green Bay. Favre led the green-and-gold on two long drives while showing that, yes, perhaps he can adapt to this darn West Coast Offense thing. Though sports reporters are lining up to proclaim Favre "looked like the Favre of old," his stat line of 16-of-22 for 134 yards more closely resembled a rookie Tom Brady than young Brett Favre.

The evening's running backs du jour, Najeh Davenport and Noah Herron, were good enough, the latter even grabbing a TD pass. Much-watched rookie WR Greg Jennings continues to look as good as advertised, turning a tipped pass into an 85-yard touchdown. And Mr. Hawk was out there defensing passes and registering one tackle for a loss.

So this week, no cynicism about the Packers. Sure, some complained that two TD's came on tipped passes that deflected fortunately and that luck was clearly on Green Bay's side.

This week, we'll quote Branch Rickey's line: "Luck is the residue of design." And all right, maybe the Falcons really do have as little depth as some suggest, but, hey, we'll say, the Pack's second stringers did OK, too.

At the moment, I'm a believer, so who knows? Maybe Favre does have enough magic in his old throwing arm and ,with a few lucky bounces, the Pack can outlast the favored Chicago Bears , upstart Detroit Lions and mysterious Minnesota Vikings , and sneak into the playoffs. Suddenly anything's possible.

For at least a week.

So I'll allow Packer backers to bask in the glow of a well-played game and give them the benefit of the doubt without the gloom and doom. They deserve it; after all, this might be as good as it gets for this mostly inexperienced bunch in 2006.

Oops.

PACKERS ! FAITH in 2006 !!

]{ilr]3
08-21-2006, 08:09 PM
I really hope to see some improvement again by the O-line in Cinci. This is going to be a great test for them but also a great learning experience good/bad, win or lose.

Obviously since its pre-season I really dont care if they win, but give them a solid run for there money and have Hawk put the fear of God into Carson Palmer sounds like a nice trade off :mrgreen:

SD GB fan
08-21-2006, 09:55 PM
wait did cincy transition to the 3-4 defense yet?

KYPack
08-21-2006, 10:34 PM
I'll be attending the game & will file a report next Tues.

The Bengals don't use a 3-4 with the frequency of SD.

David Pollock is the reason the Bengals are toying with 3 down lineman. He's a better 3 point stance guy than he is a lb. Pollock has a sore foot, so he won't get many snaps. They will play some 3-4, but not as hairy as the Bolts.

They present some interesting problems for the center of our line (who don't, eh?). Big, bad Sam Adams is now playing DT for Cincy. He will only play a few snaps, but I wanna see if Moll can handle a monster like Yosemite Sam.

The other guy that is very interesting is Ahmad Brooks. Remember we were thinking he might help the Pack. He was available in the supplemental draft.

Well, the Bengals snapped him up. He is as advertised and then some. 6'5" 260+ and fast as hell. he doesn't have a spot yet, they move him around. Some at Mike, some at DE, & some Will. Wait'll you see him, the guy is scary.

It'll be Carson v. Brett on Mon nite. For Pre-season, it'll be a classic.

woodbuck27
08-22-2006, 01:38 PM
KYPack:

Your report will be valuable to this FORUM.

Take a pad and a couple of good working pens Man; and most of ALL ... enjoy the game :mrgreen: for it's value to us here at PACKERRATS.

GO PACK GO ! FAITH PACKER FANS in 2006 !!

Astonishment
08-22-2006, 01:48 PM
"The evening's running backs du jour, Najeh Davenport and Noah Herron, were good enough, the latter even grabbing a TD pass."

While this is nit-picking - the "latter" would reffer to Herron, while it was Davenport that caught the TD pass.

fan4life
08-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Sorry..... but who the h*() is Os Davis? Where is he published?

woodbuck27
08-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Sorry..... but who the h*() is Os Davis? Where is he published?

Not impressed?? :mrgreen:

http://weeklywire.com/ww/archives/authors/alibi_osdavis.html

GO PACK GO ! FAN FAITH in 2006 !!