PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy's Comments From Last Week: Offense Different By Design

pbmax
12-16-2012, 06:32 PM
McCarthy seemed to say he intentionally geared the offense down this year.

He does seem to select only specific spots for the no-huddle. And while you would have been hard pressed to notice early in the year, he does seem more committed to the run game now. Similar to Grant last half of 2007 and Starks at end of year/playoffs of 2010.

We have seen more short passing in the last two weeks than all of last year.

You buying?

“I hate to say that we’re designing to score less points, but I think we’re a little more conscientious of field position, time of possession, things that will make us a more well-rounded football team," McCarthy said.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/182749021.html

RashanGary
12-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Good move IMO. With the defense picking up, they play off each other. Also, great defenses become even greater if they can ignore the run and put their resources into stopping the pass. Great defenses are the ones you play in the playoffs. Being able to run the ball not only favors time of possession (keeping the D fresh) but it also makes it very tough on even the best defenses to shut you down.

I hope the run game continues to progress. The Bears are a great run defense. We ran well enough to keep solid down and distance against a great run defense. Now we have to keep building on it.

SF would be a nightmare for us if we don't get our running game on track. Giants too. Seattle probably as well. Well rounded is a really good idea.

Smidgeon
12-17-2012, 11:49 AM
The only thing I'm buying from that is that McCarthy or the team realized that by scoring fast and frequently, their defense was often gassed on the field which lead to giving up a lot of points. So if he paces it better, his defense remains fresher.

Other than that, I don't see a reason to "tone down", although that's a pretty good reason if it's true.