PDA

View Full Version : Where's Waldo?

PA Pack Fan
12-17-2012, 06:53 AM
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fokelly/Crosby.jpg

Bretsky
12-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Even the strongest of Crosby backers would find it hard to support wanting to go into the playoffs with Crosby as our kicker. Dude still has a powerful leg. Not sure if we can keep him for kickoffs and see if we can fix him next year. Wish we had Olindo Mare. I wonder if there are any old time reliable vet kickers out there.

hoosier
12-17-2012, 07:39 AM
If you take away his 50+ yd attempts Crosby is 16-21 (76%). It's his miserable record with 50+ yarders that is driving his FG percentage so far south of the Mendoza line. I can't help but wonder if McCarthy's tendency to put Crosby out there for anything and everything under 60 yards hasn't contributed to his struggles this year. In baseball, when hitters are in a slump they get out of it by abandoning the urge to pull everything and instead try to hit everything up the middle. As long as they're not auditioning Crosby's replacement at this late date in the season, I would try to get him back on track by putting him out there only when the ball is inside the opponent's 25.

RashanGary
12-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Bring in shortwell for FGs. Keep Crosby for kick offs until he works through this thing.

red
12-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Even the strongest of Crosby backers would find it hard to support wanting to go into the playoffs with Crosby as our kicker. Dude still has a powerful leg. Not sure if we can keep him for kickoffs and see if we can fix him next year. Wish we had Olindo Mare. I wonder if there are any old time reliable vet kickers out there.

i wonder if theres a way he can become injured at practice so we can IR him and still keep him for next year to see if he can turn it around

red
12-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Bring in shortwell for FGs. Keep Crosby for kick offs until he works through this thing.

longwell will never be allowed back in green bay, and longwell would never want to come back to green bay

thats how shitting the whole situation got when he left. he burned every bridge imaginable

ThunderDan
12-17-2012, 09:00 AM
longwell will never be allowed back in green bay, and longwell would never want to come back to green bay

thats how shitting the whole situation got when he left. he burned every bridge imaginable

So that's why it takes so long to get across Butte Des Morts going to the Pack games!

cheesner
12-17-2012, 09:09 AM
If you take away his 50+ yd attempts Crosby is 16-21 (76%). It's his miserable record with 50+ yarders that is driving his FG percentage so far south of the Mendoza line. I can't help but wonder if McCarthy's tendency to put Crosby out there for anything and everything under 60 yards hasn't contributed to his struggles this year. In baseball, when hitters are in a slump they get out of it by abandoning the urge to pull everything and instead try to hit everything up the middle. As long as they're not auditioning Crosby's replacement at this late date in the season, I would try to get him back on track by putting him out there only when the ball is inside the opponent's 25.

Well that would move him up to 29th place. That still sucks. Besides 50+ yarders are a reasonable expectation and a part of the game too. It should be a part of the equation in determining if we keep him or not.

woodbuck27
12-17-2012, 09:11 AM

Yes that's the first thing that stands out. Mason Crosby's eight 50+ yard attempts and how that could be in any manner related to being a confidence booster.

Taking those atempts away. Should any NFL team be pleased with a 76% success rate and an ineligibility for a FG over 50 yards?

If Minny fails to make the post season. Is there any way we can rent Blair Walsh. He's 8 for 8 at 50+ yards. Hasn't the LIONS Jason Hanson ever wished he could take up residence at Lambeau Field?

Seriously... anything below 80% efficiency in the NFL today is very bad. So 'just pretend that' your the GM and/or HC of the PACKERS and want this fixed. What are the possibilities to do that? Who's out there to hire; because nothing short of a long stay in some positive thinking clinic is going to cure our guy?

How about Neil Rackers? Wonder if he would enjoy some stay in Green Bay?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Rackers

Maybe we can call on these fellows to help get Mason back on track?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2x3JsBEV--Q2IWeitTfB72z9zxSACvAEN2nzS1ou5YoIJypo_dw

GO PACKERS !

pbmax
12-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Well that would move him up to 29th place. That still sucks. Besides 50+ yarders are a reasonable expectation and a part of the game too. It should be a part of the equation in determining if we keep him or not.

I agree its bad, but I really think those long ones are messing with his mind or technique. I think attempting one changes his approach in some way. Though if stories about his practices are true, it would only seem to be happening during games. He has to have the record for most upright hits in a season.

woodbuck27
12-17-2012, 09:22 AM
I agree its bad, but I really think those long ones are messing with his mind or technique. I think attempting one changes his approach in some way. Though if stories about his practices are true, it would only seem to be happening during games. He has to have the record for most upright hits in a season.

Our team hasn't got time to puzzel this out. Our team needs a solid kicker. PERIOD.

PACKERS !

red
12-17-2012, 09:26 AM

if you take away his 50+ yard attempts then you have to do that for everyone else on the list.

when you do that, mason still ranks near, or at , the bottom of the list

LegandofthePack15
12-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Wow, the rookie Blair Walsh is 8-8 from 50 or beyond.

Quit making excuses that 50+ kicks are coin flips.

Crosby's incompetent. Plain and simple.

Zool
12-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Wow, the rookie Blair Walsh is 8-8 from 50 or beyond.

Who is available and better? Instead of saying stupid shit over and over, propose a solution.

Smeefers
12-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Our team hasn't got time to puzzel this out. Our team needs a solid kicker. PERIOD.

PACKERS !

This. I used to be an ardent supporter of Crosby, but he's slit his own throat here. Anyone walking on the street would be a better option than him at this point.

Pugger
12-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Maybe we should bring in a shrink instead...?

woodbuck27
12-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Maybe we should bring in a shrink instead...?

Can he kick? TT has to get in touch with (36+ year old) Neil Rackers.

See #5.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012KP.php

PA Pack Fan
12-17-2012, 10:07 AM

................^ This.

Patler
12-17-2012, 10:08 AM
In the past, TT and MM pulled the plug mid-season on players intended to have key roles. Carroll, Thomas and Rouse all went from being a starter one week to being on the street the next. The way TT and MM are standing behind Crosby, it sort of makes me wonder if there is more to the story than we are aware of, although I haven't the slightest clue what that could be.

Their approach with Crosby is surprising for how long it has gone on. I commend them for not panicing over something that happens for a few weeks, or even a month. This is now going on two months. If they really do not want to lose him long term, as the injury list shortens, they might have to consider adding a second kicker and keeping Crosby much as Sherman kept two punters. I really don't see a need for that, however.

denverYooper
12-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Just let Masthay kick FGs. You can't stop the Ginger wolverine.

Pugger
12-17-2012, 10:21 AM
In the past, TT and MM pulled the plug mid-season on players intended to have key roles. Carroll, Thomas and Rouse all went from being a starter one week to being on the street the next. The way TT and MM are standing behind Crosby, it sort of makes me wonder if there is more to the story than we are aware of, although I haven't the slightest clue what that could be.

Their approach with Crosby is surprising for how long it has gone on. I commend them for not panicing over something that happens for a few weeks, or even a month. This is now going on two months. If they really do not want to lose him long term, as the injury list shortens, they might have to consider adding a second kicker and keeping Crosby much as Sherman kept two punters. I really don't see a need for that, however.

Maybe they feel there isn't anybody out there that would be appreciably better?

Patler
12-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Maybe they feel there isn't anybody out there that would be appreciably better?

Ya, it would seem that way. But now that he is missing even 40-50 yarders regularly; they might have second thoughts.

mraynrand
12-17-2012, 10:38 AM
If you take away Crosby's misses, he's had a great year.

Tony Oday
12-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Im surprised they allowed him on the plane?!

jklowan
12-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Im surprised they allowed him on the plane?!

Maybe he is injured and they are not telling us

woodbuck27
12-17-2012, 11:40 AM

No I believe MM is injured (his brain is frozen) and it's perfectly obvious:

MM on Mason Crosby and any thoughts of replacing Mason Crosby at this time in our season:

"We're going to go into work tomorrow and we're going to watch the tape and he's (Mason Crosby) going to get down there and we're going to swing at it. We're not changing our kicker, so you can write that down right now. He's our guy. He needs to make those kicks. He knows that. We're at that time of year. We've been taking the long 50-yard opportunities preparing him to make the game-winner. So I have all the confidence when we line up at home in Lambeau that we're going to go out there and we're going to have our spot and we're going to have a field-position plan and we're going to line up and kick it when that opportunity comes. He has to do his part." Green bay Packer HC Mike McCarthy

HOLY COW ! Mike McCarthy :hug: Mason Crosby. Touching.

Sadly that will cost us.

KYPack
12-17-2012, 11:49 AM
A somewhat similar thing happened here in Cincy. Bengal FG man Mike Nugent hurt his calf mid-week. The Bengals brought in Rackers, Billy Cundiff , & Josh Brown. When Nugent remained gimpy, the Bengals signed Josh Brown. Brown played that Sunday and hit a 40 yarder like it was nothing. They are keeping both guys, hoping Nugent will be right for the play-offs.

Cincy's roster is nowhere as deep as ours. For us to cut somebody to keep two K's, it means we'd lose a good ballplayer.

But, if you can get a new kicker when yours has a sore calf, can't you get a new guy if your kicker has a sore head?

Cundiff made one of the most famous choke jobs in NFL history, Rackers is more than just a little nuts.

Let's sign one of em!

Patler
12-17-2012, 11:54 AM

But if that were the case, I would think it would also show up in his kickoffs.

pbmax
12-17-2012, 11:59 AM
But if that were the case, I would think it would also show up in his kickoffs.

Plus the urge to tell everyone would be hard to resist. As stingy as the Packers can be about diagnosis and rehab timetable, they don't let injured players suffer publicly so the can realize a subtle advantage over the opponent.

The closest this year is Lang's elbow, but even that was public, if not widely known to be serious.

red
12-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Who is available and better? Instead of saying stupid shit over and over, propose a solution.

why would he?

has partial/tank ever added anything useful to anything on here or the old JSO?

Guiness
12-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Ya, it would seem that way. But now that he is missing even 40-50 yarders regularly; they might have second thoughts.

Yup, I wonder if they re-evaluate after the two misses (42 and 43?) yesterday.

Rackers and Cundiff are the two obvious guys out there. I knew Cundiff was loco, Rackers I didn't. He had one good and one very good season for Houston, I'd think his phone ringing would be a good thing. It would be nice if we could hold on to Crosby one way or another, I do think his problem is temporary.

red
12-17-2012, 12:12 PM
i think one big reason that crosby is still here is that it sounds like he's making everything in practice. tough to fault a guy doing everything right the other 6 days of the week, and even in pregame

Patler
12-17-2012, 12:17 PM
i think one big reason that crosby is still here is that it sounds like he's making everything in practice. tough to fault a guy doing everything right the other 6 days of the week, and even in pregame

Especially when he was solid last year, set a team record for consecutive field goals, and started the season very well.
But at some point......

Patler
12-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Cundiff has always been erratic, hasn't he?
Rackers isn't ancient for a kicker, and has always been pretty good; yet no one seems to want him now. Must not make a good first impression!!!

red
12-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Especially when he was solid last year, set a team record for consecutive field goals, and started the season very well.
But at some point......

thats why i would love to find a way where he can be injured was we can IR him

bring in a new guy for the playoffs, then see if mase can get his head straight next year

maybe he has a brain injury, or leg problem?

mraynrand
12-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Cundiff has always been erratic, hasn't he?
Rackers isn't ancient for a kicker, and has always been pretty good; yet no one seems to want him now. Must not make a good first impression!!!

They probably don't kick well in practice

PA Pack Fan
12-17-2012, 12:32 PM
I think this team wins in spite of the coaching not because of it. The playcalling in critical situations baffles me, especially the 3rd and 5 type where Rodgers throws a 30 yrd incompletion. Do I even mention the trick play?

Why is it guards, tackles, running backs, recievers and linebackers can be replaced with backups at anytime, but for some stupid reason, Crosby is the only player in the universe that can (attempt to) kick a fucking potato thru two sticks?

Guiness
12-17-2012, 12:39 PM
But at some point......

Exactly. And that 'some point' is when he could well cost us a playoff game.

The Redskins have always been a blackhole of kickers, and this fall was no different. They had Rackers and Gano in camp, seemingly going with Gano when they cut Rackers. Except the next day they cut Gano and signed, you guessed it, Cundiff! He lasted until early October, when they brought in a guy named Kai Forbath, who happens to be kickint FGs at a 100% clip right now. Gano is in Carolina, Rackers and Cundiff, as mentioned earlier, are FAs.

Patler
12-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Didn't Rackers lead the league in touchbacks almost every year, by quite a bit, before they moved the kickoffs up?

Upnorth
12-17-2012, 01:05 PM

Walsh (Minn Kicker) is 8 for 8 at 50+. I dont think it would be fair in this day and age to give him a pass at 50+. I realize a dome is different, but 1-8 is crap. the league average looks to be slightly over 50% at 50+ and I would Appreciate having an average kicker.

pbmax
12-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Kickoff distance was the reason Rackers faded in Arizona and unreliability for long FGs cost him in Texas. Looks like age caught up with him.

Also read that he struggles outdoors, though that is far from clear. Pro Football Reference splits don't include indoor/versus outdoor, but he gets better as year goes on (Novem best career month) and doesn't have much drop off home versus road and he began in Cincy. Small sample, but Jan is his best month.

Bossman641
12-17-2012, 01:48 PM
I think this team wins in spite of the coaching not because of it. The playcalling in critical situations baffles me, especially the 3rd and 5 type where Rodgers throws a 30 yrd incompletion. Do I even mention the trick play?

Why is it guards, tackles, running backs, recievers and linebackers can be replaced with backups at anytime, but for some stupid reason, Crosby is the only player in the universe that can (attempt to) kick a fucking potato thru two sticks?

Not picking on you specifically, but this type of analysis drives me nuts. I am assuming you are talking about the deep pass up the right sideline to Jennings late in the game? Jennings had steps, the pass just was overthrown.

Jones caught his first td on third and 4. When the shots are there you have to take them.

woodbuck27
12-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Walsh (Minn Kicker) is 8 for 8 at 50+. I dont think it would be fair in this day and age to give him a pass at 50+. I realize a dome is different, but 1-8 is crap. the league average looks to be slightly over 50% at 50+ and I would Appreciate having an average kicker.

Are you available Upnorth?

Mason Crosby has a streak going. He's missed a FG in 9 straight games where he's had an attempt. A disturbing habit to the point that when he hits one it's a surprize to everyone ...even himself. In week three (3) he was 5 for 5.

Then the wheels came off.

In two games he wasn't called upon to attempt a kick. In the other nine (9) games Mason Crosby was 12 for 24 or 50% and missed all attempts at 50+ yards. Yet he remains the Green Bay Packer 'errrr .... kicker'.

That makes zero sense.

Just bring someone...anyone in for a try out. Anybody would be as good as Mason Crosby. Ohh I'm mistaken:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1447752-packers-mason-crosby-is-here-for-the-season-folks-more-nfc-north-news

"...... who is available? Neil Rackers? Nate Kaeding?( Uhh ..... Ryan Longwell ..... emphasis added) ? These guys all have names you might recognize and in some cases, remember as being attached to successful stints in the league. All those stints ended much like Crosby's might. That being said, really all it would be is change for change's sake, which is really the last thing you want at this late date. Fr. LINK

So when he lines the next one up. Simply close your eyes and pray for him.

GO PACKERS !

Patler
12-17-2012, 03:37 PM
I really hate to say this, but Mason Crosby seems to have developed Conway-itis.

Conway had a couple poor exhibition outings as a rookie, over-kicked in an attempt to correct it, strained a leg muscle, was shelved and Longwell came in. The next year Conway was healthy and, with a much stronger leg, was expected to take the job from Longwell, who at that time could barely get a 45 yarder home, let alone anything longer. They always said Conway looked great in practice, but would get in games and simply miss too many. He bounced around the league for a while, kicked mostly with the 'Skins, but never got it together.

PA Pack Fan
12-17-2012, 03:42 PM
I really hate to say this, but Mason Crosby seems to have developed Conway-itis.

Conway had a couple poor exhibition outings as a rookie, over-kicked in an attempt to correct it, strained a leg muscle, was shelved and Longwell came in. The next year Conway was healthy and, with a much stronger leg, was expected to take the job from Longwell, who at that time could barely get a 45 yarder home, let alone anything longer. They always said Conway looked great in practice, but would get in games and simply miss too many. He bounced around the league for a while, kicked mostly with the 'Skins, but never got it together.
This Conway you speak of...................is he interested in another shot?

Patler
12-17-2012, 03:48 PM
This Conway you speak of...................is he interested in another shot?

Actually, he is a year younger than Ryan Longwell, but has been out of the league for quite a long time.

woodbuck27
12-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Two weeks ago the San Fran 49ers reportedly worked out a possible replacement fo the struggling David 'Lefty' Akers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000101964/article/report-billy-cundiff-nate-kaeding-work-out-for-49ers

" The Niners' David Akers, a 14-year-veteran, has struggled this season, converting just 19-of-27 attempts. Akers missed a 50-yarder in Sunday's win over the New Orleans Saints and had another kick blocked.

Cundiff and Kaeding don't exactly boast spotless records. Cundiff infamously botched a 32-yard field-goal attempt in last season's AFC championship for the Baltimore Ravens and was released by the Washington Redskins earlier this year. Kaeding was a long-time regular-season gem for the San Diego Chargers but remains a dubious 8 of 15 in the postseason. " Fr. LINK

Last night on SNF and San Fran @ NE.... 'Survivor' David Akers was 2 of 3 with a 20 and a 28 yard FG.

Sometimes it's 'just best' to go with what you know or admit that there is no easy solution.

GO PACKERS !

Fosco33
12-17-2012, 07:08 PM
I found one observation key - I listened to the game on am620 and of course they spoke about Crosby's struggles after the 1st miss. Then I got home and watched the game - and it was a 5min 'Crosby' Show....

I get it - sure. They will need a high confidence % kick in the playoffs. But with the way our offense moves in the red zone - not kicking 50+ could pin the opponents back and swap for field position. And if we go for it on 4th downs and make a TD half the time - it plays out to be in our favor from a points perspective.

That's why I was actually shocked that M3 didn't go for the 1st down prior to Mason's second miss. It was what - like 4th and 1, the Pack was up 21-10 and had moved the ball 50yards in 4min.

M3 has to have a more consistent approach - otherwise those unsaid decisions and randomness can mess with the kickers seemingly fragile brain.

Me - I defer to M3. If Mason is the guy - then the team (media) just need to let it ride. Besides the Indy game (0 for 2 - both from 50+), he hasn't cost us a game - in a few years.

Bretsky
12-17-2012, 07:13 PM

bring back Longwell; he's money from inside 42

I kind of wish we had Mare

Guiness
12-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Kaeding is out there??? Wow, he's struggled in the post season, but had some incredible years in San Diego! He had a pretty bad injury, I wonder if he lost some leg strength and can't do it anymore? I'm really surprised he's on the street.

channtheman
12-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Easy solution, go for it every time we are in field goal range. The extra TD's we score will offset not kicking the field goal, and will actually be better as we wouldn't make the field goal anyway.

mmmdk
12-17-2012, 08:24 PM

Longwell doesn't like the food in Green Bay and I agree on Mare!

woodbuck27
12-17-2012, 08:31 PM

Mare? That name slips me.

woodbuck27
12-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Easy solution, go for it every time we are in field goal range. The extra TD's we score will offset not kicking the field goal, and will actually be better as we wouldn't make the field goal anyway.

So we don't even need a FG kicker. That position under your scheme is redundant and we can use that roster spot for a player that may be able to contribute.

GREAT. Send a memo to TT and/or MM.

digitaldean
12-17-2012, 09:23 PM

Yeah, then we hear how Masthay screwed up the hold when Capt. Applebee's shanks a FG or blames Slocum when he can't kickoff the ball to the 15 yard line...

pbmax
12-17-2012, 09:37 PM
I think McCarthy has been consistent this year. There are only two instances I can recall (one yesterday and one earlier this year) where he did not attempt a long field goal that was inside whatever target range Crosby gave him after warmups*. There have been some fourth downs that were bypassed because it was late and a TD was needed.

I would like him to take that consistency and shorten whatever distance Crosby gives him by 5-10 yards. If Mason says he's good from 52, then forget anything longer than 47.

Reporters usually Tweet those attempts, M3 has discussed them other times, and other times its clear where the line is based on playcalling or previous attempts in the game.

Bretsky
12-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Mare? That name slips me.

It's too late
Olindo Mare; he's been kicking for about 20 yrs it seems
Dude has to be in lower 40's

Bears nabbed him after Robbie Gould went down so he's taken

3irty1
12-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Mare can be just as Crosby as Crosby. He went through a period of pure trash for the Saints a few years ago before losing his job.

digitaldean
12-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Here are the top 10 available kickers according to rotoworld.com
Kickers
1. Nate Kaeding
2. Ryan Longwell
3. John Kasay
4. Billy Cundiff
5. Neil Rackers
6. Justin Medlock
7. Dave Rayner
8. David Buehler
9. John Potter
10. Garrett Lindholm

#'s 6, 8, 9 and 10 I have NO clue who they are. Heck I'd consider Kasay. He's as old as dirt in football years (he was the Panther's kicker in the NFCC vs. Green Bay). If Crosby misses any FG attempts at Lambeau vs. Tennessee on Sunday, their may be bands of howling fans with pitchforks demanding a change. Though I do admire McCarthy's standing by his kicker, it could bite him in the arse something huge if we lose a playoff game due a missed (or multiple missed) FGs.

digitaldean
12-17-2012, 09:50 PM
All these kickers have some consistency issues otherwise they'd be on a team by now. Kaeding got buried on IR until he squawked enough to the Chargers that he wasn't hurt. He's sub.500 in the playoffs. Cundiff was inconsistent. Longwell, as much as I detest that little snob, is the best of the bunch. Cundiff or Rackers may be taken anyway because the Niners had them both in to possibly replace Akers.

KYPack
12-17-2012, 10:07 PM
It's too late

Mare is 39. The Bears signed Mare after a kicking tryout vs (you've seen these names before) Billy Cundiff and Neil Rackers. John Kasay is 43, BTW.

Good list, DD. I was trying to make a list like that, but didn't know where to look.

Mare and Josh Brown could both be available if Gould or Nugent get healthy.

digitaldean
12-17-2012, 10:14 PM
With Gould on IR, Mare is a Bear for the remainder of the season. Brown wouldn't be bad all things considered.

pbmax
12-17-2012, 11:04 PM
John Hall.

Willard
12-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Crosby is 43 for 43 inside the 30, he gets good distance on kickoffs, has great technique on onside kicks, and was really entertaining on "Game of Thrones". I think the Pack keeps him, and goes for it on 4th down every frickin time b/w the 15 and the 40 yard line. That will give the football world something to talk about.

swede
12-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Crosby is 43 for 43 inside the 30, he gets good distance on kickoffs, has great technique on onside kicks, and was really entertaining on "Game of Thrones". I think the Pack keeps him, and goes for it on 4th down every frickin time b/w the 15 and the 40 yard line. That will give the football world something to talk about.

Willard!

Good post, man.

Good to hear from you.

mraynrand
12-18-2012, 10:44 AM

I second the good post comment; although to add an element of seriousness, depending on the circumstances, there's no shame in punting from the 25-30 yard line out, depending down and distance, on the weather, and on the opponent. If it's fourth and long, and Packer defense is shutting a team down, give Masthay and Bush a chance to pin them inside the 10.

woodbuck27
12-18-2012, 10:48 AM
It's too late

Thank You B. :-D

39 year old Olindo Mare. Undrafted in 1996 and kicking in the NFL since his debute 1997 (Miami Dolphins). Olindo Mare has a career field goal percentage of 81.2% and is considered to be one of the best in the league at kickoffs, with a career average of 63.8 yards.

He's kicked for Miami Dolphins (1997–2006); New Orleans Saints (2007); Seattle Seahawks (2008–2010); Carolina Panthers (2011) and ** Chicago Bears (2012).

** On December 11, 2012, the Bears signed Mare to a 1-year deal due to an injury to Robbie Gould. Mare beat out Billy Cundiff and Neil Racker for the job.

Olindo Mare played his first game as a Bear this past Sunday, December 16, 2012 at Lambeau Field. He was successful on both of his 34 yard FG attempts in a losing cause, as da Bears fell 21-13. That victory earned the Packers their third straight NFCN Championship .

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
12-18-2012, 11:00 AM
All these kickers have some consistency issues otherwise they'd be on a team by now. Kaeding got buried on IR until he squawked enough to the Chargers that he wasn't hurt. He's sub.500 in the playoffs. Cundiff was inconsistent. Longwell, as much as I detest that little snob, is the best of the bunch. Cundiff or Rackers may be taken anyway because the Niners had them both in to possibly replace Akers.

David 'Lefty' Akers is hanging in there digitaldean with a 2/3 performance Vs NE (20 & 28 yard FG's) this past Sunday night; a huge 41-34 win for the 49ers.

woodbuck27
12-18-2012, 11:06 AM

Ohh... and I never saw it. Mason Crosby on Game of Thrones... HUGE !

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120531205352/gameofthrones/images/thumb/2/26/Tyrion_2x09.jpg/250px-Tyrion_2x09.jpg

woodbuck27
12-18-2012, 11:10 AM
John Hall.

That fella is fortunate if he's not in a wheel chair and besides he's too busy slinging burgers.

denverYooper
12-18-2012, 11:12 AM
I second the good post comment; although to add an element of seriousness, depending on the circumstances, there's no shame in punting from the 25-30 yard line out, depending down and distance, on the weather, and on the opponent. If it's fourth and long, and Packer defense is shutting a team down, give Masthay and Bush a chance to pin them inside the 10.

The quants will freak out if this is the strategy the Packers employ (This + Willard's).

Guiness
12-18-2012, 12:18 PM
I wonder if Martin Gramatica is FINALLY healed up? Hell of a kicker who got hurt and spent 3-4 seasons bouncing around the league never quite getting healthy again. That was what, five years ago? He'd be in his later 30's, which is no problem for a kicker. He and his brothers ran a kicking camp for a few years!

denverYooper
12-18-2012, 12:36 PM
I wonder if Martin Gramatica is FINALLY healed up? Hell of a kicker who got hurt and spent 3-4 seasons bouncing around the league never quite getting healthy again. That was what, five years ago? He'd be in his later 30's, which is no problem for a kicker. He and his brothers ran a kicking camp for a few years!

I don't want that son-of-a-bitch on this team.

woodbuck27
12-18-2012, 12:51 PM

I heard that he and his brother visited a whore house and they never left.

woodbuck27
12-18-2012, 12:52 PM
I don't want that son-of-a-bitch on this team.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Guiness
12-18-2012, 12:57 PM
lol, I know nothing of the private side of these two guys! Just that they were some of the best kickers in the NFL for a few years, had fiery dispositions, going nuts after kicking field goals, both got injured and never came back!

Joemailman
12-18-2012, 01:05 PM
I think Crosby should come up with some kind of Gramatica-style celebration the next time he makes a kick.

pbmax
12-18-2012, 02:11 PM

Too close. Too much of a chance for a touchback, though Masthay seems to have developed a bit of a knack for a coffin corner punt; the one Bush caught at the 2.

If no FG, go for it on 4th down anywhere inside the 40 at least.

woodbuck27
12-18-2012, 02:40 PM
OK seriously TT has to be thinking of making a change at kicker after another bad game for Mason Crosby Vs the Bears last Sunday.

There is absoluitely no way that TT and MM can let this serous problem slide. We need a confident kicker to go deep in the playoffs not a 'wish and a prayer' approach to the kicking game.

So I offer you this article written after the game with the Lions on Nov. 18, 2012. note that since that game Mason Crosby has been in four games and his record on FG's is 6 for 11 or 55%. Here's the article where the author promotes veteren kicker Neil Rackers as an NFL experienced kicker to at least offer Mason Crosby some competition or replace him.

NFL Rumors: Should Green Bay Packers Sign K Neil Rackers?

** 29 days ago

By Michael Terrill ... ** and ... it's now Dec. 18, 2012.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/11/18/nfl-rumors-should-green-bay-packers-sign-k-neil-rackers/

" Green Bay must consider bringing in another kicker to give Crosby competition in practice or possibly even replace him if it comes to it. A solid placekicker that would be open for the job is (Neil) Rackers. The 13-year veteran converted 84.2 percent of his field goal attempts with the Houston Texans last season and has not fallen below that mark on a season in four years.

Rackers was cut by the Washington Redskins in August and is currently unemployed. He no longer has a big leg like Crosby does but he certainly makes a much higher percentage of field goals, which is what the Packers need. There is a good chance bringing in Rackers will not solve the current crisis on special teams as there is no guarantee he can deliver. However, Green Bay must consider this option if Crosby continues missing kicks."

Then I read the following and submit to 'the fact I'm just a Packer fan':

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21415623/packers-sticking-with-struggling-kicker-crosby

GO PACKERS !

red
12-18-2012, 04:13 PM
i'd rather have kaeding

red
12-18-2012, 04:14 PM

which gramatica blew out his knee celebrating an extra point?

i don't want that one

esoxx
12-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Bill

Guiness
12-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Bill

Yup, Martin had some sort of an abdominal injury. I think it wasn't taken seriously by him or the teams, and like a lot of soft tissue injuries that are not allowed to heal properly, it lingered.

Red - Bill blew out his knee after a FG during his rookie season. He also famously missed an extra point for the Dolphins, and they lost the game by 1pt! I remember that 'cause he was cut the next day. IIRC it was the only time in his career he missed an extra point!

Jimx29
12-18-2012, 06:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/5klQ4.jpg

Joemailman
12-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Yup, Martin had some sort of an abdominal injury. I think it wasn't taken seriously by him or the teams, and like a lot of soft tissue injuries that are not allowed to heal properly, it lingered.

Red - Bill blew out his knee after a FG during his rookie season. He also famously missed an extra point for the Dolphins, and they lost the game by 1pt! I remember that 'cause he was cut the next day. IIRC it was the only time in his career he missed an extra point!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK81Ej5hm8s

Bretsky
12-18-2012, 06:24 PM
i'd rather have kaeding

Kaeding scares me; he's like Crosby.....loads of talent...big leg....lost his confidence

If we bring somebody in they have to be reliable

John Kasey and Longwell would fit the bill.

John Hall....blaaaaa. He's been erratic since College.

Guiness
12-18-2012, 06:25 PM
I don't think Crosby is done, and I think we should keep him around and see if he can get his head straight next TC. However, right now, something has to go before he costs us a game. A playoff game. Keep him around as a kickoff specialist. Yes, I know it means someone else has to go, but it wasn't that long ago the Pack carried 3 QB's and/or a kickoff specialist.

Of the available kickers, Kaeding is the most interesting as a guy who could be really good, but I think he's a reclamation project as well, so I think Rackers looks the best. I don't know anything about Kasay, but I'd sure rather have him than Cundiff.

KYPack
12-18-2012, 08:51 PM
I don't think Crosby is done, and I think we should keep him around and see if he can get his head straight next TC. However, right now, something has to go before he costs us a game. A playoff game. Keep him around as a kickoff specialist. Yes, I know it means someone else has to go, but it wasn't that long ago the Pack carried 3 QB's and/or a kickoff specialist.

Of the available kickers, Kaeding is the most interesting as a guy who could be really good, but I think he's a reclamation project as well, so I think Rackers looks the best. I don't know anything about Kasay, but I'd sure rather have him than Cundiff.

I dunno, Guiness.

If we cut him, we cut him.

Our roster is pretty dense. Keeping two K's might not be in the program.

Cut "Miss" Crosby and take our chances with Rackers, Kasay, or whoever.

It's time to fish or cut the misser.

I gotta give some bit of props to brando19. He said to cut Crosby pre-maturely, but he turned out right, all righty.

woodbuck27
12-18-2012, 10:15 PM
I dunno, Guiness.

If we cut him, we cut him.

Our roster is pretty dense. Keeping two K's might not be in the program.

Cut "Miss" Crosby and take our chances with Rackers, Kasay, or whoever.

It's time to fish or cut the misser.

I gotta give some bit of props to brando19. He said to cut Crosby pre-maturely, but he turned out right, all righty.

OK being Canadian I feel nice tonight.

I'd give Mason Crosby one more game at Lambeau Field Vs Tennessee to demonstrate 'something positive' or he packs his bags. I wouldn't let on that this will be his fate. Besides Mason Crosby doesn't feel he's in any jeopardy. That bothers me. I realize that a kicker must be in a positive frame of mind but then there's such a thing as a reality check.

Get errrr done Mason or bye bye.

It's not how confident Mason Crosby is in himself but rather how confident the Packer management and coach's must be in Mason Crosby. That confidence must be backed up with RESULTS !

GO PACKERS !

Jimx29
12-19-2012, 05:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/HNnR8.jpg

denverYooper
12-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Where's the one where he hits the seat?